Sign in to follow this  
MRS OCTOPUS

Ventilators are a WAFTAM??

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Quote where I said risk doesn't go up outside SAR capability? If not fuck off.

Too easy... Post #81, where you said....

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Distance offshore has fuck all to do with risk.

13 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

Too easy... Post #81, where you said....

"Distance offshore has fuck all to do with risk."

You really are a weasel....the balance of the paragraph of post #81 not to your liking if not entire post.

"Distance offshore has fuck all to do with risk. It is the conditions attached to the race track. Irish Sea and Bass Strait rank two of the worst middle of summer 600 miler Cat 1/2 nrace tracks in the world. Middle Sea Race probably ahead of the Fasnet."

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

So the two races (S2H and Fasnet) within helicopter range that managed to kill a total of 25 souls in one edition of each.

What is the total deaths from one edition of all those other races you mention?

Distance offshore has fuck all to do with risk. It is the conditions attached to the race track. Irish Sea and Bass Strait rank two of the worst middle of summer 600 miler Cat 1/2 nrace tracks in the world. Middle Sea Race probably ahead of the Fasnet.

Speak to people who regularly do them if you don't believe that.

Unfortunately I spent hours in my father's aircraft rescue raft as a kid and loved it. This was probably not the right feeling about rafts. But Steven Callahan's book set me straight.

^^^ Nice Meme Starboard..you pulled out all stops there.

Actually I really love helicopter advice about offshore and ocean racing safety.

Particularly from someone who has done neither.. but seen someone have have a heart attack on a powerboat and so SAR capability should be at the front of mine and anyone elses mind who partakes in such...fuck skipper responsibility..stay close to land and just ring up 999.

Would be lost without you Starboard.

2 hours ago, Starboard!! said:

Have you seen some of the old geezers on race boats? I've seen at least one person die from heart attack on the water (on a powerboat)...

Actually word from the wise...if you're getting likeys from Octupussy...a reach-around is definitely coming your way.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Actually word from the wise...if you're getting likeys from Octupussy...a reach-around is coming your way.

Which of those raft characters do you imagine yourself as. I picked it especially for you, since you so enjoy your homoerotic comments.

Well that has got to be a first.

Congratulations STARBOARD, looks like you have outlasted SPARROW TWIT.

Well done.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Bye.

2 hours ago, Starboard!! said:

You can have frequently rough sea/wind states or long distances offshore. But not both, for amateur racing. That's my point. 

The only people who do long distance in consistently bad weather are pros on purpose-built boats.

:wacko::huh:??

6 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Well that has got to be a first.

Congratulations STARBOARD, looks like you have outlasted SPARROW TWIT.

Well done.

Right on Q. 8 Cunts shouldn't you be off preaching your it's only the flu and old people die anyway shit?

By the way, Coronavirus is fucking up all those climate alarmists predictions of gloom and doom. If we keep up this clampdown long enugh it might just start snowing in June.

24 minutes ago, mad said:

:wacko::huh:??

I meant that that for popular races, most the ones very far from shore have (usually) somewhat more benign conditions. Exceptions always of course, but take the Transpac for example... it's plausible enough that you never tack once after the start, that they have to write it in the rules that you're boat's balance can't favor one side! 

The consistently rougher weather races are often close enough that timely rescue is possible.

The Vendee and VOR are way offshore & in the worst conditions, but those completely different in terms of boat & crew caliber. No comparison to the mostly amateur crews and racer/cruisers that dominate the other races.

18 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

I meant that that for popular races, most the ones very far from shore have (usually) somewhat more benign conditions. Exceptions always of course, but take the Transpac for example... it's plausible enough that you never tack once after the start, that they have to write it in the rules that you're boat's balance can't favor one side! 

The consistently rougher weather races are often close enough that timely rescue is possible.

The Vendee and VOR are way offshore & in the worst conditions, but those completely different in terms of boat & crew caliber. No comparison to the mostly amateur crews and racer/cruisers that dominate the other races.

