Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Florida Goes On Lockdown

Florida governor issues statewide stay-at-home order

By: By BRENDAN FARRINGTON and TERRY SPENCER
Updated: April 1, 2020 - 1:33 PM

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a statewide stay-at-home order Wednesday as federal and local pressure mounted for him to abandon the county-by-county approach he had implemented.

DeSantis told reporters that he is issuing the order after consulting with President Donald Trump and White House advisers, who have said that Americans need to stay home throughout April.

DeSantis' move came hours after the U.S. surgeon general, Dr. Jerome Adams, said on NBC's “Today” show that he would tell DeSantis that the federal guidelines for social distancing should be viewed as “a national stay-at-home order.”

Florida coronavirus updates: DeSantis orders entire state to stay home beginning at midnight

South Florida Sun Sentinel |
Apr 01, 2020 | 1:52 PM

Florida is finally ordering all residents to stay home to help prevent the spread of the new coronavirus, Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Wednesday.

“It makes sense to make this move now,” he said, of the order taking effect at midnight and in place for the next 30 days.

For weeks, Democratic lawmakers, newspaper editorials and others have criticized the lack of a statewide order as especially risky.

The move by DeSantis, a Republican ally of President Donald Trump, comes hours after U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams said in a TV interview that national guidelines essentially mean there is a “stay-at-home order” for everyone in the country.

Florida had been one of only 17 states without a statewide directive for people to shelter in place unless they need to head out for groceries, health care or an essential job. Most areas of South Florida were under local orders.

But until Wednesday, DeSantis has resisted the call for a stay-at-home order, despite concerns raised about the virus spreading among the state’s vulnerable elderly population. He has pointed to state orders that have shut down restaurants and other businesses.

Gov. Ron DeSantis issuing stay at home order for Florida

Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday he is issuing an order directing Floridians to stay at home for 30 days.

He said the order, which goes into effect at midnight, would tell people to stay at home and leave only for “essential services," such as buying groceries, obtaining health care, and getting gas or using the bank.

It wasn’t immediately clear how broad the order would be or how it would be enforced.

“It’s really an order to individuals saying you need to, you can engage in essential services, essential activities, but other than that you need to stick close to home. We’re not necessarily saying anything to non-essential businesses. But under the order you would not be able to go into some of these things and conduct business and be able to follow the order.”

DeSantis didn’t directly answer a question about whether a violation would carry criminal penalties. He said people should understand that staying home protects themselves and their families. “The government cannot ham fist everyone into their bedroom. It’s just not practical.”

DeSantis said some non-essential businesses might still be able to operate in some ways. “There’s a whole bunch of opportunities where some of these non-essential businesses will still be able to do some things,” he said, adding that a business that makes things might be able to delivery orders.

If they had done this on March 13 like when the Midwest started - thousands of Floridians would be alive in the weeks to come. 

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

If they had done this on March 13 like when the Midwest started - thousands of Floridians would be alive in the weeks to come. 

sadly true

The public health professionals have been screaming at the top of their lungs and people who should make decisions have did nothing. And when people die. They’ll turn around and blame the public health professionals and China. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

The public health professionals have been screaming at the top of their lungs and people who should make decisions have did nothing. And when people die. They’ll turn around and blame the public health professionals and China. 

also true

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

z-has-bolted.png&f=1&nofb=1

Actually not quite that bad, 10 horses ran off but 50 more are still inside.

10 horses with a 2x to 3x per horse infection spread rate.  Do the math on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

Saw something on the local news where a Tallahassee reporter said DeSantis has been holding off because he didn't want to fall out of the good graces with the president.  It seemed this move was not Trump approved. 

My guess is he did some math:

Only around 60K in Florida have been tested, a fraction of a percent
+
Tests are taking up to 14 days for results
+
Florida has a lot of old people
=
Some really grim numbers on the horizon

Ronnie may have put human compassion ahead of servitude to our Great Leader.

This is Floriduh folks... the slow kid in the classroom. Good luck with that.

b893d96eb190286ec2880d5ee3ad1a2b.jpg

Fucking idiot de Santis order allows for religious services!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suppose it will help get rid of more idiots, but they will infect other innocents before dying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Fucking idiot de Santis order allows for religious services!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suppose it will help get rid of more idiots, but they will infect other innocents before dying.

When we were moving down here a few years ago, on the drive down we started seeing white billboards preaching fire and brimstone.  Had we not already sold our house up north and paid for a condo here, we probably would have turned around and found a different state.

I used to drive down to visit my dad from the mid 80s to mid 90s and I never remember seeing so many fearmongering god/jesus billboards.  But I guess when your government works their asses off to take care of the rich and fuck the poor, all the poor have left is hope.

• Like 1

Florida is going to be a mess.

