Sign in to follow this  
964racer

Looking for a J/32 in California

Interested in a J/32 in California if anyone knows of one coming on the market in a few months...I'm looking for a racer/cruiser that I can single-hand but also take on some extended trips (3-4 days) with my wife around the coast - or maybe even a transpac some day (?).   Also if anyone has any other suggested J/Boats in a similar price range I should check out. Bay area is closest for me...

I think the vast majority of J-32s are on the East Coast...might be some in Seattle?  Maybe call the J boat dealer up there and see what he knows???

Assume you've seen this J-33 in Seattle (not sure this is a good time to go to Seattle...)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/j-boats-j-33-3658590/

What about a J/92?  No standing headroom, but otherwise could work...cruising the islands would just be a bit more like camping...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/j-boats-j-92-3611186/

Or a J/105 if standing headroom not a requirement to cruise the islands?  There is an early one in TX on a trailer for 38k...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/j-boats-j-105-3585695/

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crash said:

I think the vast majority of J-32s are on the East Coast...might be some in Seattle?  Maybe call the J boat dealer up there and see what he knows???

Assume you've seen this J-33 in Seattle (not sure this is a good time to go to Seattle...)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/j-boats-j-33-3658590/

Or a J/105 if standing headroom not a requirement to cruise the islands?  There is an early one in TX on a trailer for 38k...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/j-boats-j-105-3585695/

I saw that J-33 advertised in Seattle a few days ago (was pointed to by a member in the single-hand forum) and sent the broker an email message. Not sure how I would get it to the bay area, but he might have some suggestions :-). 

There seems to be a good supply of boats in Seattle, but I actually don't really want to travel at all by air right now. (in fact, I don't want to really travel at all).  So I'm looking around in hope things will get better in a month or two.  I am assuming it's going to take me 6 mo to find a boat, so better start now. 

The J/105 looks nice.  I have not investigated too much because they might (currently) be above my price range.   You never know.

From my research it does seem like for the core hull boats, maybe later is better.  I'll check out the one in TX.  

In my 10 yrs of commissioning J's in SoCal I can only remember one J-32 being sold, kept at SDYC.

There was a J32 in Long Beach at Shoreline YC maybe ten years ago (didn't race, so I've lost track of it) and another in King Harbor or MDR more recently.

Just amazes me how well the J92 ages. And holds it's value. 

10 hours ago, longy said:

In my 10 yrs of commissioning J's in SoCal I can only remember one J-32 being sold, kept at SDYC.

If there are so few out here , maybe I need to change my expectations.

According to J Boats, they built 85 of them.  But as I said on the other thread, if it's the right boat, it might be worth having one transported.  Not that a J-32 can't do a Transpac type race (it certainly can), due to is small foretriangle, its forte is not going downwind for days on end....

• Like 1

There are currently two J-32's in Santa Barbara and one in Marina del Rey. None are for sale at the moment. 

Btw. If you are looking at the J-32 don't bother with the 33.  Completely different design briefs. In fact, IMHO, there are no other comparable boats to the 32 in the J-line up until you get to the 42.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

There are currently two J-32's in Santa Barbara and one in Marina del Rey. None are for sale at the moment. 

Btw. If you are looking at the J-32 don't bother with the 33.  Completely different design briefs. In fact, IMHO, there are no other comparable boats to the 32 in the J-line up until you get to the 42.

Thanks for the Santa Barbara reference...at least nice to know there are a few in CA.

Yes, I did notice that after looking at all the specs on their site (they have made a lot of boats !).   Is there anything else in the J/Boat line similar to an Olson 911 or perhaps Olson 34 ?   I looked at an Olson 911 and it does have the creature comforts I would need for short term cruising (standing headroom, stove, fridge etc.) but it also performs well (albeit a bit small).   the J/32 might be even more of a cruiser than the Olson 911  - but  the J33 or J105, they are definitely more in the sport/racer category with spartan interiors...

4 hours ago, Crash said:

According to J Boats, they built 85 of them.  But as I said on the other thread, if it's the right boat, it might be worth having one transported.  Not that a J-32 can't do a Transpac type race (it certainly can), due to is small foretriangle, its forte is not going downwind for days on end....

Yes, thanks for mentioning that. I had forgotten that my goal one day is to do the Single-Hand transpac but I guess to "complete" it vs wanting to "win" it might be two different things. I probably wouldn't care if I won in class or not (but that's what I said about bicycle racing and got into competing :-) It's going to be a bit of a journey to find what I am looking for, partly because I don't really know yet.  I do tend to sail mostly single-handed and I would really like to do a single-hand ocean race locally.  I need more experience to know for sure that I would want to do a transpac, but it is certainly on the bucket list.  So buying a boat that is very much weighted towards racing, may not be a good idea.  I'm thinking racer-cruiser (but functional cruise that my wife would feel comfortable on.)

Thanks all, I am actually considering a non J/Boat at the moment as I saw something recently I liked locally that is available -  I didn't realize that there were very few J/32's out in California and I'm not really interested in trucking one in...  In case this one falls through for some reason, I certainly will keep the channel open on potential J/Boats that might fit my profile.  

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, Hitchhiker said:

I own a J-32 in Florida it is a single couple sleeper with a Huge interior rates 120 PHRF I have added a Tro-Gear to the front of the boat which gave it a 3 sec per mile rating hit on the other hand it added 200 sir. Ft to the asym spinn to pick up the lost down wind speed great boat well built I have hull#1

J-32 http://www.jboats.com/j32-performance

Edited by Wildhair11
Add url

Your preferred boat type is a good one, but fairly narrow compared to a basic cruiser. Between that and your budget you may need to expand your search area. Don't discount the PNW, on my dock alone there is an express 34, 37, J 35 C, and a 911. They are not for sale now, but with this economy I suspect more boats will be hitting the market soon. If you don't want to fly it is a safe 2 day drive, one if you push some caffine and have someone along to help. We are on the downside of the virus curve at the momment and the marinas are open. 

Other common boats in our are to consider would be a C&C 99 if a wheel is ok, or a J30 if you want to save some money and can find a good one.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:59 AM, steele said:

Your preferred boat type is a good one, but fairly narrow compared to a basic cruiser. Between that and your budget you may need to expand your search area. Don't discount the PNW, on my dock alone there is an express 34, 37, J 35 C, and a 911. They are not for sale now, but with this economy I suspect more boats will be hitting the market soon. If you don't want to fly it is a safe 2 day drive, one if you push some caffine and have someone along to help. We are on the downside of the virus curve at the momment and the marinas are open. 

Other common boats in our are to consider would be a C&C 99 if a wheel is ok, or a J30 if you want to save some money and can find a good one.

Interesting you mention this.. I have been looking at express 34/37's since my last message (and also Olson 34's/911). I really like the cockpit layout and the overall design of the express boats .. The interior has enough creature comforts in it to keep my wife happy and I want to try some ocean racing here in the bay area with sss.  I am thinking a 34 is going to be a better SH boat for me, but they didn't make as many of those as the 37 - so I am looking at 37's too and hoping to get some second opinions..  I've sailed mostly wheels but only because that was what is available in my club, but liked the tiller when I sailed a capri 30 for a quite a while in the 90's.   There is a E37 on the market in the bay area but it looks like a tricked out racing boat (lots of sails and racing gear and no interior photos).  Is your dock in Alameda by any chance ?