Port Wine

Modern dinghy for Thursday night PHRF

Even before social distancing, I was considering a single handed boat for low key Thursday night racing. Would a  Melges 14 or Aero be competitive against a mixed fleet of Lightning, Flying Scott, Capri 25, Colgate 26, and S2 7.9 flying spinnakers? Perhaps an occasional Finn.  In light air the keelboats tend to dominate the centerboard boats, but in 10-15, the Lightning is hard to beat. Courses are 2-3 miles, typical starting off a pier, 1/2 mile reach to turning mark, upwind 1 mile and return. Thoughts?

You're always going to have a tough time when near boats like a Capri 25, Colgate 26...etc.  Their rigs are so much bigger that they will cover your breeze quickly. You need to be aggressive getting to the line and keeping your air clear.  Otherwise, either of those choices should be a lot of fun.  Personally I would choose the Melges 14 because I'm 6'3" and it appears to be more comfortable for a bigger person. I tried the Aero and it was light air and if I sneezed it rocked and rolled.  I'd love to try both in good breeze.

Our local Aero uses either 7 or 9 rig for the conditions and always beats its handicap over Scotts, S2 6.9s, 7.9s and the like. On the other hand, in a light air weekend series,  both Melges 14s easily beat the Aero 9. Full battens kept the sail shape.

Height/Weight, Budget? Either could be good, might also consider a VX Evo if you want to have the option of putting up a kite.

30 minutes ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

Height/Weight, Budget? Either could be good, might also consider a VX Evo if you want to have the option of putting up a kite.

5'8'', 190 lbs, $10k. The M14 or Aero are more plentiful and likely have a better resale value down the road. I have sailed both and like them. Not too sure where the Evo is heading. 

1 hour ago, sailwriter said:

Our local Aero uses either 7 or 9 rig for the conditions and always beats its handicap over Scotts, S2 6.9s, 7.9s and the like. On the other hand, in a light air weekend series,  both Melges 14s easily beat the Aero 9. Full battens kept the sail shape.

Thanks! So basically, it looks like the boat would not be the limiting factor, but rather my sailing. This is just a fun night after work with a bunch of decent but low key sailors. 

Pick the boat you like and ignore the numbers when the results email comes out next week.

• Like 2

The Aero-9 is a light air weapon and the boat is extremely well built.  Also extremely light and you will really appreciate it when pulling it up the beach on a dolly.

I think the report that World Sailing did last year speaks in volumes of stats between the boats.

https://members.sailing.org/tools/documents/EQCSP4biiiMenWomenOnePersonDinghy-[24944].pdf

This resulted in the equipment selection committee overwhelmingly suggesting the RS Aero as the next Olympic singlehander.

We can't say that we're happy or not that it didn't get through final selection, there is a lot that comes along with being an Olympic Class. That doesn't change that it is a great boat and there is a reason all the Aero owners love their boats!

I've even got two very lightly used demo boats in Florida if anyone is interested.

Feel free to shoot me a message, or email at todd@rssailing.com if you want to try one.

21 hours ago, RSsailingNA said:

I think the report that World Sailing did last year speaks in volumes of stats between the boats.

https://members.sailing.org/tools/documents/EQCSP4biiiMenWomenOnePersonDinghy-[24944].pdf

This resulted in the equipment selection committee overwhelmingly suggesting the RS Aero as the next Olympic singlehander.

We can't say that we're happy or not that it didn't get through final selection, there is a lot that comes along with being an Olympic Class. That doesn't change that it is a great boat and there is a reason all the Aero owners love their boats!

I've even got two very lightly used demo boats in Florida if anyone is interested.

Feel free to shoot me a message, or email at todd@rssailing.com if you want to try one.

Boy, is there! The 470 used to be a popular, fun class. If I were an Aero class owner, I would fight hard to keep it from being an Olympic class!

FB- Doug

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 10:59 PM, Dex Sawash said:

Pick the boat you like and ignore the numbers when the results email comes out next week.

now you're talking