Tom O'Keefe

Transpac 2021

Recommended Posts

So, Merlin is expressing interest. And rumor has it there will be an OEX representative on the line. Who's next?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If PacCup doesn’t happen, I’ll sign up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does one become crew for these races? The Latitude 38 crew party hasn't been working for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, Tom O'Keefe said:

So, Merlin is expressing interest. And rumor has it there will be an OEX representative on the line. Who's next?

We're in. Entered, committed, good to go. Cuz...

If you have Merlin and don't do Transpac...

You go to hell.

2019_TRANSPAC_FINISH_CROP.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Some.Rando said:

How does one become crew for these races? The Latitude 38 crew party hasn't been working for me. 

Sail. A lot. Show up early. Stay late and clean up. Bring cookies. Do everything, boat prep, clean the head, etc.  Sail well, be fun on the boat.

Show up to boat maintenance days, etc.  Help to coordinate crew.

Be indispensable to the owner. 

I can't imagine going to a party and signing on a race crew. A delivery crew? sure.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Transpac rides are usually the culmination of at least a two year program committment. Owners that want to make that big of an investment want a team that they have confidence in. That comes with time working together offshore in all conditions. And, there are only so many events on the offshore calendar. I did 20 years of offshore before I got my first Transpac finish. And yes, I did get my third Transpac ride aboard Rag Time by rubbing elbows at a post race party. But, that's a whole nother story. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Sail. A lot. Show up early. Stay late and clean up. Bring cookies. Do everything, boat prep, clean the head, etc.  Sail well, be fun on the boat.

Show up to boat maintenance days, etc.  Help to coordinate crew.

Be indispensable to the owner. 

I can't imagine going to a party and signing on a race crew. A delivery crew? sure.

Strangely I was picked up by the boat I did my 1st Hobart on while wearing a coffee filter on my head in a bar!

That said between then and being selected to crew offshore I did ALL of the things you suggest (except bring cookies, I found beer a better bet).

Long & the short of it is be around the boats doing what you want to do and get respected for what you do on other boats & you will get the offer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Strangely I was picked up by the boat I did my 1st Hobart on while wearing a coffee filter on my head in a bar!

That said between then and being selected to crew offshore I did ALL of the things you suggest (except bring cookies, I found beer a better bet).

Long & the short of it is be around the boats doing what you want to do and get respected for what you do on other boats & you will get the offer.

Weren't you picked up as a grinder?  you could almost argue having the filter on your head is why you got the ride.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Sail. A lot. Show up early. Stay late and clean up. Bring cookies. Do everything, boat prep, clean the head, etc.  Sail well, be fun on the boat.

Show up to boat maintenance days, etc.  Help to coordinate crew.

Be indispensable to the owner. 

I can't imagine going to a party and signing on a race crew. A delivery crew? sure.

I think all those things said in the post above and others are true but the reality is there are only so many boats that are going to do Tpac, let alone more than one.  Finding that boat and being part of it is really the bigger challenge.  More interested folks than spaces.   There's always the random connections that were mentioned previously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 6:59 PM, Some.Rando said:

How does one become crew for these races? The Latitude 38 crew party hasn't been working for me. 

That is one of the biggest races in the world and on a lot of bucket lists, I did it last year. I have owned and crewed on boats for 30 years and built up a rep for being a good and dependable crew member that could work all positions on the boat. When asked I committed to putting a year with the boat prior to the race. Lots of boat prep projects, cleaning, loaning equipment and doing all local and offshore races to practice with race crew. I also did the three day delivery to Long Beach plus even more prep when we got there. Also was responsible for provisioning and making freezer meals which thank you to Gladstones restaurant deep froze for us prior to the race. Latitude is a great magazine and the crew party will get you on local beer can and YRA races. Transpac 2019 was a lifetime highlight and Im going to do it again!!!!!

stale_mini_6ee6.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 6:59 PM, Some.Rando said:

How does one become crew for these races? The Latitude 38 crew party hasn't been working for me. 

The most reliable way to get a ride in a Hawaii race is to buy a suitable boat and enter the solo race from SF to Kauai.  Many have done this over the race's 42 year history.  The most popular boat has been the Olson 30 and those are relatively affordable, but many kinds of boats have done the race, from Cal 20s to Open 60s.

Do the progression of SSS races, which is designed to prepare you.  Do some Bay races, then the Singlehanded Farallones, then the LongPac.  Go to the seminars, ask a bunch of questions, get help with your boat, and before long you'll be racing a sailboat to Hawaii.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobJ said:

The most reliable way to get a ride in a Hawaii race is to buy a suitable boat and enter the solo race from SF to Kauai.  Many have done this over the race's 42 year history.  The most popular boat has been the Olson 30 and those are relatively affordable, but many kinds of boats have done the race, from Cal 20s to Open 60s.

