kent_island_sailor

Maryland Lockdown Day 1

So far so good. The rules seem weird, like I just heard we can go to the beach to fish or exercise, but not for other reasons. Its about a 10 minute walk to the beach from my house, so I guess I'll see when I walk the dog. What it seems like is we can walk on it, but just hanging out there sitting still is a no-go. The not traveling thing would seem to ban DRIVING to a beach.

Come to Florida if you find yourself needing a packed beach.  We're waiting until people are dropping like flies before we do anything as drastic as telling people to stay home.  But bring your own toilet paper.

Here in Myrtle Beach, the governor closed the public  beach access points, effectively making the beach private, sort of a Chris Christie moment

but, when people are too stupid to not aggregate, public health requires direct actions

10 minutes ago, Jules said:

Come to Florida if you find yourself needing a packed beach.  We're waiting until people are dropping like flies before we do anything as drastic as telling people to stay home.  But bring your own toilet paper.

I do not feel the need for a packed beach :o

• Like 1

Hang in there, stay safe, unfortunately its a little late.

• Like 1

not social distancing is like going to the beach after a tsunami warning!!

3 minutes ago, Liquid said:

not social distancing is like going to the beach, and hanging around in a crowd,  after a tsunami warning!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jules said:

The beaches and all parks, including a 15 mile linear bicycle trail in Duval County (Jacksonville) have been closed for a while.  St Johns County beaches (St. Augustine) closed  this last Monday.  Figures, there were pretty good waves.  Not sure I understand total closure of beaches and parks but I guess it is easier to enforce total closure than it is being responsible.

1 hour ago, LionessRacing said:

Here in Myrtle Beach, the governor closed the public  beach access points, effectively making the beach private, sort of a Chris Christie moment

but, when people are too stupid to not aggregate, public health requires direct actions

A certain percentage of people are always too stupid to do the right thing.  in nature, they are eaten.  in america, they are elected.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Liquid said:

not social distancing is like going to the beach after a tsunami warning!!

With the slight difference that walking on the beach during a tsunami will kill you...the people going to the beach during a pandemic are probably in the lower risk groups they end up killing loved ones, neighbours and random people they meet who are in higher risk groups.

21 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

A certain percentage of people are always too stupid to do the right thing.  in nature, they are eaten.  in america, they are elected.

Social Darwinism has a whole new meaning, when you can convince people that TANSTAAFL doesn't apply to them.

2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

No sailing as of today unless I am sailing to catch crabs or fish :rolleyes:

Weird that ? Down here it’s generally the fishers that need help the most .

they don’t have dual 120 amp alternators on their engines , no solar panels or dual battery banks , no sails and leave all the accessories on with the motor off when fishing . Then need a tow home from the coasties 

It's more of a Commercial fishing is allowed as it's in the food supply, and recreational not so much

And in the Chesapeake, some of the fisheries are non motorized to keep the catch down. 

add in that after the Civil War, Virginia lost the estuarine rights to Maryland... and you have all of the federal installations near the capitol, and various regional testing labs... 

Kent, is recreational fishing/crabbing OK? How about from a powerboat?  Is it spelled out what is permitted and what's not?  I heard that kayaking is still OK in Maryland waters. True?

34 minutes ago, Nettles said:

Kent, is recreational fishing/crabbing OK? How about from a powerboat?  Is it spelled out what is permitted and what's not?  I heard that kayaking is still OK in Maryland waters. True?

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/03/31/frequently-asked-questions-about-governor-hogans-stay-at-home-order/

Frequently Asked Questions about Governor Hogan’s Stay at Home Order

March 31, 2020

Governor Hogan has issued a Stay at Home Order in response to the global COVID-19 public health crisis. While there are certain exceptions for essential functions, the primary intent of the order is for people to stay at home in order to limit the spread of the virus. 

With that in mind, here is some additional guidance in response to questions the department has received. This is current guidance and subject to change throughout the duration of the public health emergency. 

Can I go hunting?

Limited hunting is allowed if you are seeking food for you or your family, but the social distancing guidelines and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed.

Can I go fishing?

Limited fishing is allowed if you are seeking food for you or your family, but the social distancing guidelines and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed.

