Schakel

The coolest performance cruiser on the planet

Yep,

That's what we have been waiting for, real slick lines.
Plywood interiour, a day cruiser with all  luxurious features to have great days on the water.
For long stay as well. You won't be the shabbiest in the harbour.

Name me a better one in the same range
Released 2019
If you want the full bred racing version, tp52 (Only one feet smaller) comes to mind.
https://www.beneteau.com/en/first/first-yacht-53

fy53_exterieur_2.jpg

exterieur_3_3.jpg

first-yacht.jpg

6 minutes ago, Hadlock said:

main.jpg

It is a conviction, they swore to the down holder.
In what range is the traveller effective?

602071129_pointsofwind.thumb.png.82e820724dcd049993c273d6d68976e1.png

19 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Yep,

Plywood interiour, a day cruiser with all  luxurious features to have great days on the water.

Released 2019
If you want the full bred racing version, tp52 (Only one feet smaller) comes to mind.

fy53_exterieur_2.jpg

exterieur_3_3.jpg

first-yacht.jpg

Are you trying to sell them?

8 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Are you trying to sell them?

Nope, Perhaps trying to buy one.
Pending...
If works out all right all, this one is very tempting.
Like the prettiest girl. But you have to know how to handle.

• Like 1

For the money they look alright. We are a dealer for them but in the UK the market is non existent so I doubt we’ll see one. I’d have liked to see it slightly lighter and a slightly higher build spec. Personally I would never race one competitively as I don’t think the deck gear is up to it. Your description of performance cruiser is spot on, it will only ever be a cruiser.   

• Like 2

It is very well designed, i agree. Pogo 50 is not too far out, re price list. Beats in performance, not in elegance. But I think, base list will never apply. For both. 

MG_0352-2.jpg

Dufour 530 is quite similar in concept, but they overdid the styling. Overall: good choice, if you get it for that price. 

The question is: where other than the Caribbean or the Med do you keep such a thing?

35 minutes ago, JL92S said:

For the money they look alright. We are a dealer for them but in the UK the market is non existent so I doubt we’ll see one. I’d have liked to see it slightly lighter and a slightly higher build spec. Personally I would never race one competitively as I don’t think the deck gear is up to it. Your description of performance cruiser is spot on, it will only ever be a cruiser.   

She surely is pretty.
1538005332_PatsyKensit.jpg.c087973985512002115b406108486a85.jpg507044994_PatsyKensit2.jpg.b2c7eddcd2416ac4f6091504463d572f.jpg
And what is next?
Tp52, Pogo and VOR 65?
Pogo is family cruising and about the fastest, the other two are professional racing circuit:
https://www.fastsailing.gr/fast-sailing-in-greece-2/
https://www.52superseries.com/
https://www.theoceanrace.com/

What you get in the base boat doesn’t include anything you see on the F53 in the photo. The carbon mast with rod rigging, teak deck, teak cockpit, instrument package, composite steering wheels, blue hull, performance keel with a lead bulb. None of it is included in the base price. On the Pogo you get as carbon rig included in the base price and also the lift keel. Personally I would sooner have a Grand Soleil 48 and sacrifice a little space for having a boat equipped for racing as well as cruising 

• Like 1

looking at the interior... not my kind of boat offshore... it's a long flight from port to starboard and back .... 

indeed no traveller...

and no females ...

not my cup of tea!

1 hour ago, Schakel said:

Yep,

Released 2019

fy53_exterieur_2.jpg

exterieur_3_3.jpg

first-yacht.jpg

Meh, cheapens the great First name for me, more like an oceanis shitter to me.  Designed to look a bit like a fast boat to russians who don't know their arse from their elbow.

1 hour ago, Schakel said:

Nope, Perhaps trying to buy one.
Pending...
If works out all right all, this one is very tempting.
Like the prettiest girl. But you have to know how to handle.

For little change from a $Mil I can think of a lot of boats I'd rather have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maxstaylock said:

Meh, cheapens the great First name for me, more like an oceanis shitter to me.  Designed to look a bit like a fast boat to russians who don't know their arse from their elbow.

Doesn't look like that.
I think she is more like the Swede 55.
Even prettier, and faster and more luxurious.
.Gamle_Swede_-_Steuerbord.thumb.jpg.1521b5ac7d269ced3a75e052636aa2ba.jpg

I checked it out at the boat show last fall and wasn’t sold on the performance aspect. It’s visually very inspiring, but struck me as more like an Oceanis model styled like a Solaris. 

