BuenaOnda

Need your help: crowdfunding campaign for a rugged tablet dedicated to sailors

Hi Guys!

Being active in sports marketing and communication, I found myself completely at a standstill right from the start of this crisis. Not wanting to remain inactive, I gave a real boost to a project that had been in the corner of my head for a long time, a durable and waterproof digital tablet, dedicated to pleasure boating.
A sailing enthusiast myself, I had been snooping around during my business trips to China looking for equipment that could help me in my hobby - in particular a waterproof tablet for cartography and navigation. For 3 years, I scoured trade shows, visited factories and brought back samples. I also went around discussion groups and the main French and English speaking forums to draw up specifications, like here on Sailing Anarchy :

The main axes of which were:

• a screen that is REALLY readable in full sunlight, can be used with gloves and in case of water splashes,
  • a very high capacity battery,
  • a very accurate GPS chip,
  • a waterproof and solid case.

Today, the product is almost ready for production and I launched a crowdfunding campaign here : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sailproof/sailproof-the-sailors-rugged-tablet

Ok, perhaps you'll say this is advertising, I won't blame you for that. But you have to know that, even if I succeed in my campaign, it won't pay for all the hours and costs I have had till today. My only goal is to launch the production a first batch of tablets. So, please, be indulgent with me :-) 

Thanks for reading me.

JM

Hello,

Maybe you can answer this question. 

Why is nobody bulilding tablets with a transreflectiv display? Is there a big disadvantage?
It's great at sunlight, and don't need a lot of power.

For example the Panasonic CF-07 had it. 

You missed one critical specification:

* Floats.

9 minutes ago, 8915 said:

Hello,

Maybe you can answer this question. 

Why is nobody bulilding tablets with a transreflectiv display? Is there a big disadvantage?
It's great at sunlight, and don't need a lot of power.

For example the Panasonic CF-07 had it. 

Hi!

yes, this is a great question, you're not the first one to ask.

In fact, color transflective LCD are very difficult to develop and the main part of manufacturers choose not to invest in that technology. Problems are mainly a lack of contrast and color rendering, a low screen refresh speed. Manufacturing process also encounters serious difficulties.

But in the future, with the development of color e-readers, it could become a solution for a device exclusively focused on navigation.

JM

4 minutes ago, DDW said:

You missed one critical specification:

* Floats.

Hi!

it could be a plus, I agree. Even if, in the different discussions I have had, virtually nobody asked for that. 
And I must say that I also focused on price. So I chose to take advantage of an already developed housing from my manufacturer. Only the cost of developing a new mould would have blowed the price.

JM

My iPad with a lifeproof case running iNavx has worked pretty well from the tropics to N. California for about 5 years. It doesn't float, but everything else is pretty good.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

My iPad with a lifeproof case running iNavx has worked pretty well from the tropics to N. California for about 5 years. It doesn't float, but everything else is pretty good.

I have had good experience with my Samsung galaxy tab active series tablets (Android) with Sailgrib routing/navigation and navionics.  I'm not against competition in the market if it drives prices down though.  But unless this new tablet provides superior performance, cheaper price, great customer service, or some combination, it will be tough to go against the big electronics guys to target an iddy bitty market.

@bgytr: I'm getting conflicting opinions about the usability of Galaxy Tab Active in sunlight.  What's your opinion?

What is the screen resolution ?

Your wasting your time...

https://www.samsung.com/sg/business/tablets/galaxy-tab-active-2-8-0-t395/sm-t395nzkaxsp/

IP68 water and dust resistance

Also it' screen rates at 480 nits, which means you can see it in direct sunlight.

@NoFortuna Samsung tablets have a feature that allows for a brightness boost that you can set up on "hot key" with the right apps installed, and you don't mind rooting your device. I have mine set up on to activate on long press of the home button. I also set it up so at the same time it will switch to grey scale. I have no issues what so ever, even at high noon.

With that being said, the issue BIG with all "on deck" tablets is over heating. So keep it in a case the can shield it from the heat produced as aa side effect of being in direct sunlight for extended periods of time.

Wow, 800 cd/m2? What is the contrast ration, or other measurement of readability in direct sunlight?  Resolution?

Anyone here use the Active 2 or Active Pro in a bouncing boat in direct sunlight?

While the sub 500 cd/m2 display spec  of a Samsung Active 2 or Pro will pass most non boaters definition of sunlight readable display, it is clear reviewers (who were not evaluating in a bouncing boat with numerous reflections from the water) still had challenges with reflections and preferred the shade. In such marine conditions reading from a 500 cd/m2 display on a glossy display is likely a chore.

