Editor

well this is bullshit

The port of San Diego just announced that recreational boating in San Diego bay is prohibited, effective today. This is totally unnecessary, a typical overreaction, and I am super pissed.

Here’s why it is ridiculous. Here is their previous policy:

Consistent with state orders regarding recreation, it’s allowed so long as you can maintain a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household. Per the state stay-at-home order, non-essential gatherings of any size are not allowed. Everyone has the responsibility to “Flatten the COVID-19 Curve” by maintaining a social distance of 6 feet or more when recreating in the outdoors, and staying home if they are sick. If you cannot maintain social distancing, you need to go elsewhere or return home.

What is wrong with that? It is near perfect. But no, the dopes on Port board had to go and fuck it up and install draconian measures that do almost NOTHING to keep people safe, but do EVERYTHING to piss of the thousands of boaters here. Talk about government overreach.

And so are people going sailing tomorrow supposed to know about this late in the date horseshit announcement?  What, are they going to ticket people? Impound their boats? Arrest them?

Guess what? I’m going sailing tomorrow anyway. Arrest me, bitches. I need some good content. – ed.

• Downvote 1

Agreed - been out on the bay a few times in the last week and it's been pretty quiet, and the boats that have been out have all been pretty empty - 2 or 3 people.  Doesn't seem like the problem is on the water.  They can go fuck themselves.

Well, it’s not like the totalitarians haven’t been leading to this in CA for decades. 

Launching tomorrow to beat the ban here. I have to take the opportunity to enjoy it while I can.

Everyone loves the government. Especially in California. Surely they wouldn't wrongfully take your freedom away! I'm sure you just don't appreciate how good your overlords are being to you!

Just kidding. That sucks. 

11 minutes ago, Sparrow50 said:

Did you read the LA Times article that links to? Some wingnut atmospheric chemist is all worked up in a lather over seafoam being the source of aerosolized coronavirus.

The local governments are most certainly applying punitive measures designed to subject the subjects to the new normal. Simply obey - no questions please. You don't need to sail, or play golf, or fish, or go camping, skiing....because we say so. These activities waste valuable resources better utilized for supporting homeless and illegal aliens. And since you can't participate in these activities any longer, you don't need your SUV or pick-up truck. These will be collected shortly. You must have an approved EV.  Gasoline and diesel will be rationed to those deemed most valuable to the collective. Vacation homes will be commandeered for repurposing. 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, snipelee said:

The local governments are most certainly applying punitive measures designed to subject the subjects to the new normal. Simply obey - no questions please. You don't need to sail, or play golf, or fish, or go camping, skiing....because we say so. These activities waste valuable resources better utilized for supporting homeless and illegal aliens. And since you can't participate in these activities any longer, you don't need your SUV or pick-up truck. These will be collected shortly. You must have an approved EV.  Gasoline and diesel will be rationed to those deemed most valuable to the collective. Vacation homes will be commandeered for repurposing. 

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, fastyacht said:

Did you read the LA Times article that links to? Some wingnut atmospheric chemist is all worked up in a lather over seafoam being the source of aerosolized coronavirus.

Yes, absolute garbage. She is either a straight up liar or an idiot. I'm going with the former, an ideologue who is sure the ends justifies the means. Just like how early on the CDC told us not to wear masks because they wouldn't help. 

On second thought, maybe she really is an idiot. Then there is the idiot that put it in the article without any questioning.

• Like 2

Hey Ed,  <thread-drift>How do you delete attachments when you are near the limit. Can we please delete all attachments more than say 6 months old?</thread-drift> Thank you.

Guess what? I’m going sailing tomorrow anyway. Arrest me, bitches. I need some good content. – ed.

Now that is as funny as I have ever read from Scot.

2 hours ago, snipelee said:

I almost agreed with the first half....

However I don’t care about a bunch of rich fucks in California cryin about not being able to sail. You can sit at home with the rest of us. The ramps are already closed to us poors so if you slipped boaters go out I hope they throw the book at you.

Not saying any of this is right but fuck the fucking fuckers who have slips and can get around the ban. I doubt they will be enforcing it for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

Now that is as funny as I have ever read from Scot.

You have been here long enough to read funnier.

time for another tantrum scooter? I swear you cry like a 16 year old girl who got dumped on prom night. 

• Like 2

I don't get this thread....

Scooter is a left wing nut job with little tolerance for anyone right of left and then he cries like a baby when the Government acts to curtail his freedoms in exactly the way that the hard left and communists do when they are in power.

Make up your fucking mind Scooter.

The centre rule, go fuck yourself extremists of either side...

• Like 4

The shut down all recreational boating in NZ for a couple of reasons.

The main reason given is that the rescue service here is voluntary, not part of government, and if you go on the water and need help people will need to break quarantine themselves to rescue you. Also I think the intend was to cut out social behaviors like rafting, heading out with lots of people, etc.

I also suspect it's because posting rules about who you can sail or fish with makes enforcement difficult, and I don't know how many resources they have to police this. I mean, who do guys fish with usually? Their spouses or their buddies? Ditto for many sailors.

So if you say "here are these rules for boating, comply" then you don't check it, there's no way to see if those two guys in that boat together live in the same house without going up to them and checking IDs.

I don't think governments want to extend themselves to get into checking every boat on the water right now, since there's more than enough bullshit to deal with on land.

