Sign in to follow this  
Old Yeller

Comedy Therapeutics for Covid Hysteria

Carlin was great.

Getting this coronavirus is not.

Have you lost anyone yet? I have. And close call with another friend.

There isn't any hysteria. Prudence is not hysteria. I guess the hospitals in NY didn't have 15 thousand extra deaths in a month. No, that obviously could not have happened. The Illuminati is making that up, right?

I have been told that a very distant relative by marriage (never heard of the person before the announcement) died from Covid (or with Covid). Otherwise I cannot name a single family member  or acquaintance that has been impacted by Covid. However, I know many families who are unemployed and on the verge of bankruptcy because of the response. Sickness and death are unfortunately a very real part of life. Just this week we received terrible news concerning a close relative being diagnosed with a terminal illness. 1-3 years remaining. I do not take my next breath for granted. We have had pandemics before, but we have never witnessed this type of coordinated national response to shutdown daily life by decree. I wish you and your family well. I agree, Carlin was great.

• Like 1

This one brings  back memories......

• Like 1

Ingredients

• 3 cups Thai jasmine rice (1 lb 5 oz)
    • 3 3/4 cups water

Preparation

1. Rinse rice in several changes of cold water until water is clear, then drain well in a large fine-mesh sieve. Bring rice and water (3 3/4 cups) to a boil in a 4-quart wide heavy pot and boil, uncovered, without stirring, until steam holes appear in rice and grains on surface look dry, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to very low, then cover pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Gently fluff rice with a fork.

Crunchy Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing

Irresistibly crunchy Thai salad with creamy peanut dressing will be your new vegetable obsession! Each bite packs a powerhouse of fresh superfoods.

bowl of crunchy Thai salad with creamy peanut dressing

Crisp, satisfying and full of nutrients! This crunchy Thai salad tossed in a creamy peanut dressing will be your new salad addiction. Each bite contains a powerhouse of fresh superfoods and a peanut flavor punch to match.

If you are looking for a quick, wholesome and exciting meal that you can enjoy for dinner or pack for lunch the next day, this salad will make your taste buds super happy. A few chops with your chef’s knife and a blend of the sauce, and you’ve got your next veggie-packed meal ready in minutes.

Bowl of unmixed Thai salad with recipe ingredients

This Thai salad screams summer, with the rainbow of colors and tropical mango slices it makes me want to hop on the next flight to Phuket! It’s so easy to find the freshest produce and ripe fruit at the market right now. Summer is in high gear, and it’s like the grocery store is just giving away mangoes!

To balance the slight bitterness of the kale greens, mangoes, and sweet red bell pepper add just the right amount of natural sweetness. I’d like to take a quick poll… Raise your hand if you LOVE peanut sauce? You know, the kind you can usually find with chicken satay or served with shrimp spring rolls?

Jar and spoon of homemade peanut sauce with chopped nuts on top

Not only is this Thai salad so tasty, but it’s also packed with those superfoods I mentioned up top! The kale, two types of cabbage, red bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and lime juice are all some of the top nutrient-dense superfoods you can enjoy. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too, but in this case, it would be a delicious salad with an addictive peanut sauce, ha!

After shooting the photos for this recipe, it was getting to be around 1 pm, and I couldn’t wait to gobble this salad up! Each forkful is so refreshing, plus the light drizzle of peanut sauce hit the spot. You can instantly turn this salad into an entree by adding some grilled tofu, chopped chicken, beef or shrimp.

Thai salad in a bowl with peanut dressing

More Thai recipes

What is the difference between peanut butter vs. peanut spread?

There are a lot of options on the market for peanut butter products. Peanut butter labeling is regulated by the FDA and must contain at least 90% by weight of peanuts. There also may not be any added artificial colors, preservatives or sweeteners. The other 10% can be seasoning and stabilizing ingredients like salt, sugar, palm oil or peanut oil for example. If the amount of non-peanut ingredients exceeds 10%, then it would be labeled as a spread. You have most likely seen natural ground peanut butter separate over time and have oil on the top when you open the jar. Oils like palm oil are added when processing the product to prevent separation and make a more creamy spreadable product.

crunchy-thai-salad-with-peanut-sauce-dre

Pin Recipe Print Recipe

3.97 from 110 votes

Crunchy Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing

Irresistibly crunchy Thai salad with peanut sauce dressing will be your new vegetable obsession! Each bite packs a powerhouse of fresh superfoods all in one bowl.

Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time0 mins
Total Time30 mins

Course: Salad
Cuisine: Thai
Yield: 4 servings
Calories: 179kcal
Author: Jessica Gavin

Ingredients

Thai Salad

• 2 cups kale
  • 1 ½ cups napa cabbage
  • 1 ½ cups red cabbage
  • ½ cup red bell pepper
  • ½ cup carrot
  • 1 mango
  • ¼ cup cilantro
  • 8 mint leaves
  • 1 tablespoon green onions
  • ¼ cup peanuts, roasted, roughly chopped

Peanut Dressing

• cup peanut butter, natural creamy or smooth
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons honey, or pure maple syrup
  • 1 ½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce , low sodium
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon sriracha
  • ½ teaspoon ginger, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon water

Instructions

Thai Salad

• In a large bowl add thin slices of kale, cabbage, bell pepper, carrot, mango, cilantro, mint, and green onions. Set aside and make the dressing.

Peanut Dressing

• In a blender add peanut butter, lime juice, honey, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, ginger, garlic, and water.
  • Puree until smooth and combined, about 1 minute. Alternatively, the ingredients can be whisked together in a medium-sized bowl.
  • Add more water if needed to thin out the dressing if desired. Season with salt and pepper as needed.

To Serve

• Gradually add enough dressing to coat the salad, toss to combine. Drizzle with more dressing if there's any remaining. Top with freshly cracked black pepper and chopped peanuts.

Special Equipment

Recipe Video

6 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Have you lost anyone yet? I have. And close call with another friend.

At least 6 people I know have had it, 2 are dead. 

4 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

.... I cannot name a single family member or acquaintance that has been impacted by Covid. However, I know many families who are unemployed and on the verge of bankruptcy because of the response. Sickness and death are unfortunately a very real part of life. 

Spoken by someone who doesn't give a fuck how it spreads and that it effectively doubles the risk of dying across all age groups.. but don't accept that so think they they are pretty safe. 

Yellowballs really wish you would get a good solid dose of it and see how you feel then. 

EXaFfskXQAInWrT.png

• Like 1

You do realise Carlin was joking, don't you? Perhaps you missed the sarcasm of "…nobody in our neighbourhood got polio because we swam in raw sewage."

It's Florence Nightingale's birthday in a couple of days. She revolutionised medical care by implementing simple rules for hygiene and cleanliness, among other things. If you really want to take George's advice, go swim in raw sewage, often. Apparently it will protect you from every disease known as well as those that aren't.

Good luck.

Somebody needs to take the rabid dog out back and dispatch it. 

3 minutes ago, mad said:

Somebody needs to take the rabid dog out back and dispatch it. 

Someone with CoVid and a gun just in case they don't shoot well.

9 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

I have been told that a very distant relative by marriage (never heard of the person before the announcement) died from Covid (or with Covid). Otherwise I cannot name a single family member  or acquaintance that has been impacted by Covid. However, I know many families who are unemployed and on the verge of bankruptcy because of the response. Sickness and death are unfortunately a very real part of life. Just this week we received terrible news concerning a close relative being diagnosed with a terminal illness. 1-3 years remaining. I do not take my next breath for granted. We have had pandemics before, but we have never witnessed this type of coordinated national response to shutdown daily life by decree. I wish you and your family well. I agree, Carlin was great.

So then let's play word games, shall we?

image.thumb.png.bb8b7b1ff846e5004356a2d6a864057d.png

5 hours ago, astro said:

Ingredients

• 3 cups Thai jasmine rice (1 lb 5 oz)
    • 3 3/4 cups water

Preparation

1. Rinse rice in several changes of cold water until water is clear, then drain well in a large fine-mesh sieve. Bring rice and water (3 3/4 cups) to a boil in a 4-quart wide heavy pot and boil, uncovered, without stirring, until steam holes appear in rice and grains on surface look dry, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to very low, then cover pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Gently fluff rice with a fork.

Got a simpler method that works very well for us. Long grain or jasmine. 

Amount of water is number of cups of rice plus 1.

So 2 cups rice needs 3 cups water

Microwave for 15 minutes.  Test for bite.  

When finished,  fluff and let sit for 5 minutes. 

Done. 

