Sign in to follow this  
Sneaky Duck

How far do people travel to club race?

I've always had my yacht club within 15 minutes of my house, but this year I joined another one (because of the fleet) 50 minutes from my house.  The other boat I really want to race is 2 hours away.  Kind of got me wondering, how far do others travel to race?  And would you consider driving 2 hours each way for club racing?

the lake I usually sail from is about 25 minutes away, and i regularly do club racing on weekends 2 hours away. but, i have family in that city so it's not usually there and back in the same day.

For me, with young kids and family, I can't really see much more than an hour commute for a weekly (here is it biweekly) club race.  Local dinghy races are about 25 minutes from my home and the bigger lakes where cruisers race is just over an hour.

I travel over 3 hours 1 way or 187 miles.  Make a weekend of it frequently.  Or I did before everything shut down....

10 hours ago, Sneaky Duck said:

I've always had my yacht club within 15 minutes of my house, but this year I joined another one (because of the fleet) 50 minutes from my house.  The other boat I really want to race is 2 hours away.  Kind of got me wondering, how far do others travel to race?  And would you consider driving 2 hours each way for club racing?

Here, the national body talks about "destination clubs", which are sailing clubs that people tend to go to for the weekend, rather than for the evening or afternoon. Usually in relatively remote locations for obvious reasons.

Some coastal clubs have a category for those who live too far away to make regular use of the facilities: "out port" membership. 

So, I guess it depends what you mean by club racing... evenings or weekends... The weekend thing works well if lots of folk are doing the same sort of thing.

Cheers,

W.

I drive about one hour EACH way to my sailing club. Yes, I complain about the drive. Frequently I spend less than two hour drive time actually on the water ( away from the dock ). My choice is simple: put up with the drive or stop sailing. I have been making the drive regularly for OVER 35 YEARS. You can see the value I place on sailing.

• Like 4

When my sailing commute went from <10 minutes to >1 hour, the amount of sailing I did dropped dramatically.

I would spontaneously drop by the club on the weekend and would wind up sailing on someone else's boat, going out to eat, etc.  After moving, I only went to the club when there was a schedule event.

• Like 2

I drive about 45 mins to get to my club, but I share the drive with my brother & nephew so isn't to bad.

I have clubs nearer to home but they are small lakes or resevoirs  & I prefer to sail on the more interesting tidal estuary where my club is based.

Home club 10 minutes from my house

School club 30 minutes from my apartment

Race most often 30-45 minutes away on Lake St. Stupid

Some get frequent flier miles 

It’s downhill so it only takes 5 minutes to get there on my bicycle.  

• Like 1

I'm very fortunate to have our local club 5 minutes from my house (20 from work).   We have another club (which I go to one evening a week for Laser racing) 30 minutes from my house (or 15 from work).   We have several sailors that drive an hour each way for weeknight racing, and a few that are driving 90 minutes.   We also have several members who are principally weekend sailors that drive 3 hours each way, but most of them stay on their boat for the weekend when they are here.

If I start listening to a song on the radio as I leave home, I often have to sit in the car at the club to hear the end of the song :P

The club that I am a member of is about 8 hours drive away... I don’t sail there very often

club 1 mile,  when I joined. 

Then I moved,  I returned for the annual regatta week,  and about every 3 months for events 663 miles each way including a 6 to 9 hour ferry journey  travel time about 18hours.

Then I moved, about 305 miles about 6 hours travel time. Monthly to the club 

Then I moved,   123 miles about 2.5 hours travelling  time,  monthly to the club + special  events 

Then I moved, 4050 miles about 12hours travelling time,  only twice a year. 

Currently 10miles to the club,  normally every Sunday all year round, plus regatta week and other special events.

The furthest distance anyone in the club book is 520 miles away 9 hour journey at the moment. 

We have a club member who returns to live in Norfolk each summer for the racing from Florida 4500 miles.  In the past he used to return for special events from Hong Kong 5800 miles. 

At most areas I also joined a local club,  their distance being between 5 and 40 miles.

• Like 1

Local club is a bike ride away, In the winter I drive 3 hours each way for a laser frostbite series. It's really the only option for me that time of year if I want to race competitively 

600 yards to The club gate and maybe another hundred to the boats .

My office  is a hundred feet closer to the club. 
when I was a teenager it was 26 mikes on my one speed 26” Schwinn.

when I was five to 12 it was about a mile.

My club is about 10 miles from my house . The nearest is only about 6 miles away but it’s a soulless big  place so it holds no attraction . Luckily it my little club ever does close there are loads of other clubs within a 20 miles radius . 

The 4 clubs I sail from very regularly are, 15, 20, 25 and 25 minutes away, the 20 minute one I sail from most.

I do sail from a couple places about 45 and 55 minutes away but won't commit to doing the trip once or twice a week.

I sail out of a small club on a tiny lake in South Hessen Germany. I live about 50km away, 
It's a bit different to San Diego where I am from.  

We have 3 club races a year which we don't take too seriously. plus each of the active classes Opti, Finn and Laser have a yearly regatta and a yearly Cat Yardstick regatta. For us Finn's there are within  say 150km radius probably 10 regattas a year on other small lakes. It's  probably about the same for Lasers, Optis, A-Cats, maybe Corsairs and 470s. 

There are some bigger lakes like lake Constance a bit further away so we go there for regattas now and then.
Generally try to do a couple of bigger events a year like  Masters Worlds ( I've done the Masters in the Netherlands, Poland, Spain) German Nationals, Swiss, Dutch, Austrian Nationals...
I like sailing in the Netherlands and try to get there once or twice a year.

Biblis.jpg

Winter sailing at Grafham Water, it's 85 miles away and takes about 1 hour 15 mins in SWMBO's Alfa, and about 1.40 in my Landrover.   Boat stuck there as the whole site is closed for the foreseeable.   Big boat, major refit project is less than a mile away by bicycle.