MikeR80

Regattas Still Being Held in the Age of Covid-19?

Are any events still being held anywhere in the world at the moment???

Seems like classes like laser should still be able to race and just cancel the party and do the skippers meeting over the phone, no?

• Like 2

Bayview Mackinac is still on.  Website says, “… decision to run or not run the race will be based on when we return to some semblance of normalcy.” And, “…please everyone, stay at home, stay safe and be well.”  Race start date is July 11.

Chicago Mackinac is still on.  Website says, “…committee is targeting late May for a “go or no-go” decision on running the race.”  Race date is July 17 and 18.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

I read of a SH/FMO (Single-Handed/Family Members Only) race in BC, Canada, over the weekend. 

Yeah - There's unofficial races happening almost every weekend with rabbit starts and you take your own time. For anything official in English Bay/Vancouver (location of most regattas) you need an event permit from the Harbour Authority and they're not giving them out. There's a SH race being held in June that was modified but not cancelled which isn't in the Harbour Authorities Jurisdiction.

• Like 1

the single handed and double handed stuff makes sense.  i see big laser regattas this summer are cancelled.

the mackinac races should be cancelled, that's a no brainer

I'm all for optimism w/ this, so yeah they can wait and cancel these events at the last minute...   the local authorities will likely put a kibosh on these events at some point.  having people traveling from all over to hang on a small sailboat with 6-10 people for 40-50 hours is quite obviously a very bad idea. 

They cancel early because about now they'd be putting in a bunch of effort in prep, which isn't worth it now. They make the call at the point they have to start putting significant effort in.

It amazes me the number of sailors who show up on Saturday morning and assume everyone else did as well and it all just happened.

tent, caterers, booze, beer, ice, support staff, police, awards....all cost money and cancelling at the last minute isn't going to make all of those expenses go away 

An aspect of this is what the contractual liabilities are in event of cancellation. No-one wants to cancel if doing so makes them liable for any associated costs and losses, so sometimes its better to wait and get forced to cancel, and let someone else pick up any associated liabilities. Cancelling at the last minute won't make the costs go away, but it may mean that someone else picks up the tab.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:35 AM, bloodshot said:

tent, caterers, booze, beer, ice, support staff, police, awards....all cost money and cancelling at the last minute isn't going to make all of those expenses go away 

You can have a race without all of the things you listed. Cancel the party now and play the race by ear...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, climenuts said:

You can have a race without all of the things you listed. Cancel the party now and play the race by ear...

well, that's a different call altogether...one that we are making over the coming month or so.  A no-party regatta is certainly likely, but at the same time, that call has to be made well in advance of the event...not last minute.

Just registered for a SH/DH race in late June.  It will be a pursuit start, so no race committee and no after party.  

Safe to say, but if we get to race at all in the near future it is going to be shorthanded. I see it as a bonus as we race shorthanded regardless. 

On 4/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, MikeR80 said:

the single handed and double handed stuff makes sense.  i see big laser regattas this summer are cancelled.

the mackinac races should be cancelled, that's a no brainer

I sure hope you're wrong but I am starting to think you're right.      Locally, we are doing Laser racing (13 boats this weekend) and loving that.

Mach2 Moth coming in the mail shortly so I can take the summer to frustrate myself with that instead of deliveries,  maybe I"ll name the thing 'Social Distance' or something

Bayview Mackinac is still on. 

Bayview Mackinac Race Update

May 1, 2020 

It is likely that Mackinac Island will start opening in the 3rd week of June.  This is three weeks before the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race and is adequate time for us to run the Race. Due to this compressed timing there will be some required adjustments. 

1)      Social activities on the island will be scaled back. What does this mean? I do not know. We are working with the Grand Hotel and will make an announcement clarifying the social activities on the island. 

2)      The Bluewater Festival in Port Huron was canceled last month. This does not impact the racers access to the docks in Port Huron. We are coordinating with the harbor master in Port Huron. 