• Like 1

I see in the USA you are now getting 1000's of deaths a day, and this will increase over time as infected people show up as positive. Look at the published stats, the contagion rate is exponential & the death rate around 5%. So, for all you people who think it is OK to go sailing this weekend, what if just one person who goes out with you is contagious? That could result in you contracting the virus and in the week before everything shows you could well have resulted in a further 128 people also having the virus. With a death rate of 5% that's around 6 people who will die. It won't be a pleasant death, they'll essentially die gasping for breath probably in a hospital corridor given a shortage of ICU beds and ventilators, there will be no family allowed near - but hey your are all tough yachties so you probably don't give a fuck anyway. They are already throwing bodies in refrigerated containers to be carted off for cremation.

So, if you are keen to go out, maybe don't go the whole hog, post on here how proud you are to disregard official advice & nominate just two close contacts you would be happy to see die!

Doesn't need to be a huge post - maybe something along the lines of "I'm going sailing this weekend regardless of the worldwide pandemic because my recreation is more important than anything else & I nominate my parents to be the ones to die!" - or wife, kids, uncle, shopkeeper, yourself, or whoever you don't give a shit about.

• Like 11

When we look back in hindsight with 20/20 knowledge and start judging the decisions that were made, I think it is fair to say that at the moment most governments around the world, are doing the best they can and are prioritising the saving of life over economic pain. 

The idea behind social distancing is to minimise the amount of potential contact points between people as it is possible to be contagious for up to two weeks before you are aware that you have Covid-19.

Every time you leave the house there are potential contact points, whether by accident or not. Cars breakdown, accidents can happen in the most innocuous of circumstances.

In the UK all the kids in the RYA youth program have had their winter training cancelled and advised to stay at home, off the water, and I believe the Olympic squad sailors are also safely staying ashore. 

I hope that I will be able to look back at myself in the mirror at the end of this and know that I did my best to ‘flatten the curve’ and preserve the life of people more vulnerable than me. 

Think of all the people that have had their livelihoods wiped out and are staying at home with an uncertain future.

There are some great video clips out there and the one I think most appropriate is of an old guy playing the piano and the hook phrase in his song is:

Stay The Fuck At Home

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThijsK said:

When we look back in hindsight with 20/20 knowledge and start judging the decisions that were made, I think it is fair to say that at the moment most governments around the world, are doing the best they can and are prioritising the saving of life over economic pain. 

The idea behind social distancing is to minimise the amount of potential contact points between people as it is possible to be contagious for up to two weeks before you are aware that you have Covid-19.

Every time you leave the house there are potential contact points, whether by accident or not. Cars breakdown, accidents can happen in the most innocuous of circumstances.

In the UK all the kids in the RYA youth program have had their winter training cancelled and advised to stay at home, off the water, and I believe the Olympic squad sailors are also safely staying ashore. 

I hope that I will be able to look back at myself in the mirror at the end of this and know that I did my best to ‘flatten the curve’ and preserve the life of people more vulnerable than me. 

Think of all the people that have had their livelihoods wiped out and are staying at home with an uncertain future.

There are some great video clips out there and the one I think most appropriate is of an old guy playing the piano and the hook phrase in his song is:

Stay The Fuck At Home

Yeah man “leaving the house “ is the key , not how good you are at not needing the coastguard or staying 6 feet away from other boats .

boatings not the problem it’s the leaving the house and stopping off to get shit on the way , getting gas maybe a bit of chuff for the pipe that will put you at even more risk of drowning in snot .

• Like 1

My boat is in the Gorge and off limits. I can’t think of a better quarantine activity than sailing alone.

But.....

I also work in the hospital. I have been issued one N-95 mask and told not to lose it because we’re out. People are bringing in hand sewn masks. The anxiety is high. 

My sister lives in China. They have quarantine. We do not. They have it under control.The statistics say we are super fucked

Good year for a solo, non-stop jaunt around the globe...

stay healthy.... dying of a lung constricting pneumonia is real shitty, I’ve heard

• Like 2

33FE2560-C331-4593-9EF6-2D126D51050B.thumb.jpeg.2610caa27052fccaa61fcb6803a7ac7c.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 44forty said:

Yeah man “leaving the house “ is the key , not how good you are at not needing the coastguard or staying 6 feet away from other boats .

^^^^ This. It's not what your doing after leaving the house. It's leaving the house for essentials only. Boating is not an essential unless you can show otherwise ie. a place of isolation. End of story.

Not rocket science.

• Like 5

Famous last words - "I am dying for a day on the boat."

• Like 3

Very anarchy of you Scott. Not looking at the big picture , just me, me, me.

The issue is if everyone thinks like that,  then you can't have social distancing because everyone is out doing their own thing, be it playing in the park or on boats.

For the sake of solidarity and one pain, all pain. STAY IN , for everyones sake.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Editor said:

The port of San Diego just announced that recreational boating in San Diego bay is prohibited, effective today. This is totally unnecessary, a typical overreaction, and I am super pissed.

Consistent with state orders regarding recreation, it’s allowed so long as you can maintain a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household. Per the state stay-at-home order, non-essential gatherings of any size are not allowed. Everyone has the responsibility to “Flatten the COVID-19 Curve” by maintaining a social distance of 6 feet or more when recreating in the outdoors, and staying home if they are sick. If you cannot maintain social distancing, you need to go elsewhere or return home.

