Panoramix

Tit free videos of people sailing boats in cold places.

Being in lockdown with just girls, I find myself attracted to videos of blokes sailing boats in cold areas...

Or in areas that are event wet to Breton standards :

• Like 1

What's wrong with some Great Tits?

GreatTits.jpg

• Like 5

I don't get the guy-cold weather fetish thing. Shrinkage et al.

6 hours ago, chester said:

Worst thread title ever

Thank you for the compliment.

Yesterday evening I felt like an anarchist so decided to break unwritten rules.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Your fireman calendars getting frayed? 

Not that I know. May be I should know better!

• Like 1

range-tufted-titmouse-portion-half.jpg

A Titmouse. As in Arthur Ransome's Coot Club. 

Re the thread: There is always Erik, of course, the crazy Viking :) 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, cyclone said:

Thanks for this, it hadn't come across my you Tube stream.

There are the videos of this Boreal which went to Antarctica like we go to Ireland for a pint of Guiness.

It is all in French but I imagine that you can grasp the story from the auto-translated subtitles.

18 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Some more :

Is that granny on the ice floe?

I’m quarantined away from my wife and girls with 2 guys and a boat at the dock I can sail in the cold or rain anytime. I wanna see tits!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Is that granny on the ice floe?

Man-bun dreadlocks, but don't hold that against him.  It's an interesting niche: off-piste skiing and sailing. How many do that? 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 6:31 PM, Panoramix said:

Some more :

Got a little frost buildup on his sup!

- Stumbling 

• Like 1

Beautiful landscapes on this one from sir Ersnt :

17 hours ago, Elegua said:

Man-bun dreadlocks, but don't hold that against him.  It's an interesting niche: off-piste skiing and sailing. How many do that? 

The Alpine Club of Canada used to offer paying ski trips like that in Iceland (in conjunction with someone who charters out their sailboat there.) Sail to glacier edge, land, skin/climb up, ski down.  Seems like a fair number of opportunities for that in various places in the world.  Just gotta get there... :-).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Beautiful landscapes on this one from sir Ersnt :

So this raises some important anchoring issues – how come @Panope's excellent anchor geekdome thread never covered the appropriate choice for secure holding on/in ice?

What scope do you use when you are setting your anchor three feet above the sea level?

2 minutes ago, Opus the cat said:

What is the best anchor for it too!!

I'll get my coat.

Opus was the penguin.   Bill was the cat.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

So this raises some important anchoring issues – how come @Panope's excellent anchor geekdome thread never covered the appropriate choice for secure holding on/in ice?

What scope do you use when you are setting your anchor three feet above the sea level?

That will be a negative scope!!! :o

44 minutes ago, Opus the cat said:

What is the best anchor for it too!!

I'll get my coat.

lock-jaw.jpg3875626.jpg

11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The Alpine Club of Canada used to offer paying ski trips like that in Iceland (in conjunction with someone who charters out their sailboat there.) Sail to glacier edge, land, skin/climb up, ski down.  Seems like a fair number of opportunities for that in various places in the world.  Just gotta get there... :-).

Wait, are you saying that people do cool things and aren't on YouTube? :blink:   

Ice screws for ice are pretty strong (but sea ice, unless multi-year sea ice isn't strong like fresh water ice)

490119_turboicescrew_web.jpg?sw=600

For land, the people sailing in Patagonia like s.s. or galvanized wire strops to go around boulders to take the chafe. Then attach your shore line to the strop with a shackle.

6 hours ago, KC375 said:

I'd do that test - if the water would freeze.

Old timers have spoke of driving cars on iced over parts of the Salish sea.  I always assumed they were full of shit, but there is this video from 1950:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Panope said:

Old timers have spoke of driving cars on iced over parts of the Salish sea.  I always assumed they were full of shit, but there is this video from 1950:

Well on the other coast some claim Halifax to be the largest ice free harbour. It isn’t. It isn’t even always ice Free – but is most years.

