Ed Lada

Phantom of the Opera free performance until Sunday at 2 p.m. EST

There is an incredible video of the 2006 25th anniversary production of Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

It available free until 2 p.m. EST Sunday for people to enjoy while they are stuck at home.

It's difficult to capture a live theater performance on video but thanks to modern technology, this one is incredible.  

The power of theater is what led me to spend many years in various theaters and get a BA in technical theater when I went to college.  

This production of Phantom is mind blowing, the voices are incredible, the orchestra outstanding and the set is mind blowing.  

It is well worth spending the 2 1/2 hours watching it, and there is a special treat at the end of the performance.

Watch it if you can, you won't be sorry.

Gosh Ed, pretty sure that’s been available for some time on you tube. I know I’ve seen it before if it’s the one where all the Valjeans come on stage together for a final song?

I think Ed is talking about an actual performance of the musical. The one you are referring to is a 25th anniversary concert. Andrew Lloyd Weber is making one of his musicals per week available for free viewing, since he has more money than God I imagine.

3 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I think Ed is talking about an actual performance of the musical. The one you are referring to is a 25th anniversary concert. Andrew Lloyd Weber is making one of his musicals per week available for free viewing, since he has more money than God I imagine.

To respond to my own post, the concert I was referring to is the 25th anniversary of Les Mis (Valjean), not Phantom.

Thanks Bluto, in my excitement I forgot to post the link.

• Like 1

I attended the original production in London during a visit prior the the Fireball Worlds 1998? Spent a great couple of weeks traveling around England on a Brit Rail pass and seeing the sights in London. A couple that I helped with delivering and managing their boat offered their London apartment as a home base. Different times then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

Gosh Ed, pretty sure that’s been available for some time on you tube. I know I’ve seen it before if it’s the one where all the Valjeans come on stage together for a final song?

You can find video of the concert, each song as a separate video on Andrew Lloyd Webber's YouTube channel but if you want to watch the entire production without interruption, you can watch it free as above, buy it on YouTube or get it from Amazon, or watch it on Netflix.  It's $15.00 to download it from Amazon, which is actually pretty reasonable.  Or they offer Blu Ray and DVD versions there as well.

Yes, after the performance, they had 4 prior Phantoms (not Jean Valjeans from Le Miserables) including the best one in most people's opinion, Michael Crawford,  come out and sing with the cast from this production, as well as Webber's former wife (his 2nd one), the notable soprano Sarah Brightman.  Webber wrote the part of Christine in Phantom for Brightman, they were married at the time.  Webber is on his 3rd wife now.

While Andrew Lloyd Webber is famous for many musical productions beginning with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, then Jesus Christ SuperstarStarlight Express and Cats to name a few of his musical productions, he had nothing to do with Le Miserables.

I spent a lot of time in many different theaters, I love live theater and this video is the best video of a live theater performance I have ever seen.  They did a hell of a job.  I can't imagine what it cost to mount the production except it had to be in the millions.  I just looked it up, they only had 3 performances.  I imagine the tickets weren't cheap but I'm sure they planned on making the real money from the video, which they put together from all 3 of the performances.  They did live stream the last performance when it played in 2011. 

6 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Webber is worth $1.2 billion, so he isn't hurting.

Saw Phantom and les Miserables in the West End in 1994, great memories. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Saw Phantom and les Miserables in the West End in 1994, great memories. 

I saw Phantom in Warsaw's version of Broadway/West End in 2007, it was very well done.  

I have seen Cats and a revival of West Side Story on Broadway in NYC.  West Side Story is one of my favorite shows ever but then again I also am a sucker for Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet (I thought Baz Luhrman's film was excellent, the best modern adaptation ever done).  Cats was kind of meh, although the cast was very talented.  We had front row center seats and when Grizabella came to the front of the stage, about 4 feet away and sang Memory, that was quite a moment.

• Like 1

Just watched this Phantom, a tremendous production. I was going to see Les Mis in Toronto in June but that is canned. My two favourite musicals are Les Mis and West Side Story. Spielberg started a new film of WSS a few years ago but he is taking his time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

To respond to my own post, the concert I was referring to is the 25th anniversary of Les Mis (Valjean), not Phantom.

My bad.....read it wrong!