What is wrong with that? It is near perfect. But no, the dopes on Port board had to go and fuck it up and install draconian measures that do almost NOTHING to keep people safe, but do EVERYTHING to piss of the thousands of boaters here. Talk about government overreach.

And so are people going sailing tomorrow supposed to know about this late in the date horseshit announcement?  What, are they going to ticket people? Impound their boats? Arrest them?

You're an idiot. Go sail if it's that important to you. I'm in Quebec. Your lack of judgement won't have any impact on me. Just don't come crying on this platform when a month from now you're hooked on a respirator...

Hmmm, this is interesting and I appreciate all view points. So far, my wife and I have indulged in the following activities since Louisiana issued Stay At Home guidelines (not mandatory yet) (Gov. John Bell Edwards still encourages people to engage in outdoor activities but advises using common sense and exercise social distancing. The guidelines also discourage gatherings of over 10 people and to exercise social distancing if over 10).

We go to the grocery store and keep our distance and wash our hands (frequently).

My wife spent 3 days last week with a close friend bird watching in north Louisiana (they are avid birders) and they took their own food with them and they only came into proximity of others if they stopped for gas and misc supplies (mainly water). They made the decision to go since neither for the last month have had any sign of a cough or fever. The hotels they stayed at for two nights were well setup for the current guidelines and were happy to have them as customers. They felt safe the entire trip while exercising vigilance and awareness.

I’ve done three rides on my road bike in the country by myself. I stopped on two of them on the way back and got a post ride coffee going through a drive up.

I go stand up paddle boarding on a river by myself, the launch is a 1/4 mile from our house.

My wife and I are going to the dry storage of our yacht club this afternoon and hoisting our Sprint 750 tri in for a sunset sail, just the two of us. We’ll bring provisions from home and maintain our social distancing if we run into anyone else at the dry storage area.

So are we selfish and irresponsible ( I’ve not had any close contact for the last month with any friends and my wife has only had contact with her birding friend)? I don’t think so (but I’m sure others do and so I’m ready to called whatever). I think we are using common sense while being considerate and careful of others.

While I’m chuckling at Scott being fed a bit of his own medicine, I’m sympathetic to his frustration but he lives in a much more population dense area than I do.

• Like 2

So here in Boston we have 70 firefighters who have tested positive so far - We know the Navy has a big problem -  we will see how many police officers get sick breaking up parties on beaches or boats.

Responsible smart sailors know that we share the water with plenty of idiots.  This plague is bad and could get a lot worse.  We will see what RI decides to do, Ive got 4 boats that will be ready, but I’m OK if first responders don’t want to endure the risks associated with supporting yachting right know.

• Like 1

Sailing (or boating in general) is not a problem in Richmond VA BUT despite urging people to be sure and exercise, the mayor has ordered city parks and park parking places closed on WEEKENDS. Why not during the week as well especially when even local governments in some cases have had massive layoffs to various governmental bodies?

3 hours ago, mad said:

33FE2560-C331-4593-9EF6-2D126D51050B.thumb.jpeg.2610caa27052fccaa61fcb6803a7ac7c.jpeg

If I still dropped acid I would. 

Not being able to sail is driving me insane and breaking  my heart. I was out up to 4 days a week every week since January... 

But to say this again because apparently it needs to be repeated over and over: this doesn't get done if people insist on going out and about. Every time you leave the house you potentially come into contact with CV. It's a risk. And the more people who do that, the greater the risk and the greater the spread. It's not fucking rocket surgery and it truly isn't just about you. 

Personally I'm starting to get mighty pissed off because every person I see wandering around doing non-essential shit, like the fucking weekenders coming up here with the dirt bikes, means more and more time until I can sail. I find myself genuinely hoping they get sick so at least they'll be immobilized and the rest of us, who are paying attention to how this works, can get on with our lives sooner. 

• Like 1

A good idea.  Being out on the water is no problem, but *getting there* is, if your boat's in a slip.  Docks aren't six feet wide, gotta use the restrooms, dockcarts, open gates, use handrails, etc.  I'm a liveaboard so it'll be interesting to see how this stricture plays out.  It'd be easy to enforce,  just park a Harbor Police/CG patrol boat at the entrances to the marinas.

10 hours ago, Trouper said:

I see in the USA you are now getting 1000's of deaths a day, and this will increase over time as infected people show up as positive. Look at the published stats, the contagion rate is exponential & the death rate around 5%. So, for all you people who think it is OK to go sailing this weekend, what if just one person who goes out with you is contagious? That could result in you contracting the virus and in the week before everything shows you could well have resulted in a further 128 people also having the virus. With a death rate of 5% that's around 6 people who will die. It won't be a pleasant death, they'll essentially die gasping for breath probably in a hospital corridor given a shortage of ICU beds and ventilators, there will be no family allowed near - but hey your are all tough yachties so you probably don't give a fuck anyway. They are already throwing bodies in refrigerated containers to be carted off for cremation.

So, if you are keen to go out, maybe don't go the whole hog, post on here how proud you are to disregard official advice & nominate just two close contacts you would be happy to see die!

Doesn't need to be a huge post - maybe something along the lines of "I'm going sailing this weekend regardless of the worldwide pandemic because my recreation is more important than anything else & I nominate my parents to be the ones to die!" - or wife, kids, uncle, shopkeeper, yourself, or whoever you don't give a shit about.

Newbies don't usually burst on the scene with a flamethrower at the Ed.  Maybe this is your preacher's avatar?

