Sign in to follow this  
Editor

what's your yacht club doing?

Recommended Posts

Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron has closed its doors, suspended all racing and is providing no further tangible services to its members. That’s fully understandable. However in a letter sent out yesterday they are still planning to charge full membership fees.

I understand that they will have certain fixed costs that they need to cover but at a time when everyone else is taking a big financial hit, this attitude feels a bit like profiteering? I wonder what other Yacht Clubs around the world are doing?  - Anarchist Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My club is closed for now per state orders. Members may access the property to do something like check on their boat, but the building is shut and no group activities are going on. The club dues are low and also the club has to have them, there is no plan for a refund. There is no "profiteering", this just covers fixed expenses. Plans for racing and jr. sailing are to be determined.

I have no idea what RMYS has in the way of dues or expenses, but most if not all landed clubs have bills that will not go away just because no one is there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a bit of s discussion on The Australian Sailing thread.

But why would you renew a membership to a closed club that will not open until maybe November when for the remaining three months of the season you can buy sail passes.

No club is going to charge introduction fees next year so just re join in 2021

What its the saying, what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most local clubs have cancelled monthly yacht club meetings and numerous other activities but have not yet mitigated membership dues to reflect the reduced value of service.

Following is copy of a letter that I sent to Board of Directors:

Good morning, Xxxxx

Given the fact that Corona Virus Pandemic has been declared a National Emergency, and that XXXX member activities are likely to be severely curtailed, the Board of Directors should consider mitigating payment of 2020 membership dues. 
 
If not, consider the fact that many members will chose not to renew because the benefits received are no longer commensurate to the cost of membership.
 
Attached is XXXX Form 990 which confirms that the XXXX financial reserves would make my proposal not only feasible but also the right thing for the Board of Directors to do immediately.
 
With kindest regards,
Xxxxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to remember you/we are the yacht club and if they goe belly up all those $ invested over the years are down the drain.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, marcus brutus said:

Attached is XXXX Form 990 which confirms that the XXXX financial reserves would make my proposal not only feasible but also the right thing for the Board of Directors to do immediately.

 

8 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

Have to remember you/we are the yacht club and if they goe belly up all those $ invested over the years are down the drain.

Obviously you missed the part in my post dealing with Form 990 Tax Return confirming club's more than adequate financial reserves.

It is unfortunate that some Board of Directors need to be publicly shamed in order for them to do the right thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Editor said:

Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron has closed its doors, suspended all racing and is providing no further tangible services to its members. That’s fully understandable. However in a letter sent out yesterday they are still planning to charge full membership fees.

The letter does not support the claim that the club Squadron “is providing no further tangible services to its members”. On the contrary, it expressly states that “the marina remains open to members and the yard is still operating”.

While those services are presumably of little value to those members who don’t store or maintain boats on the premises, they are not nothing.

8 hours ago, Editor said:

I understand that they will have certain fixed costs that they need to cover but at a time when everyone else is taking a big financial hit, this attitude feels a bit like profiteering?

Who exactly do you believe is “profiteering”?

If you suspect one or more of the General Committee members of trousering club money, report them to the police without delay. Otherwise, realize that ‘you are the club, and the club is you’.

8 hours ago, Editor said:

I wonder what other Yacht Clubs around the world are doing?

I doubt anyone currently has reliable information on that. It may eventually emerge through ICOYC reports.

But in any case, who cares? Such information would be of no use to you. If you learned that (say) Golden Gate YC was considering offering a temporary discount on its dues, are you really prepared to move to San Fransciso and switch club allegiance for the duration of the COVID-19 crisis so that you might benefit from that (hypothetical) reduction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our yacht club is giving away free beer,  free racing, has restructured it membership to make it really easy to join, lobbied the local marina to reduce fees for members, has negotiated cut price rates with the local suppliers and hardstands. Thats not all, it's listening to the members and has a really proactive race committee, has an awesome learn to sail program and is in constant contact with local and nationwide organisation that promote sport, not only that it is politically active in lobbying for on the water rights for all sailors.

