billy backstay

What's at your bird feeder?

Recommended Posts

That ain't no Cormorant..... Looks like a long tailed Thrush.... But I have never seen that bird....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

That ain't no Cormorant..... Looks like a long tailed Thrush.... But I have never seen that bird....

Didn't "meep-meep" give you a clue-clue? :)

Hint, a member of the coo-coo family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:
12 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

That ain't no Cormorant..... Looks like a long tailed Thrush.... But I have never seen that bird....

Didn't "meep-meep" give you a clue-clue? :)

Hint, a member of the coo-coo family.

Roade Runnere - sawe hime and ortheres in New Maxico severalle yeares aggo.                              :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. My eastern proclivities missed the "Meep Meep".... We generally associate that with a Volkswagon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Ah. My eastern proclivities missed the "Meep Meep".... We generally associate that with a Volkswagon.

No Roade Runneres werre mde by Plymouthe           :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Ah. My eastern proclivities missed the "Meep Meep".... We generally associate that with a Volkswagon.

Well, if you see a big round black spot on the road, don't drive over it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

There's this guy banging away at a bedroom window. 

The reflective film may make him think "rival" or "mate".

20200630_124057.thumb.jpg.a4a8f93fa723e438aefa731c224486dd.jpg

 

We had a horny and aggressive male Robin do that for a couple of weeks in Spokane.  Really annoying.  Could not chase it away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a male robin that catches a worn in our yard, then flies to our front porch flaunting the worm in his mouth, and then shits on the porch.  He's an asshole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wild Turkeys can be assholes.  We had one that parked himself on our front porch and pecked all the grout out between many pieces of slate.  We had to hire a mason to get it all back together.  $500, which included some new slate because pieces fell, and do what blue slate always does when it falls on aggregate.  

Swallows, though, are winsome.  Even when they get in the house.  They are intense though. Jeeze are they intense!  I like the way they glide. They will let you help them outside, which is nice.  Hummingbirds are nice like that.  They sound like bumblebees from hell, but if they trust you, they’ll land on your finger, which is just about the nicest thing you can imagine.  It’s like sailing on lake Washington on a cold winter’s day when there’s no wind, except the absolutely smooth flow of cold air sinking off the Cascades down to the lake, and the Sound.  No turbulence at all....  wasn’t it Feynman who, when asked What he might ask God, said he’d ask him why there’s turbulence?  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, view at the front said:

I have a male robin that catches a worn in our yard, then flies to our front porch flaunting the worm in his mouth, and then shits on the porch.  He's an asshole.

Speaking of assholes, my wife has a little spot in the yard where she likes to read in the shade of some oak trees. Apparently a blackbird started dive-bombing her and harassing the shit out of her. She came running into the house, all Tippi as hell, screaming do something. 

He's no longer with the firm . . .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dorado said:

Speaking of assholes, my wife has a little spot in the yard where she likes to read in the shade of some oak trees. Apparently a blackbird started dive-bombing her and harassing the shit out of her. She came running into the house, all Tippi as hell, screaming do something. 

He's no longer with the firm . . .

Well played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Ah. My eastern proclivities missed the "Meep Meep".... We generally associate that with a Volkswagon.

 

WHAT??  Most of us Easterners grew up with Looney Tunes, Bugs, Daffy,  Wiley Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

 

WHAT??  Most of us Easterners grew up with Looney Tunes, Bugs, Daffy,  Wiley Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, etc..

I grew  up with VWs.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I grew  up with VWs.....

 

So did I.  But by the time I was 16, when I could drop a Bug motor out in 7 minutes, I was watching girls, not cartoons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

So did I.  But by the time I was 16, when I could drop a Bug motor out in 7 minutes, I was watching girls, not cartoons. 

You can tell a real VW man by 36mm socket ownership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

You can tell a real VW man by 36mm socket ownership.

 

First car was a 62 Karmann Ghia Rag Top witha rust colored, faded, JC Whitney rattle can paint job. Followed by at least 3 bugs that I can recall and one Squareback.  Then I got into Mini's and still love them, and will own one again someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

You can tell a real VW man by 36mm socket ownership.

