Misbehavin'

iNavX vs. Navionics for coastal over-night racing and cruising

I guess the title says everything.
I'm quite familiar with Navionics, but I would like in-built weather routing. I'm a cheapskate regarding some things, so I don't want to pay for iNavX, if it's worse than Navionics. For racing, I combine it with iRegatta, as an electronic compass, start line etc. It must be said, that I only have a hand held VHF, windex, magnetic compass and a paddle wheel speed log  in terms of equipment on board, so I can't make use of any AIS or NMEA support.

If I'm going with iNavX I would go with the Navionics charts even though they're dearer than buying the same maps in Navionics, because the map area that I want, covers a bigger area than is neccessary for me in the Navionics charts bought through iNavX. I have to add that, Navionics charts both in iNavX and Navionics, are vector charts for my area of sailing.

Or, would I be better off combining Navionics with either Squid Mobile or PredictWind, than going for iNavX?

Anybody got anything to add, any pros and/or cons for going with one over the another?

I use iNavX with Navionics charts for similar sailing. Coastal distance day racing, some overnight coastal racing. iNavX is pretty cheap as these things go. The Navionics charts costs more than the app I think and they are a must for iNavX in my opinion.

I don't have experience with weather routing in iNavX. We have used Squid and PredictWind beside iNavX, running on a laptop.

Thank you for your reply. On the topic of Squid/PW, I have a hard time choosing between them. What have you gone with, and why?

For the sake of simplicity, I would like to stay with a tablet based system. My 27 feeter doesn't have anything resembling a nav station, as there's only 4 feet standing crouching room in the cabin, so a mounted laptop is out of the equation.

806-8.jpg

On 5/2/2020 at 9:19 PM, Misbehavin' said:

I guess the title says everything.
I'm quite familiar with Navionics, but I would like in-built weather routing. I'm a cheapskate regarding some things, so I don't want to pay for iNavX, if it's worse than Navionics. For racing, I combine it with iRegatta, as an electronic compass, start line etc. It must be said, that I only have a hand held VHF, windex, magnetic compass and a paddle wheel speed log  in terms of equipment on board, so I can't make use of any AIS or NMEA support.

If I'm going with iNavX I would go with the Navionics charts even though they're dearer than buying the same maps in Navionics, because the map area that I want, covers a bigger area than is neccessary for me in the Navionics charts bought through iNavX. I have to add that, Navionics charts both in iNavX and Navionics, are vector charts for my area of sailing.

Or, would I be better off combining Navionics with either Squid Mobile or PredictWind, than going for iNavX?

Anybody got anything to add, any pros and/or cons for going with one over the another?

iNavX is going to get you a color chart plotter, the ability to overlay downloaded GRIBs, subscribe to a premium weather service (Theyr weather), an optional AIS receiver data, and as you note multiple chart sources. I'm assuming Denmark is your sailing area from your profile? You will need cell data on your tablet to get the live AIS feeds.

While iNavX doesn't have routing capabilities built in, it can import and export routes. So you can use it side by side with PredictWind and export the routes from PredictWind to use for navigation in iNavX.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:33 PM, Misbehavin' said:

Anyone?

ok, I'll bite. I went with Predictwind because I have a wet boat that doesn't have a good place to set up a laptop with Expedition. Using my phone as a hotspot, I can upload a route to PW from my Zeus2, and in a few minutes get routes downloaded to the CP. All the processing power is at PW and you get 4 routes back, one for each weather model. choose the one closest to the observed conditions and have a ball.

I've found them to be accurate enough for the kind of sailing I do, which is not crossing oceans but is crossing mass bay or going to maine or the occasional jaunt from greenport to bi and back.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your input, both of you.

ryly....   using Predictwind is against racing rules.   You cannot use an off the boat weather routing service like Predictwind nor their proprietary weather models while racing.   You can use publicly available GRIBS ONLY.   iNax will let you download GRIBS and not cheat while racing.   Again, ANY paid service or routing off the boat is not legal for racing.