Nah just shitting you- its doing fuck all...

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems there are clubs where you are a MEMBER and clubs where you are a CUSTOMER and the attitudes about fees and services are vastly different.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When these clubs are closed they are missing an important revenue stream.  Alcohol.  Most clubs have a substantial membership that doesn't actually sail.  They spend most of their time hanging at the bar.  Clubs have fixed costs and those with docks have additional expenses to cover such as dock insurance and regular maintenance that ain't cheap in ANY way.

Don't expect any cost breaks and possibly even an assessment, (depending on how tight the club savings account is) when things go back to normal.

We have a planned $1,000 assessment due May 1st and a basic dues increase that will go into place Sept 1.  We've already been told those are no going anywhere.  Who ever said sailing is cheap was a liar and you were a fool to believe them.  They don't call it "disposable income" for nothing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our club has had to lay off many of our long-tenured and valued employees due to having to close the restaurant/bar, cancelling catering/banquet events, and cancelling member events.  Many of our members, instead of lobbying for reduced fees, have offered to pay the balance of our annual dues right now in hopes of taking care of the people who work for the club.  They have suspended the restaurant minimums as the restaurant isn't open.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours is shut down.  Club Manager is working from home. 
The caterer who handles our food service is making ribs available for TH pickup and a Friday fish fry available the same way.  No other food being prepared.

Board of Directors will be reviewing our monthly bar/galley minimum spending requirement, as well as our 12 hour per year work requirement.

Annual dues are billed in April and due May 1.  No word yet on what modifications, if any, will occur.

Not sure when launch date is for boats stored on club property.  I would imagine that some owners are getting a bit nervous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a member of two brick-and-mortar clubs, one nationally prominent and the other important in its community (and often a host of major events).

The nationally prominent one is closed, other than for administrative functions, but it is in the process of bringing cultural enrichment online and to the members.  Events such as the monthly book discussion group may be resumed shortly on Zoom.  It's a northeastern club, so the on-the-water season has not started.

The community one also has closed its bars and dining/gathering areas, though the docks, ramps, and grounds remain free to be accessed by members.  More importantly, the kitchen remains wide-open for takeout, and every day they offer a 'family special' dinner for about $30 to feed a family of 4.  One night is fried chicken, the next BBQ, and then maybe Asian stir-fry or fried shrimp (it is a Southern club).  Takeout beer and wine are also available at discounted prices.  This seems to be REALLY popular, particularly the family-style format.  Finally, they are also offering a 'butcher shop' of the meats they are receiving to members at wholesale prices.  It has been selling out rapidly.  I give this club full credit for being adaptable in the crisis and keeping their staff employed as best they can.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our club is a co-op. All property, including our fleet, is jointly owned by the members, all work is volunteered, and annual dues are $350. Our big-ticket expenses are insurance, fleet maintenance, and property taxes, if I remember rightly. We have have a balanced budget each year, with no surplus, and a few bucks in CDs as a reserve. We have nothing to give back in terms of dues. We'll just have to sit it out and go sailing when we can get back together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, toad said:

Our yacht club is giving away free beer,  free racing, has restructured it membership to make it really easy to join, lobbied the local marina to reduce fees for members, has negotiated cut price rates with the local suppliers and hardstands. Thats not all, it's listening to the members and has a really proactive race committee, has an awesome learn to sail program and is in constant contact with local and nationwide organisation that promote sport, not only that it is politically active in lobbying for on the water rights for all sailors.

You make me feel spoiled, my club does all this, and more.

They are having a short break, due to the global pandemic and whatnot, but they have all this years subs already, and nobody seems to be asking for a refund.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my club is completely shut down due to a mayor's decree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Experts have said that some people with the virus are experiencing some slight loss of hearing but being tone deaf is a symptom of an entirely different issue.

F6FAF46A-607E-4F86-977E-D18DBC64E95C.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

‘Bring it on’? Thank god his million dollar toy is safe. That will be of great comfort to the numerous fellow club members who are lining up for social security payments for the first time in their lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Thank god his million dollar toy is safe.

