cbulger

Great 35-footers

2 hours ago, Rude Dog said:

I was wondering if anyone noticed.....yes- Jim's designs always are incredibly good-looking.  Besides having a huge brain, he is a gifted artist, and you see this in all his designs.   But it sure is expensive to build a custom sailboat.  In looking into it, I could not find a way to have it built for less than $300,000- including sails, electronics, commissioning, etc.   Even though my business was doing well, divorce and alimony payments squashed my plans!  It would be so cool if someone else commissioned a build of this design.  Knowing what I now know, I'd be asking Jim for a modification: carry the maximum beam all the way aft, add a sprit and change to twin rudders.  With that.....perfection!

Shuffle jibing an asymmetrical off a pole is a pain in the ass.

1 hour ago, Irish River said:

And most Dashes in pnw and BC have a sweetheart rating. The melges rating finally got corrected a bit. But some of the best sailors in pnw are playing in OD these days. WIRW phrf  is nothing like it used to be. 

There was a Dash back in early 2000s and wiped the floor with it at WIRW.  Jason Rhodes maybe? Or Ross MacDonald, I can't remember. 

Agreed.  WIRW is a shadow of it's former self.  Back in '90 we had 38 boats in our Div

But still, Mad Dash scored consecutive bullets against the likes of Here & Now (J/29) and Gaucho (Ross 930), both of which are perennial top performers in PNW.

The Dash from the early 2000s could have been either Karma (Jason) or Vaca Loca (Ross) since they both had Dash 34's around that time.

Of course, having either of those two driving would make the rating appear soft.  And the numbers for the Dash also make it look soft.  When they first came out back around '81 they had a much faster rating but none could sail to it (which could probably be explained away as operator error since few around here knew how to sail a light weight frac at the time).  By the mid 80's they settled into the rating they have today.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:45 AM, Meat Wad said:

Kirby 30 would be a great boat for SD. Roomy, fast and a great rating.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:22 AM, 12 metre said:

Okay boat, but only if it is the tall rig version.  Regular version sticky in the light stuff.  

Over 10 ft beam anyway.

Interior wise, the Kirby makes the Dash seem like a Swan in comparison.

Performance wise, a base Dash is a bit sticky downwind in the light stuff (which is pretty common of most NZ designs of that era), but the results speak for themselves.

At the last two iterations of WIRW, Mad Dash (hull No. 1) with a 105 rating (so mildly turboed ) has scored 13 consecutive bullets against the likes of Melges 24s and J/29s, which is possibly a record for such a PHRF event.

WIRW 2018 results: https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=4546

WIRW 2019 results: https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=6142

So yeah, I would go for a Dash 34 over a Kirby 30 any day.

I just realized I forgot about the Ross 930 which has only 9.25 ft beam and a very decent interior especially the aft head version IMO.  Better choice than the Dash actually, but needs some turboing as well, although most of them come with genoas now and oversized kites.

Never seen a dash up close. We have a Kirby 30 in our area and we rate b4b (135) with my zap 26. If he had my crew, the 30 would beat us up wind. And it usually blows good for our beer can races.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:58 AM, hard aground said:

I'm a bit particular to our C&C 35 mk1. Only thing I don't love is the split cockpit.

I'm right there with you. I'd own 3+ if I could figure out how to store them. Simply the world's greatest boat. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, @last said:

Thanks for sharing, I don't think I have ever seen a Donovan design that wasn't truly beautiful.

Donovan looks a lot like the Mumm 36 with a mast head kite.   Good looking boat.   Did one ever get built?

Pity about the 10 foot beam as there is only one to rule them all!

Unknown-7.jpeg

Unknown-8.jpeg

9 hours ago, lydia said:

Unknown-7.jpeg

Unknown-8.jpeg

What is it? 

11 hours ago, lydia said:

Unknown-7.jpeg

Unknown-8.jpeg

Can we have some larger pictures than post stamp sized?

• Like 1

Here it is in video form...

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, Irish River said:

And most Dashes in pnw and BC have a sweetheart rating. The melges rating finally got corrected a bit. But some of the best sailors in pnw are playing in OD these days. WIRW phrf  is nothing like it used to be. 

There was a Dash back in early 2000s and wiped the floor with it at WIRW.  Jason Rhodes maybe? Or Ross MacDonald, I can't remember. 

Well, there was the Absolute Kaos owned by Reigh North of RVYC. Pretty turbo'd though. Optical Illusion did well and won the VanIsle series for the year last year. I'm not sure it was a sweetheart rating and I raced on a lot of them. It took a while to get them dialed up and get them unphuqued. The original ones had the grids go on them with a very little grounding etc.  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 11:50 AM, Code 2 said:

What is it?

I was racing with Jonathan McKee when he built the first one. I was back & forth from Vancouver & Seattle and when he got it I had the ask wtf a Riptide was? Pretty stupid for me! Ended up cruising with them in Desolation etc. I had the honour of racing on his Riptide 44 "Dark Star" too. 

On 5/11/2020 at 2:02 PM, lydia said:

Unknown-7.jpeg

Unknown-8.jpeg

Hard to argue, but prefer the Elliott 11.

large-Elliott9-custom-design-cruiser-rac

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 11:29 AM, Bulga Naba said:

I can't look at the E35 without first hearing the whispers in the background of the name Dr. John Holiday.  Growing up in the Long Beach Yacht Club days, you would cringe if he was in your class in any distance race.  Didn't Mark Spitz have the Slow Erickson One Tonner?  BTW.  Scott & Justin.  This was extremely well done with perhaps the same expectations that Spackler had.  BTW2 - At that rating, I would still say the CF-27 was the boat to beat in PHRF; back in the day, and even now. Try to not get eaten by a Shark Sandwich

Wow, that brings back a memory. Some long-forgotten race from MDR to Cat Harbor on my family's E-35 (which we still own) when I was a kid mid-'70s. We were the only boat to bring an inflatable. A whole bunch of race boats on moorings in Cat Harbor, all with thirsty crews, and no way to get to shore to trek across the Isthmus to the bar. Us kids got the idea to take people in for $1/head, knowing we could charge $10/head to get them back out at midnight when the bar closed.  You're probably thinking we should have charged $20 or $50, but that was a lot of money for a kid in the '70s, especially just for rowing around, which is probably what we would have been doing anyway. Mark Spitz was there in his 36' (wasn't an Ericson if I remember correctly). He didn't want to pay $1. Really? We stood firm... (actually sat firm in the inflatable bobbing next to his boat). He turned around and looked at the shore, spied a dingy pulled up on Ballast point, pointed to one of his crew, and said "you, swim and get that dingy". The guy did it. I don't remember if we took them back out at midnight, but I would like to think we had the last laugh....

Why get a Cal 40 when you can get a Lapworth 36? Less expensive initial and running costs, 9'6" beam, competitive PHRF racing, comfortable cruising boat for coastal, islands, Mexico or further, no bad habits and pretty!

IMG_0585.JPG

On 5/9/2020 at 11:50 AM, Code 2 said:

What is it?

I was racing with Jonathan McKee when he built the first one. I was back & forth from Vancouver & Seattle and when he got it I had the ask wtf a Riptide was? Pretty stupid for me! Ended up cruising with them in Desolation etc. I had the honour of racing on his Riptide 44 "Dark Star" too. 

On 5/7/2020 at 11:29 AM, Bulga Naba said:

I can't look at the E35 without first hearing the whispers in the background of the name Dr. John Holiday.  Growing up in the Long Beach Yacht Club days, you would cringe if he was in your class in any distance race.  Didn't Mark Spitz have the Slow Erickson One Tonner?  BTW.  Scott & Justin.  This was extremely well done with perhaps the same expectations that Spackler had.  BTW2 - At that rating, I would still say the CF-27 was the boat to beat in PHRF; back in the day, and even now. Try to not get eaten by a Shark Sandwich

I remember racing on one of these against Aquarius, even beat them a few times, not on my account I was just a dumb kid. Still remember trying to buoy race  with the double head rig and thinking who was the idiot sailmaker that ever decided that it was a good idea. Absolutely miserable to tack. They like the light air but sure not a breeze, way slow by any modern standard but probably rate well with a rating that'll never change. Another Bruce King effort to get the shortest possible waterline for a given overall length. The good old days.

13 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

1D35?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjfV-nZjlraLhYh9bhLwo

sailed those a bunch back home, love em. need some weight on the rail for sure going up wind but the haul ass downwind, especially if they've been turbo'd. shame that so many of them have the same issues that plague so many carroll built boats. 

26 minutes ago, frozenhawaiian said:

sailed those a bunch back home, love em. need some weight on the rail for sure going up wind but the haul ass downwind, especially if they've been turbo'd. shame that so many of them have the same issues that plague so many carroll built boats. 

It will buff out :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgcgT9TpQ81a1QPpaCmiW

Just now, The Dark Knight said:

It will buff out :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgcgT9TpQ81a1QPpaCmiW

sigh, I rest my case. a friend of mine looked at one here in portland maine, before the surveyor got much into the survey he just checked a handful of spots around the hull with his moisture meter and the meter maxed out. he assessment to my friend was "this thing is a water balloon" if it wasn't for the fucked upcarroll marine build quality the 1D35 would be high on my list of sub 40ft and sub $100k boats to take racing. the mumm 36 is up there for me too, you can find them for a good bargain just buy one that wasn't built by carroll. 

4 minutes ago, frozenhawaiian said:

sigh, I rest my case. a friend of mine looked at one here in portland maine, before the surveyor got much into the survey he just checked a handful of spots around the hull with his moisture meter and the meter maxed out. he assessment to my friend was "this thing is a water balloon" if it wasn't for the fucked upcarroll marine build quality the 1D35 would be high on my list of sub 40ft and sub $100k boats to take racing. the mumm 36 is up there for me too, you can find them for a good bargain just buy one that wasn't built by carroll. 

Looked at a Cookson built Mumm 36. Was in stunning condition for a 27 year old racer.

It sounds like the Carroll issue with the 1D35 is “cosmetic”, all be it expensive, rather than structural at least. 

11 hours ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

Spitz owned a J 36.  There were at least 3 (Jest, Greyhound & Spitz) in MDR back then 

J-36 must have been his '80s boat. A big improvement over his '70s boat (when we were racing the E-35), which was a Standfast 36 (Franz Maas one tonner). We called it a Standstill 36...a bit under canvased for SoCal... 

We need to start a new thread: "Who has sailed with Mark Spitz?"

What an asshole! I remember him telling an Olympic sailing medalist how to trim and call tactics. Fuck! Just shut up already!

And his boat name? Double Fuck! "Sumark 7" because, "My wife's name is Sue, my name is Mark, and I won 7 gold medals!" Allrighty, then!

17 hours ago, Borax Johnson said:

Had a Contessa 35. Bullet. Proof.  Boat. And h r big siste the 43. 

nothing wrong with a 28 or a 32 either...

19 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Looked at a Cookson built Mumm 36. Was in stunning condition for a 27 year old racer.

It sounds like the Carroll issue with the 1D35 is “cosmetic”, all be it expensive, rather than structural at least. 

the number of 1D35's that have ended up withering in backyards and in the back corners with soaking wet cores and hull delam would lead me to draw the conclusion that it was more than just cosmetic issues with them. I'm not saying that carroll fucked up all of them, but a lot of them developed issues that boats their size and age really shouldn't have. the carroll built farr 395's had a lot of issues as well. 

1 hour ago, frozenhawaiian said:

the number of 1D35's that have ended up withering in backyards and in the back corners with soaking wet cores and hull delam would lead me to draw the conclusion that it was more than just cosmetic issues with them. I'm not saying that carroll fucked up all of them, but a lot of them developed issues that boats their size and age really shouldn't have. the carroll built farr 395's had a lot of issues as well. 

There is no "core" on hulls like you get with decks.

See this thread....

If the Gelcoat falls of I wouldn´t be frightened. It is parasitic weight anyway. The laminates seem intact. Give it a good sanding (all the crew!!) and than let someone professional give it a nice paint job in a paint booth.

I agree. It isn't good, but if you can pick the boat up for a good price just beat the gelcoat off and give the thing a proper fill, fair and paint. Will be a better boat in the end. It is only cosmetic.

I'm pretty sure the 1D's where Gelcoat with an epoxy laminated laminate. Not sure what was put in but usually when you do an epoxy laminate over gelcoat you laminate 2 layers of CSM/CFM 225 with Vinylester resin. Epoxy sticks to Vinylester if done right and the vinylester will stick to Gelcoat- Epoxy on the other hand won't stick to gelcoat.

The 1D35 appears that it should deserve a place in the great 35 footers based on everything except it's build.

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

The 1D35 appears that it should deserve a place in the great 35 footers based on everything except it's build.

Maybe.... and the ID35 was a sweet design and good looking - But that is one hell of a qualification/characteristic to allow omission of.

If we don't care for build quality or proper engineering choices, then that would allow a whole load of "Should'a, Would'a, Could'a" contenders to vye for status that is undeserved or unwarranted. 

e.g. Bit like saying One Australia was the fastest IACC yacht of its generation........ that Tag Heuer was the Fastest Monohull to never circle the globe.........  or Team Philips was gonna teach the Froggies a lesson that they would not forget......... etc, etc.

49 minutes ago, Boink said:

Maybe.... and the ID35 was a sweet design and good looking - But that is one hell of a qualification/characteristic to allow omission of.

If we don't care for build quality or proper engineering choices, then that would allow a whole load of "Should'a, Would'a, Could'a" contenders to vye for status that is undeserved or unwarranted. 

e.g. Bit like saying One Australia was the fastest IACC yacht of its generation........ that Tag Heuer was the Fastest Monohull to never circle the globe.........  or Team Philips was gonna teach the Froggies a lesson that they would not forget......... etc, etc.

One Australia was a great AC boat. Name another AC boat that was both a mono hull and multi hull?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

One Australia was a great AC boat. Name another AC boat that was both a mono hull and multi hull?

I can't....... Offhand.

But you might argue Artemis was a Multihull that became 2 Monohulls.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boink said:

I can't....... Offhand.

But you might argue Artemis was a Multihull that became 2 Monohulls.........

Ok, that is impressive.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:22 AM, 12 metre said:

So yeah, I would go for a Dash 34 over a Kirby 30 any day.

I just realized I forgot about the Ross 930 which has only 9.25 ft beam and a very decent interior especially the aft head version IMO.  Better choice than the Dash actually, but needs some turboing as well, although most of them come with genoas now and oversized kites.

+1 on the Dash over the Kirby 30, but, sadly, the Dash actually has a beam of 10' 6".   Ross 930 is a pretty good choice in that case.  In OD configuration with the self-tacking jib they are a breeze to sail, if a bit tippy.   Some have added bulbs to the keel.  

Be careful, though, on the aft head Ross 930 the companionway is displaced slightly from the centre-line.  Could be hazardous.... ;-)

53 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

+1 on the Dash over the Kirby 30, but, sadly, the Dash actually has a beam of 10' 6".   Ross 930 is a pretty good choice in that case.  In OD configuration with the self-tacking jib they are a breeze to sail, if a bit tippy.   Some have added bulbs to the keel.  

Be careful, though, on the aft head Ross 930 the companionway is displaced slightly from the centre-line.  Could be hazardous.... ;-)

In your 35 years of ownership, did you ever measure the beam of Optical?  I measured RR pretty much the day I took possession and it was exactly 10 ft IIRC.

Why would I bother to measure the beam?  Because I heard it is fairly easy to obtain a slip at Fisherman's Wharf if beam is under 10 ft. 

Anyways, I'll take a tape measure to the boat again and confirm either way.

13 hours ago, 12 metre said:

In your 35 years of ownership, did you ever measure the beam of Optical?  I measured RR pretty much the day I took possession and it was exactly 10 ft IIRC.

Why would I bother to measure the beam?  Because I heard it is fairly easy to obtain a slip at Fisherman's Wharf if beam is under 10 ft. 

Anyways, I'll take a tape measure to the boat again and confirm either way.

I think I did, but since I don't own the boat anymore I will have to rely on your measurement.  I am curious, since I used the figure 10'6" for the entire time I owned the boat.  Sailboatdata.com has 11' as the beam, btw.  Let me know how it comes out.....p.s. it was December '82 to August 2019, so almost 37 years.  

15 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

I think I did, but since I don't own the boat anymore I will have to rely on your measurement.  I am curious, since I used the figure 10'6" for the entire time I owned the boat.  Sailboatdata.com has 11' as the beam, btw.  Let me know how it comes out.....p.s. it was December '82 to August 2019, so almost 37 years.  

I noticed Sailboatdata lists beam as 11 ft.  Not sure if that was edited recently because I thought it said 10 before.

FWIW, PHRF BC lists beam as 10.00 ft for Balderdash.  I don't think NW lists beam.

On 5/8/2020 at 1:16 AM, 12 metre said:

Given the 10' beam limit, a couple of boats come to mind

Abbott 36 and Dash 34.

Abbott is the cruisier of the two.  Dash can be turboed down to a PHRF 66 Like AK below with a Farr 30 rig, but base is 113 with inboard.

There's actually an Abbott 36 for sale right now. Great boats, but due to their relative scarcity they don't really fit the Ed's "low budget" specification even if they are narrow enough to fit into his slip (and what does the club say about an extra foot of length?).

As I understand it, Big Surprise was Bill Abbott's personal boat for a number of years. https://ca.boats.com/sailing-boats/1985-abbott-36-7165919/

Abbott36 Big Surprise.jpg

32 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

I noticed Sailboatdata lists beam as 11 ft.  Not sure if that was edited recently because I thought it said 10 before.

FWIW, PHRF BC lists beam as 10.00 ft for Balderdash.  I don't think NW lists beam.

PHRF-LO lists beam as 10.00 ft for the Dash 34, so does this design review of unknown origin I found while googling.

Dash-34-Sail-Data_1.jpg?resizeid=6

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Rain Man said:

Just got back from measuring the beam on my Dash.  BMAX measured out at exactly 120"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Just got back from measuring the beam on my Dash.  BMAX measured out at exactly 120"

That settles it.  Scot should get a Dash.  Too bad, he could have had mine - it was advertised on SA several times.    

Nice Ericson 35 cheap:  /itm/1979-Ericson-35-Sailboat-Yanmar-Inboard-San-Pedro-CA-No-Fees-No-Reserve/264744314552?hash=item3da3fda6b8:g:1ZEAAOSwUfhezY4A    Just add ebay.com to the front.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:47 PM, Boink said:

well put, I really do love the 1D35, nice looking, nimble, fun to sail, quick, real quick downwind. but man that fucked up carroll build quality. it's a shame, the mostly moderate breeze we have here on the maine coast in the summer a 1D35 would be an absolute weapon, perfect wind range for them. 

It seems to be strictly a problem with gelcoat over epoxy not sticking over the long term.

In other words, cosmetics, albeit a fairly pricey fix but not a "build quality" issue per se.

FWIW the auto manufacturers had a similar issue in the 80's when they had to switch to water based paint.

Remember all those peeling hoods a roofs?

On 5/26/2020 at 7:52 PM, frozenhawaiian said:

Interesting.  I have surveyed several 1D35's and several Farr 395's.  On one 1D35 I looked at I used an Electrophysics GRP 33 meter (I use this a lot, it is pretty reliable) on the interior skins where we thought there might be issues.  The meter would max out. Each coupon we cut out was bone dry. Very frustrating to say the least. 

On the Farr 395, we were re-coring the hull below the waterline. (Love that Carrol used foam above and balsa below the water line). Anyway, with the job mostly completed I kept finding areas that returned suspect readings.  Cutting out coupons revealed totally dry core.  So, I measured just the FRP skin coupon. Pegged the meter every time!

I carried the coupons around in a plastic box for several years and randomly tested.  Each time they pegged the meter. Testing them with an Infra Red camera, did not return any odd readings.  Because the Electrophysics meter is a capacitance type (as are most meters), I think that Carrol marine used something either carbon base or metallic in the FRP to core bonding agents/resin which returns a false negative.  Just my tuppence theory.  

Final comment.  If I was to consider a 1D35, I would rely more heavily on my plastic mallet (20 plus years and going) and an IR camera than my plastic mallet (20 plus years and going)and a moisture meter.

J112. if you're only sailing Up/downs, get the fin keel instead of the standard and go for symmetric setup. boat is a flyer and also good to take the family out on. 

11 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Interesting.  I have surveyed several 1D35's and several Farr 395's.  On one 1D35 I looked at I used an Electrophysics GRP 33 meter (I use this a lot, it is pretty reliable) on the interior skins where we thought there might be issues.  The meter would max out. Each coupon we cut out was bone dry. Very frustrating to say the least. 

On the Farr 395, we were re-coring the hull below the waterline. (Love that Carrol used foam above and balsa below the water line). Anyway, with the job mostly completed I kept finding areas that returned suspect readings.  Cutting out coupons revealed totally dry core.  So, I measured just the FRP skin coupon. Pegged the meter every time!

I carried the coupons around in a plastic box for several years and randomly tested.  Each time they pegged the meter. Testing them with an Infra Red camera, did not return any odd readings.  Because the Electrophysics meter is a capacitance type (as are most meters), I think that Carrol marine used something either carbon base or metallic in the FRP to core bonding agents/resin which returns a false negative.  Just my tuppence theory.  

Final comment.  If I was to consider a 1D35, I would rely more heavily on my plastic mallet (20 plus years and going) and an IR camera than my plastic mallet (20 plus years and going)and a moisture meter.

huh, interesting. maybe there is hope for them. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Ericson-35-Sailboat-Yanmar-Inboard-San-Pedro-CA-No-Fees-No-Reserve/264744314552?hash=item3da3fda6b8:g:1ZEAAOSwUfhezY4A

This one is at CBYC a couple of slips down from me. It is pretty rough: it sank at the dock up to the deck. The reason: stuff had been tossed into the cockpit locker for the trip back from Catalina. That stuff slid down under the cockpit, where the forward scuppers are connected together via PVC tubing to the single thru-hull. The stuff broke the PVC pipe, causing a slow leak. As the water flowed in, of course the leak became faster and faster. About 12 hours after they tied up and went home, that cracked PVC pipe was six feet under instead of 1 foot under.

The engine and wiring is certainly destroyed. THE ENGINE WAS SEVERAL FEET UNDERWATER.

Before the sinking, the ownership group (maybe 4 or 5) were getting ready to re-paint everything, which it needs. Structurally its probably OK: the owners had done a fair amount of work, and were getting ready to spend a fair amount of money.

Ownership included an insurance attorney, so they quickly had the boat totaled, and are looking for a much more expensive boat.

If Scooter did an A4 job, or something like I did for my Olson, it might well be a good way to go. Strip the interior, repaint in and out, put in an electric motor for half the price of a new diesel ($10k to duplicate my system). At least the starting price might be reasonable, at $2300.

Obviously, a suit of sails, but that is the case regardless of the boat if he wants to keep winning.

I had been thinking of letting Scott know about this boat...

Oh: I have the Yanmar 3GM30F I pulled from my boat. Needs a little work -- the clutch plate needs to be replaced, and perhaps the bottom end bearings, but everything else has already been done and new: paint, pumps, alternator, Balmar stuff, motor mounts, etc. Cheap, I don't need it ever again.

12 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Do you have contacts for the IR Camera/Scanning? Got a TP 52 that needs an area scanned. PM me if so. Thanks.

Great 35 footers.  How short was The Cone?

Well someone had to ask!

Even less then 35  a 30 footer:
Dehler 30, water ballasted

11 knots, Crazy isn't?
852372135_polardehler30.thumb.jpg.a39d4fab56404778e48619f5b490a584.jpg

Like!

I even like its looks. Reminds me a bit of Waarschips.

That "folding" prop is too cool.

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Like!

I even like its looks. Reminds me a bit of Waarschips.

That "folding" prop is too cool.

That's was new to me, (folding prop) as well.
2001163575_DEHLERSTEATHDRIVE.thumb.PNG.52e4007291757dbc70ab57d58124fc81.PNG
great. Waarschips are tonner class designed.
Still a classic. I sailed against the Waarschips in club regatta's.
They are not the fastest, a not rounded smooth hul with edges slowes down.
Although they are easier to construct.
1584738474_Waarschip870.jpg.0de9ef30a22c207d2a769e3531849097.jpg
It's just like dogs. I Like them all.

This was more the comparison I had in mind.

image.png.2f60f8bc613399fe3835458a2b498548.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Schakel said:

That's was new to me, (folding prop) as well.
2001163575_DEHLERSTEATHDRIVE.thumb.PNG.52e4007291757dbc70ab57d58124fc81.PNG
great. Waarschips are tonner class designed.
Still a classic. I sailed against the Waarschips in club regatta's.
They are not the fastest, a not rounded smooth hul with edges slowes down.
Although they are easier to construct.
1584738474_Waarschip870.jpg.0de9ef30a22c207d2a769e3531849097.jpg
It's just like dogs. I Like them all.

Nothing new here. Similar set up on the Riptide 35 Mk 11.

_IMG5601 (1280x784).jpg

18 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This was more the comparison I had in mind.

image.png.2f60f8bc613399fe3835458a2b498548.png

Nice. What is it and where is it?

2 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Nothing new here. Similar set up on the Riptide 35 Mk 11.

_IMG5601 (1280x784).jpg

Yep.  I started a thread a few years ago about retractable drives here:  

They apparently work fine, but are a bit of a maintenance nightmare.  At least that was the case then.

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Nice. What is it and where is it?

Waarschip - I would guess Holland since that's where they're from.

4 hours ago, Schakel said:

Even less then 35  a 30 footer:
Dehler 30, water ballasted

11 knots, Crazy isn't?
852372135_polardehler30.thumb.jpg.a39d4fab56404778e48619f5b490a584.jpg

heh heh, he said "top quality wack you'm infused sandwich construction" 

I like that they got Bellgarde to narrate. 

I'm not sure I'm getting the point of the Dehler 30 OD other than a marketing exercise

I mean the penis and ball sack bow you're starting to see everywhere now may confer a bit of an advantage in a seaway, but for OD (which is in it's name) what is the point?  Plus must be a wet bow.

Overly complex drive system for a non grand prix boat - and again seems to claim to be OD, so no advantage, so why other than the coolness factor.

Water ballast, fine - but only 200 kg?  You may as well bring along a few pitchers of beer and pass them up to the guys on the high side.  Easier, cheaper, quicker, and a whole lot more fun. 

And 11 kts?  I hope that is not it's top speed.  Naah...can't be.  Has to be faster than that.

Final note..from the videos, bow on it is butt ugly.  Or maybe just takes some getting used to.

C&C 35 Mk 1.  When they come out with slower versions, you know the original is a keeper.

• Like 1

Mistral.  Pierre has sold his homebuild Lombard 34

1_4.jpg

2_4.jpg

8_4.jpg

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Waarschip - I would guess Holland since that's where they're from.

Thanks Sloop.  I wasn't reading up-thread due to plain laziness!

19 hours ago, 12 metre said:

I'm not sure I'm getting the point of the Dehler 30 OD other than a marketing exercise

I mean the penis and ball sack bow you're starting to see everywhere now may confer a bit of an advantage in a seaway, but for OD (which is in it's name) what is the point?  Plus must be a wet bow.

Overly complex drive system for a non grand prix boat - and again seems to claim to be OD, so no advantage, so why other than the coolness factor.

Water ballast, fine - but only 200 kg?  You may as well bring along a few pitchers of beer and pass them up to the guys on the high side.  Easier, cheaper, quicker, and a whole lot more fun. 

And 11 kts?  I hope that is not it's top speed.  Naah...can't be.  Has to be faster than that.

Final note..from the videos, bow on it is butt ugly.  Or maybe just takes some getting used to.

I agree with you on the bow shape.
11,2 highest speed measured, polars provided by Dehler and I guess they won't discriminate themselves.
https://www.dehler.co.uk/yachts/dehler-30-od
476840733_polardehler30_crtopspeed.jpg.4dfc2fb3c714530f8d449c5ab3c83386.jpg
When the wind drops you can't get rid of the pinchers, well you can but not too much fun.
Waterballast kicks in when you need it.

I took these yesterday. Peter Salusbury's Beiker designed Riptide 35 Mk11 "Longboard".

_IGP6394 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6395 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6398 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6399 (1280x857).jpg

_IGP6400 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6402 (857x1280).jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

I took these yesterday. Peter Salusbury's Beiker designed Riptide 35 Mk11 "Longboard".

_IGP6394 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6395 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6398 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6399 (1280x857).jpg

_IGP6400 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6402 (857x1280).jpg

I can't understand why more of these haven't been built.  Simply a stunning boat.  And stunningly fast.

My admiral won't let me have one...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacrider said:

I can't understand why more of these haven't been built.  Simply a stunning boat.  And stunningly fast.

My admiral won't let me have one...

I know. Cost may be a factor against lesser production boats? Besides Paul Bieker did an outstanding design but it was followed up with an outstanding build by Betts. Same thing with the 41. In the last Stratis race, "Blue"  was just finishing after a TP52. 25 minutes afterward - boat for boat. They corrected out to 45 minutes or so after 130 miles or so. McKee was there and I didn't race myself but I did the prelim tactics/strategy for them. Still! 

7 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

_IGP6394 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6395 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6398 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6399 (1280x857).jpg

_IGP6400 (857x1280).jpg

_IGP6402 (857x1280).jpg

Slight Hijack-is that the Brook Dee's GP 26 next to it?  How is she liking her new home/doing results wise/what is her new name/where is pic taken?

