Sign in to follow this  
Murphness

New Electronics - Simnet/Seatalkng vs NMEA2000

New to me boat and new to me project - Replacing and adding new electronics equipment. I'd like to try and do it right the first time.

Here's the tricky part, I have a mix of different brands of equipment. This is because some of it was gifted (Simrad), some of it is original and some replacing original (Raymarine).

Raymarine: The boat came with a SmartPilot X10 which was broken, so I upgraded to an EV200 because they gave me a discount. I also have an older wind sensor.

• ACU200
  • EV1
  • P70rs
  • ST60 Wind

Simrad: I was gifted an NSE8 and same gen radar

• NSE8 (chart plotter)
  • Simrad Radar (overlay)
  • Simrad GPS Antenna
  • Simrad Depth Sensor (glued to inside of hull style)

Dilemma: This being my first electronic installation project, I'm new to a lot of the NMEA2000 style products. Each system came with it's own proprietary wiring system, which I've since learned is just re-branded NMEA2000 stuff but proprietary connections. Each will run off straight NMEA2000 wiring though (I think).

Should I throw out the wiring that came with these in favor of pure NMEA2K wiring? Can I re-use say the Seatalk stuff and connect the Simnet stuff to that? Should I use Simnet?

Cheers,

Murph

as you said, simnet, seatalk ng and n2k are essentially compatible.

I don't have any simnet on the RockIt, but I do have Ev-100 pilot connected into my n2k backbone, and I did it with a combination of field-installed maretron connectors and adapter cables. ng and simnet adapters are all available from defender.

If it were me, I'd just run an n2k backbone connect the seatalk/simnet stuff to that. depending on how long your runs are, your 'backbone' could be a bunch of n2k t-connectors all connected up and terminated properly with drops going to each of your instruments. You could do simnet and go seatalk-simnet, but it's easier to find the simnet and seatalk adapters to n2k micros, so that's probably your best bet.

Oh, and draw it out with all of the connectors you'll need. you'll thank yourself later.

Super helpful. Thanks!

What seems silly is that there doesn't seem to be a NMEA2K Tee that has a Simnet/Seatalk branch. Instead i need to buy an adapter drop and a NMEA Tee. All this stuff came with drops, so now I have to buy new drops, and TEE's. Kind of annoying...

Maretron has some great software for mapping out your network before you build it.  Free on their website.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, Murphness said:

What seems silly is that there doesn't seem to be a NMEA2K Tee that has a Simnet/Seatalk branch. Instead i need to buy an adapter drop and a NMEA Tee. All this stuff came with drops, so now I have to buy new drops, and TEE's. Kind of annoying...

true. a lot of the adapter kits come with the n2k tee as part of the kit, but you're right. But on the plus side, you have the opportunity to buy maretron tees and backbone which are 100x better than the stock stuff that comes with most instrument packages. I mean it's a boat - you didn't expect anything to be cheap, did you? ;)

• Like 1

:DPricing it all out now. I'll be lucky if I get out of this for under half a boat buck. $30 bucks a pop for the tees adds up quick!