The deck layout is admittedly very slick, but past the appearance, there’s no traveler, mast is deck-stepped, and the interior fittings are same as on the bigger Oceanis line. Probably aimed at high end charter or for a couple pro crew to handle while the owner flies in, at least judging from the coffin-like crew cabin where the anchor locker normally would go.

If I had that money to spend (which I don’t), I would look at Solaris 50 for closest in style, and for similar performance at same size, Elan, Italia 15.98, or X-yachts x49.

• Like 2

If I had to have a beneteau id take one designed by finot conq

One issue with the New Beneteau First 53 is that it’s not that good of a deal price wise.

In 2017, the Solaris 50 started at about $650k, well equipped for about $900k, per this Yachting World review. https://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/boat-tests/solaris-50-boat-test

The First 53 starts at $672k, so well equipped its probably somewhere in the same ballpark. But with the Solaris you get handcrafted boat that set this design trend. Both have similar SA/displacement ratios of about 27/1, so they at least should be peppy.

• Like 1

Same model except 30 years apart.

In today's dollars the old one is more expensive but more comfortable, better built and fucking tougher.

FB_IMG_1571115150002.thumb.jpg.f5316dab9c27abdb1726d3f0fa36d226.jpg

592657493_images-2019-10-15T153445_547.jpeg.407f7fff549582445565b4b937493e3f.jpeg

FB_IMG_1571115028948.thumb.jpg.4459aa84b8d3cbcc3fb663b94cd179e8.jpg

20973178_images-2019-10-15T162758_529.jpeg.86dc1c7bff6dd0a707aed9166b006c74.jpeg

carousel_beneteau-first-yacht-53-2019-for-sale-united-states-of-america-001.jpg.89d445ffacc2d83081a244dc2f81f6b2.jpg

831441734_images-2019-10-15T153535_874.jpeg.eebc8a3ace793df132955832d24e32d1.jpeg

FB_IMG_1571114838082.thumb.jpg.70001393d5f9cb6cde3790f7303fbdb7.jpg

beneteau-first-53f5-203198_30e.jpg.b8ea7576f8aaf8ddad332b7c53abca57.jpg

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

In today's dollars the old one is more expensive but more comfortable, better built and fucking tougher.

Sure, but which one's the better Med bunga bunga platform?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

831441734_images-2019-10-15T153535_874.jpeg.eebc8a3ace793df132955832d24e32d1.jpeg

Oh the eighties. Look, there is even a foldable tanning reflector. I love it.

magdasomethingaboutmary.jpg

• Like 2

Can't help but think this all looks a bit 'First World' now.

Slightly obscene.

46 minutes ago, astro said:

Can't help but think this all looks a bit 'First World' now.

Slightly obscene.

Marine industry/tourism a mainstay of many an economy in the undeveloped world. Currently being royally fucked by ConVid. 

So what happened to the First line? It goes 14, and then the former Seascape line of 18,  24, 27. Then 53? Did they just give up on the Firsts in the 30-45 foot range?

19 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

So what happened to the First line? It goes 14, and then the former Seascape line of 18,  24, 27. Then 53? Did they just give up on the Firsts in the 30-45 foot range?

JuanK killed Beneteau’s reputation in that size range it’ll be a long time before they’ll ever consider bringing it back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Marine industry/tourism a mainstay of many an economy in the undeveloped world. Currently being royally fucked by ConVid. 

without getting into the politics of it.., i just a few days ago got an email from friends in a place i have been about 25 times on windsurfing trips saying that the lack of visitors is causing some residents to go hungry - i'm pretty sure this is happening in many places that depend on tourism and have governments without the resources to do much.

1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

Here is the progression for guidance.

If past a guide they haven't quite reached point of launching the 30/40 footer range yet. Simple numbering continued indicates middle of the road.

The pandemic may alter plans there in terms of final product release. Many anticipating a surge in the nimble cruiser market people wanting getting away and self sufficiency feeling etc.  

- 1970's Generation "Firsts" smallest was around 20' I think up to 40'+ IOR.

- 1980's Generation Firsts up to 20' to 50' They put a 3rd fraction in numbers so the big selling First 405 was a 40 footer.

