Sign in to follow this  
Slowmotion64

J70 On A Mooring

Hi Everyone. Given whats going on with COVID, I hoping on using my j70 a bunch more to do day sailing and get out of the house this summer. I'm debating whether to suck it up, paint the bottom and get a mooring for the season so its not a big ordeal to get the boat in the water every time we want to go out for a quick sail. Plus I don't even know if we are allowed to us the lifts in NY currently. I know leaving it in the water will hurt resale value, but I think if it leads to me using the boat more Im ok with that. Curious if there is anything I should know about bottom painting and leaving the boat on a mooring? 

Thanks

I've heard if you get it done right painting the bottom can make you faster. I think there's a technicality in the Class Rules that say you can't fair the hull, but if you paint you can fair the paint. I saw Africa the year after it won J/70 Worlds and it had a painted bottom. I've never left a boat on a mooring but if you get a good paint job and are on a lake you should be fine.

But, please take the rudder off, stow it below, take all sails off, roll and cover, sky all halyards and cover the tails, recoat mast and boom yearly, or just say fuck it and but another one to race.