It will take 2 weeks for the lock down to have any measurable effect. They left it until that state has  already passed the 1,000 cases per day . By all comparisons with NY and Europe , they have left it too late and will be at 4,000 a day in 7 days. What were they thinking?

2 hours ago, view at the front said:

He finally got it. . . It is Flori-DUH.

We have our own idiot here! First documented case in the Nation, 9th state to implement lockdown, weeks later. 

Fortunately our state is rural enough that King County is the only real problem area. 

We are, hopefully, close to our peak and by mid-april have a better understanding of just how bad it will be.

Stay safe, stay home

WL

7 hours ago, IPLore said:

What were they thinking?

That Trump might get mad and have a twit fit.

14 hours ago, Jules said:

When we were moving down here a few years ago, on the drive down we started seeing white billboards preaching fire and brimstone.  Had we not already sold our house up north and paid for a condo here, we probably would have turned around and found a different state.

I used to drive down to visit my dad from the mid 80s to mid 90s and I never remember seeing so many fearmongering god/jesus billboards.  But I guess when your government works their asses off to take care of the rich and fuck the poor, all the poor have left is hope.

When I used to drive across the border between Pa. and O., the really tall crosses in O. were memorable.

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

When I used to drive across the border between Pa. and O., the really tall crosses in O. were memorable.

They are not as much in your face as those white billboards telling you that you are going to hell if you don't call their 800 number.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jules said:

They are not as much in your face as those white billboards telling you that you are going to hell if you don't call their 800 number.

Ohio has understated elegance. No mountains, but you have hills. And you learn to appreciate their subtlety. For instance noticing that the maples are more numerous on the south slopes and the hickory on the north slopes. When I say slopes do not think of Telluride.

6 hours ago, Jules said:

That Trump might get mad and have a twit fit.

So, can Drumpf still go to Mar-a-lago?

• Like 1

Who is dumber, de Santis or Georgia's Gov. Brian Kemp ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/02/georgia-gov-brian-kemp-who-resisted-strict-coronavirus-measures-says-he-just-learned-it-transmitted-asymptomatically/

"After resisting a statewide stay-at-home order for days, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) succumbed to the pressure and issued one on Wednesday. Part of the reason, he said, was that he had just learned some new information.

Kemp said he was “finding out that this virus is now transmitting before people see signs.”

“Those individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours,” he said. He added that the state’s top doctor told him that “this is a game-changer.”

27 minutes ago, Zonker said:

tRump.  But the other two are definitely fighting for the podium.

"Health care is hard!  Who knew?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zonker said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/02/georgia-gov-brian-kemp-who-resisted-strict-coronavirus-measures-says-he-just-learned-it-transmitted-asymptomatically/

"After resisting a statewide stay-at-home order for days, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) succumbed to the pressure and issued one on Wednesday. Part of the reason, he said, was that he had just learned some new information.

Kemp said he was “finding out that this virus is now transmitting before people see signs.”

“Those individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours,” he said. He added that the state’s top doctor told him that “this is a game-changer.”

Apparently he doesn't read the New York Times. Who knew?

On 4/2/2020 at 4:32 PM, Zonker said:

I think it's more a question of who is more afraid of getting in Trump's bad graces.

Hours after he issued the stay-at-home recommendation, DeSantis slid another directive in there while no one was looking.  In effect, there is practically no such thing as a business or job that isn't essential.  He even threw in a counter measure that prevented any counties or municipalities from enacting any rules that were stricter than the state's. 

Who know.  Maybe the red states are trying to kill off their citizens to lessen the load on public services.

28 minutes ago, Jules said:

Maybe the red states are trying to kill off their citizens to lessen the load on public services.

if this thing didn't skew so old, I'd think you were 100% right

how much older is the avg GOP voter compared to the average dem?

17 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

if this thing didn't skew so old, I'd think you were 100% right

how much older is the avg GOP voter compared to the average dem?

It also skewes heavily towards densely populated areas. I wouldn't be making political demographics calculations on this. 

The lockdown is bull shit everything is still open except for the restaurants and schools 

2 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

The lockdown is bull shit everything is still open except for the restaurants and schools 

Ft. Lauderdale has reduced capacity allowed in big box stores and police at door maintaining "1 out, 1 in" policy.

yup it has sure hit the Republican stronghold of NYC hard hasn't it?

"Apparently he doesn't read the New York Times. Who knew?" - apparently not many given the number "Save a journalist's job" and similar 'begging for bucks' opp's for subscription  emails I get nearly every day.

This is what happens when you all go home and fucking stay there. Yes, total cases are climbing but look at the "active cases". BC Health officer is cautiously optimistic.

We are not hearing about massive number of body bags required or hospitals being overloaded. BC acted early.

image.png.808464613ddc342839fd47e3c62698f6.png

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 2:07 AM, fastyacht said:

Apparently he doesn't read the New York Times. Who knew?