• Downvote 1

Look at the shit that went down last weekend with boaters all over the USA having big old raft-up parties.  A lot of folks with boats are idiots, and so the state has to shut down boating entirely.  Seriously, folks, JUST STAY HOME.  Yes, it's boring.  Yes, it may well save your life, or someone else's life. It will help all of us to get past this Covid stuff faster.  Stay home--show that you actually care about somebody other than yourself.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snipelee said:

You don't need to sail, or play golf, or fish, or go camping, skiing....because we say so. These activities waste valuable resources better utilized for supporting homeless and illegal aliens. And since you can't participate in these activities any longer, you don't need your SUV or pick-up truck. These will be collected shortly. You must have an approved EV.  Gasoline and diesel will be rationed to those deemed most valuable to the collective. Vacation homes will be commandeered for repurposing. 

Damn I wish even half of this was true cause it would rule.

• Like 1

I'll try to add something productive here:

If you have a boat, you are already on the somewhat luckier side. So far. Enduring the recurring costs of your beautiful asset and see its value going south is a different discussion.

But: please keep in mind that the more disciplined we are today, the sooner we can party again. And with people who haven't died. Parents even, maybe. Yeah!

We all miss our time on the water. It's what gives us life and the best memories we want to keep.

But: this is a crisis as we haven't seen it in the last 75 years. The kind of stuff, Grandpa will talk about someday. And lets hope, this sht remains a medical and financial thing that does not induce further action.

So. Did your Grandpa tell you of his sailing trips during WW II, how he waived goodbye to the others, going for Europe or Japan? No.

If you can't sail and don't have access to your boat, do the next best thing: help your community. Maybe start at your club. Any doctors etc. there currently working overtime? Any seniors who shouldn't go out for errants? Help them out.

Possibly we'll get out of this poorer in health or money. So get richer in friends.

1 hour ago, The great unwashed said:

Look at the shit that went down last weekend with boaters all over the USA having big old raft-up parties.  A lot of folks with boats are idiots, and so the state has to shut down boating entirely.  Seriously, folks, JUST STAY HOME.  Yes, it's boring.  Yes, it may well save your life, or someone else's life. It will help all of us to get past this Covid stuff faster.  Stay home--show that you actually care about somebody other than yourself.

What state? 

3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Newbies don't usually burst on the scene with a flamethrower at the Ed.  Maybe this is your preacher's avatar?

The death toll is not "thousands per day" in the US - there have only been around 8,000 since this flu arrived - and something like 87% would have been dead within 6 months regardless. 

• Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, snipelee said:

The death toll is not "thousands per day" in the US - there have only been around 8,000 since this flu arrived - and something like 87% would have been dead within 6 months regardless. 

It is now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Scroll down a bit.

Mind you, the figures are always lagging some days. UK was underreporting by a factor of 3 last week. So roughly 150 deaths reported for the 29th turned out to have been more than 400.

And: every life matters until the last breath. If this concept works for you, this should work for everyone. If not, we should really shut this species down and leave it to the dolphins and octopussies.

• Like 1

There is a reason you're allowed to go outside. The last thing the US needs from a health perspective is for everyone to give up on exercising. 

I caught a nice break that Indiana deemed marinas essential, so I'll be working on my boat next week.

• Like 1

We have the same restrictions on boating here but you can still sail 'for exercise'. (Who ever came up with that little gem has never seen the crowd at the end of a yacht race - most 'athletes' look like the before picture in a Jenny Craig ad). But a senior Doc explained it that the government want to stop people moving about and out of their neighborhoods. If there is an outbreak in an area they can jump on it if people are staying locally and it makes contact tracing so much easier. Nevertheless it truly sucks. The boat ramps here have been a shitfight and I think that had a bit to do with there thinking. Yet 1000's of morons went to the markets in Brisbane yesterday - and the government allowed it. 

• Like 2

"Stay-at-home" means just that for all the reasons explained here. How else are we going to stop this thing short of a vaccine? 

I find it as hard as anyone else, our local lake is closed to everything, even fishing and kitesurfing. I still walk my dog, but that truly does not involve either risk (getting the virus myself, or transmitting it to others while still asymptomatic). And I go for bike rides, again without touching anything else or getting near anybody else. I go grocery shopping as rarely as possible, so far twice in two weeks of the Illinois lockdown. I've also done car trips to nearby woods for walks. The only exposure from this is the need to fill up the gas tank, so we use the Prius instead of the Sienna, and wait till near empty, and use a disposable plastic bag to handle the gas pump (both to avoid picking up the virus, and to avoid giving it to someone else if I am asymptomatic). Here's my current conundrum, I'm seriously tempted to head to an open lake further away for kitesurfing given the forecast for a nice strong warm SWester on Tuesday, but will try to restrain myself. I nearly died of pneumonia about 10 years ago, so I know what that drowning feels like, and don't want to go there again or cause anyone else to go there.

• Like 2

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/officials-paddleboarder-arrested-at-malibu-pier-for-flouting-state-stay-at-home-order/

Why does the state just say:

” We will no longer provided residue and assistance to recreational boaters at this time.”  

That way people can still be on the lakes or ocean while practicing social distancing. But no first responders are at risk. You drown, burn, hurt yourself then you’re on your own. Sort of like a “At your own risk” situation. 

7 hours ago, Al Paca said:

If I still dropped acid I would. 

LSD + Anxiety?  :blink:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

"Stay-at-home" means just that for all the reasons explained here. How else are we going to stop this thing short of a vaccine? 