My dad used to tell the story of skating on the harbour (probably Bedford Basin) and loosing his hockey puck that he shot ahead and then realized that was the open channel for the ferry just ahead...

I’ve never seen it Frozen in any of my winter visits to Halifax.

M2006.2+Cunard+painting+med+res.jpg

Halifax harbor hasn't frozen in my lifetime (54 yrs).  The basin - the remote ends of it do (drags the fucking moorings all over the place) but the main part is ice free. 

51 minutes ago, Panope said:

Makes me want a Hot Toddy at the Tide's Tavern.

On 4/22/2020 at 2:25 AM, cyclone said:

The whole teleport series is just fantastic, one of my all time fave youtube sailing series ever

But my all time fave is this unfinished one from a young lad in the uk, sailing a 21ft corribee round britain. Ultimately, he runs out of cash, but it's very honest and surprisingly well edited in terms of story and human interest.

Does the north sea count as cold enough?

• Like 1

The Teleport people got off their boat and quit sailing which was such a shame because they did great work.  It always amazed me how nonchalant she was about the whole arctic business.  In one episode she decided to go for a walk and casually picked up her rifle with the same attitude that us normal folk pick up the shopping bag.

12 hours ago, steveyates said:

But my all time fave is this unfinished one from a young lad in the uk, sailing a 21ft corribee round britain. Ultimately, he runs out of cash, but it's very honest and surprisingly well edited in terms of story and human interest.

Does the north sea count as cold enough?

Even if not in the thread title, small boats get you extra points...

• Like 2

More Southern ocean footage :

On 4/28/2020 at 10:34 AM, Zonker said:

For land, the people sailing in Patagonia like s.s. or galvanized wire strops to go around boulders to take the chafe. Then attach your shore line to the strop with a shackle.

That is actually a bit of bollocks promulgated by Skip Novak to help upsell his expeditions... most anchorages don't have boulders ... you tie to trees with  long bowlines ...and I have never seen a yacht using wire strops in Patagonia  except in one of Novak's promotional videos...... nor have I ever had an issue with chafe and my shore lines are 16 years old.

And tits do have a place even when sailing in high latitudes ..... how else do you get your Carmenere up to operating temperature??

DSC_1829.JPG.jpg

• Like 1

Here in BC where I live, I've often used big boulders for stern ties. And I do worry about chafe of a rope around them, even in a mild night. Lots of barnacles and sharp rocks on the foreshore. We do try to avoid tying to trees to avoid damaging the bark. Here's a BC anchorage. Tidal range (peak) around 5m. So you can imagine a shore line dragging over the rocks and thinking something chafe resistant would be good.

1920px-Smuggler_Cove_Marine_Provincial_P

I hardly think Skip needs to promote the ruggedness of his trips using wire strops. If it works for him, great.

Though I think him insisting on a non-sheltered outside steering position is nuts. OF COURSE it's cold and windy. You don't need to stand outside to feel that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

Here in BC where I live, I've often used big boulders for stern ties. And I do worry about chafe of a rope around them, even in a mild night. Lots of barnacles and sharp rocks on the foreshore. We do try to avoid tying to trees to avoid damaging the bark. Here's a BC anchorage. Tidal range (peak) around 5m. So you can imagine a shore line dragging over the rocks and thinking something chafe resistant would be good.

I hardly think Skip needs to promote the ruggedness of his trips using wire strops. If it works for him, great.

Though I think him insisting on a non-sheltered outside steering position is nuts. OF COURSE it's cold and windy. You don't need to stand outside to feel that.

Quite different looking terrain to Patagonia. Big tides in the north... up towards Montt ... but you rarely run shore lines north of Bahia Anna Pink.

In the south the tidal range is normally less than 2 metres and the trees come to the water's edge... boulders are rare.

A bowline around a tree is going to be far kinder on the tree than a wire strop..... and being static there should be no chafe.

Random  but typical anchorages south of 50º South......

P1020397.JPG.jpg

DSC_2070.JPG.jpg

DSC_0485.JPG (1).jpg

P1010499.jpg

• Like 1

A bit of carpet or similar between the shoreline and the tree's bark is a nice touch.