• Like 1

Somebody put the mutt out of his misery. 

22 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

Got a simpler method that works very well for us. Long grain or jasmine. 

Amount of water is number of cups of rice plus 1.

So 2 cups rice needs 3 cups water

Microwave for 15 minutes.  Test for bite.  

When finished,  fluff and let sit for 5 minutes. 

Done. 

I use the Absorption method.

Same water but in a pot. bring to boil, put lid on on pot and simmer on lowest heat possible till no water left.

Test chew and leave for 5 mins no heat.

Been preferring Basmati rice of late/

22 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

Microwave for 15 minutes.

4 minutes ago, astro said:

I use the Absorption method.

So you two are going to put YellowBalls down using rice. Do you have to fucking cook it, that decision seems to be slowing things down.

• Like 1

If you really want a treat, sprinkle balsamic vinegar over the Thai salad.

Fucking awesome.  Who would have thought it complemented mango?

2 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Gotta gun, but no clear shot.

Good to see Coopers rules in use.:)

57 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

So you two are going to put YellowBalls down using rice. Do you have to fucking cook it, that decision seems to be slowing things down.

We could definitely give it a go. 

Arsenic is found in nearly all foods and drinks, but is usually only found in small amounts.

In contrast, relatively high levels are found in:

• Contaminated drinking water: Millions of people around the world are exposed to drinking water that contains high amounts of inorganic arsenic. This is most common in South America and Asia (2, 3Trusted Source).
  • Seafood: Fish, shrimp, shellfish and other seafood may contain significant amounts of organic arsenic, the less toxic form. However, mussels and certain types of seaweed may contain inorganic arsenic as well (4, 5Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source).
  • Rice and rice-based foods: Rice accumulates more arsenic than other food crops. In fact, it is the single biggest food source of inorganic arsenic, which is the more toxic form (7Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).

Brown rice has much more arsenic than white rice, and U.S. rice grown in parts of the South have the highest arsenic of all.

This is partly due to growing rice on what are really "brown fields" industrial waste sites -- former cotton fields, where arsenic based pesticides were used in cotton farming.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1892142/

• Like 1

Chaps I think the arsenic rice poisoning thing is overkill.

By my calcs a 12g shell loaded with uncooked rice single shot, close range and head will put the dog down. 4g very very rare weapon but if found ...it will be a very short coffin and not an open one. 

images - 2020-05-11T231152.134.jpeg

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pump action with the elephant round will do nicely 

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

By my calcs a 12g shell loaded with uncooked rice single shot, close range and head will put the dog down. 4g very very rare weapon but if found ...it will be a very short coffin and not an open one. 

Back in the market duck hunting days, they had swivel guns at 00 gage on the bows of sneakboxes.

I was shot at with rock salt once. "Farmer" in Maryland. Used to shoot at anyone who had the temerity to walk his fenceline. Not even on his property. He was a cranky old buzzrd.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

A Punt Gun, used for duck hunting but were banned because they ...

That 12g above loaded with 'buck' would do the job and save the shoulder, but it would be hellish messy. :o;)

15 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Back in the market duck hunting days, they had swivel guns at 00 gage on the bows of sneakboxes.

That is not OO guage but OO shot size.

Pellets numbered per ounze of a given shot size. Smaller number the smaller number of pellets larger in size for increased range. Larger shot sizes the US terminology is BB or Bucks (confusing to non Americans as BB's are down shot scale before numbers used) and elsewhere the Brits terminology is less confusing being SG's or Super Game. 

So 4G is largest shotgun gauge ever made even swivel guns on warships of olde. Also guage has no relationship with bore of smooth or rifled. A 19th century 4 bore muzzel loading elephant gun has bullet diameter bit over 1".

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pellets numbered per ounze of a given shot size. Smaller number the smaller number of pellets larger in size for increased range. Larger shot sizes the US terminology is BB or Bucks (confusing to non Americans as BB's are down shot scale before numbers used) and elsewhere the Brits terminology is less confusing being SG's or Super Game. 

So 4G is largest shotgun gauge ever made even swivel guns on warships of olde. Also guage has no relationship with bore of smooth or rifled. A 19th century 4 bore muzzel loading elephant gun has bullet diameter bit over 1".