To the point: the Bermuda races are never in hte winter or during Hurriane seasone....but in early summer....before Hurricane season...a narrow window of time with the lowest probability of severe weather.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

Vic - Maui?

Melbourne - Osaka?

The Clipper Race? 

When did an amateur crew in a racer cruiser last ‘Dominate’ in the S2H, Fastnet, MSR, N2B or any other coastal race? You should catch the bus to the finish of one of these races and see for yourself. You could even buy a T-shirt and pretend you have done one. 

I have noticed that this virus closing the schools has caused a lot of ignorant children to start posting on here.

36 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Vic - Maui?

Melbourne - Osaka?

The Clipper Race? 

When did an amateur crew in a racer cruiser last ‘Dominate’ in the S2H, Fastnet, MSR, N2B or any other coastal race? You should catch the bus to the finish of one of these races and see for yourself. You could even buy a T-shirt and pretend you have done one. 

I have noticed that this virus closing the schools has caused a lot of ignorant children to start posting on here.

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by "dominate" -- I'm referring to participants, not finish times. Sure the ex VOR boats or Rambler with its pro crews dominate the wins*, but I'd wager the vast majority of boats are mostly amateurs.  Take the A2N race this year (cancelled) for example. At least 150 of the approx 200 entries are amateur boats, some with a few pros but that's it. 

The pro racing is interesting to watch, but the most popular offshore races are amateur driven. See for yourself:  https://bermudarace.com/entry-information/entry-list/

* but not necessarily on corrected time

8 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

Vic - Maui?

Melbourne - Osaka?

The Clipper Race? 

None of these super long-distance offshore races are all that popular, compared the near-coastal offshore ones.   Just look at the participation compared to A2N or Fastnet that have to turn away competitors:

Vic - Maui: 9 participants in 2018

Melbourne - Osaka race: 19 participants in 2018

Clipper Race: 11 participants

27 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

None of these super long-distance offshore races are all that popular, compared the near-coastal offshore ones.   Just look at the participation compared to A2N or Fastnet that have to turn away competitors:

Vic - Maui: 9 participants in 2018

Melbourne - Osaka race: 19 participants in 2018

Clipper Race: 11 participants

I wonder why that is? Surly if people can spare a week of their Xmas holidays to do the S2H they can take 4- 5 months off to do these longer races and then deliver the boat home. Are you bored and trolling or do you just like showcasing your ignorance and stupidity?

37 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by "dominate" -- I'm referring to participants, not finish times. Sure the ex VOR boats or Rambler with its pro crews dominate the wins*, but I'd wager the vast majority of boats are mostly amateurs.  Take the A2N race this year (cancelled) for example. At least 150 of the approx 200 entries are amateur boats, some with a few pros but that's it. 

The pro racing is interesting to watch, but the most popular offshore races are amateur driven. See for yourself:  https://bermudarace.com/entry-information/entry-list/

* but not necessarily on corrected time

I am not misunderstanding anything. You wrote bullshit and I pointed out that you are a stupid, ignorant cunt. What is there to misunderstand? 

4 hours ago, mad said:

Bust 3 of mine, 2 in two places (front and back) wrapping myself round a tree mountain biking in November last year,  only just reached the stage where I don’t notice it anymore. 

Strangely enough, I ended up being more comfortable lying on them than any other position!!  Anybody explain that one to me?  (Guessing that was the way the ends fitted back together) I’d love to know the answer.  

I had to Keep pushing mine back into place. They would hurt and I would take a deep breath and squeeze my obliques and the bones would snap back and the pain would instantly go away. 

But let’s get back into the great interaction between the reigning champ and the newcomer, Starboard. I have to figure out how much I incur risk from an SAR helicopter rescue when I leave Mom’s basement

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Hang in there Buddy, the curve has a long way to go before it flattens on these kids.

• Like 1