On 5/15/2020 at 3:10 AM, solosailor said:

ryly....   using Predictwind is against racing rules.   You cannot use an off the boat weather routing service like Predictwind nor their proprietary weather models while racing.   You can use publicly available GRIBS ONLY.   iNax will let you download GRIBS and not cheat while racing.   Again, ANY paid service or routing off the boat is not legal for racing.

That depends on the Race Committee and what they decree in the SIs.  What you write is apparently common in the US, but quite uncommon elsewhere.

26 minutes ago, DuncanR said:

That depends on the Race Committee and what they decree in the SIs.  What you write is apparently common in the US, but quite uncommon elsewhere.

sure - depends what's in the SI's.., but if they do not alter RRS 41, then several of the gribs available in PW as well as the routing can not be acquired while racing.

Squid routing is done on their servers, so is also not allowed while racing.

in the US, even when they do alter the SI's to permit some ordinarily illegal information; for example - gribs that cost money but that anyone can buy, they often put in a clause that specifically bans any outside information that is specific to one boat - so that means both squid and PW routing services are still not permitted.

I can only think of one race in the USA that permitted PW or squid routing - it was newport bermuda a few years ago. Since then, the language for newport-bermuda has banned them both.

I would say that anyone in the USA acquiring PW or squid routing while racing is almost certainly breaking RRS 41.., and if you plan to do it you should carefully read the SI's and look for an exception that permits it.

I went down the same path as you, I have up until now used Navionics, however they are getting a little behind the times. I wanted something that would overlay weather, tides, and if possible AIS from the cell network. iNAVx will do all of these things, but I couldn't justify the added cost because each of the functionalities I added requires re-occurring subscriptions. So for now I will continue to keep a lookout for ships, and check sailflow seperately on my phone.

"re-occurring subscriptions"?   I have iNaxX.   I was user #1.....  well #2 if you count the developer.   AIS support always came with it.   Don't use AIS delivered via a shoreside AIS server.   Use an AIS VHF and feed into iNavX.   It's doesn't cost anything and always works....  without cell coverage.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, solosailor said:

Use an AIS VHF and feed into iNavX.   It's doesn't cost anything and always works....  without cell coverage.  

Yes exactly. An AIS enabled VHF, fed to iNavX, is simple, reliable and inexpensive.

My hardware consists of an iPad with iNavX, a Garmin GPSMap 78s handheld which is hardwired and sits in a cradle on the little 'nav table', Standard Horizon Matrix gx2200, ShipModul 2wi multiplexer. With this setup we have chart plotter, redundant GPS receiver/chart plotter (both the Garmin and iPad can be a standalone plotter, Garmin is the normally master GPS and the iPad receives GPS from the Garmin, but iPad can receive GPS if the Garmin goes down), AIS receiver. And this is all put together for chump change compared to a 'typical' navigation system with similar capabilities.

There are many devices to take the serial feed from an AIS equipped radio (I also have the 2200) branded as marine products and usually cost $250+.   You can use an RS-422 to wifi adaptor from eBay/amazon for about $75 and it works great.  

There are a few things that really annoy me about INavX, but when i last compared a few year ago, it had much better waypoint and route handling than Navionics.

The INavX developer was at one time pretty responsive to suggestions and comments, but for the last few years it seems he just ignores them.

6 hours ago, solosailor said:

There are many devices to take the serial feed from an AIS equipped radio (I also have the 2200) branded as marine products and usually cost $250+.   You can use an RS-422 to wifi adaptor from eBay/amazon for about $75 and it works great.  

Yes that's absolutely true, there are tons of serial to wifi widgets out there for a lot less than a marine multiplexer. One thing I will say about ShipModul is the product is super well made, the software is excellent and product support top notch. I think there are some galvanic isolation things (whatever that is) that a proper marine product will have. If you send any tech questions to them the owner of the company, Meindert, who designs the products, will respond and he is incredibly helpful. He knows iNavX really well also. 

4 hours ago, us7070 said:

There are a few things that really annoy me about INavX, but when i last compared a few year ago, it had much better waypoint and route handling than Navionics.