SG = Special Goose and equates to 00 buck, 8 shot for our American friends. ;)

Description: 21/2" pink, glazed, paper-cased, low brass cartridge with rolled turnover. The head is brass-plated steel. White top wad. Loaded with eight 0.332 inch lead shot.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30027789

13 minutes ago, mad said:

That 12g above loaded with 'buck' would do the job and save the shoulder, but it would be hellish messy. :o;)

Called "punt" guns and technically not a shotgun. Called that because you could only use them laid out along length of a long narrow boat. You didn't shoot one bird but an entire flock and the flock behind it. I think UK they were still in use up until 1980/90''s but diam restricted?

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I know about gage versus shot. Here in the US the big guns were truly big. Not puny little 4 ga.

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/punt-gun-market-hunting-mayhem-with-the-legendary-fowling-piece

• Like 1

Excellent hijack guys.

Fuck I love this place:lol:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I know about gage versus shot. Here in the US the big guns were truly big. Not puny little 4 ga.

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/punt-gun-market-hunting-mayhem-with-the-legendary-fowling-piece

US got their punt guns from the Brits. They also banned their use way before. I like the terminology. They could only be used for "market" purposes.

Where you going with that fucking big gun lad? Off to market sir. OK watch yourself now.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mad said:

English Gunsmiths are still today ranked the world's best. He said valued at £60/70k. A recent one off commission like that designed and built from scratch using various moulds from old weapons doesn't suprise me in fact would have thought more. 

I looked that up. The block is a mould from the famous 1850's Whaling Harpoon Gun designed and built by Gunsmith William Greener of Birmingham. 

There is an original one in Aust National Museum Museum's barbarously beautiful whaling gun goes on display

If you recognise it this is where..the Greener Martini Light Harpoon Gun. 

images - 2020-05-12T021612.996.jpeg

1 hour ago, mad said:

4 Gauge - vid specs.

20lb of gun, 40" barrel, Modern variety 4 1/4" Super Magnum brass case and max load of 4 1/2 Oz or over a 1/4 pound with say AA ballistic range (not max) of 100 yards black powder.  Cost  £15/20 per shot...ouch.

Interestingly only abt 20 year old max so very modern and around dozen made in England/Lancashire by Allen Myers. Underlever, utility not fancy & worth around £16K. 

9 hours ago, mad said:

That's not a 12 gauge, unless the barrel walls are stupidly thick. How gauge is measured.

2 hours ago, RobG said:

That's not a 12 gauge, unless the barrel walls are stupidly thick. How gauge is measured.

To put this thread drift to bed. 

"Punt Guns" with around 2" diam bores and loads over 1 pound are not classified as true "shotguns" for a number of reasons.

No recognised gauge or firearms industry support for the manufacture of either guns or shells and so custom-built by professional hunters or small gunsmiths supplying "market" shooters. The market being bird meat and feathers for hats. Most were muzzle-loaders with a flintlock firing mechanism with later ones percussion conversions (better for damp setting) and obviously not hand/shoulder held. 

In US guns often had names that were passed down Bundick, Snead, Cheseldine, Dutch Mike, etc generally the name of the family who originally built and owned the gun. Irish Tom reportedly the largest built at 14' long and weighing 300 lbs. The punt and gun were as one.

According to NRA History four punts/boats and 4 shots one night bagged over a 1,000 birds in eastern US. Birds not the only thing killed. Recorded instances of recoil knocking out the boat's transom and drowning the traditional hunter who couldn't swim.

The term “getting your ducks in a row” is literally what punt gunners used to do manoeuvring their punts into position before touching off a shot.

Max guage shotgun has always been 4g with a max load of around 1/4 pound. See  Holland & Holland Catalogue from early 1900's. 4g weapon and shells ceased being supported by firearms industry decades ago except by bespoke gunsmiths.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

To put this thread drift to bed…

Why do that? It's a pointless thread that the OP has abandoned long ago, it may as well drift far and wide…

https://youtu.be/XTNdup_6JBo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RobG said:

Thanks for pointing out the blinding fucking obvious. If you read it in context it’ll make more sense for you. 

You gentlemen must have a lot of free time....   Here’s something to keep you safe. It’s a full body Covid condom. 

13 hours ago, mad said:

Thanks for pointing out the blinding fucking obvious. If you read it in context it’ll make more sense for you. 

Clearly I missed the sarcasm font… :unsure:

Yes its BRIT focused parochial… made me chortle…

• Like 2