- 1990's Generation Firsts. This was the sexy period and my favourite Stark and Pinifarina interiors bolted onto Farr or Berret. 30' - 53' above the biggest in range. The numbering changed with addition of a F for Farr or S for Stark and confusing.

- Late 1990/Early 2000 Generation Firsts.  This coincided with more mass production techniques and in IMO quality took a tumble.  More utilitarian than the sexy Italian look. Back to 80's numbering but with use of a .7 to signify performance I think.  40.7 probably the most well known. Biggest a 47.7 I think.

- 2000's Generation Firsts Continuation of the .7 range. Biggest 34.7 but the earlier generation 7's still being built.

- Late 2,000/Teens Generation Firsts. Models 20' - 50' The First 40 very popular in IRC. Mixture of designers from Briand Farr to JK's First 30 which was a real fizzer. The Sense plus Oceanis range introduced late in this period was a bit confusing as many thought it indicated maybe an end of the First line. 

- 2019/Early 20's Current First Generation. The top of the range model this 53 footer then selection of 20 footer plus sports/cruisers. They did have a 40 something but put it off and are clearly not in a rush to fill the 30/40 foot range yet and keeping their powder dry waiting market to stabilise 

• Like 1

Thanks, just seems odd. If they hadn't picked up the Seascape line, it would be an even bigger split 14 to 53. Just seems odd given the previous generations of First lineups, and it isn't like other manufacturers aren't making and selling boats in that size range. 

I suspect they may be ok with just using this First 53 as a loss leader. Even if they sell very few, it still drives tones drives traffic at their boat shows and imparts an impression of elegance to the 40-50' cruiser range where they make most of their money. 

And even as a low-volume item, it's probably not too costly to make, given Beneteau's substantial economies of scale, in terms of joinery, parts warehouses, mold-making etc...  The carbon rig & sails are very pricey no doubt, but fittings, deck gear is all stock items on other Beneteaus.

13 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

Thanks, just seems odd.... and it isn't like other manufacturers aren't making and selling boats in that size.  

The addition of the Sense range in last generation has I think confused the fuck out of them and it still is.

As I said many thought that signalled the end of the 40 years of Firsts then they pop this 53 footer out nearly as a "we need to launch something new quick smart".

I would not be surprised if they park the First range for a while and fill that 30/40 range with smaller Sense type weekenders some even more motor/sail types.

Nearly more women than men have final say choosing more boats now. ..which is a leed.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The addition of the Sense range in last generation has I think confused the fuck out of them and it still is.

As I said many thought that signalled the end of the 40 years of Firsts then they pop this 53 footer out nearly as a "we need to launch something new quick smart".

I would not be surprised if they park the First range for a while and fill that 30/40 range with Sense type weekenders.

Interesting. I was curious and looked for the Sense range on their website and the are listing that entire range under their heritage yachts category, so maybe not even that. 

2 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Interesting. I was curious and looked for the Sense range on their website and the are listing that entire range under their heritage yachts category, so maybe not even that. 

maybe they don't want to take sales away from their sunfast range..

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I never understood why when they launched the 3200 they did so under the Jeanneau name, and not the Beneteau name, as at that point Jeanneau hadn't made a race boat for a long time, whilst Beneteau made the Figaros so had the name for short handed race boats.  Seemed odd to me...

21 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I guess that is as good a theory as any. 

23 hours ago, Schakel said:

That is all they are selling. Slick lines. It's not the real thing. They just tweak some old drawings to update the look. But many buyers don't care.

Group Beneteau's basic problem (or maybe it's their strength) in the premium / performance market is brand dilution and lack of consistent focus on that sector. At this point they own Beneteau, Jenneau, Lagoon, Seascape, etc... --  their website references 12 brands and over 200 models.  No doubt this gives them fantastic economies of scale in purchasing, R&D, and production technique, and you have to applaud their willingness to constantly innovate and role out new designs.  While racers might disagree, they clearly meet their core customer base needs  -- and especially the charter business.

But for the handful of their performance models, it's much less clear what the governing philosophy is, or where they intend to go next. It's difficult to say if they keep this part of the business for the prestige and brand marketing, or if they just struggle to hit a critical sales mass and that's why it stays small. I would guess that they'd love to have another out-of-the-ballpark hits like 40.7 or 36.7, but it seems like there's too much (better) competition in those ranges now, from specifically performance-oriented brands. (And their penchant for replacing models every couple years hurts chances at a one design class.)

