Bristol-Cruiser

Not a 'Dump on Trump' thread

There has been a lot of discussion about how well, or not, various governments have responded to the Coronavirus thread. Since  we have people here from many countries, I thought it would be interesting to see how people think their government is doing. How about you rate on an A, B, C, D, F scale, with + and - if you are into such things:

• your prime minister, president, etc and any cabinet officials who regularly appear publicly
  • your taste governor, provincial premier and again any cabinet officials at this level
  • the public health officials who appear in public

As I said in the thread title this is not meant as an opportunity to complain about Trump but if you are an American you certainly can give ratings and comments if you wish.

Since it is my thread I will go first.

Canada

Federal - A-  They could have been more prepared and acted stronger sooner but I don't think any government except perhaps Taiwan did this part well. Since the seriousness of the situation has become apparent they have done an excellent job. They have developed an interesting approach that was sort of forced on them when Trudeau's wife became positive. He gives his remarks outside his residence each day - he is past the 14 day period but continues with the isolation. Later in the day a panel, very well-separated, sitting down say whatever they have to say. This panel is generally led by the Deputy PM and has an assortment of cabinet members and officials (public health always and occasionally  chief of the defence staff). Interestingly, the three people there almost every day - the Deputy PM, health minister, and chief public health officer of Canada - are all women and are being seen as doing well. Could make it easier for women leaders in the future.

Ontario - B+  I referred to Doug Ford, the premier (and Rob Ford's older brother) as a Trump mini-me a few weeks ago but he has really risen to the occasion recently and is providing strong leadership. Testing in Ontario is not as thorough as in other provinces though. Ford's supporting cast do not seem as strong as Trudeau's though. They do not come across as a competent and in-control.

Public health officials - A They are doing a terrific job and give confidence that this situation is being handled as well as it could be. The federal lady, Dr Tam, is particularly impressive.

The fact that the states are left to make decisions on how to deal with SARS-CoV-2 will be our Achilles heel.  Every governor responds as he or she sees fit and for some it's hard to say they aren't making decisions for political reasons.

In Florida, I give Desantis a D.  In most instances, he has passed the baton to the counties because, and I paraphrase here, the conditions that exist in each county vary.  One fact that doesn't vary is close human contact is like steroids to the virus.  And Desantis's order of not more than 10 in a boat flies in the face of CDC recommendations. 

Some counties seem to want to pass the baton down ever further.  It's like no one wants to make a bad decision so they allow status quo to remain but do it with a caution so they can later say it's not their fault.

We've seen the effect of ignoring this virus.  I think we are at that point it can reasonably be said any leader who continues to do so is putting his or her constituents in serious jeopardy and should be considered complicit in furthering the spread.

I won't speak as to the US Commander-in-Chief, as everyone has their own opinion, and what I say won't do anything except invite vitriol.  That said:

Federal Early Response: C  We knew about it, and were starting to prepare for it, but the CDC deciding to concoct its own test and then bungling it was a huge mistake.  That alone is probably half the reason we're playing catch-up here.  Fortunately, we have tons of organizations who could create their own tests, from private labs to teaching hospitals to state agencies, and the net of it is we have caught up quickly.

State Government: A- only a "minus" due to a slightly (but not tragically) late start.  Over the past three weeks the coordinated response in Massachusetts has been excellent, and Governor Baker has been a strong advocate for more PPE and ventilators, while being realistic about keeping everyone home through all of April at least.  Mayor Walsh has been solid as well.  Fingers crossed the curve bends here.

Federal ResponseF  Because of the lack of initial preparedness and the ongoing misinformation and hesitancy that has made things substantially worse. Basically everything they could F up, they did. I include in this the bailout bill that all but ignores what is going to happen to millions of Americans in the upcoming depression. 

California State ResponseB- Newsom was quick to act on the SiP order but enforcement has been somewhat lax. Maybe that's unfair as I'm in a red county with lots of older folks who are still convinced it's all overblown. 

Public Health OfficialsC For basically being MIA. Our county just reported it's first case yesterday but that's likely because we're doing practically no testing. It's kind of a head-in-the-sand, this is a problem elsewhere attitude, not unlike the initial federal response.  

37 minutes ago, jewingiv said:

I won't speak as to the US Commander-in-Chief, as everyone has their own opinion, and what I say won't do anything except invite vitriol.  That said:

Federal Early Response: C  We knew about it, and were starting to prepare for it, but the CDC deciding to concoct its own test and then bungling it was a huge mistake.  That alone is probably half the reason we're playing catch-up here.  Fortunately, we have tons of organizations who could create their own tests, from private labs to teaching hospitals to state agencies, and the net of it is we have caught up quickly.

State Government: A- only a "minus" due to a slightly (but not tragically) late start.  Over the past three weeks the coordinated response in Massachusetts has been excellent, and Governor Baker has been a strong advocate for more PPE and ventilators, while being realistic about keeping everyone home through all of April at least.  Mayor Walsh has been solid as well.  Fingers crossed the curve bends here.

FWIW the CDC 4 prong assay continues to be the testing method - the diff is they’re aware of how important to QC the reagents. It is comparatively slow throughput, but yields low false results. 

The uptick in national testing capability has more to do with 1) phasing out esophagus for only nasal samples (8 vials become 4) and 2) live PCR machines in labs all over the country being certified and brought online to do clinical testing. 

Anyone who knows me is aware of how I would rate the Fed.

A local county - called for a lock down county wide

D - State of Texas - our governator is stating that the county can't do a shut down. Meanwhile has DPS at the Louisiana border and airports to require travelers to self quarantine . Also trying to block city/county from releasing non violent inmates.  It's follow the money in these parts.

F - Any and all involved with testing - there are a few public testing sites in the metro area each capable of doing a couple hundred per day - requires being authorized by some medical clearance - can't just show up. Population of the greater Houston area is about 7 million. Data on how many tests being done daily? Best of luck finding that out. OK, one knock on Trump - the plaque on his desk should read "The Testing Stops Here".

I am glad I am in Washington State, which took the lead in doing a real quarantine.  We are not out of the weeds yet, but the spread has greatly slowed down and our hospitals are not overwhelmed.  I have been home for 3 weeks now and a very high percentage seem to be staying at home.  All these idiotic government officials in other states who aren't doing enough are going to regret it.  As we have seen across the world it does not take that many infections to completely overload hospitals.  

• Like 2

Federal - F  minus minus minus. What DIDN'T they fuck up?

State - B+. Our Gov. is pretty good.

Everything related to testing - Can I give a Z minus here? Testing is basically non-existent unless you are very ill, at which point you obviously have SOMETHING no one wants to catch :rolleyes: I have sick extended family members who are not sick enough to qualify for a test. They have no idea if they have or had it. No contact tracing going on. :angry:

Federal and Trump - F - for all the obvious reasons, complete asinine incompetence mostly aimed at praising Trump at every turn. I cringe for Fauci, doing his best to steer things in a reasonable direction.

Illinois State - A - a little slow reacting, hence massive spread in Chicago now, but Pritzker is rising to the occasion

Local country and city - B - not nearly enough information coming from our local public health office, nothing more than case numbers and ages.

For my home country of South Africa, an A for president Ramaphosa who is rising to the occasion, although some of the enforcement of their much more severe lockdown than the US has been draconian.

• Like 1

State of Washington:  B+ I guess.  Fast early reaction to slow the spread.  Doing the best with limited resources to spread from Seattle hot spot to dispersed rural communities and regional cities.  

City of Seattle:  Also fast reaction, but being first in line, no real playbook to go by.  B+ with dealing with the really intractable problem of homelessness the trouble spot.  

Feds:  Locally, fine.  Military, fine.  CDC, pretty shaky as policy decision obviously made by appointed denialist idiots, but the worker bees know what they are doing. 

White House?  The city, state, nation and world would be far, far better off if they simply were all just binge drinking and playing poker with no communication with the outside world.  

• Like 2

Canada - B+. Good consistent public messaging, acted early, seems like reasonable coordination with provincial governments. Daily public ads at the news hour with a simple message. Go home, wash your hands, cover a cough or sneeze. Help others.

They got marks off for being a bit late with turning on the government taps to support workers and businesses, AND for a quick try at passing a law that would give unlimited power of spending for a few years without Parliament's approval

British Columbia - A. Again, very good consistent public messaging. The people you hear every day are the minister of health and the chief doctor (forget her proper title). The Premier is speaking less often and letting the medical experts carry the day. Acted early to get people to go home and close businesses.

