Sign in to follow this  
JSL

nurses

My middle child and 23 year old elder daughter is a second year nurse at one of the larger Boston hospitals.  She works on  a  med surg cardiac rehab floor . Two other floors in the building are switched to corona patients. At the end of shift Monday she learned her floor was also changed to corona and her patients shipped elsewhere in the hospital. She was given one lesson in how to properly put on and take off PPE and was told she would get one N 95 mask per shift.  It would be the last piece of PPE to take off and she would get a bag to store the mask and she would re-use the mask throughout her shift. She remarked  its been unnerving to hear the almost constant rapid response requests over the intercom from the floors already dealing with the crisis.  She has been off yesterday and today , her first corona shift is tomorrow 7 to 7. She is nervous .  I am scared.

This is a shout out to my daughter, but also to all nurses, doctors and frontline medical staff who are out there right now putting their lives on the line.

We live far away , but tomorrow morning at 6;30 am,  I will be outside applauding as my daughter goes to work.

• Like 13

Man that's tough. Every night at 7 pm in Vancouver the people go outside, cheer, bang pots and pans and make noise to acknowledge the health care workers who are putting themselves at risk.

The local head ER doctor at a big hospital said it really cheered them up to know that the population was cheering them on.

Glad your daughter is so young and very likely to be spared serious effects even if she gets ill. 

• Like 2

Sending good thoughts her way, she is one of the many brave med staff who are making a real difference.  The nurses out there are real heros.

My sister is a nurse in Portland, in the true some what off humor nurses seem to have, she said super busy lots of stress but parking is amazing.....

Thank You both,

yes Zonk I'm expecting she'll get it, but also hoping she'll be OK 

and Sass , best wishes to your sister, sounds like similar humor!

Posted (edited)

Get your daughter a cheap rice cooker. The $15 variety will do. 40 minutes in a DRY rice cooker will bring the mask back to nearly new. Elastic may be damaged, so give her some of the 2mm dyneema you probably have in your toolbox to make new earloops.

Stanford’s guide to PPE reuse

A formal study of mask decontamination methods

One pager cheat sheets on C19 & related

Edited by apophenia
Adding a link to the onepagers

I just talked to my cousin in Europe. They have a time every evening when everyone goes to the window and applauds all the nurses and doctors who are fighting so valiantly for all of our lives.

2 hours ago, JSL said:

Thank You both,

yes Zonk I'm expecting she'll get it, but also hoping she'll be OK 

and Sass , best wishes to your sister, sounds like similar humor!

Viral Load is the problem not properly considered. Amount of the virus can makes the difference between a mild case and a tragic case. The proper fit testing of the N95 is really really important--otherwise lots of stuff can get by, and then there is the procedure of disrobing and cleaning--especially your face--getting stuff in your mouth/nose during cleaning. I think you probably want the suds to go on before a rinse. I haven't heard anyone write about this but I've thought about it.

38 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I just talked to my cousin in Europe. They have a time every evening when everyone goes to the window and applauds all the nurses and doctors who are fighting so valiantly for all of our lives.

Just had it half an hour ago. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Viral Load is the problem not properly considered. Amount of the virus can makes the difference between a mild case and a tragic case. The proper fit testing of the N95 is really really important--otherwise lots of stuff can get by, and then there is the procedure of disrobing and cleaning--especially your face--getting stuff in your mouth/nose during cleaning. I think you probably want the suds to go on before a rinse. I haven't heard anyone write about this but I've thought about it.

If you are curious, detailed PPE best practices can be found here: https://covid-19.alibabacloud.com/

Did the CCP react too slowly? Is China a pathological liar when it comes to statistical data? Despite all this, can we still learn from them? I believe the answer two all three questions is a strong YES. 

I had it a month ago with very mild symptoms and I’m 53. Your daughter will be fine. She just needs to keep her immune system up to the task of working under stress. 