10MM was the real work horse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

10MM was the real work horse.

 

I used to know by heart which SAE wrenches or sockets were close enough to fake it, and vice versa.  Usually no problem with 6 points, sometime dicey with 12....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone missing a 10MM open end wrench?  

I found one impaled in the tread of my Jeep tire that created an immediate blow-out while traveling at 60 mph on the highway.  The local Les Schwab Tire Store had the tire mounted on their wall for a while.  I went to local auto parks stores and asked if anyone was looking to replace a 10MM wrench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

1/2" = 13MM

FTFY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All sparkplugs are, and were, metric. But to prevent confusion and patriotic rage the USA used 13/16” sockets. Close enough for Jethro.

Bluebirds and Jays at the feeder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

You can tell a real VW man by 36mm socket ownership.

And a well worn .004” or .006” feeler gauge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, the goldfinch's are now chowing down on the Nyjer thistle seed way more than the he sunflower hearts? Tractor Supp;y store was out of the hearts, and I bought a slightly inferior brand of sunflower heart "chips" from Amazon, but even before that, the were going more for the Nyjer seeds?

Can't see the little heads yet on the Osprey nest I see at least twice a day, but soon they will be obvious............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never noticed this last year, but I was pretty busy fixing up the house and property we bought in February.  For the past 4 or so months, the Goldfinches have emptied 2 sizable sunflower heart feeders ever day.  Since a week or so, the sunflower hearts are relative untouched, but the Nyjer thistle seeds are  emptied every day and a half??  Any Ornithologists here, that can explain this phenomemon??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not uncommon to have a dozen peacefully feeding on this little feeder.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clicked, I thought my AC had developed a high-pitched whine. My surround speaker gizmo is better than I thought.

And I'm not from Floriduh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 4 hummingbird feeders they are a amazing bird .. I go through at least a liter a day of food . I started feeding them the beginning of may so far 12 lb of sugar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My tomatoes! One is almost red. The birds are on them. I'm conceding the uppermost ones. The large green ones are now on my windowsill. ( Heh... the birds can still see them.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dorado said:

The kids are  teenagers now. 

 

20200721_165622.jpg

Macke frendes withem untille Novembere..............                    :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 8:50 PM, welder said:

I have 4 hummingbird feeders they are a amazing bird .. I go through at least a liter a day of food . I started feeding them the beginning of may so far 12 lb of sugar!

 

Where are you located?  They are not common in SE CT, only spotted occasionally.  We had a hummingbird feeder and it attracted more bees than anything else, and MIssus BB is highly allergic to their stings, so we had to deep six it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lakeville ma. Plenty of them here I put out feeders early end of april.one bird made a nest about 30 feet from the deck had 2 baby birds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest 24 hour seed usage day ever, since we move in here last February!  I think the local birdie's "coconut telegraph", has told every hungry bird in a 5 mile radius, that our modest 1400 SF Ranch, we call the "Final Cafe", is the best free birdie meals in the County!!  Since last evening they have nearly emptied 2 Nyjer thistle tube feeders, 2 larger sunflower heart feeders and an entire suet cake!!  Even the cheap millet, corn and sunflower feeders are down a couple of inches, but I have only seen Blue Jays, and other lesser desirable birds feed at them.  Sunny, our fat, slow, 12 yo cat managed to catch a female Woodpecker or Flicker, which are not small birds!!  MIssus BB got to her in time to grab the scruff of her neck, so she dropped it, and Ms BB put the cat inside.  The bird was okay, but it took her a half hour to shoo it out of the screened porch, which is open to the large deck during the day. I need a couple more of the predator bird decals that Snaggy turned me onto, for the two panels of the sliding patio door to the deck.  They have worked great on the other 3 picture windows that look north to the CT River and forest lands across the river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

20200723_081706.thumb.jpg.e2ce604c490fe8a91c6499d00cc5f76d.jpg

 

First one I've seen since moving here in '97. About a foot long.