Wife or mistress?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a member of RMYS I am aggrieved that you jumped to a conclusion of profiteering.

The Squadron as per many other Sports organisations and clubs is trying to steer a way through this escalating chaos.

Unfortunately as per the above associations fixed costs still need to be met, so for a club to refund memberships would be irresponsible and harmful to the membership as a whole.

You will note that in the letter from the Commodore provision of assistance to members in financial distress, this is a lot better than other organizations like Australian Football clubs are offering (no refund for a season not played full stop) .

In these stressful times people are prone to jump to negative conclusions without fact checking. Shame on you Mr Editor, for not discussing the full content of the communication, and disrespecting the employees and volunteers of the Squadron by your distorted innuendo.   

Bilbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

‘Bring it on’? Thank god his million dollar toy is safe. That will be of great comfort to the numerous fellow club members who are lining up for social security payments for the first time in their lives. 

Oh, you are just “Envious”. :P

But seriously:

(1) what an absurd tweet. Who gives a shit about his boat at the best of times, let alone in the current circumstances when - as you said - many people are at risk of losing their livelihoods, and some are actually dying?

(2) what a stupid name for a boat.

I hope his vaunted dehumidifier shorts out, causes a fire and burns down the entire ‘cocoon’ and its contents. And that he forgot to keep his insurance premium payments up to date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Shame on you Mr Editor, for not discussing the full content of the communication, and disrespecting the employees and volunteers of the Squadron by your distorted innuendo.

You’re obviously new here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our club like all others in the UK is shut down.  Saying that a few minutes ago I received the white book,  that's the club annual hand book with racing programme,  social programme,  trophies,  club rules,  and the permanent changes to the racing rules we have. 

Accompanying that, a letter thanking us  for renewing membership, and apologising that all events are suspended until the government says otherwise. 

Our book is the white book,  the regional, Norfolk and Suffolk boating association  book  is the Green Book,  which is also online.. http://www.thegreenbook.org.uk/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bilbo said:

As a member of RMYS I am aggrieved that you jumped to a conclusion of profiteering.

The Squadron as per many other Sports organisations and clubs is trying to steer a way through this escalating chaos.

Unfortunately as per the above associations fixed costs still need to be met, so for a club to refund memberships would be irresponsible and harmful to the membership as a whole.

You will note that in the letter from the Commodore provision of assistance to members in financial distress, this is a lot better than other organizations like Australian Football clubs are offering (no refund for a season not played full stop) .

In these stressful times people are prone to jump to negative conclusions without fact checking. Shame on you Mr Editor, for not discussing the full content of the communication, and disrespecting the employees and volunteers of the Squadron by your distorted innuendo.   

Bilbo

Wow - you really are new to SA :lol: :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

Not new , but you would think I would learn :P.

Real point is,

in these tough times which seem to bring out the worst of people due to fear concern and frustration, we probably need to cool our engines, recognize we are all in this together      

No amount of shouting or finger pointing is going to change  anything , but perhaps a  little generosity and kindness of spirit might help us get by a little better.

There will be plenty of time for call outs, once these events  have past.

I know this is counter cultural to the site , but we living in strange times :)

  As they say in Hill Street Blues  "Take are out there".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 and ....do it to them before they do it to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My club is still open to members to get to their moored yachts - even a tender service running (with distancing rules). Luckily mine isn't a social club with permanent bar staff - bar only open when we are racing. Slipway is still open for members to work on their yachts on weekends and with staff during the week. I don't see any reason why club membership charges should be discounted - you pay a yearly fee how ever much you use the clubhouse. If you use the bar you pay more (no accounts) and if you race you pay separately.

Got out to my boat yesterday and there were other members down there - all keeping our distances - lots of old members!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local Roundup:

AYC: CovID-19 Update
The Annapolis Yacht Club’s Administrative Offices, Main Clubhouse, Activity Center and Fitness Center are currently closed due to the COVID-19, in compliance with the governor's orders. This closure is indefinite and we will be constantly updating as the situation changes. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon.