Do the progression of SSS races, which is designed to prepare you.  Do some Bay races, then the Singlehanded Farallones, then the LongPac.  Go to the seminars, ask a bunch of questions, get help with your boat, and before long you'll be racing a sailboat to Hawaii.

or if you aren't insane/and/or have at least one friend, buy a small well built boat, and do the Pac Cup double handed.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2020 at 10:02 PM, stinky said:

or if you aren't insane/and/or have at least one friend, buy a small well built boat, and do the Pac Cup double handed.

 

 

I've had my eye on a lovely Olson 40 not too far from where I live. Does anyone here have any experience with these? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Some.Rando said:

I've had my eye on a lovely Olson 40 not too far from where I live. Does anyone here have any experience with these? 

would be a weapon for cal coastal and Hawaii races.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That boat looks well preserved & un-modified from birth (no spare holes visible). She has not raced T-pac, in '83 (?) when O-40's & SC-40's were new and a bunch did T-Pac, the race committee required the addition of a ring frame in the bow after a SC had to hull/deck joint fail racing the Santa Barbera Island (?) race. I don't know if that is still a requirement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 6:54 AM, Brian M. said:

We're in. Entered, committed, good to go. Cuz...

If you have Merlin and don't do Transpac...

You go to hell.

2019_TRANSPAC_FINISH_CROP.jpg

Good on ya mate for keeping the faith and go the Merlin!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 7:11 PM, ExOmo said:

I think all those things said in the post above and others are true but the reality is there are only so many boats that are going to do Tpac, let alone more than one.  Finding that boat and being part of it is really the bigger challenge.  More interested folks than spaces.   There's always the random connections that were mentioned previously.

Or you can take the Steve Forbes route, be born into a rich family and don't piss off your elders,  Then you can buy your own racer and audition the people who want to go with you.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 2:29 PM, longy said:

That boat looks well preserved & un-modified from birth (no spare holes visible). She has not raced T-pac, in '83 (?) when O-40's & SC-40's were new and a bunch did T-Pac, the race committee required the addition of a ring frame in the bow after a SC had to hull/deck joint fail racing the Santa Barbera Island (?) race. I don't know if that is still a requirement.

Was racing an SC 40, new in the PNW Straits of Georgia race w/ Bobbo Larson who worked w/ Bill Lee when the hull started oil canning up forward about 6-9", had to convince the owner we should stop as it was blowing a hoolie and getting dark and we didn't want to swim home.  They added a full length stringer and the boat crossed oceans without a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Or you can take the Steve Forbes route, be born into a rich family and don't piss off your elders,  Then you can buy your own racer and audition the people who want to go with you.

Always recommended

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am certainly a fan of the Olson 40. Favorite "thing" I have ever owned. This was a 12 knot day, sailing with full main and lapper (about 90% jib). 9-10 knots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking that volunteering for the return trip is my best bet. I'll participate in the race when I get my own boat. 

Hey, anyone looking for crew for the return trip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Some.Rando said:

I'm thinking that volunteering for the return trip is my best bet. I'll participate in the race when I get my own boat. 

Hey, anyone looking for crew for the return trip?

Possibly. We had 3 lined up for the return this year, they all expressed a willingness to do TPac return (Ending in SF) but a 4th would be nice. One of the current crew is a 100ton, and the other 2 have done Hawaii together on a smaller lightweight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spindrift V is in

How bout an informal 72 rater class...

J-35's, C&C 115's, J-36's, and the like

Oh yeah and some more E-37's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 3:28 PM, Tom O'Keefe said:

Transpac rides are usually the culmination of at least a two year program committment. Owners that want to make that big of an investment want a team that they have confidence in. That comes with time working together offshore in all conditions. And, there are only so many events on the offshore calendar. I did 20 years of offshore before I got my first Transpac finish. And yes, I did get my third Transpac ride aboard Rag Time by rubbing elbows at a post race party. But, that's a whole nother story. 

So...that's what you were rubbing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, we are eight months out and have 44 registered entries. We should have a vaccine generally available before the race. So, hopefully we'll be able to have at least some of the parties. But, regardless the competition looks incredible so far. 

I for one can't wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m no longer planning on participating as odds are I’d be up for the vaccine either right before or in the weeks following the start. The Hobart gave a good example of the risks associated with a planning for an logistics intensive race without full confidence that the virus won’t shut it down. 
 

Being America, I half expect it to go forward but in an unsafe manner with the level of behavior seen by the yacht club regulars around here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 12:06 AM, stinky said:

anyone want to put odds on this summers Transpac happening? 

Right to travel between American states is constitutionally guaranteed (unlike Australia) and I just don't think this will be voluntarily cancelled.

Port Huron to Mackinac race (~250 miles) went on this year after the organizing club put out some ridiculous recommendations like everyone quarantine for two weeks before hand and sleep on deck.  Chicago to Mackinac race was cancelled because the marinas in Chicago are largely government owned and they didn't put the boats in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

We should have a vaccine generally available before the race.

Not at the current pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, Alberta said:

 

Being America, I half expect it to go forward but in an unsafe manner with the level of behavior seen by the yacht club regulars around here. 