 

Never seen that bird species before?????:D  Start a lizard thread, don't pollute the bird one!!! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

 

I guess you get a free pass, since I mentioned our cats who like to eat birds...

 

In the wild Gila monsters eat small mammals, lizards, frogs, insects, carrion, birds and birds' eggs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I guess you get a free pass

They're just so very rare, I got a little carried away. 

And aren't birds descended from lizards? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take my un-caged bird-feeders inside at night to deter the black-tailed deer.

Last night, the caged bird-feeder was standing upright about 15 feet from the shepherd's hook, which was bent at about 15 degrees from vertical, and most of the seed was gone.  I have no idea what could have caused that.  We don't have bears on the island.  It's the only shepherd's hook that does not have a slinky.  Someone was really hungry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baby robins! six or seven sparrow-like chicks on my dirtpatch. Mom and Pop in attendance. I am here to say they were very hard-working parents. Think I'll buy a cigar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowgirl has been seeing more hawks around lately.  I think the big owl that lives in the forested area behind our house has a nest full of chicks too.  I wish we had hummingbirds where we live but they are not common.  In Cali we had them all the time at our feeders.  We are adding 4 hens to our animal collection (two cats and a dog) this fall, so I'm starting to build the chicken run when I get home.  Using good strong wire all the way around and the top to keep put unwanted critters, including the hawks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 1:36 PM, view at the front said:

I take my un-caged bird-feeders inside at night to deter the black-tailed deer.

Last night, the caged bird-feeder was standing upright about 15 feet from the shepherd's hook, which was bent at about 15 degrees from vertical, and most of the seed was gone.  I have no idea what could have caused that.  We don't have bears on the island.  It's the only shepherd's hook that does not have a slinky.  Someone was really hungry?

 

I try to take them in, because Raccoons have pilfered them in the past.  Goldfinches are emptying both Sunflower heart feeders twice a day lately, and one third of the Nyjer thistle feeders..  Ospreys on the nest I go by twice a day on my work commute have not been seen on the nest since the big storm.  I expect their nest was unproductive this year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue crab I made 2 flats platforms for birds to nest on with cameras about 12 inches away got to watch Robin's make nest. They raised 2 sets of chicks on them fun to watch.

Wife was very upset when a crow came and took 2 of the eggs

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 1:36 PM, view at the front said:

I take my un-caged bird-feeders inside at night to deter the black-tailed deer.

Last night, the caged bird-feeder was standing upright about 15 feet from the shepherd's hook, which was bent at about 15 degrees from vertical, and most of the seed was gone.  I have no idea what could have caused that.  We don't have bears on the island.  It's the only shepherd's hook that does not have a slinky.  Someone was really hungry?

 

How thick and what metal was the Shepherd Hook made of?  If there are no bears there, WTF did that????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

 

How thick and what metal was the Shepherd Hook made of?  If there are no bears there, WTF did that????

The Shepherd's Hook is 1/2" square and about 6 feet tall before the curve, so it's not very robust.  I can visualize a deer bending the pole, but how did the feeder get 15 get away, left setting upright, with the lid pushed aside?  It hasn't happened since.  

We do have raccoons which don't seem to be interested in the feeders as far as I know.  I'm not up when they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, view at the front said:

The Shepherd's Hook is 1/2" square and about 6 feet tall before the curve, so it's not very robust.  I can visualize a deer bending the pole, but how did the feeder get 15 get away, left setting upright, with the lid pushed aside?  It hasn't happened since.  

We do have raccoons which don't seem to be interested in the feeders as far as I know.  I'm not up when they are.