The INavX developer was at one time pretty responsive to suggestions and comments, but for the last few years it seems he just ignores them.

INavX is trying to reach out more to the installed base and get your thoughts, it's one of the reasons I've been hired to get out into the forums for them and talk to the community.

I'd be happy to take questions here or in a separate thread and answer what I can and bring the rest to the developer.

Full Disclosure - this is @B.J. Porter running this account for iNavX here and on the CruisersForum, SailingForums and Sailboat Owners Forums. We don't really have an "Introductions" place at SA for me to mention that like I did at CruisersForum.com.

• Like 2

tell him to add "Project Waypoint" - last i checked it didn't have it

1) create a waypoint

2) select that waypoint

3) one option for selected waypoint is "Project Waypoint" or something similar

4) dialog box opens where you enter range and bearing from that waypoint to a new waypoint.., and the name of the new waypoint.

i know it has the graphical tool  but that actually  is really poor in practice.., for a variety of reasons...

15 minutes ago, us7070 said:

tell him to add "Project Waypoint" - last i checked it didn't have it

1) create a waypoint

2) select that waypoint

3) one option for selected waypoint is "Project Waypoint" or something similar

4) dialog box opens where you enter range and bearing from that waypoint to a new waypoint.., and the name of the new waypoint.

i know it has the graphical tool  but that actually  is really poor in practice.., for a variety of reasons...

Is this in the context of creating a route, or just creating a second waypoint relative to an existing one?

For example - if you've dropped a mark for the start line, and the RC tells you it's 1.7nm on a course of 187M to the windward mark and .5nm to the leeward mark you can plot it easily?

I can see the use for that.

I checked the other navigation software tools I have access to - MaxSea Timzero or OpenCPN - seem to do that, but I don't use them for racing. I'm trying to find an example of how it works to better describe it. My NavNet3 chart plotters don't have it either.

27 minutes ago, iNavX said:

Is this in the context of creating a route, or just creating a second waypoint relative to an existing one?

For example - if you've dropped a mark for the start line, and the RC tells you it's 1.7nm on a course of 187M to the windward mark and .5nm to the leeward mark you can plot it easily?

I can see the use for that.

I checked the other navigation software tools I have access to - MaxSea Timzero or OpenCPN - seem to do that, but I don't use them for racing. I'm trying to find an example of how it works to better describe it. My NavNet3 chart plotters don't have it either.

i think pretty much ever garmin handeheld has had it since they started making them..., so if you have one of those, probably it will have it

2 hours ago, us7070 said:

i think pretty much ever garmin handeheld has had it since they started making them..., so if you have one of those, probably it will have it

I'll go dig one out and have a look, thanks.

21 hours ago, us7070 said:

I found it, thanks.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:15 PM, sierrawhiskeygolf said:

Yes exactly. An AIS enabled VHF, fed to iNavX, is simple, reliable and inexpensive.

My hardware consists of an iPad with iNavX, a Garmin GPSMap 78s handheld which is hardwired and sits in a cradle on the little 'nav table', Standard Horizon Matrix gx2200, ShipModul 2wi multiplexer. With this setup we have chart plotter, redundant GPS receiver/chart plotter (both the Garmin and iPad can be a standalone plotter, Garmin is the normally master GPS and the iPad receives GPS from the Garmin, but iPad can receive GPS if the Garmin goes down), AIS receiver. And this is all put together for chump change compared to a 'typical' navigation system with similar capabilities.

Is the GPS reciever in the Garmin more precise than the built-in one in the iPad?

Mis,

I don't know about GPS precision iPad versus Garmin hand-held. The main reason for using the Garmin as the master GPS is to increase the battery life of the iPad, and this does increase it very significantly. I think with the iPad Location Services running our iPad (which is old and probably has a tired battery) we got something like 1-1.5 hour battery life. With the iPad getting the GPS data on WiFi from the Garmin it's at least 3x as long.

