Sign in to follow this  
Kenny  Dumas

When elephants fight, mice get trampled

All the actions being taken against Corona will result in dramatic reductions in other infectious diseases. Measles, flu, STDs, will be very interesting after the dust settles. 

Take the premise one step further and deliberately stomp a few other bugs to open up resources. Malaria kills 400,000 per year. Seems like spending a little more on malaria would be a net gain overall. 

1 minute ago, Kenny Dumas said:

All the actions being taken against Corona will result in dramatic reductions in other infectious diseases. Measles, flu, STDs, will be very interesting after the dust settles. 

Take the premise one step further and deliberately stomp a few other bugs to open up resources. Malaria kills 400,000 per year. Seems like spending a little more on malaria would be a net gain overall. 

The numbers will be very interesting when this is under control.  

I've been wondering how even the common cold is doing. 

One thing for certain is the majority of the people on this planet have learned just how easy it is to spread disease and illness. 

It took a month of no school for me to realize just how many pathogens the kid was bringing home. Can't remember the last time I went without a cold or cough for this long since she started school.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

It took a month of no school for me to realize just how many pathogens the kid was bringing home. Can't remember the last time I went without a cold or cough for this long since she started school.

Keep an eye on your kids that may be "riding their bikes" in the neighborhood. At least in Myrtle Beach, they are meeting up and playing, with no regard for "distance", while their parents are doing the 2m shuffle. 

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

If the vaccination program ever gets underway globally - it’ll be nice to see global commitment to finish off polio while we’re at it. 

• Like 1

This will change a whole bunch of norms.

• Potential impacts
    • public behavior
      • wearing masks
      • giving larger interpersonal distances
      • limited occupancy
      • more active cleaning of public spaces
      • removing street wear/shoes more commonly
    • Architecture & public buildings
      • air showers, ionizers at entrances, in vestibules 
      • separation barriers and air curtains for cashiers etc 
      • UV tunnels for goods coming into buildings
      • whole building filtration and Germicidal sterilization of filters and evaporators coils 
      • No-touch doors and restrooms
        • filtered & UV bath hand dryers
      • Ozone fumigation during absences 
    • Ubiquitous sanitizers and wipes 
    • Public transport 
      • Diminished use ? 
      • interval sanitation (ozone cycle every recharge/refuel?)
      • increased seat pitch on airplanes? 
      • fever screening to board? 
      • autonomous cabs with isolation/sanitation replacing busses and trains 

21 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Keep an eye on your kids that may be "riding their bikes" in the neighborhood. At least in Myrtle Beach, they are meeting up and playing, with no regard for "distance", while their parents are doing the 2m shuffle. 

My neighbor is pissed at me because i won't let our kids play together. She is a nurse and her daughter was symptomatic until a few days ago, but unfortunately she isn't much of a reader.  Fuck her.

common sense isn't so common 

14 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

This will change a whole bunch of norms.

• Potential impacts
    • public behavior
      • wearing masks
      • giving larger interpersonal distances
      • limited occupancy
      • more active cleaning of public spaces
      • removing street wear/shoes more commonly
    • Architecture & public buildings
      • air showers, ionizers at entrances, in vestibules 
      • separation barriers and air curtains for cashiers etc 
      • UV tunnels for goods coming into buildings
      • whole building filtration and Germicidal sterilization of filters and evaporators coils 
      • No-touch doors and restrooms
        • filtered & UV bath hand dryers
      • Ozone fumigation during absences 
    • Ubiquitous sanitizers and wipes 
    • Public transport 
      • Diminished use ? 
      • interval sanitation (ozone cycle every recharge/refuel?)
      • increased seat pitch on airplanes? 
      • fever screening to board? 
      • autonomous cabs with isolation/sanitation replacing busses and trains 

Stricter control of what can be sold at live animal markets ?  And maybe some education around the correlation or lack of exotic animal parts don’t do for sex drive , arthritis , gall stones or whatever 

19 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Stricter control of what can be sold at live animal markets ?  And maybe some education around the correlation or lack of exotic animal parts don’t do for sex drive , arthritis , gall stones or whatever 

I'm thinking more of what will change in the Western world. 

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

t took a month of no school for me to realize just how many pathogens the kid was bringing home. Can't remember the last time I went without a cold or cough for this long since she started school.

Ahh yes. In my kid's elementary school we referred to the stair handrail as "the rail of death". Give 'em a cookie every time they come home and wash their hands. 

52 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

increased seat pitch on airplanes?

Ha. In all our dreams. 

50 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

I'm thinking more of what will change in the Western world. 

Most of the reports re wet markets is sensationalized nonsense anyway. 

The PRC has already banned the main risks, but it doesn’t address farms that use civets to make that poop coffee- how are you gonna regulate indoor outdoor cats that eat a sick bat and poops at home and infects their owner?

the strategy has to be realistic and multifaceted- not gonna get the CCP to become a transparent org anytime soon, just look at how quiet our resident CCP apologists get when shit gets real. 

So since you can’t rely on the gov of first instance to be informative and transparent? You need to listen to your intelligence staff in January, act quickly and robustly and not use your unqualified family and friends for ideas. 

2 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

The outbreak of the plague in Surat, India in 1994 is an interesting example. The outright panic outpaced the actual deaths by a long shot, especially when compared with deaths from curable diseases during the same period. From recollection(so anyone feel free to correct me), around 50 people ended up dying from the actual plague outbreak when, during the same year long period around 4-500,000 people(across India) died of curable diseases like typhoid. During the panic, India lost trading partners, flights were banned etc. The approximate damage number I recall was something around a 20% loss in GDP over a year long period of the scare. 

The city of Surat, for its part, turned its act around, went on a cleanliness binge, and as a result, other diseases (mosquito borne etc.), went way down.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/06/how-surat-became-indias-public-health-leaderand-stayed-that-way/395003/