Sign in to follow this  
bgytr

Pacific Northwest cruising

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

+100, a great book and there is another written by someone who followed Wylie's voyages in modern times called following the curve of time.  I have been to most of the places she mentions.  I started cruising w/ my grandparents in mid 1950's and remember many more small communities and people in little hidden spots, loggers, fisherman, and loners.  Some one around almost every corner you looked.  Now it is mostly wealthy part timers and those of us lucky to visit in our boats.

I leave tomorrow for a 4 day river trip on the Ruby/Horesthief section of the Colorado and thought this would be a good re-read at camp. But I can't find it, must have loaned it out. Instead I found the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, that should be a good river float book.

By the way zen, Lopez is one of my favorite places in the San Juan's. Anchored in Fisherman's bay with something delicious from Holly B's, doesn't get much better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bmiller said:

I leave tomorrow for a 4 day river trip on the Ruby/Horesthief section of the Colorado and thought this would be a good re-read at camp. But I can't find it, must have loaned it out. Instead I found the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, that should be a good river float book.

By the way zen, Lopez is one of my favorite places in the San Juan's. Anchored in Fisherman's bay with something delicious from Holly B's, doesn't get much better.

Yep...unless theres a swell running down the Straits.  Then Fisherman's Bay can get a little rock and roll going that might spill your drink.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm personally "meh" about Fisherman.  Entrance is ridiculously shallow, anchorage (at least in the summer) can be crowded and noisy, slamming through the middle of it on jetskis seems to be the primary mode of daytime entertainment, etc.  Yes, Holly B's is awesome, and it's nice to have a grocery store and other shops within walking distance.  Plus the diner the other direction isn't bad (the much-vaunted prime-rib dinner at the Lopez Islander Resort was pretty forgettable)

But if I want a quiet marina with a little civilization around, I much prefer Deer Harbor or Rosario.  For quiet anchorages, Echo Bay, or Reid Harbor, or any of a couple dozen places farther north...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sledracr said:

I'm personally "meh" about Fisherman.  Entrance is ridiculously shallow, anchorage (at least in the summer) can be crowded and noisy, slamming through the middle of it on jetskis seems to be the primary mode of daytime entertainment, etc.  Yes, Holly B's is awesome, and it's nice to have a grocery store and other shops within walking distance.  Plus the diner the other direction isn't bad (the much-vaunted prime-rib dinner at the Lopez Islander Resort was pretty forgettable)

But if I want a quiet marina with a little civilization around, I much prefer Deer Harbor or Rosario.  For quiet anchorages, Echo Bay, or Reid Harbor, or any of a couple dozen places farther north...

I've only been to Fishermans late in the fall, found it fabulous. Been to all the others you mentioned also. Rosario is great, we had the pleasure of being there one day when a piano player was playing along to silent movies. That was like stepping back in history for a little while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IStream said:

That would be Mr. Peacock.

It's a fun show, plus the history of the place is fascinating.  I've always wondered if the Donald Rheem (2nd owner of the property) was related to Richard Rheem, for whom the Rheem Trophy at the Big Boat Series is named.

2028314742_20180710_230602250_iOStweaked.thumb.jpg.f1d7d28ac9f3e049b29785b9c8c52228.jpg

 

The setting isn't bad, either

 

1203304630_20180711_000314923_iOS-Copy.thumb.jpg.1c2694b60a6bb8b035baa33d5de49628.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have friend in Anacortes that own's Rosario. . . he says that it is amazing how much money you can lose trying to run resort. . . especially with a restaurant.

We've had great experiences there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fisherman’s is great if you cruise with bikes, Lopez has great riding and my favorite grocery options. It’s pretty sleepy. I’ve like sailing in and out (do it motored first to learn the lines).  The walk into town isn’t as short as at Friday Harbor so restocking food can be more work.  Islands Marine Center is probably the best chandlery within walking distance of a grocery store though, so it’s a good place to take on a project  

Rosario is great too. It’s going through a huge transformation though and I’m worried it’ll just turn into Roche Harbor East.  My favorite trips to Rosario are actually going by car in spring and spending a long weekend mountain biking at Moran State Park.  Rooms there are really cheap in off season and the bar is great and doesn’t blink an eye at sweaty/muddy cyclists.