EYC: As of Monday, March 16, 2020, the bar and restaurant are temporarily closed, by order of the Governor. As soon as the COVID-19 crisis has passed, we'll be open again and ready to welcome our members!
Meantime, check out our "Grab & Go" takeout service, available seven days a week, including lunch Friday through Sunday. Menus will change weekly, with "daily specials" (i.e., Thursday Meatloaf Night) NEW: Order a bottle of wine, some beer, or something else to go with your meal! Check the Carry-Out Beer & Wine Menu for what's available.

SSA: SSA is now closed until further notice.  Members will have access to their boats but the building will be locked with no access to the bathrooms.  SSA staff will telework.  Botanas Fajardo will also be closed for what we very much hope is only a short

RHYC: Unknown

CRYC: In keeping with the Federal and State guidelines for COVID-19 protection the Corsica River Yacht Club is closed until further notice ! New gate combination in effect as of April 4. Heads will remain closed. If you must visit the grounds (i.e. to check on your boat), provide your own wipes and hand sanitizer gel

MRYC: This means that all food and beverage services at the Miles River Yacht Club, including events, are cancelled at this time until further notice. The club will be closed, including the doors being locked, until further notice. You will be able to call in to the office Monday through Friday from 10AM-3PM. Please do not come into the club, we are closed. We will keep you updated on any changes and/or reopening of the club.

TAYC: Due to COVID-19 -- TAYC is closed until further notice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our club has closed the bar and per further state guidelines, we can't have more than 25 people present in the clubhouse (not a problem this time of year anyway). The boatyard is open and the bathrooms are open. We have moved board meetings to email only and we're only proposing and voting on motions and not reporting from committees. All events are cancelled

We are a small DIY club run entirely by the membership. Each member owns an equal share of the club. We have decided to continue paying our loyal staff throughout this. It's only about 5 people, but it's still money out when not much is coming in. Obviously we have budget concerns, but we're taking this month by month.

I'm fortunate enough to live within walking distance, so I have gotten a really good jump on boat work and hope to launch at the end of April or first week in May at the latest. Can't think of a better way to socially distance than cruising around the empty Boston Harbor Islands with the fam. Hopefully in a few months cruising to Maine and points south will be viable, but we just feel lucky to have this opportunity when some are cooped up in an apartment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucky for me theres no one really around my club this time of year anyway so I've been able to still take my laser out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bilbo said:

As they say in Hill Street Blues  "Take are out there".

Well you fucked that quote up ‘royally’. Or are you quoting the Squadron catch cry when some foolish member shows up in the bar with some down market scrubber who is not from the northern beaches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bilbo said:

.

Not new , but you would think I would learn :P.

Real point is,

in these tough times which seem to bring out the worst of people due to fear concern and frustration, we probably need to cool our engines, recognize we are all in this together      

No amount of shouting or finger pointing is going to change  anything , but perhaps a  little generosity and kindness of spirit might help us get by a little better.

There will be plenty of time for call outs, once these events  have past.

I know this is counter cultural to the site , but we living in strange times :)

  As they say in Hill Street Blues  "Take are out there".

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus’ line was “let’s be careful out there.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MYC has expelled almost all of its sailors and built a gun range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The family meal deals at a YC to which I belong:

image.thumb.png.c8359768909d161575938b41214f28b9.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, the C got stuck,

thanks for the correct quote, however the sentiment remains the same even if Royally fucked up.

I am off to lean my key board now.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 6:09 PM, marcus brutus said:

Most local clubs have cancelled monthly yacht club meetings and numerous other activities but have not yet mitigated membership dues to reflect the reduced value of service.

Following is copy of a letter that I sent to Board of Directors:

Good morning, Xxxxx

Given the fact that Corona Virus Pandemic has been declared a National Emergency, and that XXXX member activities are likely to be severely curtailed, the Board of Directors should consider mitigating payment of 2020 membership dues. 
 