I find it as hard as anyone else, our local lake is closed to everything, even fishing and kitesurfing. I still walk my dog, but that truly does not involve either risk (getting the virus myself, or transmitting it to others while still asymptomatic). And I go for bike rides, again without touching anything else or getting near anybody else. I go grocery shopping as rarely as possible, so far twice in two weeks of the Illinois lockdown. I've also done car trips to nearby woods for walks. The only exposure from this is the need to fill up the gas tank, so we use the Prius instead of the Sienna, and wait till near empty, and use a disposable plastic bag to handle the gas pump (both to avoid picking up the virus, and to avoid giving it to someone else if I am asymptomatic). Here's my current conundrum, I'm seriously tempted to head to an open lake further away for kitesurfing given the forecast for a nice strong warm SWester on Tuesday, but will try to restrain myself. I nearly died of pneumonia about 10 years ago, so I know what that drowning feels like, and don't want to go there again or cause anyone else to go there.

I’ve been enjoying biking without all the cars around. That has been nice...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sailsail said:

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/officials-paddleboarder-arrested-at-malibu-pier-for-flouting-state-stay-at-home-order/

Why does the state just say:

” We will no longer provided residue and assistance to recreational boaters at this time.”  

That way people can still be on the lakes or ocean while practicing social distancing. But no first responders are at risk. You drown, burn, hurt yourself then you’re on your own. Sort of like a “At your own risk” situation. 

Those floating bodies.  Who goes and gets them?  My wife and I would love to go sailing 2 up.  Or me solo on the K1.  But when I was lifeguarding, every once in a while we’d have to call the local authorities to fish out a corpse- usually someone who went night swimming at the beach, after hours, a suicide, or a murder.   What would an infected dead stiff bloated Petri dish do to the aqua?  To the folks fishing it out?  So I get the rules, but it’s a pain.  Meanwhile the boat deteriorates, and I can’t go down to check her.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DustyDreamer said:

Not being able to sail is driving me insane and breaking  my heart. I was out up to 4 days a week every week since January... 

But to say this again because apparently it needs to be repeated over and over: this doesn't get done if people insist on going out and about. Every time you leave the house you potentially come into contact with CV. It's a risk. And the more people who do that, the greater the risk and the greater the spread. It's not fucking rocket surgery and it truly isn't just about you. 

Personally I'm starting to get mighty pissed off because every person I see wandering around doing non-essential shit, like the fucking weekenders coming up here with the dirt bikes, means more and more time until I can sail. I find myself genuinely hoping they get sick so at least they'll be immobilized and the rest of us, who are paying attention to how this works, can get on with our lives sooner. 

The Islands up here finally put a 14 day quarantine on anyone non essential coming from off island, and have asked anyone who doesn’t have to not to go off island and come back,  With any luck we can keep the sick list down to 6, and not turn into Sun Valley.

We are also going insane not sailing.  We retired here to go sailing.  

29 minutes ago, Amati said:

usually someone who went night swimming at the beach, after hours, a suicide, or a murder.  

Those sound like things that are illegal already. 

I was a lifeguard in LA county beaches for three years I’m well aware of the risk. Maybe you worked some terrible areas but Will Rogers never had too many problems. The occasional drunk guy, I think one suicide is all I experienced. Yes, lots of rescues but everyone one I did was someone doing something beyond their ability or not lying attention to the surroundings. Even the kids you pull out were there because their parents didn’t give a shit. Nothing like pulling a kid out and then having to find her parents passed out drunk on a towel. That’s the reason the beaches are closed I assumed, for those idiots. 

If you’re a competent coastal sailor with the right equipment who cares if you sail in marina del ray or stick your nose out? Luckily people are still being safe in Marina Del Ray and it’s still open. I have no issues if they arrest or fine people for being on a boat with people they’re not living with.  However if my wife and I want to drift around Marina Del Ray in a WWP 19 then fuck it. Yeah not going to take the cat out as there is more risk but my 1 knot shit box (that’s being generous) is perfectly safe in the inlet. 

4 minutes ago, sailsail said:

Those sound like things that are illegal already. 

I was a lifeguard in LA county beaches for three years I’m well aware of the risk. Maybe you worked some terrible areas but Will Rogers never had too many problems. The occasional drunk guy, I think one suicide is all I experienced. Yes, lots of rescues but everyone one I did was someone doing something beyond their ability or not lying attention to the surroundings. Even the kids you pull out were there because their parents didn’t give a shit. Nothing like pulling a kid out and then having to find her parents passed out drunk on a towel. That’s the reason the beaches are closed I assumed, for those idiots. 

If you’re a competent coastal sailor with the right equipment who cares if you sail in marina del ray or stick your nose out? Luckily people are still being safe in Marina Del Ray and it’s still open. I have no issues if they arrest or fine people for being on a boat with people they’re not living with.  However if my wife and I want to drift around Marina Del Ray in a WWP 19 then fuck it. Yeah not going to take the cat out as there is more risk but my 1 knot shit box (that’s being generous) is perfectly safe in the inlet. 

What can I say- I’ve been having dreams where I’m listening to the head guard explain rules that didn’t make any sense.  50 years ago.  Aaaack..