3)      The Amended and Restated NOR has been posted on the race web site. Overall, the impact of these NOR changes do the following:

a.  Cove Island Mark will not be set this year and the mark will be virtual. Tracked by Yellowbrick.

b.  It allows the race to be finished and times entered for scoring by Yellowbrick. We will still have people at the finish line auditing Yellowbrick.

c.  Removed reference to locations on Mackinac Island for activities. Locations will be updated on the race web site as the information becomes available. 

d.  Allow the Race Committee to consolidate the Cove Island and Shore Course and have the entire fleet sail the Shore Course. This will not be a last-minute decision, but we do not know when the decision will be made. This will be based on entries.

The Harbor 20 owners have been sailing with family members and or single-handed in Newport Beach, we are going on week seven and averaging 25 boats each week.  H20 "Nuts Series"

• Like 1

Today’s news on the BYC – Port Huron to Mackinac Race. 

·        Only Shore Course in 2020 – no “Long Course” 

Previously announced:

·        No party at Port Huron

·        Party at Mackinac Island?  “…Looking more likely”, but no Endless Summer Band

·        Awards at Mackinac Island?  “…Yes, we believe so.”

·        Using a “virtual” finish line from Yellow Brick that volunteers will “audit” 

·        One boat per slip at the State Marina – assume no rafting at the coal dock.

·         More changes before the race start?  “… Absolutely!”

The Duncan Dana Cup being held in Marblehead on Sunday.

• Like 1

Today was supposed to be my YC’s annual Open Regatta. First time ever since we started it in 1972 that it’s been cancelled. Or as I try to tell everyone “postponed” 

Just some Moore’s sailing up the delta at the same time. Not a race per say, although we all did somehow manage to start at the same time between some government marks. 

4D1D6CFC-0ADF-48B2-AAC2-BBBA04990356.jpeg

Twice denied this month for the Singlehanded Farallones by the USCG.    Ugg.

I have not been following this thread, so please forgive me if this info has already  been posted.  We have two races coming up in Ventura: the Milt, and the Tri-Point.

PBYC Racing

Ugotta is still on the calendar, however they have cancelled all the shore events and social stuff.

• Like 1

Informal and socially distant one design gathering in The Bay of Quinte, just kinda happens Wednesday evenings...

Cheers!

20200624 Wed Night.jpg

Possibly the Singlehanded Farallones will be held this Saturday.   30+ entries already.   Still waiting on the USCG final approval.

!st race of the season, either solo or same household:

14 hours ago, pasta514 said:

!st race of the season, either solo or same household:

Fleet of 110's on the west coast? Awesome. Wish I still had mine. 

We're hoping to start our Wed night races  Sunfish/Laser August 5 

My shorthanded club has hosted 2 events this year and both have been successful.

We discovered that none of our members attend our spring General Meeting because really, who the fuck wants to spend a fine spring day in a pub watching Death by Powerpoint when they can be prepping their boat or sailing?  We created an on-the-water event that starts off with a short race or this year, a race start "clinic" where people can practice repeated starts in a controlled environment.

After the clinic, we rafted up in a nearby creek.  Two anchor boats tied up stern-to-stern. The other members rafted alongside the two anchor boats. This put all of the cockpits near each other so that we could speak and hang out without anyone leaving their own boat. Human separation was well over 6 feet. More like 12 feet. Self-provisioning was the order of the day, no sharing of food or beverage allowed. The raft-up allows the board to rattle off the financial report, membership report and the event plan for the season while everyone enjoys a brew or sandwich. A total of 16 boats were in the raft-up.  The skippers furthest out had to raise their voices a little to be heard, but nothing ridiculous.

Our second event was yesterday- a random triangular course where the skipper can choose which direction to go around, sort of like the 3 Bridges Fiasco. We had 27 boats sign up. 25 actually participated, so not bad overall.  No social afterwards, but a t-storm line moved in shortly after the finish so no huge loss.

Safe events can be held if you apply a little common sense.

Just umpired ( actually on the water judged ) a 2 class event here in China, having said that they are a couple of months ahead if the curve here although recent Beijing events are concerning.

our big concern is the China Club Challenge Match later in the year when for half a dozen years we have been bringing IUs from overseas - this year, highly unlikely they will get in this year. Some rapid & intense officials training required - argh!!!