Thank you all,

I saw the videos of the folks in Europe applauding on their balconies and thought that was pretty cool.

Read a good article on viral loading couple of weeks ago. Virus doubles in your body every few hours .If you start with a small load it gives your body time to get defenses organized . if you start with a bigger loading then it has a head start. There are theories that's why young healthy Doctors and Nurses are getting really sick. Procedures that they are close to cause coughing, spluttering etc which gives off massive viral loading.  I'm sure there are others here more knowledgeable on this !

I could tell she listened pretty intently as I relayed the information to her. She gets a full face mask over the N 95. But only a gown and not a full suit as you see in pictures from China. She drops the gown in the trash as she leaves room, takes face shield off outside room and disinfects at cleaning station then last is face mask.  She's been told to try and cluster care and try not to visit a patient more than four times in a shift. I'm sure in an attempt to conserve PPE. 

Thanks for the info on PPE!

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I had it a month ago with very mild symptoms and I’m 53. Your daughter will be fine. She just needs to keep her immune system up to the task of working under stress. 

You are in 80%. 20% require hospitalisation and half of those ICU / ventilation. Don't get into that ICU you are a body bag. Over 60 medical staff in Italy haven't died from stress.

• Like 2

I believe it. Our club steward is a long time friend. His wife is a nurse and she is in the thick of it every day. 
I’m glad to be healthy and I hope my light contact with others didn’t cause any spread 

Daughter, 22, has just passed exam and is now brand new registered nurse. Historical plan for her was to spend summer in Europe to celebrate amazing achievement. Then look for work. Dilemma now is whether to look for work immediately.  She will be hired for sure.  Health care regulators have been asked to build HR contingencies for the expected surge - looking at re-activating recent retired, accelerating almost graduated students, etc..

She is torn - obliged by what drew her to nursing in the first place and the fact that 20% of serious cases in some jurisdictions are infected health care workers. She has stated that if she is nursing she will be at risk and therefore so are we (same house)

Shitty call to have to make when up until a few weeks ago she was thrilled to be embarking on next chapter in her life

My daughter in law ( Hendo30chick) is also a nurse. She is four months pregnant.  Some days she works with covid patients,  and some days she is assigned elsewhere., but always with very sick patients. We are concerned  for both her and the babies health.  She is one tough sailor!!

Posted (edited)

IMG_1776.mov

I don’t know if the link works. This is the pots and pans banging from our patio in Kitsilano. Every night it gets louder. 

edit: shoot, it doesn't. I'll work on it. 

Edited by no shoes
spelling

23 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Were you confirmed with a test, or just symptomatic?

23 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Shit - Glad to hear you are Ok mate - you are the SA patient zero. - I better clean my keyboard after posting this.

Cwinsor - Thats a tough call. My daughter is already in frying pan. If you're outside looking in after someone turned up the heat, its hard to want to jump in ! If I could get her out , would I? Don't know. Assuming she comes through it could be a pinnacle moment that will carry her a long way. Thats hard, for you and her!

Eerie-  My daughter said " Dad, I'm lucky. I'm not married, no kids and I'm not pregnant" :)  She has been my hero for a while, but that really sealed the deal! Your daughter in law is also a hero !

• Like 2

I was just symptomatic since there was no news of it in the US. I have never had a dry, unproductive and harsh cough like I had and an inability to catch my breath after lying down for a while. But never had a fever, just some aches. 

I flew to Florida on January 14th, and some fat old woman boarded wearing a  mask. About a half hour into the flight, she pulled the mask down and hacked the way I did in February. I thought then, whatever she has, I’m going to get. 

I’m blaming her 

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Shit - Glad to hear you are Ok mate - you are the SA patient zero. - I better clean my keyboard after posting this.

Thanks, I woke up scared after the 3rd night of 4 hours of Athsma symptoms. A lady from our local social club bar  died yesterday from it. She was old, fat and diabetic...