 

Oh, I've caught raccoons on the feeders, that's why I started bringing them in.  And something, probably them, destroyed a plastic thistle feeder and left bite marks on the plastic tube.  I leave out the two caged feeders out, that have the unpopular cheap, millet, corn, sunflower seed mix, but the other 4 with sunflower hearts and thistle seed come inside the screened porch at night, unless I forget.  It was a long time before we started getting Red Winged Blackbirds, since they rarely stray far from the river, but after the first one discovered our free lunch, he must have got on the Blackbird Coconut Telegraph and told all his mates, because now we get a half dozen all at once, but not for long, and they head back to the river when done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Bowgirl has been seeing more hawks around lately.  I think the big owl that lives in the forested area behind our house has a nest full of chicks too.  I wish we had hummingbirds where we live but they are not common.  In Cali we had them all the time at our feeders.  We are adding 4 hens to our animal collection (two cats and a dog) this fall, so I'm starting to build the chicken run when I get home.  Using good strong wire all the way around and the top to keep put unwanted critters, including the hawks.

Depending on what type of fox coyote population you have you might want to take the barrier a foot or more below grade so they don't dig themselves into the coop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pbd said:

Depending on what type of fox coyote population you have you might want to take the barrier a foot or more below grade so they don't dig themselves into the coop.

or racoons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pbd said:

Depending on what type of fox coyote population you have you might want to take the barrier a foot or more below grade so they don't dig themselves into the coop.

Tom seems to have constructed a predator safe chicken coop.  See the camera thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pbd said:

Depending on what type of fox coyote population you have you might want to take the barrier a foot or more below grade so they don't dig themselves into the coop.

We will be doing that anyway, using strong hardware cloth all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of raccoons and foxes, I keep a live trap set often for skunks and coons. Wound up with a fox in there. Let him go with no injury. I figured he's smart and won't be back. Well believe it or not he was in the trap again a few days later. I have the only dumb fox in the neighborhood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been very busy at the feeder. Pinon Jay's discovered it. They come in 20 at a time and ravage it.

Last night our local bruin came over and destroyed it along with the deer fence around the tree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really a feeder although they were eating 

 

0D1481FB-CA0B-4C6F-9D0F-B1921899FC11.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the Gila monster made the grade earlier, here’s a Timber Rattler in central Ct.. After being polite enough to rattle as a warning to my granddaughter of its presence underfoot, it went on about its business.....and she was more careful of where she placed her foot....

10F71952-6B23-4D8B-AB3E-4488557ADDDE.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Orion Jim said:

Since the Gila monster made the grade earlier, here’s a Timber Rattler in central Ct.. After being polite enough to rattle as a warning to my granddaughter of its presence underfoot, it went on about its business.....and she was more careful of where she placed her foot....

All of our rattlesnakes have been perfect gentlemen/ladies, alerting us to their presence before a bite was possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year we had not a single red wing blackbird, that I can recall.  Now they are like the crows, or grackles.  A dozen or more come up from the nearby river, and pillage the expensive sunflower hearts, and chase away the desired goldfinches and other smaller birds.  I was buying a 25 pound, 30 dollar bag of sunflower hearts every 3-4 weeks, now it's going to be every 1-2 weeks!!  If I am home and paying attention, I load the BB gun, out of sight and when I go onto the deck I see which tree they took off to, and send a BB into the tree.  Then they next tree the move to, and sometimes the 3rd tree and I lob a BB there too.  Then they disappear from sight, but not for very long...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

black vultiures?  I sawe some today to.

We call them turkey vultures around here

I’ve not seem them without a red head until yesterday’s sighting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Diffrentte birdes........

Yet equally attractive....

 

They are fun to watch flying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pbd said:

We call them turkey vultures around here

I’ve not seem them without a red head until yesterday’s sighting 

 

AKA Turkey buzzards, and yes the red head is slightly different species than black headed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Diffrentte birdes........

