LarryE

Boats leaving USVI

50 boats leaving USVI for Fl. non stop.

Leaving AM tomorrow.

Wow.  Safe travels for all of them. Are they leaving because of hurricane season? Booted out?

Wonder if my old Express 37, Zipporah, that was in the NYT is part of that.  Owner told me he was heading to the Chesapeake single handed.  Safe travels to all.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Wow.  Safe travels for all of them. Are they leaving because of hurricane season? Booted out?

Both.

Pretty sure a buddy of mine is on one of those boats. 

It's a nice sail if the weather cooperates. Lots of beam/broad reaching.

Until you cross the Gulf Stream of course - then it's interesting. Oh, just realised it will likely be the longest trip many will have made, especially if they hopped down the US coast to get to the Caribbean. For those that did the Caribbean 1500 it should be a nicer trip.

On 5/2/2020 at 6:10 PM, LarryE said:

Both.

Just curious-  How does the USVI evict US citizens? Or were these folks from other places? Or was this an unusual exercise of local authority due to the pandemic?

And it's probably people recognising hurricane season is coming, and time to get out of Dodge.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:34 PM, zenmasterfred said:

Wonder if my old Express 37, Zipporah, that was in the NYT is part of that.  Owner told me he was heading to the Chesapeake single handed.  Safe travels to all.

He's here, helped him with a couple projects to be ready to go soon.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Zonker said:

And it's probably people recognising hurricane season is coming, and time to get out of Dodge.

As you said, the season is quickly approaching and the islands to the south remain closed.  We'll leave later this month for Charleston.  Not sure what we'll find open on the East Coast but it's currently the only option we're comfortable with.

Edited by Bryanjb
Spelling

On 5/2/2020 at 6:10 PM, LarryE said:

Both.

There are a few staying.  They plan on sailing south as hurricanes approach then return back to the USVI's when it's clear. I'm not aware of anyone getting booted out.

• Like 1

It would have been interesting to watch the tracks if the boats all had trackers like the Bermuda races.

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

It would have been interesting to watch the tracks if the boats all had trackers like the Bermuda races.

There is a tracker for the boats that "signed-up".  It's on the Salty Dawg site.

• Like 1

Really crappy weather, in the Florida straights, Saturday night and Sunday.

5 to 8 inches forecast and possibly windy.

I'm sure they are watching the weather  

Yeah, anyone going up the Florida coast is having a fun day today. 

Is this wx pattern uncommon?  If seems that the normal route south at Long 65 would be a windward slog and a run for boats further west.  

Hypothetically if u were leaving NY for south america or Aruba today, how would you go? How risky is the Atlantic this time of year?

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Hey, this is great!  SeaYa and Quetzal look like they're having an upwind slog. The bulk of the boats are either getting the wind over their shoulder or light air along Hispaniola.

Quetzal, John Kretchmer's boat, is bound for the Chesapeake.

Quetzel is at the dock having dinner with friends, not sure where Sea Ya is but probably ashore somewhere now.

17 hours ago, Student_Driver said:

Is this wx pattern uncommon?  If seems that the normal route south at Long 65 would be a windward slog and a run for boats further west.  

Hypothetically if u were leaving NY for south america or Aruba today, how would you go? How risky is the Atlantic this time of year?

Winter storms are trending down and hurricanes are not started yet, so May is usually considered a safe month to be out there. That said, as you can see right now, it is certainly possible to get robust winter-like fronts through in May. I am not sure I have hard data on it, but the gap in the fall between tropical storms and winter storms seems to have narrowed considerably. Not sure about spring.

Parallax had a hydraulic steering line burst 20 miles out of Culebra and turned back.

Typical journalistic hype and drama. 

Yeah, hurricane season is technically starting but there are no storms or systems out there. No one's racing anything but the insurance calendar.

Last flotilla scheduled to leave 5/20, so not good news.

No problem Alex I think this more about the people that had no intention of leaving the VI's.  They are now not welcome guest.  As they describe getting supplies is always more difficult there, it just got harder.  Now moving boats with limited crew and limited re guard for conditions.  Using a calendar is never a recommended guide to moving a boat.  

More of the impact of the Chinese Bat Soup Flu Pandemic! 

Supplies are abundant in the USVI'S, there are no tourists here.  The pipeline was filled long ago to accommodate them.

We plan on leaving the 20th plus or minus for Charleston.  We're not worried about Arthur, it is moving north, it's more of a problem for those that left on the tenth. I hope they are watching, it looks like some are, a few are making left hand turns to avoid it.

Since 2012, May has seen hurricanes every year but one.  We, like many others, need to be out of the box by July 1st.

Many of us are staged on St Thomas for final provisioning and preparations.  We're looking forward to the sail and hope it's a quick and easy passage.

Things are good here, it's a great community and the USVI's have been accommodating.

Didn't know about Parallax, bummer that they had an issue.  They were one of the few boats we chatted with on the way down.  The conversation was how far East do we go to find the trade winds.  We went to 59 w, I then they went further then we did.

He had quite a time getting things under control and back to Culebra. Doing a lot of cleanup now and will probably join you on the 20th or so. Hope it goes well.

We're at Yacht Haven Charlotte Amalie for final provisioning, I can see Paralax in the harbor.  He probably had to come here for repair, can't imagine there is any repair shops in Culebra.  Cool looking boat.

....or head south.....Grenada now has protocols in place to accept pleasure vessels for the Hurricane season.  Still closed, but everything has been approved to allow cruisers entry for the season.

Grenada Yacht Entry Protocol - Official Release - p1.jpeg

Grenada Yacht Entry Protocol - Official Release p2.jpeg

Could not see any yachts in the area on boat finder but I don’t have a subscription to the satellite data.  Does AIS show any yachts in harms way?

Salty Dawg has a tracker:   https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/rally/SDSA-Homeward-Bound-Flotilla/

On 5/15/2020 at 5:42 AM, Bryanjb said:

We're at Yacht Haven Charlotte Amalie for final provisioning, I can see Paralax in the harbor.  He probably had to come here for repair, can't imagine there is any repair shops in Culebra.  Cool looking boat.

Ocean Cat 49. He had a copper hydraulic steering line chafe through. No, not much in Culebra. Still on for 5/20?

Looks like no one was dumb enough or unlucky enough to be on the wrong side of this storm. In this case it is opposite of normal, you want to be on the stronger side with the southerly wind. Looks like a couple of boats are getting a real nice kick from behind,  they just need to avoid kicked right on into Hatteras!

storm1.jpg

4 hours ago, jdazey said:

Ocean Cat 49. He had a copper hydraulic steering line chafe through. No, not much in Culebra. Still on for 5/20?

Probably not.  There's a second low that would meet us as we enter the gulf stream on the 27th.  A 30 knot NE breeze in that spot doesn't seem like it would be as much fun as waiting a couple more days while anchored in Magen's Bay.  We'll watch and make a decision on the 20th.

We're retired so have no schedule.