I can assure you there is a First model sized somewhere around 35ft on the drawing board but it may be poor timing to launch a boat like this now. The SF3600 has all but ceased production although there are some new boats still available at the factory. My guess is the boat will be more cruiser-racer than out and out racer like the SF3300 and up and coming 37ft Sunfast. Think Grand Soleil 34 but 20% cheaper 

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

"Hey Bob, can you lay out the steering position for the new boat?"

"Sure. What do you want? Weather protection? Feeling of safety in heavy weather and during manouvers?"

"Nah. Fuck that. Make it as scary, uncomfortable and dangerous in any bad weather as possible. Think of the guy who bangs your ex now and imagine him tranfering it across the north atlantic while you take the jet."

"God, I hate that fucking douchebag."

"That's the spirit!"

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

I'd sure hate to be tacking that thing in big seas.  Running across that wide hull would be justplain scary.  No dodger and no bimini either.

• Like 1

When I get my coolest performance cruiser on the planet it'll have some kind of slick hard dodger that will be part of what helps her earn the title.

The other thing is, she'll achieve comfortable performance with less heel, in all directions. 

I'm afraid, there will have to be a recount. The coolest performance cruiser title in the mono division still belongs to the Bieker Riptide 55. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mathystuff said:

"Hey Bob, can you lay out the steering position for the new boat?"

Actually the helm and winch position for SH is it's only redeeming cockpit feature. 

images - 2020-05-13T112506.565.jpeg

5 hours ago, savoir said:

I'd sure hate to be tacking that thing in big seas.  Running across that wide hull would be justplain scary.  No dodger and no bimini either.

Pretty sure this boat is never going to be doing that. Also, too much sausage, look like a bunch of dock hands from some snooty Yacht club in their matching shorts and polos. Wankers.

It seems like this is more about being on a boat than sailing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flaming said:

I never understood why when they launched the 3200 they did so under the Jeanneau name, and not the Beneteau name, as at that point Jeanneau hadn't made a race boat for a long time, whilst Beneteau made the Figaros so had the name for short handed race boats.  Seemed odd to me...

Even though Jeanneau and Beneteau are in the same "group" they are managed separately with different philosophies and appeals to buyers-think Pontiac versus Buick back in the 70s/80s.  Even though they share some parts (just like the GM subsidiaries shared motors) they have a very different appeal to customers.  Aside from the Figaro line, Beneteau does not have an interest in designing a racing boat; whereas Jeanneau does.

49 minutes ago, mpbeagle said:

Even though Jeanneau and Beneteau are in the same "group" they are managed separately with different philosophies and appeals to buyers-think Pontiac versus Buick back in the 70s/80s.  Even though they share some parts (just like the GM subsidiaries shared motors) they have a very different appeal to customers.

And we all know this turned out to be a tremendous success. 

Nah, I also think the brands are quite blurred here, much more than e.g. Hanse and Dehler, and partsharing will always decrease your chances to get more distinctive.

Is citroen en peugot (and very funny als french and also in one group psa). There is a differance between the brands, but also there isn't. 

On 5/11/2020 at 10:45 AM, Schakel said:

"Name me a better one in the same range"

clubSwan 50!

AY7Q2274-main.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

No dodger or bimini no thanks

The fact they don't come with a dodger track recessed into the cabin top/cockpit fwd surround as standard is fucking dumb.

4 hours ago, mpbeagle said:

Even though Jeanneau and Beneteau are in the same "group" they are managed separately with different philosophies and appeals to buyers-think Pontiac versus Buick back in the 70s/80s

They also compete against each other pretty ferociously.

solaris 50 or 55. why buy a copy?1106040200_Schermafbeelding2020-05-13om11_10_41.thumb.png.4ce02a2ed216efad3cfffc0dce6a7bbd.png432752769_Schermafbeelding2020-05-13om11_10_52.png.da3522fa7081045fed0ffe214d6101ba.png

41 minutes ago, JMOD said:

solaris 50 or 55. why buy a copy?

Interestingly they sold well when Swan went big boats apart from the Club. Now Swan back in that space and their 48' released same time as the First 53 is best in class by a long shot but more $.