In our boat we have the iPad in a case and it floats back and forth - between a bracket down below where it sits and has a charge cable - and the cockpit. We put it below mostly when it needs to be charged or if there's nothing to look at for a while.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sierrawhiskeygolf said:

Mis,

I don't know about GPS precision iPad versus Garmin hand-held. The main reason for using the Garmin as the master GPS is to increase the battery life of the iPad, and this does increase it very significantly. I think with the iPad Location Services running our iPad (which is old and probably has a tired battery) we got something like 1-1.5 hour battery life. With the iPad getting the GPS data on WiFi from the Garmin it's at least 3x as long.

In our boat we have the iPad in a case and it floats back and forth - between a bracket down below where it sits and has a charge cable - and the cockpit. We put it below mostly when it needs to be charged or if there's nothing to look at for a while.

That's a very good point, thanks.

On 5/17/2020 at 5:14 PM, iNavX said:

I found it, thanks.

so - are they going to add this feature?

43 minutes ago, us7070 said:
On 5/18/2020 at 9:14 AM, iNavX said:

I found it, thanks.

so - are they going to add this feature?

We discussed it, and the reasons for it and why it's desirable.

I didn't get a commitment to adding it, I don't know what stage they are in the development cycle with regards to a next version or new features being planned, but I'll check.

16 minutes ago, iNavX said:

We discussed it, and the reasons for it and why it's desirable.

I didn't get a commitment to adding it, I don't know what stage they are in the development cycle with regards to a next version or new features being planned, but I'll check.

i asked them years ago for it...

but i think they think that the little graphical measuring tool is sufficient - it isn't.

first - you can't actually use it from a waypoint.., you can use it from a place adjacent to the waypoint, but not from the waypoint. When you are moving the other end of the graphical tool, it will not pan the map.., so if you want to measure to a place a few miles from the first waypoint, you need to be pretty zoomed out when you start. this means that when you select your starting point near the first waypoint.., you actually need to be pretty far from it or you will select the waypoint.., and if you do that the measuring tool won't activate. so - you end up with incorrect range and bearing. also, at the far end it is hard to get the new wayoint exactly at the end of the line - and the more zoomed out you are, the harder it is. 

it really is a crappy tool

explain that to them.

it needs to be set up so that the user can select a waypoint, and enter range and bearing from that waypoint - that is the only way to get a precisely located  new waypoint.

I've never been able to get iNavX (on my iPad) to see my Vesper XB-8000's AIS data.  I have the "how to" sheet from iNavX and have followed the steps multiple times without success.

I'll have "user #2" aboard in a few days and I'll see if he can look at it - but what's the best way to get help with this from iNavX?

On the 24 Moore I run expedition on a laptop and INavX on both an iPhone and iPad.  In bigger boats I just Remote Desktop from the iPhone to the laptop. 

17 hours ago, us7070 said:

When you are moving the other end of the graphical tool, it will not pan the map

This tiny feature is intensely annoying

I would also like the ability to use NMEA HDG data to project the blue line from the vessel's position rather than the orientation of the device - this has caused confusion on more than one occasion!

On 6/3/2020 at 9:10 AM, BobJ said:

I've never been able to get iNavX (on my iPad) to see my Vesper XB-8000's AIS data.  I have the "how to" sheet from iNavX and have followed the steps multiple times without success.

I'll have "user #2" aboard in a few days and I'll see if he can look at it - but what's the best way to get help with this from iNavX?

I've got that working on my boat with that exact setup. The support e-mail address should get you help, but since I am doing on my boat what you are trying to so, we can work through this together here, I think.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:45 AM, us7070 said:

i asked them years ago for it...

but i think they think that the little graphical measuring tool is sufficient - it isn't.

first - you can't actually use it from a waypoint.., you can use it from a place adjacent to the waypoint, but not from the waypoint. When you are moving the other end of the graphical tool, it will not pan the map.., so if you want to measure to a place a few miles from the first waypoint, you need to be pretty zoomed out when you start. this means that when you select your starting point near the first waypoint.., you actually need to be pretty far from it or you will select the waypoint.., and if you do that the measuring tool won't activate. so - you end up with incorrect range and bearing. also, at the far end it is hard to get the new wayoint exactly at the end of the line - and the more zoomed out you are, the harder it is. 

it really is a crappy tool

explain that to them.

it needs to be set up so that the user can select a waypoint, and enter range and bearing from that waypoint - that is the only way to get a precisely located  new waypoint.

