Kevlar Edge

8 Bells for Tony Esposito.

I heard that Tony Esposito sailed on yesterday. I had the pleasure of racing with Tony over the years, enjoying his jokes and especially his famous lunches. Tony was quite a character and not unlike John you really had to know him to really love him. He will be missed by many. Tony and his son John racked up quite record with their J29 Hustler.

5 time NA champion
6 time KWRW winner
12 time BIRW plus Storm Trysail race week most winningest boat winning 76% of its races
Multiple NOOD reagtta winner
Won every regatta entered at least once over 24 years
15 time YRALIS PHRF Champion

a record that will never been seen again. 
my prayers and condolences to the Esposito family. 

• Like 2

Storm Trysail race week most winningest boat winning 76% of its races

Wow - I've never heard of a record like that in any sport.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Tony told me many times he never liked you

You gotta be licke that Crisco?  Sorrey Petey.                       :)

Condolenses to the Expo clan.             :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Storm Trysail race week most winningest boat winning 76% of its races

Wow - I've never heard of a record like that in any sport.

Check the All Blacks record.  Sorry to hear about Tony. My losing record is quite high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unkle Krusty said:

Check the All Blacks record.  Sorry to hear about Tony. My losing record is quite high.

Yep, ABs win record in world-wide Rugby Union is higher than 85%. 

This is a sad loss for the Esposito family, team Hustler, and the sport of sailing. 

God bless you, Tony, and your family. 

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss John

• Like 1

I'm on the wrong coast to have known Tony. Sounds like he was enough of a character to warrant his own "hate" thread. I still can't tell if it was just good-natured ribbing or what. Anyway, that is an awesome race record, and it sounds like he had a lot of friends.  My condolences to his family, and all of you who knew him.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about this Espo and clan.  

• Like 1

Never knew the man personally, but he built a truly legendary program. My condolences to the Espo, and extended Hustler family. 

• Like 1

Knew the man, but not well enough. Loved the Meatloaf Sandwiches he'd bring down the dock in the mornings. Sorry for JE and his family.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 6:59 PM, Cristoforo said:

Godspeed Tony!

Yeah sure whatever, blowhard. I guess that’s why John asked me to post this. Putting false words in Tony’s mouth right now is rude and disrespectful. You should be ashamed of yourself. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Kevlar Edge said:
On 4/5/2020 at 6:59 PM, Cristoforo said:

Godspeed Tony!

Yeah sure whatever, blowhard. I guess that’s why John asked me to post this. Putting false words in Tony’s mouth right now is rude and disrespectful. You should be ashamed of yourself. 

Petey,

Plesae dointe minde Crisco, he is wrongue and he noes it. Leave hime to hisse owen shame.  Thisse threade ist forre Toney, lettes leave hime as the centralle theame.  In SA parlance....."Go the Toney!"

S.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cristoforo said:

Free the Toney! 

Thisse ist notte the time forre cavilearitey.   Plesae be respectfulle.

My heart goes out to John and his family. Losing the Patriarch of the family leaves a hole that is not easily filled. May his memories always live on...

:(

• Like 2

Sad news.  Tony was great and will be missed immensely.  Hopefully this virus gets under control soon so a proper celebration of his life can be organized.

Much love to John and the extended Espo family.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the condolences and kind words.

We had a great life together sailing up and down the east coast for over 40 years and successfully in 3 different boats until he was 82 and his doctor told him no more. 

He loved the J29 that he bought in 1991 to race only on Wednesday nights. LOL. Sold it to me when he retired in 1999, but never stopped loving to up grade it. 

He loved to be out on the water with me and the boyz, and loved to be physical on the boat whether trimming the main, tailing the jib, or chasing and hit me with a winch handle.

He will be missed by me and many.

SAIL ON DAD!

Fair winds!! 

• Like 15

Just now, jesposito said:

We had a great life together sailing up and down the east coast for over 40 years and successfully in 3 different boats until he was 82 and his doctor told him no more. 

He loved the J29 that he bought in 1991 to race only on Wednesday nights. LOL. Sold it to me when he retired in 1999, but never stopped loving to up grade it. 

He loved to be out on the water with me and the boyz, and loved to be physical on the boat whether trimming the main, tailing the jib, or chasing and hit me with a winch handle.

SAIL ON DAD!

Fair winds!! 

cool

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jesposito said:

SAIL ON DAD!

Fair winds!! 

I remember a very windy AYC fall series that your dad sailed with us one day. He hiked harder than anyone else on the boat in his 80's! 

• Like 3

Death is natural.  The spirit lives on.  The man exists in dreams, in consequences and the world he left us.

This was not a man I knew in any way.  It is obvious he was a force of nature.  God bless him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jesposito said:

SAIL ON DAD!

Fair winds!! 

Condolences John. Revel in the memories!

• Like 1

Condolences from the Sweetwater Seas . . 

we have also lost some great-souled sailors over the past several years 

PAX and Fair Winds 

• Like 2

Thank you AJ and Morrie