It is hard to restock from Rosario unless you hitchhike into town (safe but a little slow). 

Friday Harbor is too much like being in Poulsbo. I see it as a necessary but not my favorite part of San Juan cruising. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Alex W said:

Fisherman’s is great if you cruise with bikes, Lopez has great riding and my favorite grocery options. It’s pretty sleepy. I’ve like sailing in and out (do it motored first to learn the lines).  The walk into town isn’t as short as at Friday Harbor so restocking food can be more work.  Islands Marine Center is probably the best chandlery within walking distance of a grocery store though, so it’s a good place to take on a project  

Rosario is great too. It’s going through a huge transformation though and I’m worried it’ll just turn into Roche Harbor East.  My favorite trips to Rosario are actually going by car in spring and spending a long weekend mountain biking at Moran State Park.  Rooms there are really cheap in off season and the bar is great and doesn’t blink an eye at sweaty/muddy cyclists.

It is hard to restock from Rosario unless you hitchhike into town (safe but a little slow). 

Friday Harbor is too much like being in Poulsbo. I see it as a necessary but not my favorite part of San Juan cruising. 

I loved camping at Moran State Park, especially when you could camp directly on Cascade Lake.  We would hike down to Rosario, and up to Mt. Constitution. . . but that was about 60 years ago.  It was different back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Alex W said:

Rosario is ...going through a huge transformation though and I’m worried it’ll just turn into Roche Harbor East.

That would be sad.  what are they doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found it.  Ugh.

 

master-plan-for-web.jpg.4863cc2fd27c236845f7813c438f6728.jpg

 

So long to the serene, park-like feel of the marina area....

853551701_rosariocopy.jpg.a692c964f1adf808288473928613775c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, view at the front said:

I loved camping at Moran State Park, especially when you could camp directly on Cascade Lake.  We would hike down to Rosario, and up to Mt. Constitution. . . but that was about 60 years ago.  It was different back then.

Moran State Park. I hate to ask.

xbiqykKg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, view at the front said:

That was a long time ago. . . I had no idea?  If you have to ask, wait. . .  you like the Cardinals?

No, they taste a little greasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bmiller said:

I leave tomorrow for a 4 day river trip on the Ruby/Horesthief section of the Colorado and thought this would be a good re-read at camp. But I can't find it, must have loaned it out. Instead I found the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, that should be a good river float book.

By the way zen, Lopez is one of my favorite places in the San Juan's. Anchored in Fisherman's bay with something delicious from Holly B's, doesn't get much better.

Lived on my boat when first coming here in Fisherman Bay.  We are in a magic bubble through all this c-19 bs.  I do take it very seriously being of a certain age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Yep...unless theres a swell running down the Straits.  Then Fisherman's Bay can get a little rock and roll going that might spill your drink.  

 

You are thinking about McKay Harbor at the south end, Fisherman Bay is only really rocky w/ a big SW and the waves only make up in the bay itself, a long way from the straits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex W said:

Fisherman’s is great if you cruise with bikes, Lopez has great riding and my favorite grocery options. It’s pretty sleepy. I’ve like sailing in and out (do it motored first to learn the lines).  The walk into town isn’t as short as at Friday Harbor so restocking food can be more work.  Islands Marine Center is probably the best chandlery within walking distance of a grocery store though, so it’s a good place to take on a project  

Rosario is great too. It’s going through a huge transformation though and I’m worried it’ll just turn into Roche Harbor East.  My favorite trips to Rosario are actually going by car in spring and spending a long weekend mountain biking at Moran State Park.  Rooms there are really cheap in off season and the bar is great and doesn’t blink an eye at sweaty/muddy cyclists.

It is hard to restock from Rosario unless you hitchhike into town (safe but a little slow). 

