Sail4beer

Old pics you found

The only regatta the 'flamer won! (IIRC) I crewed on that boat for the remaining races, until the series fell apart

17 minutes ago, thornapple said:

Yes - old pics found. Name that harbor (for you lake sailors)....

42993CDC-4743-4084-A066-B492E9197DBF_1_105_c.jpeg

9492E135-6F23-414F-B501-3D7753F3E526_1_105_c.jpeg

8240A18C-BAF4-4D87-893F-FB76CE2D5285_1_105_c.jpeg

Lake Mac/Macatawa/like where Eldean's is now?

5 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Stubby.jpg

Are those Bremen sails?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Tom McCall's Elliott 40 'Peacemaker' was sold to Japan. Two Japanese girls raced her in the Melbourne to Osaka two-handed race of 1991, renamed 'Raika'. I still have one of her original keel bolts and a race T-shirt here. I had heard she was hauled after that race to become a permanent fixture outside a Japanese clothing manufacturers factory. Don't know if she was ever relaunched which would be a pity because - she was exceptionally fast in her day. Greg would know.

81C1B35B-613F-4D6A-B301-3FB6890126D5.thumb.jpeg.1af9c720107b3ffedb82ca82f984ca0b.jpeg

Thanks for that , forgot about the flow of boats that went up to japan in the early 90s when the place was booming 

Barnegat Bay A Cat Lotus

D6002FA2-349B-4889-A1FD-C89F7EA75902.jpeg

On 4/10/2020 at 6:01 AM, See Level said:

IMG_20200409_105434977~2.jpg

Sportscars post intrigued me so I did some digging , couldn’t find any pics of boats outside clothing factories but found this pic . Bloody impressive those two women handling that beast all the way to Osaka .

AB11B2DD-84E4-472C-8302-3DF1EBB5084C.png

• Like 3

yes. Breman sails.

I had a set, way back when.

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Are those Bremen sails?

2 hours ago, thornapple said:

Yes - old pics found. Name that harbor (for you lake sailors)....

42993CDC-4743-4084-A066-B492E9197DBF_1_105_c.jpeg

9492E135-6F23-414F-B501-3D7753F3E526_1_105_c.jpeg

8240A18C-BAF4-4D87-893F-FB76CE2D5285_1_105_c.jpeg

Only Great Lake harbor I've sailed was Put-In-Bay!  Hence, my only guess.

3 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Are those Bremen sails?

I had a full quiver of Bremen wave and slalom sailboard sails back in the early 80s.

- Stumbling

On 4/10/2020 at 8:42 AM, wal' said:

FloJo's a one off 45 footer.  I think Bullrush is the plug for Peacemaker.  I'd heard Peacemaker was heading back to NZ but someone else told me it was knackered. 

Aah.... I think you meant Mojo - which is a sistership - or the plug - or something

... I need more coffee

Yep Bullrush is the plug for Peacemaker. I nearly bought her in the early 90's when it was named Divine Madness

11 hours ago, 44forty said:

Sportscars post intrigued me so I did some digging , couldn’t find any pics of boats outside clothing factories but found this pic . Bloody impressive those two women handling that beast all the way to Osaka .

AB11B2DD-84E4-472C-8302-3DF1EBB5084C.png

Yes, gutsy girls at a time when few women were actively sailing offshore. Kaori was 27 and Kyoko was 26 at the time. The boat was extensively modified to make her more manageable for them but she was still a powerful beast.

Cookson built, LOA 11.99m,  LWL 11.00m,  Draft 2.54m,  Displ 5100 Kgs  Launched June 1988.

10 hours ago, PhilipNZ said:

Yep Bullrush is the plug for Peacemaker. I nearly bought her in the early 90's when it was named Divine Madness

Oh that's right.  The Bovine Madness

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PhilipNZ said:

Nice Avatar ! 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 1:04 PM, longy said:

The only regatta the 'flamer won! (IIRC) I crewed on that boat for the remaining races, until the series fell apart

That looks like 91. I see Russ and Will's boats. Spot Sport won that year. 