The feature request is in the queue - the "roadmap" for future releases, if you will. They do not have any dates attached to that, as yet.

Let me get mine up and going and I'll screen shot some of the configuration pages. 

I have the XB-8000 connecting to my ship's main Wifi network rather than using it as an access point, and am connecting the iPad to the same Wifi I use to get to the net.

I'll sketch something up for you, though probablky not until tonight.

The first question is - do you get the other data to iNavX? Wind, depth, speed and the like which may be on the N2K network?

Let me know if you’ve done what I have, and we can figure this out.

My XB-8000 is plugged into my N2K backbone, and connected to my network, and NOT as an access point. I’ve also hard coded the IP address on my local network and flagged it in my router as such so it doesn’t get conflicted.

If you use the XB-8000 in Access Point mode, you don’t need to worry so much about that, I think. But if you have a ship’s WiFi network, I find it handier to have the XB-800 on that, rather than hosting it’s own network. 

This is from the Vesper Config tool.

436597107_annotation2020-06-04122232.png.0ef80a815011127ef1d3ab124d75abe8.png

On iNavX I’ve got the data set up and pointing to the correct IP address and port for the XB-8000 (192.168.10.225:39150). Make sure it’s also turned on. The green numbers and codes at the bottom should start spinning data from the N2K network if this is running OK.

1876715647_photojun04121925pm.thumb.png.582bdc1f20b1d70789823d1c1f47ef98.png

Finally, you need to set AIS to Display on the Chart settings page. There are two options that should be on, three if you want names not numbers.

792357407_photojun04121954pm.thumb.png.be99e602eadcb8a24c2a7b03b62ae168.png

Thanks BJ.

My settings in iNavX match yours but since I'm not on the boat I can't see the host address or the Vesper side of things.  Yes, I'm getting my N2K instrument data into iNavX, just not the AIS data.

I'd like to use the XB-8000's WiFi - that's part of the reason I bought it and I don't have another WiFi network.

How are you accessing that Vesper config tool?  I'm using their WatchMate app on my iPad and it doesn't look like that.

I hope to be at the boat on Friday (day job and all that!) and will get into all this.  I do appreciate your help.

20 hours ago, BobJ said:

Thanks BJ.

My settings in iNavX match yours but since I'm not on the boat I can't see the host address or the Vesper side of things.  Yes, I'm getting my N2K instrument data into iNavX, just not the AIS data.

I'd like to use the XB-8000's WiFi - that's part of the reason I bought it and I don't have another WiFi network.

How are you accessing that Vesper config tool?  I'm using their WatchMate app on my iPad and it doesn't look like that.

I hope to be at the boat on Friday (day job and all that!) and will get into all this.  I do appreciate your help.

The tool I’m using is on a Windows PC, not my phone. Update me when you get to the boat with what you’ve got. I’m in New Zealand at the moment, so if we time it right we can get some real time back and forth if you want to PM me.

I didn’t see the AIS immediately when I connected iNavX the first time, I had to go turn it on on the Chart Settings page. There is also AISLive which is internet based, I turned that off.

———

If anyone is curious...

I’ve got a more complex setup on board, with Furuno NavNet hardware which uses hardwired Ethernet networking and doesn’t want to be on the same net as the internet and doesn’t like WiFi. And we added an Iridium Go, which wants to be its own WiFi access point.  So that’s two networks.

Then there’s the regular ship’s network. We live on board, so I’ve got to set up something sensible for sharing the long range internet connection with the various devices on board, or whatever internet we’re using at the moment (I have a WiFi extender to hit shore stations from anchor0. We also use it for local file sharing, printing, and connecting to an on board media server.

So I have three legitimate networks, two of which are WiFi. So the idea of adding a fourth net for the Vesper AIS was crazy. I connected it to my main ship’s network (with the Internet) to repeat the data there. So anyone connecting the ship’s network with a tablet or PC can see the AIS & N2K data as well if they have the IP and port.