Friday Harbor is too much like being in Poulsbo. I see it as a necessary but not my favorite part of San Juan cruising. 

Used to single hand my Express 37 in and out of Fisherman Bay on and off my mooring, knew by the rungs on the ladder outside the bay how much water I had going in.  W/ blade up quick tacks easy to make it in and if you know the channel there is 5.5' at a zero tide so I just needed plus 2 to get in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Lived on my boat when first coming here in Fisherman Bay.  We are in a magic bubble through all this c-19 bs.  I do take it very seriously being of a certain age.

If I were in the market for a boat/mooring in Fisherman's bay.

https://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/d/lopez-island-1978-cal-34-sail-boat-with/7096947965.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Moran State Park. I hate to ask.

xbiqykKg.jpg

I wonder if that idiot knows how famous he is?

Another Internet Unknown Celebrity.

Damn near as famous as this guy;

image.png.4595efae18ce3c0e54b3346a32724cdc.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

You are thinking about McKay Harbor at the south end, Fisherman Bay is only really rocky w/ a big SW and the waves only make up in the bay itself, a long way from the straits.

Yes, you are right.  Brain slipped a cog.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 9:12 PM, sledracr said:

That would be sad.  what are they doing?

Replacing the 80s condo type hotel rooms with townhouses, making the pool and grill area by the docks fancier. Overall goal is to make it more expensive and attract a higher end crowd. 
 

These plans have been around a long time and I haven’t been there in the last couple of years to see how they are executing on it. Last time I was there they had just replaced all of the docks to fit larger boats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never found anything better, with as many locations for tide or current. There may be an app now.

 

tidefinder.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blurocketsmate said:

I never found anything better, with as many locations for tide or current. There may be an app now.

 

tidefinder.gif

AyeTides on an iPhone.  Easy to use.  Graphics and Data.  Worldwide coverage.  Cheap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Left Shift said, Aye Tides, interfaces w/ iNavX, data base updates regularly and all the tide and current data comes from the same source, ease of use is the primary qualifier and Aye Tides checks all the boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the great things about the PNW is that the cove next door is often as nice as the "must see" one 50 miles away.

Places like Sucia may be undercrowded because they're not far away enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an app called "PNW Current Atlas" by TinyOctopus LLC that is basically the images from the printed atlas tied to today's tables.  (Was going to say the current current table, but that's confusing...). The advantage is that you can step through the hours by tapping the arrows, so it's almost like an animation. And you don't have to send away for new tables every year.

BTW: It looks like somewhere along the line "Washburn's Tables" have become "Waggoner's Tables."  I totally missed that change... :huh:  

Come to think of it, my printed Current Atlas is almost 30 years old.  I wonder if there have been any refinements to it since then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, toddster said:

There is an app called "PNW Current Atlas" by TinyOctopus LLC that is basically the images from the printed atlas tied to today's tables.  

Beware of that one, basically you get nothing until you are tagged for the "in-app purchase". And it doesn't seem to cover as far north as the printed tables?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Tides Near Me and Tide Now WA.

Aye Tides doesn't come up in the Android App Store, is it iPhone only?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their website says available for Android. 

Aye Tides has an annoying UI feature: when you go back from viewing a particular location, it goes back to reset. Should just back up the crumb trail. If I have just viewed Dodd Narrows, I am quite unlikely to want to view the whole world as the next step. Take me back to a map of the immediate area, not the app launch screen.  But Aye Tides is also one of a very few that also shows current stations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite for tides is the NOAA web site with it's intuitive graph presentation and adjustable date range:
(mouseover the graph to read time/date/sea level - haven't tried it on a phone)

tide.thumb.png.01b533cef745d5410ac62d2069063098.png

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_predictions.html

They have several current options too:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/currents_info.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DDW said:

Their website says available for Android. 

Aye Tides has an annoying UI feature: when you go back from viewing a particular location, it goes back to reset. Should just back up the crumb trail. If I have just viewed Dodd Narrows, I am quite unlikely to want to view the whole world as the next step. Take me back to a map of the immediate area, not the app launch screen.  But Aye Tides is also one of a very few that also shows current stations. 

