Sign in to follow this  
chrispn

Reaching sheets for Jib

I've seen that some TP52's have dual jib sheets on each side. One they use going upwind and then a second lighter set that they can use when reaching. The reaching sheets run all the way out at the side of the boat for the best sheeting angle. Just wondering if anyone knows what the load on the reaching lines is? Do they have a purchase below deck? Do they just run back to a standard cleat, a winch or a jammer?? Looking to do something similar on a 40 footer but just trying to get a sense of the loads.

Is the outboard sheet able to be trimmed?

My one time experience on V5 in Auckland, a fixed length sheet was attached to the clew just before the bear away at the top mark. Jib sheet was dumped as the asymmetrical was hoisted and the jib set on the outboard sheet until the jib was dropped to the deck.  Someone explained that it was to enable the primaries to be used for the kite.

Out boat is a fair bit shorter (24ft), so can't give a definite awnser to the loads for your case, but the loads on the reaching sheets are way lower than on the windward sheets.

We use the spinnaker sheets for reaching.

indeed fixed line. no trimming. can be a fair bit lighter than your standard sheets

I use my spinnaker tweaking lines for outboard sheeting, carabiner clips into clew when required, block on toe rail back to cleat or winch.

Well worth using performance wise, frees up winch too if you cleat it off, on a 40' you will need a winch to adjust it. I use the winch on the original sheet to take the load, reset the tweaker on a cleat then let the sheet go again if loads are higher than I can do by hand, depends on angle and how much wind.

Can turn into a bit of a clustafuck if you forget you have it hooked on before tacking.

They could be on a purchase system but not sure entirely. On the Fast 40s they use a self gybing hobble which is a thin spectra ‘traveller’ running across the foredeck with a couple of blocks to create a 2:1 purchase onto the clew and then to a cam cleat. This is mainly for sheeting the jib downwind but requires a foredeck flush in front of the mast

I set up an out board sheet for our Genoa, then put the Genoa sheet on the staysail to help with a tighter angle. 

1F391526-3F69-4B5F-95F5-FE0ACA71D6FB.jpeg

We do the same on my 37’ boat when distance racing. The sheet isn’t that important (I think we use our changing sheet, but we might just use the guy) and we use the guy block for our kite, it’s on a sliding track at the gunwale already. 

We run the reaching sheet to the secondary winch.  It’s easy to transfer load over, then transfer back to the normal sheet if we need more point. 

It works great with our deck scraping #1. 

Alex, did the same w/ my Express, just used a changing sheet out to the rail, then you can adjust tension between the inboard and outboard sheet.  Did you see the NYT article w/ my old boat Zipporah in St. Johns VI?  

On 4/24/2020 at 5:01 PM, JL92S said:

They could be on a purchase system but not sure entirely. On the Fast 40s they use a self gybing hobble which is a thin spectra ‘traveller’ running across the foredeck with a couple of blocks to create a 2:1 purchase onto the clew and then to a cam cleat. This is mainly for sheeting the jib downwind but requires a foredeck flush in front of the mast

Huh, this is super clever - so it would look something like this:

KGS4ZNBD5IU3RD5VDPGQUV5BBE.jpg

I'm basically trying to find a system that will mean that the winch will be freed up!

That looks like rocket science.  If you want over sheet inboard, put an outboard sheet on and tie it to the cleat, then ease the inboard sheet.  Adjust as necessary.  If you are on a long reach run the outboard sheet to the winch you want to trim with and the other to the windward winch.  Necessity is the Mother of Invention, just try different set ups, it doesn't need to be complicated.

1 hour ago, chrispn said:

I'm basically trying to find a system that will mean that the winch will be freed up!

I have seen that system before... from memory it is a 25’ sports boat.

i was thinking about such a system for a Magic 25 but I moved. My thinking was to dump the jib sheet at the top mark and jib is set for the downwind and gybes by itself. Great for sailing a Magic 2 handed, one less thing for the crew to worry about

It's called a "hobble". It's just a piece of dyneema spliced to a padeye with a tylaska at the end of it. It's length is generally sized to be perfect trim on an offset mark reach to free up a winch for the new kite sheet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrispn said:

Yeah that’s it. 

On 4/28/2020 at 2:22 PM, Murphness said:

It's called a "hobble". It's just a piece of dyneema spliced to a padeye with a tylaska at the end of it. It's length is generally sized to be perfect trim on an offset mark reach to free up a winch for the new kite sheet.

Look like this on a GP42 I sailed on. Attach to clew before top mark, so it takes the load when the sheet is eased and reaching to of set mark. Frees the winch for spinaker set.

9F93940F-925C-49E3-BF3E-8EE9A8550832.jpeg