Sign in to follow this  
Rvatrundler

Edson Pedestal Shaft removal and bearing replacement- Help needed

Howdy all ,

I have a pedestal that is 28" tall, aluminum and was pulled off a 1963 luder 44.

The pedestal is stamped 1985. And has A "0" stamped on the sprocket section. 

First question: How do you remove the shaft to replace the bearings

Second question: where do I get replacement bearings?

The shaft has a lot of play in it due to the bearings but wont budge as is. There has to be a keyway, locknut or washer or something. Or I need to break out the torch and sledgehammer

Let me know what you all think. 

Note: the ears have been re welded and filled to be re drilled and tapped for a more sturdy compass mounting.

Thanks

IMG_20200502_180455.jpg

IMG_20200502_180502.jpg

IMG_20200502_180505.jpg

IMG_20200502_180507.jpg

IMG_20200502_180513.jpg

IIRC there are a pair of set screws in the bronze sprocket hub (one on top of the other) That should be all that's holding the shaft. But I don't think I've ever worked on one that has that 'ring' collar (just inside that rusty tapered bearing. And where did that bearing live?

The people who had the boat before me tried to use a tapered wheel instead of a strait  1"hub by using that rusty bearing and crainking on the nut... Haven't broken it off the shaft yet. The Collar I am unfamiliar with as well but appears to be removable. I haven't located any set screws in the bronze sprocket piece but will look again in the morning. 

thanks for your reply!

That looks like a edson 335 pedestal was there a pin through the shaft and gear that is what holds it together some times there is corrosion that holds it.edson has a exploded view of it and a rebuild kit for it    https://youtu.be/ziPLzfNCXXg

Thanks Welder, There was a pin through the shaft and sprocket section. 

There does not appear to be any set screws located anywhere that I have missed. It looks alot like a 335 but there are some minor differences as well couldnt find any nylon lock washers to align and the typical V is a 0. Also watched the video you linked always a fun deep breath when goin through or under a bridge. 

The bearings and shaft may just be frozen and corroded in place but we will see after I play with some heat and beat.

I thought the shaft (mine is a little different) was retained by those two innermost screws. Your's look sheared off??

Edson has pretty good support. And the bushings are simple enough that any machinist might make them.

My 1991 Edson post uses bronze sleeve bearings lubricated through the small hole on centerline in each block. If I understand your situation properly and the shaft is frozen in the bearings, I wonder if you can free it up with some penetrating oil in each hole followed by some grease to flush it out.

sprayed some pb blaster in the grease holes, no bolts sheared off in the disassembly.

Thanks everyone for the input, keep em coming. Ill try anything. 

5 minutes ago, Rvatrundler said:

sprayed some pb blaster in the grease holes, no bolts sheared off in the disassembly.

Heh. Okay, good. Maybe mine are just grease holes plugged with a screw. Just like me to not be paying full attention while working. Good luck in your project.

I took mine apart of about the same vintage, but forget many of the details. It looks like sprocket is held from rotation on the shaft by the pin which you have removed. There cannot be a keyway as there would be no way to assemble or disassemble it (unless the keyway went to the end of the shaft, in which case it would be running in the forward bearing - so unlikely there is a keyway). I do recall mine requiring a bit of force to remove due to filth and corrosion. I'd try a slide hammer on the wheel end, gently at first but it may take some force. There bay be a shoulder worn in the shaft at the aft bearing, this shoulder will remove the aft bearing at the same time, but you wanted it out anyway. 

There is a key in the shaft for the bronze gear also there should be a plastic washer on each side of the gear you have to lineup the slot in the washer to get it by the key just on the wheel side .there are roller bearing in the housing

Thanks everyone, the update.... It is an older model with no bearings but some brass/bronze bushings in place of bearings. It is at a machine shop being pressed out and they are making new bushings. Still may be cheaper than finding another used one here in Hampton, Va. We will see. 

Another task getting marked off on the Luder 44 restoration

2 hours ago, Rvatrundler said:

It is at a machine shop being pressed out and they are making new bushings. Still may be cheaper than finding another used one here in Hampton, Va. We will see.

Keep in mind that yours will essentially be new while "another used one" would just be less worn out.