And yes, my main ship’s navigation PC is connected to three networks at once so MaxSea talks to the NavNet directly, I can use the Iridium Go, and I can use the regular network. And it’s plugged directly into the N2K network, and to NMEA0183 data for use with the SSB.

I was in IT in another life.

On 6/4/2020 at 3:31 PM, BobJ said:

There's a mini-USB connector on the XB-8000 for direct USB connection or you can connect a laptop to the Wifi.

I think to really change most of the configuration options you need to have their config tool for desktops. I did my initial configuration via USB, since I knew I'd be changing the default Wifi setup. Since the Wifi is settled I use that now.

https://www2.vespermarine.com/support/downloads

All good now BJ - thanks for the help.

I didn't change the settings one at a time so I can't be sure, but I think the "Link" button in iNavX wasn't staying on because the host address wasn't the same as what the XB-8000 was using.  For example, you're using 192.168.10.225 in iNavX but the XB-8000 was on 192.168.15.1.

It is much clearer seeing the AIS targets on the iNavX chart vs. switching back and forth between iNavX and Vesper's WatchMate screen.

I was an early user of GPSNavX, running it on a MacBook to race the Singlehanded TransPac in 2006.  Then I got MacENC and later, iNavX.  Good stuff Rich!

On 5/4/2020 at 4:16 AM, sierrawhiskeygolf said:

I use iNavX with Navionics charts for similar sailing. Coastal distance day racing, some overnight coastal racing. iNavX is pretty cheap as these things go. The Navionics charts costs more than the app I think and they are a must for iNavX in my opinion.

I don't have experience with weather routing in iNavX. We have used Squid and PredictWind beside iNavX, running on a laptop.

I'm going with iNavX when my current Navionics license runs out.

I'm curious about Squid vs. PW. Which do you prefer, and why?

16 hours ago, BobJ said:

All good now BJ - thanks for the help.

I didn't change the settings one at a time so I can't be sure, but I think the "Link" button in iNavX wasn't staying on because the host address wasn't the same as what the XB-8000 was using.  For example, you're using 192.168.10.225 in iNavX but the XB-8000 was on 192.168.15.1.

It is much clearer seeing the AIS targets on the iNavX chart vs. switching back and forth between iNavX and Vesper's WatchMate screen.

I was an early user of GPSNavX, running it on a MacBook to race the Singlehanded TransPac in 2006.  Then I got MacENC and later, iNavX.  Good stuff Rich!

Yeah, I changed my XB-8000 to connect it to an established network as just another device. That 192.168.15.1 address for yours tells me it's set up as the default access point.

Glad it's working.

i forget...

is there a way to have a raster chart displayed north up in inavx , if the actual chart is not north up?

many noaa charts are not north up

On 6/18/2020 at 5:26 AM, us7070 said:

i forget...

is there a way to have a raster chart displayed north up in inavx , if the actual chart is not north up?

many noaa charts are not north up

Good question. Do you have an example chart area I can take a look at?

I used Navionics for years, but got annoyed when it went to a subscription model and more annoyed when it couldn't make good use of the instrumentation available on my boat network.  I do think Navionics has a nice clean UI that is fairly easy to use, even for advanced features.

I switched to iNavX, but Navionics charts cost even more there!  Raster charts didn't automatically tile.  If they did I probably would have kept iNavX.

I ended up with SeaIQ USA.  It is really cheap ($5), has the iNavX features that I liked, does automatic tiling for US charts, and handles NMEA data very nicely.  

I'd buy any of these again if they copied the deepzoom.com tide/current views, including the multi-day time slider.  Those are so intuitive and easy to use and I've never seen a good plotter copy of them.  I use deepzoom a lot when doing route planning.

13 hours ago, iNavX said:

Good question. Do you have an example chart area I can take a look at?

NOAA Chart 12364, for example

in inavx, i can view heading/waypoint up.., or chart up

what i want is true north up

4 hours ago, us7070 said:

NOAA Chart 12364, for example

in inavx, i can view heading/waypoint up.., or chart up

what i want is true north up

I'll take a look at it.