• Like 1

oh well, shut down here in NY too, not allowed to really even enter the Marinas as they are closed to the public. I kind of get it but then why are the fucking golf courses open and crawling with golfers? My son in law is a golf pro and I am glad he is busy and making money but really? I cant go see my boat in an empty cold boat yard yet the lawyers, idled doctors and taxfunded civil servants can crowd the golf courses? fuck me :(

• Like 1

Everyone makes some good points but every bodies situation may be different.  My business is considered essential, we do public works engineering as well sanitation engineering and service the waste disposal industry (i.e. landfills).  All of my 22 employees are working from home as much as possible but billing, access to large plotters, and field work still need to get done if I am going to keep these people employed.  I am fortunate that my office is 50 yards from my boat.  I have been sailing about twice week just for a mental break.  Every time I enter the dock gates I sanitize the handle with either wipes or spray disinfectant, entering and exiting the dock.  I sail only solo and having been going out in less than 15 knots.  I have the ability to sail my boat in and out of the slip if needed.  I drive to work in an EV which I charge at home in my driveway (I have not been to gas station 12 months yo!!!).  My office is enclosed and I usually only deal with employees through my closed office glass door or through phone calls or emails.  I have told all employees as of Monday they must wear face masks in and out of office. So what is wrong with me if go for sail at lunchtime?  I believe that we all have a responsibility, and I would endorse the coast guard boarding any recreational boats with more than 1 person to ensure they are all household members but I think banning all recreational boating is a bit extreme.

p.S.  If you are a multiple car household and you do not drive at least one EV your a douche and get with the program.

35 minutes ago, B dock said:

I would endorse the coast guard boarding any recreational boats with more than 1 person to ensure they are all household members but I think banning all recreational boating is a bit extreme.

Enforcement officers shouldnt be put at risk running around enforcing a non-essential activity or taken from something more critical. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, B dock said:

Everyone makes some good points but every bodies situation may be different.

Your situation is unique, laws are not made for individuals but for communities. Through their actions, boaties have shown that they will not comply with social distancing measures when asked to voluntarily, so now it's a blanket ban.

The Coast Guard and Water Police do not have the time or resources to check that every boat on the water is complying with social distancing requirements. They will not board any boat unless they're wearing full PPE, which is a drain on a badly needed resource that should be reserved for the people who need it to save lives, not check compliance with county regulations.

32 minutes ago, B dock said:

p.S.  If you are a multiple car household and you do not drive at least one EV your a douche and get with the program.

You refuse to comply with lawful directions aimed at saving lives, but start name–calling when people don't follow your example for the cars they drive?

• Like 1

Unfortunately law enforcement is their job, it may suck but hey they have to do a lot of other stupid shit.

41 minutes ago, B dock said:

Unfortunately law enforcement is their job, it may suck but hey they have a lot of other stupid shit.

So B dock it's a police/marine enforcement officers job to go out there and enforce instead of banning it and so not having to enforce the stupid.

This for a disease that spreads like wildfire, where you can have it and show no symptoms but still spread it.

A disease where in UK 125,000 front line health workers with symptoms are at home isolating for 2 weeks (not enough PPE and testing to go around) when there is crisis in health care worker number availability.

- Yes Sarge.

- Son I want you to round around and check on these boaters to make sure they are all social distancing while they have a good time.

- But Sarge I don't have any PPE and isn't there a risk I might get it and or might be helping spread it doing that? 

- That's too bad, it's your job.

30 minutes ago, B dock said:

Unfortunately law enforcement is their job, it may suck but hey they have to do a lot of other stupid shit.

Wow, I think you may win the A hole post of the year award. Your concern for all the public servants out there who are not neglecting there duty is awe inspiring.  Unlike the many whining posters about having recreational activities halted, they go out daily putting themselves and their families at risk for the betterment of everyone else.

4 hours ago, snipelee said:

image.png.ef79b25dc93aad3cf65a2894d1c9275c.png

You may notice the exponential nature of the plot... A month ago you had no infections, today over 300,000, fatalities lag as it takes time for people to die. Also, it's not flu - there was a flu pandemic in 1918 & 50million people died worldwide, today there's vaccinations for flu. This Coronavirus has killed around 65,000 worldwide so a fair way behind - although medical experts had told the US government they could expect 2.2million deaths if you did not enforce isolation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobG said:

. They will not board any boat unless they're wearing full PPE, which is a drain on a badly needed resource that should be reserved for the people who need it to save lives, not check compliance with county regulations.

Putting aside risk to them without PPE and PPE shortage. Enforcing social distancing on something non-essential because not prohibited (save for where essential), they are then helping spread what they are enforcing to assist not spread. That's really smart.

It is interesting how different the trmporary restrictions are from place to place.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tillerman said:

Famous last words - "I am dying for a day on the boat."

More like "I'd kill your parents for a day on the boat."

• Like 1

One of the best days ever.

Some of you may be dead next week because you went to the grocery store that won't send sick baggers and cashiers home or refuse to pay sick days when they catch the virus. 

BE SAFE. PLAY SAFE. LIVE HAPPY.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 5:42 PM, Editor said:

Well, aren't you fucking special.  

If your sense of personal entitlement was only 10% larger you could be mistaken for a tRump Tater Tot.  Go ahead, you do you. 

2 hours ago, B dock said:

Well, aren't you fucking special.  

