akhcheung

W/L racing - hanks OR tuff luff / harken carbo foil

Would appreciate any advice

Need to configure a X-41 for inshore racing. Mostly W/Ls. I don’t foresee any jib changes during races

(A) Hanks on forestay 

OR 

(B) boltrope in Tuff Luff or Harken Carbo Foil

Boltrope is my preference, no sharp edges to catch on kites

I’d vote B, looks faster, looks are important 

boltrope for inshore fully crewed is safer for spinnakers

We have a bunch of hanks in a pile in our garage.  They are HEAVY.  And each sail has to have a complete set of them.  This means HEAVY x 3 or 4, if you have a storm jib, working jib, #2 and #1.  Tuffluff by itself will be lighter than a set of hanks, plus none of the sails will need them.   

16 minutes ago, PaulK said:

We have a bunch of hanks in a pile in our garage.  They are HEAVY.  And each sail has to have a complete set of them.  This means HEAVY x 3 or 4, if you have a storm jib, working jib, #2 and #1.  Tuffluff by itself will be lighter than a set of hanks, plus none of the sails will need them.   

Under OSR you need hanks on your storm jib anyway. At least with hanks the weight is in the right place rather than halfway up the mast whether you have a headsail up or not.

1 hour ago, Snowden said:

Under OSR you need hanks on your storm jib anyway. At least with hanks the weight is in the right place rather than halfway up the mast whether you have a headsail up or not.

Not true, OSR requires an alternate method of attaching the sail to the forestay, but it doesn't require "hanks". Simple string ties are sufficient to meet the requirement. 

There are a variety of solutions, although some are a bit overkill for club racing. For example, the J Class headsails use Tylaska T5's on webbing loops (35 per sail) or a custom keyhole fastener. The VO65 uses KZ Carabiners on the sails set on the forestay. Back in the real world, webbing straps with plastic buckles work just fine and are relatively safe for kites. As long as the sail is attached to the forestay, the halyard drop can be really fast without fear of the sail going over the side. That and not requiring multiple crew on the bow is a big help round the cans.  

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Hanks go up and down faster.

A hanked sail isn't going over the side at the drop.

A sail with hard hanks can eat guys.

You can swap sails more quickly downwind with a foil.

Less relevant for windward/leeward;

If some donkey lets the pole onto the forestay a hanked sail won't go up or down...

You can peel more effectively with a foil.

On 4/7/2020 at 2:49 AM, European Bloke said:

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Hanks go up and down faster.

A hanked sail isn't going over the side at the drop.

A sail with hard hanks can eat guys.

You can swap sails more quickly downwind with a foil.

Less relevant for windward/leeward;

If some donkey lets the pole onto the forestay a hanked sail won't go up or down...

You can peel more effectively with a foil.

I recently switched both our boats to Hanks.  Yes tedious to setup and do changes. But that is ok. I have not seen any decrease in numbers on the B&Gs!   So for club racing, we are happy with the setup. 

9 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Foil, unless singlehanding.

If you want superflash, go GFoil, they're the bee's knees.

HW

Good lock getting hold of Gorilla Rigging, I tried for weeks to get hold of them to enquire about a gfoil but never got any replies!

13 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Good lock getting hold of Gorilla Rigging, I tried for weeks to get hold of them to enquire about a gfoil but never got any replies!

Maybe they are laying low during the lockdown? I just dealt with them on a new foil for a fast 40 and all went fast and well. 

With regards to the topic though, these are single grove foils so not really improving your in-line peels over hanks.

For the record I just bought a new harken carbo foil for my 30 foot sporty because of the obvious competitive advantage. Hanks work and are fairly reliable but they will overall slow you down around the racecourse for your average racer(J-class head-sails are something different)

2 hours ago, IanA. said:

Maybe they are laying low during the lockdown? I just dealt with them on a new foil for a fast 40 and all went fast and well. 

With regards to the topic though, these are single grove foils so not really improving your in-line peels over hanks.

For the record I just bought a new harken carbo foil for my 30 foot sporty because of the obvious competitive advantage. Hanks work and are fairly reliable but they will overall slow you down around the racecourse for your average racer(J-class head-sails are something different)

I have the bonus of being able to drive to the shop. They do now make a twin-groove extrusion, but there are some boats I know of that are bareheaded peeling jibs now instead of inline.

If you are using this with a pole-boat, make sure you purchase a spare bottom-insert. If you hit the insert with the pole, you will bend the tip of the insert which can tear the boltrope of the jib when dropping it.

HW

6 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

I have the bonus of being able to drive to the shop. They do now make a twin-groove extrusion, but there are some boats I know of that are bareheaded peeling jibs now instead of inline.

If you are using this with a pole-boat, make sure you purchase a spare bottom-insert. If you hit the insert with the pole, you will bend the tip of the insert which can tear the boltrope of the jib when dropping it.

HW

Huh. That's a new one. Sure it wasn't your stupid bowman? 

3 hours ago, markvannote said:

Huh. That's a new one. Sure it wasn't your stupid bowman? 

Nah, blame it on the trimmers

I do sell Harken.  So with regards to the their foil?  Make sure you make a sun cover.  They do not last in our sun here. Hate to say this, but Tuff Luff Foils tend to last longer here!  

On 5/1/2020 at 9:04 PM, George Hackett said:

I do sell Harken.  So with regards to the their foil?  Make sure you make a sun cover.  They do not last in our sun here. Hate to say this, but Tuff Luff Foils tend to last longer here!  

also, heed the warnings about spraying the carbo foil directly with mclube. ask me how I know :)

Go with hanks. The spendy boats will ignore you as some kind of rube and you can sneak up on them.