Where'd you see that?

I went to the Hahn Software page (hahnsoftware.com) and it says this:

"We specialize in Mac and iOS software. Our primary focus is on the software for predicting the tides and currents. We first wrote Mr. Tides in 1999, and we used that as the basis for AyeTides in 2008. We have AyeTides XL for the iPad, and now (new!) AyeTides for, of course, the Mac! We are also working on additional projects for the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://deepzoom.com/ still has the best visualization of NOAA current charts.  I wish there was a good offline version of it for my iPhone, but find the website invaluable.

I don't know why Navionics, iNavX, Raymarine, B&G, and others haven't just copied this visualization technique for their own apps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IStream said:

Where'd you see that?

I went to the Hahn Software page (hahnsoftware.com) and it says this:

"We specialize in Mac and iOS software. Our primary focus is on the software for predicting the tides and currents. We first wrote Mr. Tides in 1999, and we used that as the basis for AyeTides in 2008. We have AyeTides XL for the iPad, and now (new!) AyeTides for, of course, the Mac! We are also working on additional projects for the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac."

Yeah, sorry, must have been the PWN Currents app that said that. I get so confused at this advanced age. Still, that's what you get for buying an off brand phone.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DDW said:

Yeah, sorry, must have been the PWN Currents app that said that. I get so confused at this advanced age. Still, that's what you get for buying an off brand phone.....

Hah!

FWIW, I was a NeXT developer and an early iPhone adopter but things haven't been the same since Jobs passed and Jonny ran amok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True that about Jonny alright....but he's gone now. 

15 years in Apple product development may have made me biased, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biased is fine. Apple's hardware had always been a cut above and I felt about the original iOS like I felt about the NeXTSTEP OS...The designers gave a shit about every little thing, not to mention the big stuff, which made it a joy to use.

Now I'm dealing with Apple laptops cursed with butterfly keyboards, screens with flaky AR coatings, and batteries that cost $500 to replace, while iOS has the Windows curse of three different ways to do everything (none intuitive) and clever marketing terms for every function so you don't know at a glance what anything does. I swear I'm on the phone with my in-laws every week trying to talk them through some iOS or iCloud SNAFU.

Maybe I'm a little bitter, but it was so much better a long time ago...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The San Juan islands might as well be independent countries, they are all very different and unique in there own way with populations reflecting that character.  Bailys Gunkholing book is still very relevant. So many awesome Ancorages but finding them is half the fun of it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IStream said:

Biased is fine. Apple's hardware had always been a cut above and I felt about the original iOS like I felt about the NeXTSTEP OS...The designers gave a shit about every little thing, not to mention the big stuff, which made it a joy to use.

Now I'm dealing with Apple laptops cursed with butterfly keyboards, screens with flaky AR coatings, and batteries that cost $500 to replace, while iOS has the Windows curse of three different ways to do everything (none intuitive) and clever marketing terms for every function so you don't know at a glance what anything does. I swear I'm on the phone with my in-laws every week trying to talk them through some iOS or iCloud SNAFU.

Maybe I'm a little bitter, but it was so much better a long time ago...

I loved OS X. Still do. Probably 4 Macbook Pro's and Airs about the place.

I couldn't stand IOS. Still can't. I've got an Android phone & tablet.

As for the hardware, yeah, somewhere they lost the plot. It used to be quite expensive and rock solid reliable. Now it's just expensive.

I still like OS X though. Might load a few linux distros up, see how I feel about them this time around. I've maybe 5 or 6 Raspberry Pi's about the place and on the boat, I'm quite comfortable with the o/s. Just all those little buggy features and people endlessly reinventing the wheel make it annoying.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 8:45 PM, Left Shift said:

 

4.08 7 knot current instrument.jpg

I'm guessing that was from Van Isle 360 last year after leaving the fish farm towards Telegraph Cove?  Fastest I've ever gone upwind.  Is this on Sonic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this