If your sense of personal entitlement was only 10% larger you could be mistaken for a tRump Tater Tot.  Go ahead, you do you. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 8:42 PM, Editor said:

Be careful.  Here in MD we have the same order and DNR has been issuing citations like crazy.   In theory you are allowed to fish or crab if you are eating what you catch but they are citing those folks as well. Threatening to seize boats as well; don't think they have gone that far yet but bet they will to make the point.  You can't fight city hall.  Huge fines and loss of boat ain't worth it.  The funny thing they allowed folks to be on water for exercize so kayaks and SUP were exempt. Was talking to a friend about how law of unintended consequences means if that was the only way to get out somebody would... and sure enough, no kidding, some Kennedy goes out in a canoe  and kills self and kid.  Can't make this shit up (and would not wish that on anyone).  This whole covid thing seems tom be turning into a perverse political game, Darwin contest, economic suicide for those who can least afford the restrictions and bring the red and blue politician closer together huddled in their home away from the unwashed masses. Don't like your civil liberties taken away... get to the polls in November and send a message.  Anyway; good luck out there. The only thing for sure about covid-19 is this whole situation sucks for most everyone in every way possible.

Here in Florida we are allowed to bike, hike, fish, boat or sail as long as we don’t have 10 or more together and don’t pull up on the beach. Our boat is in a slip. My wife and I drove there Thursday, went from the car to the boat , cast the lines and sailed for two hours on a large bay away from everyone. Back to the dock, in the car then straight home.   It was legal and we didn’t touch anything or get within 50 feet of a single person. 

Today I rode my motorcycle in the forest for a couple hours. No stopping except for in the middle of the woods. Been walking 4.5 miles a day (again, not near anyone). We’re lucky that we provisioned early so no grocery trips needed...we’ve been through multiple hurricanes here over the years that shut everything down so we’re pretty used to going off the grid for long periods of time. 

4 hours ago, B dock said:

Everyone makes some good points but every bodies situation may be different.  My business is considered essential, we do public works engineering as well sanitation engineering and service the waste disposal industry (i.e. landfills).  All of my 22 employees are working from home as much as possible but billing, access to large plotters, and field work still need to get done if I am going to keep these people employed.  I am fortunate that my office is 50 yards from my boat.  I have been sailing about twice week just for a mental break.  Every time I enter the dock gates I sanitize the handle with either wipes or spray disinfectant, entering and exiting the dock.  I sail only solo and having been going out in less than 15 knots.  I have the ability to sail my boat in and out of the slip if needed.  I drive to work in an EV which I charge at home in my driveway (I have not been to gas station 12 months yo!!!).  My office is enclosed and I usually only deal with employees through my closed office glass door or through phone calls or emails.  I have told all employees as of Monday they must wear face masks in and out of office. So what is wrong with me if go for sail at lunchtime?  I believe that we all have a responsibility, and I would endorse the coast guard boarding any recreational boats with more than 1 person to ensure they are all household members but I think banning all recreational boating is a bit extreme.

So everyone gets to stay at home unless you own a boat?  I'm not sure I heard an exception to that in the various state "shelter in place" orders.  A lot of people are having to go without playing with their toys or doing various activities.  Get over it.  There are a lot of people that are very sick AND fucking dying from this Covid-19.  I'm an "essential" employee. I found out 3 days ago,  that I was in the same space as a contractor that has been tested positive for Covid-19 10 days ago.  Scared the crap out of me for a while. There are thousand of healthcare worker being exposed to the virus all day long.  In Chicago, the dead are being stacked in refrigerator trailers.  So, if you want to be a whiny little bitch about not being allowed to go play with your boat.... go fuck yourself.  I have zero sympathy for you and your boat.  I hope your family and friends survive you.

There is no way that we are all going to avoid this.  We are all, eventually, going to be exposed at some point in the future.  The idea is to spread that out so that the health care professionals/industry can treat us and possible save us from that eventual exposure.  If we all get exposed near enough together, a lot of us are going to die.  You can look at Italy for what happens in that scenario.  

And, right to B dock,  I call BS to your p.S - not everyone is in a financial situation to be able to afford an EV.  Calling people a douche because they do not have the financial capacity to live their lives according to you, actually highlights what being "a douche" really is. How much damage has making the batteries for that clean EV done to the planet?  How many times  will they need replacing and how often?  I've been keeping my two cars on the road and out of a landfill.  I'm hoping to try to get them to my retirement (hopefully 10-15 years).  When I get to that point, we'll see what transportation options are available.And I have looked into converting one to electric.  I'm not disparaging EVs. I'm disparaging the sanctimonious calling people "a douche" for not being wealthy enough to afford one. I have 2 groceries, 4 liquor stores and a bunch of other shops and services all withing walking distance.  I do ride a bike for groceries when I can.  My old ass mountain-now-cargo bike burns no fuel.  It doesn't rely on grid-fed power to charge itself to move. 

And, if you want a real p.S.  - "your a douche" is not correct.  "You're" demonstrating poor usage of the English language.

• Like 2

You know, we have a constitutional right to navigate, don't ya? Here in California it's even in our State Constitution. Hey, Ed, ain't you some sort of lawyer or somfin?

Applicable Provisions from the California Constitution. The three key principles of the common law Public Trust Doctrine; the right to fish, the right to navigate, and the right to access public tidelands and submerged lands, have been enshrined in the California Constitution since 1879.

You missed the right to be stupid enough to become a victim.

But carry on, its your right.  

2 hours ago, Wess said:

Be careful.  Here in MD we have the same order and DNR has been issuing citations like crazy.   In theory you are allowed to fish or crab if you are eating what you catch but they are citing those folks as well. Threatening to seize boats as well; don't think they have gone that far yet but bet they will to make the point.  You can't fight city hall.  Huge fines and loss of boat ain't worth it.  The funny thing they allowed folks to be on water for exercize so kayaks and SUP were exempt. Was talking to a friend about how law of unintended consequences means if that was the only way to get out somebody would... and sure enough, no kidding, some Kennedy goes out in a canoe  and kills self and kid.  Can't make this shit up (and would not wish that on anyone).  This whole covid thing seems tom be turning into a perverse political game, Darwin contest, economic suicide for those who can least afford the restrictions and bring the red and blue politician closer together huddled in their home away from the unwashed masses. Don't like your civil liberties taken away... get to the polls in November and send a message.  Anyway; good luck out there. The only thing for sure about covid-19 is this whole situation sucks for most everyone in every way possible.

I know three people who have died intubated and gasping.  How many do you know?

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

More like "I'd kill your parents for a day on the boat."

They’ve been dead for more than 30 years...............Trumpian Loophole!

(I get your point)

On 4/4/2020 at 1:08 AM, Trouper said:

I see in the USA you are now getting 1000's of deaths a day, 

what fucking chinese / russian propaganda are you reading ?

36 minutes ago, Keith said:

You missed the right to be stupid enough to become a victim.

But carry on, its your right.  

Frankly, I don't give a shit if the stupid and assholic go out and get themselves sick and even maximize their Darwinic potential.

But I have family in their 70s and 80s, I have family with respiratory issues - I've got a history of asthma FFS, I've got family and friends with other health issues and risks. I know doctors, nurses, medical assistants, hospital employees, cops, firemen - there are a lot of people in my direct and indirect circle at risk for infection and death. And so do most other people.

Those at-risk people have to eat and get stuff from the pharmacy. Zero contact is...difficult...at best and unwieldy, expensive and impractical as a rule. Someone has to go to the pharmacy to pick up the meds my FIL needs, you know? Peapod in the town where my parents live is booked solid, so if they want food they have to go to the grocery every now and then.

What I have is issue with is the stupid, ignorant, selfish assholes that put OTHER PEOPLE at risk by continuing to refuse to self isolate, reduce social contact, and maybe for 30 seconds of their lives think of someone else.

BOTTOM LINE: Everyone that gets infected increases the risk that the contagion might reach someone at-risk, because everyone has contact with everything from doorknobs to walk light buttons. And it pisses me right the fuck off that people like my parents, who are doing their utmost to keep themselves safe and uninfected, might get sick because some fucktarded, selfish, soulless asshat decided he couldn't live another day without doing something dumb or thoughtless.

• Like 4

And this my friends is why the US is going to have such a huge problem.

Way too many of you guys just hate being told what to do, even if it kills you.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

what fucking chinese / russian propaganda are you reading ?

Your fucking president - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/world/coronavirus-live-news-updates.html. More than 8,000 people have died so far in the United States, but the White House has said its projections show that at least 100,000 people could die because of the virus.

It's brain dead fuckwits like you that will cause the issue to be prolonged.

Don't feed the troll.

At least I hope his post was trolling, and he doesn't actually believe the idiocy he posted.

3 hours ago, linaszuk said:

So everyone gets to stay at home unless you own a boat

^^^^° This. Another good way of putting it.

So if you own a boat you are entitled to go out taking something with you that doesn't necessarily have symptoms and increase the risk of catching or infecting anyone, but specifically maritime enforcement officers put there because of you so they can catch it plus spread it even faster. 

Some people really are thoughtless twats. It’s beautiful and sunny this weekend in the UK. Guess what I am doing? STAYING THE F*CK HOME.

14 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

Some people really are thoughtless twats. It’s beautiful and sunny this weekend in the UK. Guess what I am doing? STAYING THE F*CK HOME.

I can see a tightening of the lockdown if people act like dicks today in the UK....... in the meantime, the first BBQ of the year is the plan, the ribs and chicken started marinading at 8 this morning. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mustgettaller said:

Don't feed the troll.

At least I hope his post was trolling, and he doesn't actually believe the idiocy he posted.

No, I shouldn't. I hope his family makes it through. I saw on our news tonight they are asking for another 30 refrigerated trucks in NY to store bodies, existing stock is full & they were loading corpses in via forklift. Locally we are told that 30% of our small businesses will not reopen once our lockdown is over & the financial impact will take decades to repay. Unfortunately the USA is a couple of weeks away from the peak & they already have more cases in NY than entire European countries, or the dreaded China. Whilst Europe seems to be on the downturn & China flatlined the USA will be seeing cases double every 2-3 days, maybe in a week the USA will have 50% of the worlds cases if the trajectory holds. I've an aged uncle in the UK who sustained lung damage serving in the 2nd WW, I'm hoping he can stay isolated enough to make it through as at his age & medical condition he doesn't stand a hope in hell if he gets infected, unfortunately there is no close family to assist.

Take care & best wishes!

If only everyone would do the right thing for a few weeks ('m guessing up 6-10 weeks).. then the process of getting back to normal will start much sooner.

Yeah it's a fucking pain being on lock down.. but anyone with a brain can see it's serious.

The way things are going, in a month or two when the rest of the world emerges from lockdown.. the US will be prevented from joining the party because it can't get its shit under control.

There's an awful lot of stupid going on at the moment.

• Like 4