2 hours ago, Mr Moab said:

That looks like 91. I see Russ and Will's boats. Spot Sport won that year. 

I think that's right, Spot Sport and Ziti are probably ahead and out of frame to the right, this might have been the last actual "Ultimate 30 Series" race and the next year we raced as part of Big Boat series..

The entertainment part:lol:

A year later we were having Thursday happy hour cocktails at Ray's in Seattle and decided to buy duraflame. So we left from Ray's and drove to Santa Cruz to pick up the boat at Tuttles shop ( I had to call work and explain that I wouldn't be in because I was in Redding and still headed south to buy a boat:lol:)

We had it sailing Sunday night and became the 4th class in Duck Dodge on that Tuesday night.

I heard its at Jim Betts shop with Bentzen Jr.

What keel came with the boat?? She had two, the first one was fast, then Russel had Milgram design a keel for the Oahu racing - it was slow, we raced with the original. Broke the sprit on a foto shoot for Pryde sails, stuck it back together in a hurry.

Both keels were there, we used the light one also. 2 sprits, 2 booms,

I think we had all the boats but Spot Sport in Seattle. 

The Golden Rule off Hawaii in 1958 

Sail with a purpose 

0?ui=2&ik=e3bf6519e1&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1469999978519335613&th=14667d312b7a12bd&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8nxnNl_wFiI810M0-BuKAXyGzcmtzsCGrELFgc6TTWStMRdxeEdEkcTfpFMEeRPzpJh8uTc1aFATXtxXTi4GPj-orbaaE5dpZ1FPNQ7r6Q9IZ1l45nYYmI620&disp=emb&realattid=ii_hw0snu1g1_1466782db45e77ee

On 4/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, Cal20sailor said:

Willin, 

Is that a spin/whisker pole stored on the outer starboard shroud?  Please tell me it's not a boathook.  Why store it in that manner?  Your boat is truly beautiful and I'd be willing to lose every race to own a piece of art.   

To Everyone Else, 

I'm climbing the walls and this thread has been just great to provide a few smiles on what is otherwise a pretty dismal day.  Thanks to you all.  

That was a pole I borrowed from a guy down the dock. It was my first ever race and wasn't sure if we'd need it on the downwind leg if we got deep enough. Turned out the race was 3 reaching legs. I just hung it on the shroud to keep it out of the way. Thanks for the kind words. We put our hearts into that boat for 6 years.

enhance

This is a photo of a Catalina Island trip in 1958, aboard "sanguine", an Island Clipper built in 1946.  In the photo I am at the helm, Dr. Thad Jones of Transpac navigator fame with son Moke in the companionway, and Larry Remmers a school buddy.

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  

Catalina 1958 No. 1.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, foamy1946 said:

This is a photo of a Catalina Island trip in 1958, aboard "sanguine", an Island Clipper built in 1946.  In the photo I am at the helm, Dr. Thad Jones of Transpac navigator fame with son Moke in the companionway, and Larry Remmers a school buddy.

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  

Catalina 1958 No. 1.jpg

Try again, Skipper!

I happened to be on Paradise Island for Reading Week when the 1982 SORC Miami-Nassau Race finished, and was still there a few days later for the Nassau Cup.  Too young and stoopid to try and hitch a ride, but hung out on the docks a bit and managed invites onboard Running Tide and Evergreen for a look/see/bevvie.

Following a quick run across from Miami, here's Windward Passage, Kialoa, Ondine, and I can't remember the smaller red/white boat's name on the outside of the raft.  Passage was first to finish in just under 17 hours, but the little db1 Right On took the fleet win.

993288520_1982SORCMiamiNassau01.thumb.jpg.4d357a0955e693770432dd1a7160a754.jpg

And here's the big boats just come in from the Nassau Cup a few days later:  Passage, Ondine, Kialoa, Condor, and the same red boat (I dunno), with Retaliation (Dennis Connor) backing in after winning division and fleet for the day, and the overall Championship to boot.  I got a quick tour of the Frers 51 from Tom Whidden afterwards.  Pretty cool stuff for a wide-eyed kid from smalltown Canada!