Can I go boating?

Recreational boating is prohibited until the governor lifts the executive order or until the State of Emergency has ended. However, if an individual is boating to seek food for them or their family, boating is permitted. Boats used to transport essential employees or goods as defined in the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency’s Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce are also permitted. 

Does kayaking or paddle boarding count as recreational boating?

Since kayaking and paddle boarding are a form of exercise, they are permitted under the executive order. Guidance on social distancing and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed.  

I live on my sailboat – can I still be in my boat slip or moored out?

If your boat serves as your residence, you can remain on the vessel.

Can I go to a state park?

Hiking, biking, and walking are allowed under the executive order but social distancing guidelines and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed. Most state parks are open but some have been closed or have restricted areas. Please choose a park nearest your home to limit travel and be sure to check our website before you leave for the park and read our guidelines for social distancing in state parks. Natural Resources Police and Maryland Park Service staff are authorized to enforce the governor’s executive order and will close areas and disperse crowds as necessary.

Can you fish in a state park?

Limited fishing is allowed if you are seeking food for you or your family, but the social distancing guidelines and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed.

Can you fish/crab from a boat if it is for sustenance? 

Limited recreational fishing and crabbing is allowed if you are seeking food for you or your family, but social distancing guidelines and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed. 

Can charter boats work next month since they technically fall under the recreational quota from a fisheries standpoint? 

As part of the food supply chain, charter boats can continue operating but must abide by social distancing guidelines and the prohibition on gatherings of more than 10 people. Charter boats and head boats should NOT have more than 10 individuals on the vessel at any time.

Wildlife offices are closed, so hunters cannot get a permit to hunt on managed lands. Are managed lands closed to hunting? 

Limited hunting is allowed if you are seeking food for you or your family, but the social distancing guidelines and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed. Hiking, biking and walking are also allowed. Please check the department’s website for the most recent information on closures before visiting DNR’s managed lands.

>>>>>>>>>

OK, this is utterly retarded and I usually like the gov.

First off, the "fishing, crabbing, and hunting allowed if seeking food for my family" is a loophole large enough to pilot a supertanker through. OF COURSE I am going to eat the fish/crab/deer, what did you THINK I was going to do with it :rolleyes:

Kayaks and paddle-boards are OK because "exercise" but a Laser isn't? WTF? Right now I only have a fishing permit for my Whaler, so I can use that all I want as long as put a rod in it someplace, but I guess I need to spend the $$$ for a permit for the sailboat now and damn straight I am eating those crabs!

Stare Parks are still open? A triple WTF for that. I don't even begin to get that reasoning.

Here is the crown jewel of stupidity - head boats (commercial charter fishing boats) are still OK as long as not more than 10 people go out at once and they maintain "social distance"? I can't sail my boat by myself, but I can go out with 9 strangers on a boat about 40-60 feet long and try to stay upwind of them while catching fish? Really? I wouldn't climb on a boat with strangers even at gunpoint right now.

• Like 1

Kent: it's a asledgehammer. The gov and the gubmint are overwhelmed. Parts if it are dumb as rocks and what does "limited" mean anyway?  Since I live in CT and we don't have completely screwed up orders, I can stand here and just say, "just wait it out for a month." Sucks for you. Who knows--we could be in for worse. But it won't be like that for long.

I took my dinghy out for a row today. Had to do that before April. Otherwise I feel like a slacker. I trolled a gulp shad in solidarity with you Marylanders.

On 3/31/2020 at 3:16 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

No sailing as of today unless I am sailing to catch crabs or fish :rolleyes:

I'm going to drop crab pots off from my sailboat, troll a line, anchor to do some jigging, then practice my singlehanding MOB skills to pick up the crab pots under sail.  Repeat. 

I went fishing on a phantom once--two of us on the ocean. You an imagine how that turned out. (The U.S. sunfish clone--not the British boat).

So. Here in Maryland you can pack ten people on a fishing boat but you can't single hand your sail boat.

5 minutes ago, bawlmer said:

So. Here in Maryland you can pack ten people on a fishing boat but you can't single hand your sail boat.

Unless you are fishing I guess :wacko: