Sign in to follow this  
bhyde

California CARB Law

Has anyone in here bought an out-of-state ATV or off-road vehicle that is NOT CARB certified and managed to bring it into California legally? 

Is it legal for a person in California (me) to buy a Non-CARB vehicle from an out-of-state third party (them, Nevada)?

The DMV website is useless.

1 hour ago, bhyde said:

Has anyone in here bought an out-of-state ATV or off-road vehicle that is NOT CARB certified and managed to bring it into California legally? 

Is it legal for a person in California (me) to buy a Non-CARB vehicle from an out-of-state third party (them, Nevada)?

It shouldn't be too hard to make it CARB Legal if it isn't.  Can't imagine someone like Honda, Polaris, etc... not selling a non 50 state-compliant vehicle.  No one says you can't buy it, but if you want to use it on the State OHRV parks, you'll need the sticker.   Back in my days, it was the Green Sticker...  all that was required was a spark arrester.

But then again you're dealing with California Air Resources Board... one of the only government agencies that has no oversight on how their money is spent, and where the head of the agency in not elected but appointed.  I have done battle with these fuckwhits and commonsense is not a strong suit with them. 

I do know that there is a grandfather clause that allows vehicles that are 25 years or older to not be in compliance.

What are you looking at?

30 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Might be easier to move away from California.

I am writing my new novel - The Wrath of Grapes  :P

17 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

It shouldn't be too hard to make it CARB Legal if it isn't.  Can't imagine someone like Honda, Polaris, etc... not selling a non 50 state-compliant vehicle.  No one says you can't buy it, but if you want to use it on the State OHRV parks, you'll need the sticker.   Back in my days, it was the Green Sticker...  all that was required was a spark arrester.

But then again you're dealing with California Air Resources Board... one of the only government agencies that has no oversight on how their money is spent, and where the head of the agency in not elected but appointed.  I have done battle with these fuckwhits and commonsense is not a strong suit with them. 

I do know that there is a grandfather clause that allows vehicles that are 25 years or older to not be in compliance.

What are you looking at?

It's a used Argo. It will spend the rest of its life pushing snow around private property (it comes with a plow). Other than being transported on a trailer, it will never see a public road or OHV park. The dealer in mid-west tells me he cannot legally ship or sell it to a California resident. He could, however, ship/sell it to someone in, say, Nevada. 

image.thumb.png.b106bb912825d2e665835d1a1c4428c0.png

Dude, I don't know the answer to your question but I'm laughing here.

3 hours ago, bhyde said:

Add 1 number to your neighbors carb legal ATV to your online registeation application and  see where it goes:ph34r:

Disclaimer- I have 3 ATV, my brother 4, not a DNR sticker between us.The only time we leave private property is when we are on a frozen river.  Legitimately we could question whether we need an ATV or Watercraft registration.:lol:

10 minutes ago, Merrill Levi said:

The ATV laws in California do not apply on private property.  The laws apply only on lands accessible to the public.
source: https://atvman.com/california/

I use to have to register my MX bikes regardless.  Some of the tracks (Hollister being one) were on state land, and even though these were closed track competition events I still needed the Green Sticker.  Loved that track.

Right down the road from there was a guy that rebuilt Rolls Royce Merline Engines.  I would just go hang out there a trip out on stuff, of course, I always came with 6 pack in hand :D 

1 hour ago, bhyde said:

It's a used Argo. It will spend the rest of its life pushing snow around private property (it comes with a plow). Other than being transported on a trailer, it will never see a public road or OHV park. The dealer in mid-west tells me he cannot legally ship or sell it to a California resident. He could, however, ship/sell it to someone in, say, Nevada. 

There shouldn't even be an issue.  Go get  and register it in Nevada.

37 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Like the fool on the hill.  :lol:

27 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Raz'r : "Hey, Bhyde what's for breakfast?"

Bhyde: "Makin' some eggs benedict with a side of hash browns and some fresh fruit. How's that sound?"

Raz'r "That sounds great. How long 'till we eat?"

Bhyde "Right after you dig the truck out and we go get the stuff."

truckSnow.thumb.jpg.0e51a3c1a8448d11dd55b70eaee6ef1a.jpg

BTW: That was April 4th. Yeah, two weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Like the fool on the hill.

Oh, a slam!  You'd get the joke if you knew bhyde.

1 minute ago, bhyde said:

Bhyde: "Makin' some eggs benedict with a side of hash browns and some fresh fruit. How's that sound?"

Raz'r: "bhyde. That bump was a little jarring, did you hit something expensive"

bhyde: "Damnit - I think that was the Weta!" (or A-Cat, or Mercedes, or pick-your-expensive toy)

Why would you need to register it if you’re only going to be pushing snow around your property.

All joking aside, forget the blade. That's only good when you have somewhere to push it. You need the big blower!

17 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Oh, a slam!  You'd get the joke if you knew bhyde.

Lighten up Francis

4 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Lighten up Francis

I'm still laughing.

Tahoe?

That Argo may not be all you hope. I have moved a lot of snow and the trick is converting horsepower to traction. A You dont have much horsepower, Briggs or Kohler up to 32 hp according to Argo website . B. Snow piled in front of a plow adds up weight wise rather quickly. C. Any vehicle designed to float is not going to be built tough enough for prolonged "work" use and will be too light weight to get traction.

If you are going for "the only one in the neighborhood cache" , have at it.  Otherwise look to the midwest for amswers.  4wd ATVs with chains amd a plow. Skid steer loader, track or tire and chains with a bucket, a plow or a hydraulic snowblower.  A small 4wd utility tractor with bucket , plow or hydraulic snowblower. A 4wd P/U with a plow (HD cooling and Transmission required). All of these have 4 season uses. 

13 minutes ago, warbird said:

That Argo may not be all you hope. I have moved a lot of snow and the trick is converting horsepower to traction. A You dont have much horsepower, Briggs or Kohler up to 32 hp according to Argo website . B. Snow piled in front of a plow adds up weight wise rather quickly. C. Any vehicle designed to float is not going to be built tough enough for prolonged "work" use and will be too light weight to get traction.

If you are going for "the only one in the neighborhood cache" , have at it.  Otherwise look to the midwest for amswers.  4wd ATVs with chains amd a plow. Skid steer loader, track or tire and chains with a bucket, a plow or a hydraulic snowblower.  A small 4wd utility tractor with bucket , plow or hydraulic snowblower. A 4wd P/U with a plow (HD cooling and Transmission required). All of these have 4 season uses. 

I would think snowblower unless you have a place to push the snow. 

Thinking back on my Mn days, you run out of traction pushing a plow fast if there's nowhere for the snow to go.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

Otherwise look to the midwest for amswers.  4wd ATVs with chains amd a plow. Skid steer loader, track or tire and chains with a bucket, a plow or a hydraulic snowblower.  A small 4wd utility tractor with bucket , plow or hydraulic snowblower. A 4wd P/U with a plow (HD cooling and Transmission required). All of these have 4 season uses. 

A skid loader on tracks, with a blower on it, is pretty awesome for close quarters snow removal.  I'm kicking around getting one for the shop.  Plan on spending close to $100k though if going new.

I agree that Argo is going to be useless pushing much snow.

9 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

A skid loader on tracks, with a blower on it, is pretty awesome for close quarters snow removal.  I'm kicking around getting one for the shop.  Plan on spending close to $100k though if going new.

I agree that Argo is going to be useless pushing much snow.

Are the tracks worth a damn for pushing traction im snow? A snowblower doesn't need much push, a plow or bucket does.

19 hours ago, bhyde said:

Glad I live where we don't get that shit in April.

20 hours ago, bhyde said:

You can ship it to me and come pick it up.  I only charge a 10% commission.  :D

1 hour ago, Desert Racer said:

Test driving free of charge  :)

I grew up a bit NW of Syracuse NY..so I guess you could say I know a bit about snow.....and I can tell you that you will need a blower attachment on that to make it work well in the conditions shown in your pic....

You can title it here in ca.they will issue a green sticker most likely.

The trick with dmv is they don't know anything that you don't tell them.

Perhaps AAA?

Or a buddy with a PO box in AZ, a great state where they will put a plate on anything that moves?

Either way, buy it!! Its cool AF.

8 minutes ago, Coolerking said:

You can title it here in ca.they will issue a green sticker most likely.

The trick with dmv is they don't know anything that you don't tell them.

The idiots at the DMV don't have to know anything... once they put in the serial number the computer, it will tell them what to do. Yeah, some serious Big Brother shit going on there.

I live where it's flat and 40F is cold.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, nacradriver said:

The idiots at the DMV don't have to know anything... once they put in the serial number the computer, it will tell them what to do. Yeah, some serious Big Brother shit going on there.

You mean like if the 7th digit in your vin is a #3 or a "C"?

Yea, been there done that many times amigo.

How many street legal dirt bikes do you have?

DMV is closed....buy it and let it fly....

On 4/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, Dorado said:
On 4/14/2020 at 12:25 PM, Desert Racer said:

Test driving free of charge  :)

Zactly!  It would only be honorable to do so to make sure there were no issues after shipping.