By comparison the Raymarine Axiom 7 display has 1200 cd/m2 and huge cooling capability, blowing away an Active 2

On 5/12/2020 at 2:30 PM, b393capt said:

Wow, 800 cd/m2? What is the contrast ration, or other measurement of readability in direct sunlight?  Resolution?

Anyone here use the Active 2 or Active Pro in a bouncing boat in direct sunlight?

While the sub 500 cd/m2 display spec  of a Samsung Active 2 or Pro will pass most non boaters definition of sunlight readable display, it is clear reviewers (who were not evaluating in a bouncing boat with numerous reflections from the water) still had challenges with reflections and preferred the shade. In such marine conditions reading from a 500 cd/m2 display on a glossy display is likely a chore.

Hi!

Yes, it's a 800 cd/m2. Resolution is 800 x 1280 px.

Note that there's an antiglare film.

JM, SailProof

On 5/12/2020 at 1:08 PM, Jubblies said:

Your wasting your time...

https://www.samsung.com/sg/business/tablets/galaxy-tab-active-2-8-0-t395/sm-t395nzkaxsp/

IP68 water and dust resistance

Also it' screen rates at 480 nits, which means you can see it in direct sunlight.

@NoFortuna Samsung tablets have a feature that allows for a brightness boost that you can set up on "hot key" with the right apps installed, and you don't mind rooting your device. I have mine set up on to activate on long press of the home button. I also set it up so at the same time it will switch to grey scale. I have no issues what so ever, even at high noon.

With that being said, the issue BIG with all "on deck" tablets is over heating. So keep it in a case the can shield it from the heat produced as aa side effect of being in direct sunlight for extended periods of time.

Wasting my time? ;) Check the specs of that Samsung Tablet:

3+16 Go ? What will you do with 16 Go ( only 9.8 really available, try to store your OpenCPN charts...) ?? The battery is only 4450 mah, you won't last a day with that. Old Android 7.1, 4G limited number of bands, no Galileo, just one USB-C port. Sorry , you can't compare with our SailProof tablet. And the price is about 500 € with 4G LTE, not so far from our early buyers pledge...

Regarding IP68 instead of IP67, you know, it won't be a big difference... 

Check the IP rate specs:

• IPx7 (Immersion, up to 1 m depth): Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).
  •  
  • IPx8 (Immersion, 1 m or more depth): The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects. The test depth and duration is expected to be greater than the requirements for IPx7, and other environmental effects may be added, such as temperature cycling before immersion.

In fact, the only difference is that manufacturers test IP67 at 1m depth and IP68 at 1.5m. :rolleyes:

480 cd/m2 is not really sunlight readable. You need at least 800 cd/m2.

And finally, regarding overheating, it's absolutely not an issue for us. Operating temperature of our tablet can be has high has 50°c (and storage temperature, 70°c). This tablet is primarily made for industrial use. We adjusted the specs to be more adapted to sailing, but all the native qualities of the devices are preserved.

JM, SailProof

This is a little different approach since it is wired instead of containing an internal battery and acts as a repeater. I like the lower cost, and the idea that I am using the processing power and data on the phone, tablet or chart plotter most of us already own.  The problem is by the time you add the blue tooth dongle and waterproof back cover it is near the cost of a dedicated chartplotter. I wonder if something similar is available with a lower ready to use price. https://www.argonautcomputer.com/products/m7-smart-touch-monitor

image.png.c9f06258da6455f5bf50c5b9260efeff.png

2 hours ago, BuenaOnda said:

UPDATE!

We have upgraded our screen. Our rugged tablet offers now a 1000 cd/m2 brightness!

Check here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sailproof/sailproof-the-sailors-rugged-tablet

JM, SailProof

You should try to 'advertise' your crowdfunding campagin on cruisersforum and sailnet as well, will get you a lot more exposure to your potential market.

38 minutes ago, Misbehavin' said:

You should try to 'advertise' your crowdfunding campagin on cruisersforum and sailnet as well, will get you a lot more exposure to your potential market.

Hello!
Thanks. I'm already there. I must say that, regarding Sailnet, I meet mainly Apple geeks ;-)

JM

Hi!

Even if we didn't reach our goal in our Kickstarter campaign, we have worked on on solutions to be able to produce a first batch of our SailProof SP-08 tablet.

We received so much expressions of interest, requests for information, contacts with magazines so as the internationally renowned Yachting World, but also Yachts & Yachting in England, the German Yacht.de, the French Bateaux.com or Voiles-et-Voiliers and some others in France or in the USA. And the demands coming from the sector professionals and sailors all other the world, even during these hard weeks affected by the Covid19 crisis, encourage us to continue.

So we have decided to move to a pre-order campaign offering the most popular packages of our Kickstarter page. You may find it here: https://sailproof.shop/product-category/pre-order/

Thanks again for your help and support.

JM, SailProof