billy backstay

What's at your bird feeder?

That ain't no Cormorant..... Looks like a long tailed Thrush.... But I have never seen that bird....

6 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

That ain't no Cormorant..... Looks like a long tailed Thrush.... But I have never seen that bird....

Didn't "meep-meep" give you a clue-clue? :)

Hint, a member of the coo-coo family.

5 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:
12 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Didn't "meep-meep" give you a clue-clue? :)

Hint, a member of the coo-coo family.

Roade Runnere - sawe hime and ortheres in New Maxico severalle yeares aggo.                              :)

Ah. My eastern proclivities missed the "Meep Meep".... We generally associate that with a Volkswagon.

4 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Ah. My eastern proclivities missed the "Meep Meep".... We generally associate that with a Volkswagon.

No Roade Runneres werre mde by Plymouthe           :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Well, if you see a big round black spot on the road, don't drive over it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

There's this guy banging away at a bedroom window. 

The reflective film may make him think "rival" or "mate".

20200630_124057.thumb.jpg.a4a8f93fa723e438aefa731c224486dd.jpg

We had a horny and aggressive male Robin do that for a couple of weeks in Spokane.  Really annoying.  Could not chase it away.

I have a male robin that catches a worn in our yard, then flies to our front porch flaunting the worm in his mouth, and then shits on the porch.  He's an asshole.

Wild Turkeys can be assholes.  We had one that parked himself on our front porch and pecked all the grout out between many pieces of slate.  We had to hire a mason to get it all back together.  $500, which included some new slate because pieces fell, and do what blue slate always does when it falls on aggregate.  

Swallows, though, are winsome.  Even when they get in the house.  They are intense though. Jeeze are they intense!  I like the way they glide. They will let you help them outside, which is nice.  Hummingbirds are nice like that.  They sound like bumblebees from hell, but if they trust you, they’ll land on your finger, which is just about the nicest thing you can imagine.  It’s like sailing on lake Washington on a cold winter’s day when there’s no wind, except the absolutely smooth flow of cold air sinking off the Cascades down to the lake, and the Sound.  No turbulence at all....  wasn’t it Feynman who, when asked What he might ask God, said he’d ask him why there’s turbulence?  

1 hour ago, view at the front said:

I have a male robin that catches a worn in our yard, then flies to our front porch flaunting the worm in his mouth, and then shits on the porch.  He's an asshole.

Speaking of assholes, my wife has a little spot in the yard where she likes to read in the shade of some oak trees. Apparently a blackbird started dive-bombing her and harassing the shit out of her. She came running into the house, all Tippi as hell, screaming do something. 

He's no longer with the firm . . .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dorado said:

Speaking of assholes, my wife has a little spot in the yard where she likes to read in the shade of some oak trees. Apparently a blackbird started dive-bombing her and harassing the shit out of her. She came running into the house, all Tippi as hell, screaming do something. 

He's no longer with the firm . . .

Well played.

12 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

WHAT??  Most of us Easterners grew up with Looney Tunes, Bugs, Daffy,  Wiley Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, etc..

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

WHAT??  Most of us Easterners grew up with Looney Tunes, Bugs, Daffy,  Wiley Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, etc..

I grew  up with VWs.....

2 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I grew  up with VWs.....

So did I.  But by the time I was 16, when I could drop a Bug motor out in 7 minutes, I was watching girls, not cartoons. 

42 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

So did I.  But by the time I was 16, when I could drop a Bug motor out in 7 minutes, I was watching girls, not cartoons. 

You can tell a real VW man by 36mm socket ownership.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

First car was a 62 Karmann Ghia Rag Top witha rust colored, faded, JC Whitney rattle can paint job. Followed by at least 3 bugs that I can recall and one Squareback.  Then I got into Mini's and still love them, and will own one again someday.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

10MM was the real work horse.

3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

10MM was the real work horse.

I used to know by heart which SAE wrenches or sockets were close enough to fake it, and vice versa.  Usually no problem with 6 points, sometime dicey with 12....

Is anyone missing a 10MM open end wrench?  

I found one impaled in the tread of my Jeep tire that created an immediate blow-out while traveling at 60 mph on the highway.  The local Les Schwab Tire Store had the tire mounted on their wall for a while.  I went to local auto parks stores and asked if anyone was looking to replace a 10MM wrench.

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

1/2" = 13MM

FTFY

• Like 1

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

FTFY

14 MM is 9/16

All sparkplugs are, and were, metric. But to prevent confusion and patriotic rage the USA used 13/16” sockets. Close enough for Jethro.

Bluebirds and Jays at the feeder.

6 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

And a well worn .004” or .006” feeler gauge.

• Like 1

For some reason, the goldfinch's are now chowing down on the Nyjer thistle seed way more than the he sunflower hearts? Tractor Supp;y store was out of the hearts, and I bought a slightly inferior brand of sunflower heart "chips" from Amazon, but even before that, the were going more for the Nyjer seeds?

Can't see the little heads yet on the Osprey nest I see at least twice a day, but soon they will be obvious............

I never noticed this last year, but I was pretty busy fixing up the house and property we bought in February.  For the past 4 or so months, the Goldfinches have emptied 2 sizable sunflower heart feeders ever day.  Since a week or so, the sunflower hearts are relative untouched, but the Nyjer thistle seeds are  emptied every day and a half??  Any Ornithologists here, that can explain this phenomemon??