10 hours ago, Zonker said:

Smuggler Cove?

On 4/27/2020 at 5:03 PM, Elegua said:

Wait, are you saying that people do cool things and aren't on YouTube? :blink:   

Indeed - the cool people are very consciously *not* showing off on YouTube :-)

Catamaran-based backcountry ski trips in Kamchatka (Russian Far East peninsula).  On my bucket list! (Though it’d be cool to do it from my own boat.). Pretty interesting trip: https://expeditionengineering.com/skiing/kamchatka-ski-sailing-expedition/

On 4/27/2020 at 6:22 PM, Panope said:

In '78 I walked out on the Columbia River.  They don't make winters like they used to.

On 5/1/2020 at 5:37 PM, Autonomous said:

A bit of carpet or similar between the shoreline and the tree's bark is a nice touch.

I had about 4 or 5 safety harnesses from the construction company I used to work for in the Islands. The roofing crews used them when doing the cedar shingle roofs 3 or four stories up on the beach resort we had built. The bank foreclosed on the whole project and tons of construction gears got stored in the shed in the jungle I used as my cabinet shop. Those straps just sort of caught my attention as I gathered up my ground tackle before heading to the Hurricane Hole and I grabbed a few. I had tied off to mangrove trees for hurricane 'spider web' mooring/anchoring and used old canvas firehose and what is known as a fisherman's bowline  but could still see damage done to the delicate paperlike bark of red mangroves. I found that the wide nylon webbing and big aluminum eyes and buckle systems were perfect to quickly secure down low on a mangrove and do no damage to the trees. It really used to piss me off to see yachties (and charter company goons) tie clove hitches around a tree which would cinch up tight and ring the bark all the way around which would kill a tree quicker that anything. If you look in Army/Navy stores or arborist stores you can sometimes get good deals on similar harnesses and make a good addition to your Hurricane mooring kit.

10 Best Safety Harnesses Reviewed and Rated in 2020

I first used the carpet tree guard winching out of situations in the woods before moving to textile straps.

It does not take much to keep from injuring a tree and even a cheapskate can afford a bit of carpet runner.

• Like 1

You can buy short webbing slings for less than ten bucks.  e.g. https://www.e-rigging.com/Polyester-Web-Slings_c_3881.html I think even Harbor Freight has one, or used to.  That's what I use on the farm when I have to winch off a tree, or set a snatch block.

You could probably even use a mooring hitch to close the sling, so you could slip it off with a yank, instead of going ashore. Haven't yet made it to an anchorage where I could try out that technique, however.

1 hour ago, Teener said:

In '78 I walked out on the Columbia River.  They don't make winters like they used to.

I remember there was ice all the way across the river in the gorge back then, on still mornings.  Now it only freezes up inside the basins.  

There was more ice climbing in the gorge back then too.

Oh, and x--country skiing in the lower altitudes was better too.

Belgian family sails uyp to the Hebrides on a 32 footer :

Gotta love the snow blower service on the dock.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, Cisco said:

Quite different looking terrain to Patagonia. Big tides in the north... up towards Montt ... but you rarely run shore lines north of Bahia Anna Pink.

In the south the tidal range is normally less than 2 metres and the trees come to the water's edge... boulders are rare.

A bowline around a tree is going to be far kinder on the tree than a wire strop..... and being static there should be no chafe.

Random  but typical anchorages south of 50º South......

P1020397.JPG.jpg

DSC_2070.JPG.jpg

DSC_0485.JPG (1).jpg

P1010499.jpg

best make sure to use long bowlines to tie to trees , had more than one tree on the shore in the evening and floating behind us in the morning, and they weren't small

1 hour ago, Latadjust said:

Can't we have both?

No.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, Teener said:

There was more ice climbing in the gorge back then too.

Oh, and x--country skiing in the lower altitudes was better too.

But, but...global warming?

Somebody is getting ready...

• Like 2