I've been seeing iPads on top racing boats from Hugo Boss to Figaro 3's. I didn't see any laptops or or Windows tablets on Hugo so I don't think he's using remote desktop. Can anyone guess what apps he is using or is it something custom from Nokia? What about the Figaro's?

On 7/29/2020 at 9:17 AM, Houston said:

I've been seeing iPads on top racing boats from Hugo Boss to Figaro 3's. I didn't see any laptops or or Windows tablets on Hugo so I don't think he's using remote desktop. Can anyone guess what apps he is using or is it something custom from Nokia? What about the Figaro's?

They could be using the RDC app for iPad or Slapshot.  We've used both with Expedition on a TP52.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/remote-desktop-mobile/id714464092

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/splashtop-personal/id382509315

Interesting discussion here....

I have tried Navionics and INavX. To be honest I lean toward using Navionics just because it's what I'm used to. I will note that I think my use case is different depending on the type of sailing we are doing.

For cruising, transports, etc I only load up Navionics. For racing, I found both apps to be lacking the type of data I need. While racing I'm using Navionics for basic tracking and for depth references since a lot of our racing is around islands. Outside of that I do all our heavy lifting with IRegatta, alsthough I do frequently use the charting apps to set waypoints for a course and then export them into the racing apps.  If either app offered even some basic racing features it would be kind to my tablet's battery not having to go back and forth.

Things I find missing in both Navionics and INavX that would lock them in as a useful racing app...

1. In Navionics you cannot seem to build routes from stored waypoints. INavX?

2. No ability to add a waypoint on the fly into a route. For example setting a waypoint by heading and distance when a drop buoy is being used by race committee.

3. No layline / apparent wind info

4. No starting line features.

5. No performance trends boatspeed & header/lift trends.

6. Almost forgot this one...Next leg bearing!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 6:36 PM, iNavX said:

I'll take a look at it.

did u ever get any feedback from inavx on this or the project waypoint request?

On 8/13/2020 at 3:20 AM, us7070 said:
On 7/1/2020 at 10:36 AM, iNavX said:

I'll take a look at it.

did u ever get any feedback from inavx on this or the project waypoint request?

The waypoint request stuff has been added to the development queue, but there's no date or anything. So it's in there as a feature request but I can't tell you much more specific than that.

The other, I've not duplicated it yet to be able to describe it. That chart is in a few different pieces, and I looked at a few in the area but didn't see what you were talking about. I meant to ask you for a more specific location, but I see it now.

I've not discussed that yet, since I just duplicated it. I'll pass it on.

File Aug 17, 11 48 09 PM.jpeg

On 8/17/2020 at 7:50 AM, iNavX said:

added to the development queue

sounds like they're not that interested...

Nick White regularly turns out new versions overnight for trivial requests like that one.

I realize dealing with the app store adds a bit of time, but you won't convince me the inavx guy gives a damn...

@iNavX something I haven’t seen on any app is the ability to change size and location of data fields. Even on my 12.9” iPad Pro, I can’t read the data fields because they are too small. I’d also like to be able to move them to the side and display them vertically rather than across the top.

On 8/25/2020 at 2:09 AM, us7070 said:

sounds like they're not that interested...

Nick White regularly turns out new versions overnight for trivial requests like that one.

I realize dealing with the app store adds a bit of time, but you won't convince me the inavx guy gives a damn...

I'm not involved in the development side of things, so I can't really tell you what they have in the pipeline, where they are with new features, what features are frozen into releases, what the schedule is for them, etc.

My contact is the head of the company, and I pass things on to him and discuss these topics with him. I'm not talking to coders or anything like that.

In our discussion on this one, he told me he understood the feature, but it wasn't something that would get into the next planned release as they'd already had stuff queued up for it. I'd not be surprised to see it in a later release, but at this point it's beyond a horizon with a date they can commit to.

So when they are planning new feature sets beyond the currently planned one, this is on the list for consideration.