31 minutes ago, @last said:

Slight Hijack-is that the Brook Dee's GP 26 next to it?  How is she liking her new home/doing results wise/what is her new name/where is pic taken?

I can answer some of these.  She is called Wraith now, the pic is on the hard at West Vancouver Yacht Club.  She will be competing in the next R2AK.  That's it for my knowledge. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I can answer some of these.  She is called Wraith now, the pic is on the hard at West Vancouver Yacht Club.  She will be competing in the next R2AK.  That's it for my knowledge. 

Thanks!  Always admired her from afar and exchanged a few emails with her designer/builder when she was for sale.  Glad she has found a good home and will be interesting to see what happens in the R2AK.

4 hours ago, @last said:

Thanks!  Always admired her from afar and exchanged a few emails with her designer/builder when she was for sale.  Glad she has found a good home and will be interesting to see what happens in the R2AK.

Her in anger in the Howe Sound regatta.

_IMG4329 (1019x1280).jpg

5 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Her in anger in the Howe Sound regatta.

=

Thanks Maxx!  Although I went in a slightly different direction, I have always admired the GP26's and this one in particular.  I like how Brooke did the stern treatment a bit more moderate ala M24/Farr 30.  Plumb bow a nice look too.  Wishing the new owners all the best, looks like she is getting good care with new sails, instruments, etc.

I have a Viking 33. But for a slightly quicker boat with more beam and room, the Thomas 35 looks nice. 8800 and 9800 pounds.

16 hours ago, @last said:

Thanks Maxx!  Although I went in a slightly different direction, I have always admired the GP26's and this one in particular.  I like how Brooke did the stern treatment a bit more moderate ala M24/Farr 30.  Plumb bow a nice look too.  Wishing the new owners all the best, looks like she is getting good care with new sails, instruments, etc.

The owner is a good guy and had a Farr 39 ML I think and decided to detune his racing program to something a more simple approach for his racing. Our club built a dry store dock facility that houses boats for sportboats. From the Riptide 35, 1D35, Farr 30's, etc and his GP26. We have several M24's, FF15 etc on the other side of the club lot. It was a capital project for the club but it worked just fine. A very long waitlist for moorage of any boats of any size so the owner took advantage of the new facility and many like him joined. I've never asked him why he went for the GP 26 for that design but he keeps the boat in top condition and what it needs to race it properly.     

55 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

The owner is a good guy and had a Farr 39 ML I think and decided to detune his racing program to something a more simple approach for his racing. Our club built a dry store dock facility that houses boats for sportboats. From the Riptide 35, 1D35, Farr 30's, etc and his GP26. We have several M24's, FF15 etc on the other side of the club lot. It was a capital project for the club but it worked just fine. A very long waitlist for moorage of any boats of any size so the owner took advantage of the new facility and many like him joined. I've never asked him why he went for the GP 26 for that design but he keeps the boat in top condition and what it needs to race it properly.     

CM 1200

I believe he downsized because of the usual issues of digging up enough bodies to race the CM 1200

37 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

CM 1200

I believe he downsized because of the usual issues of digging up enough bodies to race the CM 1200

Sorry, that's what I said: I think. And yes, getting 10 or so to hold it down can be an issue. I don't haven't had a real program now and didn't really compete with the CM 1200. 

On 5/7/2020 at 7:01 PM, Somebody Else said:

It's a modified "Schumacher rudder" which was designed to tame the Cal40.

This scan should show you what yer getting.

Ericson-35-004_638px.thumb.jpg.b46377def1fd34de582b83878e0f92c9.jpg

do any of you know of 35's that race with this rudder? does phrf hit the rating for it?

1 hour ago, Editor said:

do any of you know of 35's that race with this rudder? does phrf hit the rating for it?

My understanding is PHRF doesn't care as long as the rudder mod doesn't increase total draft.

2 minutes ago, sledracr said:

My understanding is PHRF doesn't care as long as the rudder mod doesn't increase total draft.

the new one is 10'' deeper...

On 5/7/2020 at 7:01 PM, Somebody Else said:

It's a modified "Schumacher rudder" which was designed to tame the Cal40.

This scan should show you what yer getting.

Ericson-35-004_638px.thumb.jpg.b46377def1fd34de582b83878e0f92c9.jpg

Schumacher made a similar design change for the Express 37 rudder (post production) and