674540265_1982SORCMiamiNassau02.thumb.jpg.f609e104b625754aad69161a64668535.jpg

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, CriticalPath said:

I happened to be on Paradise Island for Reading Week when the 1982 SORC Miami-Nassau Race finished, and was still there a few days later for the Nassau Cup.  Too young and stoopid to try and hitch a ride, but hung out on the docks a bit and managed invites onboard Running Tide and Evergreen for a look/see/bevvie.

Following a quick run across from Miami, here's Windward Passage, Kialoa, Ondine, and I can't remember the smaller red/white boat's name on the outside of the raft.  Passage was first to finish in just under 17 hours, but the little db1 Right On took the fleet win.

993288520_1982SORCMiamiNassau01.thumb.jpg.4d357a0955e693770432dd1a7160a754.jpg

And here's the big boats just come in from the Nassau Cup a few days later:  Passage, Ondine, Kialoa, Condor, and the same red boat (I dunno), with Retaliation (Dennis Connor) backing in after winning division and fleet for the day, and the overall Championship to boot.  I got a quick tour of the Frers 51 from Tom Whidden afterwards.  Pretty cool stuff for a wide-eyed kid from smalltown Canada!

674540265_1982SORCMiamiNassau02.thumb.jpg.f609e104b625754aad69161a64668535.jpg

Cheers!

Fuckin hell thats an Austin princess parked on the dock ! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foamy1946 said:

OK...let's try this again..1623174238_Catalina1958No.1.thumb.jpg.c81e2e0e03a6e88461672f9eacef2c9b.jpg.

Son Moke seems aptly named.

IMG_0002.jpg

Think the ‘small red boat’ was the original Amazing Grace.  Owned by Don Herron out of Toronto area...  he then built the 45

2 hours ago, MKF said:

Think the ‘small red boat’ was the original Amazing Grace.  Owned by Don Herron out of Toronto area...  he then built the 45

Heya MKF,

The striping is definately similar, but the original Grace was a C&C 40-2.  This boat had a flush deck, triple spreader rig, and a decidedly un-C&C-like transom.  In comparison to the Milgrim 79 next to it, the boat appears larger than 40...

Cheers!

The red boat on the outside of Ondine in the first picture is likely Intuition. See further up the thread. The red maxi outboard of Kialoa and mostly obscured would be Sorcery. That would make it the 1984 SORC.  

1 hour ago, A3A said:

The red boat on the outside of Ondine in the first picture is likely Intuition. See further up the thread. The red maxi outboard of Kialoa and mostly obscured would be Sorcery. That would make it the 1984 SORC.  

Hi A3A,

You could be right - Intuition was that colour scheme and had those funky alloy athwhartships genoa car troughs that look to be covered with fitted canvas pieces in the photo from the bridge.  The maxi outboard of Kialoa in the second photo was Condor, the next boat out would've been Intuition (again), and the year was 1982 (the only time I've been to the Bahamas).

Cheers!

Good afternoon Willin...yeah Moke grew up to be a very good sailor, who has rung more seawater out of his socks than most sailors have sailed on.

BTW...he is one hell of an electronics wiz too.  Gotta remember, he was six or seven years old at the time the pic was taken...and could hike the island with the best of us.

2 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Hi A3A,

You could be right - Intuition was that colour scheme and had those funky alloy athwhartships genoa car troughs that look to be covered with fitted canvas pieces in the photo from the bridge.  The maxi outboard of Kialoa in the second photo was Condor, the next boat out would've been Intuition (again), and the year was 1982 (the only time I've been to the Bahamas).

Cheers!

Yeah, Condor would fit, she was more maroon and Sorcery was red. I sailed once on Condor for a sail check, but a lot on Sorcery when she was new. 

• Like 1