On 8/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, Alaris said:

@iNavX something I haven’t seen on any app is the ability to change size and location of data fields. Even on my 12.9” iPad Pro, I can’t read the data fields because they are too small. I’d also like to be able to move them to the side and display them vertically rather than across the top.

Putting the ribbon on the side would be nice.

That screenshot in post 52 above is from my 9.7" iPad Pro. Are the numbers proportionally the same in that than on yours, relatively speaking?

I'm wondering if there is some sort of scaling issue, as I have no problem reading them, even from a ways away. If they are a fixed pixel height, then if you have more pixels they will be smaller?

With glasses, of course...without readers up close I couldn't read it if it was a foot from my face.

5 hours ago, iNavX said:

Putting the ribbon on the side would be nice.

That screenshot in post 52 above is from my 9.7" iPad Pro. Are the numbers proportionally the same in that than on yours, relatively speaking?

I'm wondering if there is some sort of scaling issue, as I have no problem reading them, even from a ways away. If they are a fixed pixel height, then if you have more pixels they will be smaller?

With glasses, of course...without readers up close I couldn't read it if it was a foot from my face.

I think you may be on to something. I’ll try to remember to take a photo when I’m out next. 

Other ribbon wish list items: reorganize the fields in any order, and in keeping with the above maybe just a scaling option. If I want to have my only fields be BTW and DTW and want them to be an inch tall, it would be awesome to make the fields almost like a widget to do this. Finally stop the wind instruments from saying 070° Port and 070° Starboard because when the wind is shifty or you’re motoring and it is all over the place, that shift between port/starboard changes the width of the fields and thus moves all subsequent fields constantly. P/S seems an elegant solution (could even put an option in the menu for those who prefer it written out).

8B55938B-8608-40E3-8CF8-B2E7B198F742.thumb.jpeg.41a7619054b6f6db1960db8e6078a265.jpeg

As you can see the fields are quite small on the big iPad Pro.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:16 AM, Alaris said:

8B55938B-8608-40E3-8CF8-B2E7B198F742.thumb.jpeg.41a7619054b6f6db1960db8e6078a265.jpeg

As you can see the fields are quite small on the big iPad Pro.

They look pretty similar to mine, which would look small on that one. Especially if it was further from your face.

Can you upload a screenshot here?  Simultaneously push the home button and top (power) button to get the screenshot.

With a shot from yours I can more accurately compare it to my 9.7" iPad.

18 hours ago, iNavX said:

They look pretty similar to mine, which would look small on that one. Especially if it was further from your face.

Can you upload a screenshot here?  Simultaneously push the home button and top (power) button to get the screenshot.

With a shot from yours I can more accurately compare it to my 9.7" iPad.

A1EACBBE-391D-4147-A935-2B9D514207AF.thumb.png.2b9789146575bd39951eb7f84f5a54ee.png

On 5/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, solosailor said:

actually, that depends on the race and the race committee. it also depends on when I do my routing. for certain races, if I were in the middle of the race and went to the pw site and re-downloaded my routes, then I would agree - in most cases I would be violating the rules of racing. 

For instance, here is the wording from the Bermuda 1-2 in the 2019 NOR (emphasis mine):

12.7. It will be deemed a violation of The Racing Rules of Sailing Rule 2 (Fair Sailing) and Rule 41 (Outside Help) for any yacht to receive exclusive, private or subscribed interpreted information on weather, currents (including Gulf Stream reports), or favorable course routing after the preparatory signal for her class.

12.7.1. Examples of activities not allowed are; (a) Contact via email, satellite phone, blogs, etc. with routing information from friends, family, etc., and (b) Various routing services via long distance communication.

12.7.2. Examples of allowed services are publicly accessible websites as well as subscription services like Ocens and Predict Wind where they just package the raw data but do not interpret it for you.

I would interpret that to mean that I could use any means I wanted - and several sailors do - before the prep signal. Afterwards, as you point out I'm restricted to freely available gribs, and if I wanted to do routing based on the updated files, I would have to use inavx or expedition or something similar.

• Like 1