Why stop now

Hawaii had an opportunity to hold it back.... i assume the reason they didn't was due to the statement below... ? 

18 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Right to travel between American states is constitutionally guaranteed (unlike Australia) and I just don't think this will be voluntarily cancelled.

 

And you don't fuck with an American's constitutional rights....... right...?

 

I'd love to do this race

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Why stop now

Hawaii had an opportunity to hold it back.... i assume the reason they didn't was due to the statement below... ? 

And you don't fuck with an American's constitutional rights....... right...?

Hawaii could have shut down the publicly owned airports.  That would have kept out all but sailors and ultra rich people with private jets/airports.

They absolutely can not tell other Americans not to come to Hawaii.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far during the pandemic the boat I race on has raced twice a month ever since May. The post race festivities have been curtailed. But, the racing itself has gone on. The TPYC board plans to consult with Hoag Hospital and abide by all the directives of the local and Federal authorities. But, it's up to the owner's and their crew to decide what is best for them. So far we have 49 registered entrants and we are seven months out. No one has a crystal ball. But, all indications are that we will have a race and it will be well attended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

So far during the pandemic the boat I race on has raced twice a month ever since May. The post race festivities have been curtailed. But, the racing itself has gone on. The TPYC board plans to consult with Hoag Hospital and abide by all the directives of the local and Federal authorities. But, it's up to the owner's and their crew to decide what is best for them. So far we have 49 registered entrants and we are seven months out. No one has a crystal ball. But, all indications are that we will have a race and it will be well attended.

And it's shit like this that is the reason why ambulances in LA county are no longer bringing people with stopped hearts to hospitals because the hospitals are overwhelmed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jackolantern said:

And it's shit like this that is the reason why ambulances in LA county are no longer bringing people with stopped hearts to hospitals because the hospitals are overwhelmed

Sad but by looking at examples around the globe..... it's true

5 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

So far during the pandemic the boat I race on has raced twice a month ever since May. The post race festivities have been curtailed. But, the racing itself has gone on. The TPYC board plans to consult with Hoag Hospital and abide by all the directives of the local and Federal authorities. But, it's up to the owner's and their crew to decide what is best for them. So far we have 49 registered entrants and we are seven months out. No one has a crystal ball. But, all indications are that we will have a race and it will be well attended.

We now know when we rely on the masses to do the right thing, or self isolate, they selfishly don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been incredibly frustrating, and ultimately pushed me to give up on Transpac this year, to see how many SoCal yachties are ignoring public health and sailing fully crewed, mixing households, not wearing masks even on the dock, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We made the call to cancel our participation as we've not been able to sail as a team since, well, a year ago, and likely wont get to sail together until, when, April?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

So far during the pandemic the boat I race on has raced twice a month ever since May. 

How do you comply with the 6ft distancing with masks?   Can't see how that is possible.

The stay at home orders are pretty specific in CA regarding outdoor exercise, etc.   It is also clear about 6ft separation which I can't and don't see (look at your friends that are still racing facebook posts, etc.) being abided by.   Sad.   It looks like another year without being able to hang out close with friends and competitors because asshats continue to break the rules.   I hope you have enjoyed your sailing.....   you are ruining it for those of us that complied.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, solosailor said:

How do you comply with the 6ft distancing with masks?   Can't see how that is possible.

The stay at home orders are pretty specific in CA regarding outdoor exercise, etc.   It is also clear about 6ft separation which I can't and don't see (look at your friends that are still racing facebook posts, etc.) being abided by.   Sad.   It looks like another year without being able to hang out close with friends and competitors because asshats continue to break the rules.   I hope you have enjoyed your sailing.....   you are ruining it for those of us that complied.   

double hand, driver and pit/bow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way it's going, TPac will most likely have a big number of drop outs this year. For some veteran boats, I'm sure they'll still go if the State of Hawaii eases their quarantine rules.

FYI - Newport to Cabo Race is in March, this event currently has 23 entries and growing. It will be interesting to see if they continue forward or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

The way it's going, TPac will most likely have a big number of drop outs this year. For some veteran boats, I'm sure they'll still go if the State of Hawaii eases their quarantine rules.

FYI - Newport to Cabo Race is in March, this event currently has 23 entries and growing. It will be interesting to see if they continue forward or not.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out early in the year.  My other sport is cycling and while I no longer race bikes I do know that at the moment there is absolutely no amateur bike racing going on in SoCal.  Other events: Sea Otter has been pushed back to October, Rock Cobbler has been postponed along with many other endurance events.

I was chatting with the boat captain for one of the TP 52's entered in cabo. They are planning to get tested before leaving SF and then travel down by bus (bubble) from SF to a house in NPB then board the boat the next day and race!

I wonder how many other teams are taking those precautions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TPYC is working with an expert Virologist to determine the best precautions to put in place. Cabo in March is a lot closer coming up. But, I believe there will be testing required before the start and probably upon arrival in Cabo. The current test can get you results in 15 minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the way its going it will be a far from normal race if it even happens? so next up its Pac cup 2022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now