The Solaris price higher than the Beneteau but has some things which don't match that in some detailing areas. For instance (maybe changed now) but the 50 originally had no purpose designed generator space.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, jack_sparrow said:

592657493_images-2019-10-15T153445_547.jpeg.407f7fff549582445565b4b937493e3f.jpeg

FB_IMG_1571115028948.thumb.jpg.4459aa84b8d3cbcc3fb663b94cd179e8.jpg

20973178_images-2019-10-15T162758_529.jpeg.86dc1c7bff6dd0a707aed9166b006c74.jpeg

carousel_beneteau-first-yacht-53-2019-for-sale-united-states-of-america-001.jpg.89d445ffacc2d83081a244dc2f81f6b2.jpg

FB_IMG_1571114838082.thumb.jpg.70001393d5f9cb6cde3790f7303fbdb7.jpg

beneteau-first-53f5-203198_30e.jpg.b8ea7576f8aaf8ddad332b7c53abca57.jpg

How many more mirrors do they want?? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mad said:

How many more mirrors do they want?? 

Cabinet doors. The 3rd longer one on the bulkhead so you can check your atire and dick is on the right side B4 going on watch. Makes space and your dick look bigger too.

So if, and only if, price is of no concern here, I would go with the Shogun 50. But I don't think for a second, this in the same range as the First, other than somewhat in length.

65316038_2457034834359652_97186029059126

I think this thing ticks all the boxes.   A nicely performing, comfortable cruiser.

image.png.677e4ab54e1150b1aa484bc3840f927c.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LSCM24 said:

I think this thing ticks all the boxes.   A nicely performing, comfortable cruiser.

image.png.677e4ab54e1150b1aa484bc3840f927c.png

Some chap had a proper work out with the ugly stick there.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LSCM24 said:

Jimmy Buffet's Surfari/Pirate boat complete with vomit paint job.

38 minutes ago, Matagi said:

So if, and only if, price is of no concern here, I would go with the Shogun 50. But I don't think for a second, this in the same range as the First, other than somewhat in length.

Narrow, shallow, light and quick ...but down below looks as though the design brief was the Russian Gulag look.

What everyone is forgetting, the boat can have a dodger and a Bimini, it’s just a tick on the options list.

No helm protection or cover? Stick the pilot on and sit under the optional spray hood, the pilot will steer better than you, own that fact. And besides this boat fits into a long list of boats of the same cockpit design. It’s no more exposed than a Solaris, Grand Soleil, Hanse, X Yacht, Swan, Italia etc. If this is a big concern add teak foot chocks, Do a core workout once a week and buy proper waterproofs. I’d give the same advice for any of the above boats...

Has anyone here tried speccing up a Clubswan 50? Try €3m. What people seem to forget is the F53 fits into a market space that is very popular and offers most of the performance capability (none of these boats are truly fast boats except maybe the CS50) but comes in more affordable.

Like I said earlier I would take a GS48 because I’d be happy to compromise on space for something that is race capable and will do the whole stylish cruise thing. I race a boat pretty hard and over my experience I have broken more Beneteau’s than I have Grand Soleil’s...your typical part time regatta racer will not break a F53 easily.

• Like 1

I shoulda known better than open a thread started by Schakel (on a very short list of ignored users). Of all the performance cruisers on the market, I guess this another one.

• Like 1

Cabinet doors. The 3rd longer one on the bulkhead so you can check your atire and dick is on the right side B4 going on watch. Makes space and your dick look bigger too.

Or you fly into the fuckers as the boat falls of a wave!!  fucking stupid idea.

14 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

I shoulda known better than open a thread started by Schakel

This :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Hard to enjoy the hookers n blow if you can't anchor up.

1 hour ago, FinnFish said:

Hard to enjoy the hookers n blow if you can't anchor up.

Well, as the mood will reportedly rather resemble a Russian Gulag (re the Sparrow, see above), I think we can do away with that....

1 hour ago, mad said:

Or you fly into the fuckers as the boat falls of a wave!!  fucking stupid idea.

Waves..actually one thing this 53 is not lacking is overhead grab rails in the saloon to give you some chance of not impersonating a flying crash dummy...providing you're not a midget.

images - 2020-05-13T231518.197.jpeg

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Waves..actually one thing this 53 is not lacking is overhead grab rails in the saloon to give you some chance of not impersonating a flying crash dummy...providing you're not a midget.