• Like 1

My government, the United StatesF

From what I can see from abroad, talking to family on the ground, reading the news and watching the media briefings, watching the infection statistics, etc. the Federal government response has been a bit of a shitshow. Ignoring warnings, ignoring data, spreading misinformation, opportunism, etc. etc. All while the virus spreads, the US lags in testing per capita and grabs the lead in cases globally. We lag in the ability to deliver critical car, PPE, testing, etc. We're just now finally starting to mobilize in a way that could save lives, which we should have been doing when certain elements of our government were downplaying the risks. That we have a complete garbage system of private insurance healthcare is being highlighted, as are the severe cracks in our social structure and safety nets. It's hard to control a pandemic when most of the population can't take time off work, can't afford testing, can't afford to visit the doctor, and is terrified they'll be bankrupted by a hospital stay.

I don't have a "home state", really. I'm legally a Floridian, but I don't view it as home. Florida should have closed it's beaches and shut things down a long time ago, but the governor is an idiot.

Where I am right now, New Zealand: A

The response and messaging here has been consistent and first rate. They've taken it seriously, and responded with honesty, accuracy, compassion, and sense. Yes, it's all shut down. As it should be. There are a few glitches and gotchas, e.g. some inconsistent communication between maritime authorities and the regional council over the rules for opening swing bridges to pass boats, etc.  But they are figuring it out, and my host country has been welcoming and accommodating.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

My government, the United StatesF

From what I can see from abroad, talking to family on the ground, reading the news and watching the media briefings, watching the infection statistics, etc. the Federal government response has been a bit of a shitshow. Ignoring warnings, ignoring data, spreading misinformation, opportunism, etc. etc. All while the virus spreads, the US lags in testing per capita and grabs the lead in cases globally. We lag in the ability to deliver critical car, PPE, testing, etc. We're just now finally starting to mobilize in a way that could save lives, which we should have been doing when certain elements of our government were downplaying the risks. That we have a complete garbage system of private insurance healthcare is being highlighted, as are the severe cracks in our social structure and safety nets. It's hard to control a pandemic when most of the population can't take time off work, can't afford testing, can't afford to visit the doctor, and is terrified they'll be bankrupted by a hospital stay.

I don't have a "home state", really. I'm legally a Floridian, but I don't view it as home. Florida should have closed it's beaches and shut things down a long time ago, but the governor is an idiot.

Where I am right now, New Zealand: A

The response and messaging here has been consistent and first rate. They've taken it seriously, and responded with honesty, accuracy, compassion, and sense. Yes, it's all shut down. As it should be. There are a few glitches and gotchas, e.g. some inconsistent communication between maritime authorities and the regional council over the rules for opening swing bridges to pass boats, etc.  But they are figuring it out, and my host country has been welcoming and accommodating.

Sounds like you are in my home town , thanks for the kind words mate ! ....and I’ve been wondering about the bridge . Did you stay in the basin or move out ? 

1 hour ago, 44forty said:

Sounds like you are in my home town , thanks for the kind words mate ! ....and I’ve been wondering about the bridge . Did you stay in the basin or move out ? 

We're on the Basin, on the Riverside drive side. Don't stop by and say hi though! At least not now...

If you want to hear the dulcet sound of my voice, listen to the Cruiser's net on channel 08 at 0805 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Other folks are doing M-W-F.

The bridge is, as per the notification we put out that was received from the government:

·         A call-out system will now apply with a 30 minute response time.

·         Skippers are encouraged to book well in advance – please note you will be asked the purpose of your trip

·         The Bridge Control number(021 401 752) will still be available and skippers are advised to make contact when planning their voyage.

·         In the event of a mechanical or other breakdown bridge operations may cease temporarily as with the current restrictions works will have to be prioritized, and it may be that other work items take priority.

·         Outages may happen with short or no notice. This is why it is important to call Bridge Control for updates.

·         The Scheduled lifts will continue as normal at 11.30am ( Kotuitui Whitinga) and 12 noon ( Te Matau a Pohe). The reason for this is that particularly Kotuitui Whitinga needs to be operated regularly to ensure the mechanical items remain free to move.