Or, indeed ANY news. Has he been living under a rock or something?!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, triple trouble said:

yup it has sure hit the Republican stronghold of NYC hard hasn't it?

"Apparently he doesn't read the New York Times. Who knew?" - apparently not many given the number "Save a journalist's job" and similar 'begging for bucks' opp's for subscription  emails I get nearly every day.

Have you lived in Florida?

I have.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, ROADKILL666 said:

Oh, no, it's not bullshit.  It's just that Florida has a lot more essentials than other states.  Like boat rentals.  What could be more essential than boat rentals? 

No doubt the restaurant and bar owners have gotten the message you'd better have a lobbying group flush with cash if you want the government to work for you.

15 hours ago, The Main Man said:

Or, indeed ANY news. Has he been living under a rock or something?!

He's a republican in Florida.  Do they live anywhere else?

49 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

He's a republican in Florida.  Do they live anywhere else?

Unfortunately, yes.

On 4/2/2020 at 12:42 PM, Raz'r said:

So, can Drumpf still go to Mar-a-lago?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/trump-made-florida-his-official-residence-he-may-have-also-made-a-legal-mess/2020/05/07/17d53fb2-849c-11ea-878a-86477a724bdb_story.html

Trump made Florida his official residence. He may have also made a legal mess.

Excerpt -

According to those documents, and additional materials obtained by The Washington Post, Trump agreed in writing years ago to change the use of the Mar-a-Lago property from a single-family residence to a private club owned by a corporation he controls.

The distinction is significant. The property is taxed as a private club — not as a residence, according to Palm Beach County property appraiser records. Trump’s own attorney assured local officials in Palm Beach before they voted to approve the club in 1993 that he would not live there. Mar-a-Lago’s website says only that Trump maintains “private quarters” at the club.

“It’s one or the other — it’s a club or it’s your home,” Reginald Stambaugh, an attorney who represents a neighbor opposed to Trump’s dock plan, said in a recent interview. “You can’t have it both ways.”

If Stambaugh and his client have their way and persuade Palm Beach to stand firm on its long-standing agreement, Trump will be forced to make a choice, he said: Stop operating Mar-a-Lago as a club and make it a single-family home again or change his official domicile to someplace else.

White House and Mar-a-Lago officials did not respond to interview requests.

President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in West Palm Beach, Fla. President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in West Palm Beach, Fla. (Saul Martinez/Getty Images)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

The property is taxed as a private club — not as a residence

So a private club pays less property tax than a homeowner would?

9 hours ago, Jules said:

So a private club pays less property tax than a homeowner would?

Non-profit organisations qualify for exemptions everywhere and Florida would be no different for property related taxes. However Trump's private club a non-profit?? 

There might be an even bigger can of worms he if has obtained any federal tax-exempt status because he says it operates as a non-profit Club and it doesn't.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Non-profit organisations qualify for exemptions everywhere and Florida would be no different for property related taxes. However Trump's private club a non-profit?? 

Right.  Like there's ever been anything Trump has involved himself in that he hasn't personally profited.

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

There might be an even bigger can odont worms he if has obtained any federal tax-exempt status because he says it operates as a non-profit Club and it doesn't.

I don't believe it's a non profit (501c7 Social Club) I think its a normal for profit corporation. Property taxes are set by the town/county..  I guess it depends on how they treat it locally.  M-A-L is assessed at $26.6m and pays $500k in taxes coded as a club..   A much smaller private property next to him is coded 'single family' and is assessed  at $34m and pays $640k in taxes. So there is a big difference in calculating club versus private residence 

https://www.pbcgov.org/papa/Asps/PropertyDetail/PropertyDetail.aspx?parcel=50434335050000203

29 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

I guess it depends on how they treat it locally.  M-A-L is assessed at $26.6m and pays $500k in taxes coded as a club..   A much smaller private property next to him is coded 'single family' and is assessed  at $34m and pays $640k in taxes. So there is a big difference in calculating club versus private residence 

Pulling this out of my arse as I have no idea how they tax.

If property taxes are assessed on "unimproved land value" and MAL is  encumbered with "heritage restrictions" which puts a lid on "unimproved land value."

A neighbouring property even if smaller isn't so encumbered and could be redeveloped into something more than just a single dwelling and so it's "unimproved land value" higher and hence property taxes are higher.

59 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pulling this out of my arse as I have no idea how they tax.

If property taxes are assessed on "unimproved land value" and MAL is  encumbered with "heritage restrictions" which puts a lid on "unimproved land value."

A neighbouring property even if smaller isn't so encumbered and could be redeveloped into something more than just a single dwelling and so it's "unimproved land value" higher and hence property taxes are higher.

And the historical society states master artwork has to stay on the walls 

4B49AD0A-D7A7-4708-B52F-6748A2ED32A0.jpeg