Slowmotion64

J70 On A Mooring

Hi Everyone. Given whats going on with COVID, I hoping on using my j70 a bunch more to do day sailing and get out of the house this summer. I'm debating whether to suck it up, paint the bottom and get a mooring for the season so its not a big ordeal to get the boat in the water every time we want to go out for a quick sail. Plus I don't even know if we are allowed to us the lifts in NY currently. I know leaving it in the water will hurt resale value, but I think if it leads to me using the boat more Im ok with that. Curious if there is anything I should know about bottom painting and leaving the boat on a mooring? 

Thanks

I've heard if you get it done right painting the bottom can make you faster. I think there's a technicality in the Class Rules that say you can't fair the hull, but if you paint you can fair the paint. I saw Africa the year after it won J/70 Worlds and it had a painted bottom. I've never left a boat on a mooring but if you get a good paint job and are on a lake you should be fine.

But, please take the rudder off, stow it below, take all sails off, roll and cover, sky all halyards and cover the tails, recoat mast and boom yearly, or just say fuck it and but another one to race.

It's all about the fun factor.   Jumping on the boat and blasting off is much more fun than the hassle of getting it down on the water etc...  spend the $$$ get a good bottom job and you will probably be happier. 

My J/70 has been in the water with bottom paint in WLIS for the last few weeks.  It has been in the water every year of its life with bottom paint.  I am at a dock but I have seen boats stay for a full season at a mooring.

I live far enough away that haveing to launch and haul every time I sail would make for longer days and less time having fun.  Just put on some sails and go sailing.  Friday night racing at AYC starts 6/19!

Chinook

jamesmalcom has it almost right. you're not allowed to fair the hull, but you are allowed:

Below the waterline, the gelcoat may be lightly abraded to allow for the application of anti-foul paint. The abrasion of gelcoat shall be the minimum needed to ensure the adhesion of the paint. If an epoxy barrier coat is applied, then anti-foul paint shall also be applied.

some speedshops have interpreted 'lightly abraded' as an opportunity to fair as long as you don't go overboard. I'm sure lightly abraded by long boards is probably ok, right? certainly you have to sand an epoxy barrier coat before the af goes on as well... hmmm. just remember to paint your carbon rudder white and the keel delrins should go in the right general vicinity of the original holes :)

I'm thinking of getting a J/70 and have a mooring which it would have to be kept on so I checked with J/Boats about doing this a while ago.  They said moorings are fine as long as the keel is kept down for stability and you need to paint up the keel above the water line and also into the sides of the keel well.

I would avoid a barrier coat so the paint can 'possibly' be removed if needed later but anyway everyone I speak to says the bottom paint will kill the resale.

Looking at the cleat arrangements for the mooring pennants there is just the forward U bolt so cleats (probably 2) would have to be added for safety.  I think the OD rule allows for 1 only.

I'm undecided.

My other issue is exactly how do you deal with marine growth on the lifting keel and keel well walls once you haul out for the winter?  The trailers are mostly designed for the keel to be raised, so how do you clean, sand and repaint the area that will be inside the well on the trailer?  Finding a suitable hoist somewhere for a few hours sounds like a pain and probably expensive.   Any ideas?

When I had bottom paint put on 7 years ago they also painted the upper part of the keel and the keel box.  Haven't had an issue with fouling on either and have not reapplied paint in those areas.  I think other 70s in the area that were on moorings use the U bolt for the mooring connection and did not add any cleats.

Chinook

• Like 1