Monkey stock image. Image of chimpanzee, animal, chimp - 52647087

1 minute ago, mad said:

Monkey stock image. Image of chimpanzee, animal, chimp - 52647087

That must be one of the girls Fish was talking about. Welcome aboard!

18 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Well, as the mood will reportedly rather resemble a Russian Gulag (re the Sparrow, see above), I think we can do away with that....

Not sure gulag is the right word but how do come up with something this ugly?

ka_20190917_0851-1920x1280.jpg

• Like 1

It's a bit Hefneresque. I agree. Probably better to dim the lights. 

Gigidi.

Isn't it a Finish boat? So maybe their sales efforts are oriented eastwards, towards garish shit only a Russian would think looks good?

At least you get them. 

On some modern new boats you don't get them. And the salesman is looking funny when you ask about them. 

I wondered how long it would take you BP ...you are normally quicker than this :D

But a 60' 15yo ???

Jack: Sorry. I have been preoccupied. I'd put this photo up because I just got it and I thought it showed what a boat should look like freed from current trends. I do not find the current boats very inspiring. Too much sameness.

• Like 6

The 53 looks pretty amenable to the addition of a sole mounted traveler if you wanted. At first glance I agree that cockpit looks too exposed, but I wonder if that is a bit related to the scale of the boat. These new designs with little adornment make big boats look small. With the overall size, width of the side decks all the way to the stern, and freeboard, the cockpit may be more secure than it looks.

4 hours ago, Matagi said:

That must be one of the girls Fish was talking about. Welcome aboard!

Donkey kong!
2055838390_Donkeykong.gif.6ed14a23beaf579a4fbc9ac31469928b.gif
Very primitive. How do you think a nice Benteteau first 53 would look like in Scheveningen?
Name: Gezonde sport. Or Donkey Kong?
If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

13 hours ago, Matagi said:

Never having even heard of these things I went to take a look and it seems like they were asking around $7 million for one.  No wonder they didn't sell.  Getting the anchor out must have been fun.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:24 PM, savoir said:

How many bodies would it take to make any difference at all?  Running, that is?

18 hours ago, Starboard!! said:

Isn't it a Finish boat? So maybe their sales efforts are oriented eastwards, towards garish shit only a Russian would think looks good?

Swedish: "The Shogun yacht is designed for people who value modern design and functionality, speed and comfort. It is developed by an experienced Swedish team of yacht designers and boat builders, that were given time to find perfection in every feature during the process. When you sail a Shogun yacht you are making a statement. A statement that you enjoy going through a quality life in great speed, with a taste for contemporary design and style."

I don't seem to like contemporary design and style. 

18 minutes ago, Upp3 said:

Swedish: "The Shogun yacht is designed for people who value modern design and functionality, speed and comfort. It is developed by an experienced Swedish team of yacht designers and boat builders, that were given time to find perfection in every feature during the process. When you sail a Shogun yacht you are making a statement. A statement that you enjoy going through a quality life in great speed, with a taste for contemporary design and style."

I don't seem to like contemporary design and style. 

Do you have to assemble it yourself?

16 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Jack: Sorry. I have been preoccupied. I'd put this photo up because I just got it and I thought it showed what a boat should look like freed from current trends. I do not find the current boats very inspiring. Too much sameness.

You have some French Expedition going there Bob. Nice boat other than that shit you put on the back :D

Performance Cruiser is a joke of a category.

Anyone with enough money to buy a boat like that does not leave the dock if it is 'windy'.  The women don't like it's bumpy and it leans a bit.  For sailing they need more than say 18 knots TW and the sea state after that scares them.

Edit:  The most important criteria is how fast and how far can they go under power. 

1 hour ago, gewoon ik said:

Do you have to assemble it yourself?

Dunno. I would assume that Linjett builds them.

18 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

This is so true.  The only innovation taking place right now is trying to see how much interior can be stuffed into a given LOA.  The styling is all the same and there isn’t much going on from an architecture standpoint.  I think Bob said it somewhere that the adage of form follows function is just an excuse for being a lazy designer....

people love to pan boats like the Shogan or some of Juan K’s designs, but atleast these guys are trying to draw something different.  May not be my cup of tea, but given a choice I’ll take those over these bland designs any day.  

• Like 1