Sign in to follow this  
Winston29

Should I bother fixing these spider-cracks?

Other than these cracks in the top of the transom and one small chip on the corner of the stern, the boat's in beautiful shape.  

I'm not sure how this happened, other than by years of use, but it could be from the times I've been dragged over the transom after capsizing.  It's possible they were there when I bought the boat.  I don't remember.  

It's not a big deal, I just thought it might be nice to fix them, if for no other reason than to improve the resale value.  

One possible argument against doing the repairs: I've been considering installing a folding, metal boarding ladder on the starboard side of the transom (where the cracks are), and worry that if I do, I'll blow out any repairs I made the moment my 200+#'s hits the first rung.  

Thoughts?

~ W

fullsizeoutput_e15.jpeg

No clue what kind of boat it is, but I doubt repairing it would impact resale. Fix it if it's really bothering you, otherwise go sailing...

6 minutes ago, Murphness said:

No clue what kind of boat it is, but.......

Oops! 

It's a 1992 Catalina Capri 14.2 with way too much $$$ invested in it.  :blink:

fullsizeoutput_dd4.jpeg

Just a suggestion: Proper gelcoat grindout,sandout,fill,sand,paint in that size of an area would be time consuming and exy......perhaps a small roughing of that transom top then cover/fill the spider cracks and top rail with awlgrip or urethane+sand grip paint. Therefore sealing the existing cracks and the transom from potentially taking moisture. And providing a sure footing for your ladder area. 

ps: what is the foil/bulb mast top shroud for? 

• Like 1

Who mounted the keel bulb on the masthead?

2 hours ago, FixinGit said:

ps: what is the foil/bulb mast top shroud for? 

Are you referring to the masthead float?  It's from a RS Quest.  

Personally I wish it weren't there, but the waters I sail are extremely shallow and have a very silty, gooey bottom that grabs the masts of turtled boats and doesn't let go.  

I once helped a guy with a stuck RS700 get his boat uprighted at the dock.  It ended up taking 4 big guys to get it done, and when the masthead came out of the water, there was only 8" of mud at the top.  :blink:

This stuff is nasty.  

• Like 1

You don't NEED to do it, but if the cracks are localised to that area then I would have a crack at repairing anyway. 
If every owner did these repairs as soon as the problem appeared then there would be a lot more nice boats around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Winston29 said:

Thoughts?

They aren't 'spider cracks'.  They are cracks.

Two choices. 

1. Reinforce the area so it cannot crack the gelcoat
  2. If that is not possible, do nothing, because the repair will just crack again
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, astro said:

They aren't 'spider cracks'.  They are cracks.

Two choices. 

1. Reinforce the area so it cannot crack the gelcoat
  2. If that is not possible, do nothing, because the repair will just crack again

Its a 1992 racing Capri, flex and gelcoat cracking even longitudinally along the transom doesnt mean reinforce or give up... Surely.
As long as the abutted hull-Transom joins and transitions are not warped rotted or cracked out or the transom itself is not drenched,warped,cracked etc  why reinforce a perfectly good boat with gelcoat cracking and no other sign of failure? 

The forces that a rudder has while sailing do not create force in that direction (IMHO).

Maybe the cracks are from the rudder hitting the ground (or bottom) over time?

Keep an eye on it and go sailing, Take that float off the top of the rig as someone might think it is an AWAC.

Sail Safe!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FixinGit said:

Its a 1992 racing Capri, flex and gelcoat cracking even longitudinally along the transom doesnt mean reinforce or give up... Surely.
As long as the abutted hull-Transom joins and transitions are not warped rotted or cracked out or the transom itself is not drenched,warped,cracked etc  why reinforce a perfectly good boat with gelcoat cracking and no other sign of failure? 

Keep sailing by all means.

The structure has not failed but it is more flexible.  Lets water in anyway.  That probably isn't a serious unless there is timber structure in there.

• Like 1