If not, consider the fact that many members will chose not to renew because the benefits received are no longer commensurate to the cost of membership.
 
Attached is XXXX Form 990 which confirms that the XXXX financial reserves would make my proposal not only feasible but also the right thing for the Board of Directors to do immediately.
 
With kindest regards,
Xxxxxx
 

 

I just got this today, on April Fool Day; apparently the majority of board members who received my email above have been unable to dislodge their head from inside their asshole.

Hi Xxxxxxxxxxx,

 Attached is your account balance as of March 31, 2020, which is $0.00 .  Everyone has until April 30, 2020 to pay to avoid late charges.  

 For those dealing with a financial hardship, we have created a link that allows you to set up a payment plan that suits you, payable throughout the season available to all memberships levels. This ensures a commitment from both sides and allows the Board to keep working towards the upcoming season, while allowing flexibility and the ability to maintain membership. 

Stay healthy and get ready for the Xxxxxxxxxxx and the Xxxxxx Scene Party!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 1:56 PM, Svanen said:

I hope his vaunted dehumidifier shorts out, causes a fire and burns down the entire ‘cocoon’ and its contents. And that he forgot to keep his insurance premium payments up to date.

Noooo!  I love that boat - Previously Ichi Ban, before that Shogun 5, and originally Azzura.  It has always been an outstanding boat.

Now, the owner?  Never met him, but it seems there are 2 camps - one who wouldn't cross the street to piss on him if he was on fire, and the other who would cross the street to piss on him, even if he wasn't on fire.  You may wish something unpleasant upon him ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our club is virtually shut down but still access to the docks and our boats. Full spring here but pretty quite on an Easter weekend. All racing has stopped and the annual Southern Straits Classic was canceled. No VARC races or Hump day racing of course. We have 4 outstations and all are closed. Marine parks are closed and marina to marina is very iffy too. I hope this gets away or racing and cruising for the season is in jeopardy. We have 650 or so members and very solvent club so no issue there. But I almost live at my club. At least my bar tab won't take a beating!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went by my club to ponder the legal to use canoe next to the illegal to use Laser :rolleyes:

I am wondering if any jr. programs at all will still happen this year, now is the usual time to start lining up employees and kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The club I belong to, Noroton Yacht Club , has done a wonderful job thus far.

During winter , we operate on limited hours anyway with the club open on a couple of afternoons for winter RC laser racing etc.  But the Flags showed real leadership by closing the club early in the crisis ahead of the stay-at-home order.  As a result , there have been no cases of infection from club gatherings. A week later we now realize we are merely miles from the epicenter in New York. 

The commodore conveyed the message in such a way that demonstrated that caring about the health and safety of members and their families was important above all else.   He has done a brilliant job in communicating to all the club volunteers and committees making us all truly feel part of the club community. He has hosted Zoom conference calls. He has assembled a thoughtful and knowledgeable CV19 task force which is carefully working on plans for how the club should be reopened and at what stages, and which use cases can be safely justified. There is unlikely to be racing for some time in certain classes because social distancing is hard but Im super impressed by their thought processes.

The club permanent employees have been kept on and are also working on keeping the club ready.  Our caterer is running a take out service on weekends.  The club members totally support these expenses. The social committee is organizing online activities so that we all continue to feel part of the club.

I have only been a member of NYC for 3 or 4 years and I have belonged to several clubs over the years (and still do...shout out to LCSC!) but I have gradually come to realize that it really is a community of sailors and their families. I can honestly say that joining NYC has been one of the best things my family has done. 

To quote one of the members on a recent Zoom call. The ocean is still there, our club is not going anywhere, we will be sailing again....we just dont know when.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 11:50 AM, LB 15 said:

Experts have said that some people with the virus are experiencing some slight loss of hearing but being tone deaf is a symptom of an entirely different issue.

F6FAF46A-607E-4F86-977E-D18DBC64E95C.jpeg

It makes perfect sense for a man who thinks starboard gives way to port

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this