201307_turkey-vulture-and-black-vulture_

:)

 

I just got smarter

 

I guess I never paid close enough attention to distinguish the black vultures from the turkey vultures. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In central Illinois we get only ruby-throat hummingbirds and over the past 30 years we see only a few near the end of the season each year, presumably adults and then juveniles migrating through to the south. We've used a wide variety of feeders, but this year I bought this set of four single feeders and put one up on each side of the house. It has been amazing. We have a hummingbird defending each feeder for weeks now and others trying to barge their way in. Very entertaining for our Covid lockdown. I just wish I'd done this in early spring, we might have had breeding.

https://www.amazon.com/Gray-Bunny-GB-6846B-Hummingbird-Feeders/dp/B01MYXLZSZ/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=hummingbird+feeder&qid=1599859066&sr=8-25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

In central Illinois we get only ruby-throat hummingbirds and over the past 30 years we see only a few near the end of the season each year, presumably adults and then juveniles migrating through to the south. We've used a wide variety of feeders, but this year I bought this set of four single feeders and put one up on each side of the house. It has been amazing. We have a hummingbird defending each feeder for weeks now and others trying to barge their way in. Very entertaining for our Covid lockdown. I just wish I'd done this in early spring, we might have had breeding.

https://www.amazon.com/Gray-Bunny-GB-6846B-Hummingbird-Feeders/dp/B01MYXLZSZ/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=hummingbird+feeder&qid=1599859066&sr=8-25

 

What do you use in the feeders?  We have a few that come and sip from flowers on the deck, but gave up on feeders a few years ago.  The sugary liquid attracted more bees than birds, and the Missus is deathly allergic to bees, so we deep sixed the feeders to Davy Jones locker.  If there is a feed that does not attract bees, I would try again, and these look perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely standard mix of 1/4 sugar to water. No color. For whatever reason no bee problems. I did purchase some little water catchers for above the feeders, but unless it rains every day I have to top those up each day to stop the ants from getting to the feeders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had hummingbird feeders for 20+ years on my back decks without ever seeing a bee.  This year the bees are making it impossible for us to use the decks.  I am moving the feeders into the woods along the back of the dog fence to keep the bees away from the house.  I want to keep the hummers well supplied with food  as they are getting ready to migrate, but I cannot take the bees trying to get into the house or possibly stinging our dog who tries to catch them with her mouth when they fly by her.

We have hummingbird wars quite often and it gets comical when they are pissed off at each other or us for being on the deck.  Usually a male is near each feeder and will swoop in on any other birds trying to get to the feeder.  It is crazy to watch them hover a few feet from us when we are on the deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be carefulle, hummers cane be dangerouse.  When they feelle thretenned wille attack a largere beings eiyes.  Allso nowen to kille much largere birdes, as bigge as eagles, by peiceng the hearte with spearlicke beake.                                  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, F395 said:

It is crazy to watch them hover a few feet from us when we are on the deck.

I've had them feeding while I held the bottle a foot from my head. Fearless birds!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We saw a flock of male and female scarlet minivets the other day while out walking, not at our bird feeder, so not sure if that counts.  Never seen them before, beautiful.

image.jpeg.684cc81b17c8dce285ccc4eaba955f67.jpeg

Male

image.jpeg.6885593e40edc785de7c4fbe72e25b49.jpeg

Female.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems all the mature goldfinches have gone south, but heaps of immature ones still here.  Sometime 3 dozen swarming around.  35 dollar bag of sunflower hearts used to last a month, now it's 2 weeks tops.  I notice some the males as their feathers are slowing turning from brown to yellow, but curious why the mature ones left, but the immature are still here, in droves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cyclone said:

 

Video unavailable??   If could play that on the 43 inch flat screen, I could dispense with the feeders, and let the cats back out on the deck!! :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

 

Video unavailable??   If could play that on the 43 inch flat screen, I could dispense with the feeders, and let the cats back out on the deck!! :o

Working for me.

Lost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lostonsat said:

Working for me.

Lost

 

Work computer nannies then :angry:  Will try from home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here is a funny looking bird trying to eat some black sunflower seeds

squirrel at feeder.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing at the moment, electricity still nonexistent since Hurricane Zeta here in New Orleans

But before, and certainly after when electricity finally returns, our little square pool  with the central totem-pole colorful ceramic hollow pieces on a pipe (it's art!) which pipe, when we have power, has water pumped upwards and it makes a "water bubbler" at the top,  ergo.....

Blue Jays (mostly) and Cardinals, love it, they splash and flutter, in an unintentional birdbath.   Fun to look at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites