carlwasher

Newick Outrigger 26/Somersault 26

Recommended Posts

I am helping a friend resurrect a Somersault 26/Outrigger 26. 

 

The boat is named Hulabaloo and we believe it originated out of New Jersey somewhere.

 

We are looking for any info on:

-mast raising

-rigging specs (running and standing rigging dimensions)

-ANY info/manuals or access to present and past owners that we can gain any insight from as we progress with this project.

 

We are located in Upstate New York near Lake Ontario.

 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

 

Regards

Hula.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You scored! There was a thread in Fix-It anarchy about the crossarms and photos of a European one at the end of this page: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/209633-hard-dinks-nesting-dinks-and-why-we-like-them/&page=2 

 

How many of those are there?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a FB group.  I no longer FB so haven't checked recently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 9:50 AM, Russell Brown said:

You scored! There was a thread in Fix-It anarchy about the crossarms and photos of a European one at the end of this page: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/209633-hard-dinks-nesting-dinks-and-why-we-like-them/&page=2 

 

How many of those are there?

 

13 were made.  I do not know if the prototype is included in that count.  It would be great if we could keep track of all and their owners or "boat husbands"  as Dick Newick called them.  We talked and he interviewed me when I bought sail # 8.  He likes to be sure all his "boat daughters"  have good "boat husbands" to care for them.

 

We have Ladybug, sail # 8  We are in Upstate NY near Schenectady. 

Sparky sail # ? is outside Toronto 

Seraphyn sail #? was on Lake Champlain then sold and moved to the south of France

Mini Moxie sail #? was in New Jersey or on Cayuga Lake in upstate NY

name & sail number unknown  in Sweden  

NnIsssoon sail # ? was in Quebec may have been brokered by the multihull source.

Prototype sail 1??  was in northern California and being restored

 Please contact me directly.  I have a lot of drawings, some mine, and some by Dick Newick to share.  I would like to make a list serve like a small F-boat group so we can help each other by comparing notes and restoration projects.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite interesting that the number built is similar to the number of G-32's built. What were you thinking for a forum about the boats? The G-32's have a facebook page called Gougeon multihulls, but I'm not a fan of facebook. Proasailor would be good for advice on that.

How much does one weigh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I race her with an exact (in racing conf. including bedding etc.) 1000kg 

Weighed with a crane ,for a Texel rating of 1.42 and Mocra Tcf 1.20.6

With a couple of degree angle of attack on the “swiveling” daggerboard , she tracks 90 degree tacking angles on GPS

Closer on the compass...

BACA57A5-1590-417D-AB5B-D87857108219.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what year this was posted, but just so you know, I still have many of Dick's designs and offer any of them

for $65.00 per. drawing.   Summersalt is among the plans.

newnaut@gmail.com

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 6:28 AM, dclayman said:

13 were made.  I do not know if the prototype is included in that count.  It would be great if we could keep track of all and their owners or "boat husbands"  as Dick Newick called them.  We talked and he interviewed me when I bought sail # 8.  He likes to be sure all his "boat daughters"  have good "boat husbands" to care for them.

 

We have Ladybug, sail # 8  We are in Upstate NY near Schenectady. 

Sparky sail # ? is outside Toronto 

Seraphyn sail #? was on Lake Champlain then sold and moved to the south of France

Mini Moxie sail #? was in New Jersey or on Cayuga Lake in upstate NY

name & sail number unknown  in Sweden  

NnIsssoon sail # ? was in Quebec may have been brokered by the multihull source.

Prototype sail 1??  was in northern California and being restored

 Please contact me directly.  I have a lot of drawings, some mine, and some by Dick Newick to share.  I would like to make a list serve like a small F-boat group so we can help each other by comparing notes and restoration projects.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I don't keep up with these posts, so don't know when you wrote it.   This is meant as a friendly reminder that my family still owns Dick's designs and they'for sale at greatly reduced prices.   I noticed that you seemed to be offering to share your Dick Newick plans which i hope  you'll understand isn't ethical.

Many thanks,

Pat

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pat Newick said:

Hi Dave,

I don't keep up with these posts, so don't know when you wrote it.   This is meant as a friendly reminder that my family still owns Dick's designs and they'for sale at greatly reduced prices.   I noticed that you seemed to be offering to share your Dick Newick plans which i hope  you'll understand isn't ethical.

Many thanks,

Pat

 

Hi Pat,

    So good to see you post here. And to do it so nicely! Dick was a lucky man and his legacy should be respected.  Dick shared so much with the growing multihull community 'back in the day' and that generosity was not always appreciated. Love to see you protecting his wonderful work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pat Newick said:

Hi Dave,

I don't keep up with these posts, so don't know when you wrote it.   This is meant as a friendly reminder that my family still owns Dick's designs and they'for sale at greatly reduced prices.   I noticed that you seemed to be offering to share your Dick Newick plans which i hope  you'll understand isn't ethical.

Many thanks,

Pat

 

Much respect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reminder Pat.

@carlwasher - just saw this thread. Great to see more boats getting together with so many close to lake Ontario. Let's do a meet up when covid is come and gone? 

My mast section is 4 3/32" x 6 1/2" with a wall thickness of 0.125". I need to check height. This is bigger than Dave's section from memory. 

I have more info at home that I can send out in the next couple of days. I see you already have your mast up but I can also document the process for katchka (x-sparky) when I get it in the water in the next week or two. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave has done a bunch of good work restoring his boat already which i think will be useful to take into account when improving our boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reporting in here about the prototype boat of Newick's SummerSalt design. dclayman, we'd like to get in touch with you. This boat was towed from CO to the San Francisco area a while back, and tucked in to another barn until this past weekend. She's gettin' saved and will be splashed soon. The new owner would like to get any history info he can. We found a mooring ball permit sticker from Chicago in 1987, but that's all we know. Photos and writeup of the weekend project are here:

https://cartersboat.com/2020/07/19/coming-back-to-life/

If anyone knows about this boat, please comment back here or by replying to the Ravenswing blog post

Thanks good people!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi all, Anton here, I have the prototype, I picked it up from Colorado a few years ago, but a bunch of family stuff happened, so I am just getting to work on the boat now. Thanks so much to Greg and all my other friends who showed up to help, kept us on task, and made it so much fun! I can't tell you how excited I am to be finally getting it together. 

The prototype has a 26' mast, while the production boats have a 31' mast, I think. Also the struts/akas/beams are round, whereas the production ones are oval at the end for torsional rigidity and strength. I would love the cahnce to see and measure a production boat sometime to compare, but I am going to just slap it together as fast and cheap as possible so I can sail it around a bit and find out if it has any fatal problems that got fixed in the production models. 

 

I anticipate a light, fast, hopefully well mannered boat, but we'll see, won't we? I am naming her Triple Zero, assuming the first production boat is 001 ;-)

 

I bought drawings from Pat, Thanks Pat!, but they are of the production boat only, alas. 

 

As Greg says, I would love to hear any stories about this boat, or its previous ownership if anyone knows anything. 

 

Anton

Edited by drivejunk
Because I can't type to save my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 40' bucket lift makes mast raising easy, and is a great bosun's chair for other rigging...

Hey, how do I rotate pics, I can't seem to find a button for it...

IMG_3032.thumb.JPG.91829fcc705363bae2596f910e4f9203.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_1598.thumb.jpg.5e3a2e978b4c2ba1fc6c5e1ecc4e57af.jpgOn Seraphim (now Nada) we used a crane that fit into the daggerboard trunk and was supported by lines to three corners.  Always dramatic, but never had an accident.  Hervé may have a shot of the process on Youtube.  IMG_1599.thumb.jpg.a35119952c341e0b41beb984d6a20ca6.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(That's Bill Doelger (co-owner) and my wife attaching the mast to the crane's pulley.  I was slacking with a camera)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that, I saved those pics to my computer for later reference, AND ALSO TO BE ABLE TO SEE THEM RIGHT SIDE UP! Can anyone tell me how to edit the photos for orientation? 

I googled it and didn't' come up with anything, but I am probably doing it wrong. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

before you place the pictures you turn them on your PC, not in the forum.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the stern on the prototype better than the stern on the production models.  I had friends with Vals and that low, flat stern makes getting on and off the boat real easy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 12:36 PM, mowgli said:

before you place the pictures you turn them on your PC, not in the forum.

They are in the correct orientation on my PC, do I have to rotate them to one rotation off so they load correctly here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@drivejunk images have additional information stored in what's called the "exif metadata". The exif metadata can store rotation (eg. 0°, 90°, etc) in addition to the unrotated image pixel data. Maybe sailing anarchy forums don't apply the exif metadata rotation (a bug in the software if that's the case).

I just ran into the same problem elsewhere and found that you can fix the image before uploading using https://www.onlineimagetool.com/en/rotate-png-jpg-webp-gif just select "auto" for rotation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MichalD said:

Maybe sailing anarchy forums don't apply the exif metadata rotation (a bug in the software if that's the case).

The problem is and always has been Apple products.  Images from Macs/iPhones are frequently screwed up on forums and their owners are helpless in dealing with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The broken image rotation has nothing to do with Apple products or Apple users. I suggest we move the image rotation discussion to the FAQ forum (linked below) where you will also see an explanation of the issue and an example from a Google android phone. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@carlwasher  I had a chance to measure some of the rigging yesterday. The forestay is 3/16" stainless. The side stays are 3/8" dyneema. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MichalD said:

The broken image rotation has nothing to do with Apple products or Apple users.

I do understand the issue but it happens only with iPhone pics, never Windows or Android, so there is a connection.  Very old quirk.

P.S.  The image in your FAQ reference appears sideways to me using Google Chrome browser on Windows 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

I do understand the issue but it happens only with iPhone pics, never Windows or Android, so there is a connection.  Very old quirk.

P.S.  The image in your FAQ reference appears sideways to me using Google Chrome browser on Windows 10.

Do you have knowledge of how to deal with it? I am in fact taking photos with an iPhone. I googled the problem and did not come up with anything useful, at least not in the fest 5 pages of search results...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh, much better =) cool project! 

How tall is the mast?

Your sails sit pretty high off the deck. I'm thinking it would be useful to get the clew of my jib higher off the deck to better control twist going upwind. The slope of the deck is pretty radical. Right now I can either (1) move the car up to reduce twist but run the clew into the car too soon or (2) move the car back and spill out the top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, drivejunk said:

They are in the correct orientation on my PC, do I have to rotate them to one rotation off so they load correctly here?

Funny ... the same thing is happening to me... I've been posting here for many years and all of a sudden I cant post a straight pic.... frustrating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MichalD said:

Ahh, much better =) cool project! 

How tall is the mast?

Your sails sit pretty high off the deck. I'm thinking it would be useful to get the clew of my jib higher off the deck to better control twist going upwind. The slope of the deck is pretty radical. Right now I can either (1) move the car up to reduce twist but run the clew into the car too soon or (2) move the car back and spill out the top. 

Mast is 26' long. Other people who own the production version (this is the prototype) have made more of a deck-sweeper jib, presumably that gives them less air leakage out the bottom, and more power. 

The production model stock did not have the weird double bridle that my boat has, and in fact one person put the furler in a hole in the foredeck, but apparently did not use it to get the jib close to the foredeck. 

The white boat is stock, I think, and the yellow boat is the one with the furler in the hole. 

 

http://dicknewickboats.com/outrigger26/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 6:28 AM, dclayman said:

13 were made.  I do not know if the prototype is included in that count.  It would be great if we could keep track of all and their owners or "boat husbands"  as Dick Newick called them.  We talked and he interviewed me when I bought sail # 8.  He likes to be sure all his "boat daughters"  have good "boat husbands" to care for them.

 

We have Ladybug, sail # 8  We are in Upstate NY near Schenectady. 

Sparky sail # ? is outside Toronto 

Seraphyn sail #? was on Lake Champlain then sold and moved to the south of France

Mini Moxie sail #? was in New Jersey or on Cayuga Lake in upstate NY

name & sail number unknown  in Sweden  

NnIsssoon sail # ? was in Quebec may have been brokered by the multihull source.

Prototype sail 1??  was in northern California and being restored

 Please contact me directly.  I have a lot of drawings, some mine, and some by Dick Newick to share.  I would like to make a list serve like a small F-boat group so we can help each other by comparing notes and restoration projects.

Dave

Owned by a man names Bjorn, he converted the boat to a rotating centerboard, because he sails in the Stockholm Skerries, which are shallow and full of rocks. I have his email, I could ask you for the hull number or the sail number if you wish. I would also be happy to ask him if he would mind if I gave him your email. He was talking about maybe selling it in 20-17 though, as he is getting old. 

 I have sailed an F24 a lot, which I must say is a fabulous boat, and has not only a kick up rudder but a centerboard, which makes it a bit idiot resistant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One -Nada in France    

One-Wawaru in Holland

8DA5F25B-E9ED-4CDE-9283-5805CCD30C2B.jpeg

09C64371-61F0-4791-BBDE-8472C38AE5E0.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, Somersault 26 (or "Summer Salt" as Dick wrote on the plans) and Outrigger 26 fans.

I'm the owner of Nada, formerly Seraphim, Hull#10. I would have a lot to reply to previous posts. I know some of the forum contributors and boat owners.

I also tried to compile the boats built and get their sail numbers. So far, I identified 10 boats:

  1. Prototype in California
  2. Gold Rush
  3. Moonshine
  4. Sparky, outside Toronto (year "1984" in listings, though production is said to have started in 1987)
  5. Gulan, in Sweden  
  6. Wawaru, in the Netherlands
  7. NnIsssoon was in Quebec
  8. #8 Ladybug  in Upstate NY near Schenectady. 
  9. #10 Nada (ex Seraphim) in Brittany, France (1990)
  10. #11 Mini Moxie was in New Jersey (1991)

It's great to see the prototype being restored by Anton. Can't wait to see the boat afloat again.

If you want to see some (lots of) videos of an Outrigger 26 sailing, here's my webtv: https://canalzero.streamlike.tv/playlist.php?playlist=0-fbab9f9796ec126e&order=releasedate

Our racing season has started in France. We'll race the Multicup this weekend (we just got a Multi2000 rating), then the Golden Oldies Trophy and the Morbihan Challenge. I guess the video playlist will keep growing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize I omitted Hullabaloo.

So, we have 11 boats out of 13 built (including the prototype I guess).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 8:51 PM, drivejunk said:

Do you have knowledge of how to deal with it? I am in fact taking photos with an iPhone. I googled the problem and did not come up with anything useful, at least not in the fest 5 pages of search results...

Just upload the images to postimages.org or another img host and paste the direct link to the image in the body of a post here. They always have rotate tools if they happen to load wrong (pretty rare). Theforum software will display the image. No fucking around resizing files or hitting SA upload limits. You can also show very high res images that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, waloo said:

Hello, Somersault 26 (or "Summer Salt" as Dick wrote on the plans) and Outrigger 26 fans.

I'm the owner of Nada, formerly Seraphim, Hull#10. I would have a lot to reply to previous posts. I know some of the forum contributors and boat owners.

I also tried to compile the boats built and get their sail numbers. So far, I identified 10 boats:

  1. Prototype in California
  2. Gold Rush
  3. Moonshine
  4. Sparky, outside Toronto (year "1984" in listings, though production is said to have started in 1987)
  5. Gulan, in Sweden  
  6. Wawaru, in the Netherlands
  7. NnIsssoon was in Quebec
  8. #8 Ladybug  in Upstate NY near Schenectady. 
  9. #10 Nada (ex Seraphim) in Brittany, France (1990)
  10. #11 Mini Moxie was in New Jersey (1991)

It's great to see the prototype being restored by Anton. Can't wait to see the boat afloat again.

If you want to see some (lots of) videos of an Outrigger 26 sailing, here's my webtv: https://canalzero.streamlike.tv/playlist.php?playlist=0-fbab9f9796ec126e&order=releasedate

Our racing season has started in France. We'll race the Multicup this weekend (we just got a Multi2000 rating), then the Golden Oldies Trophy and the Morbihan Challenge. I guess the video playlist will keep growing.

Je voulais venir en France pour rendre visite a des amis, et j'allais vous envoyer un message pour demander si je pourrais venir voir votre bateau, mais avec le pandemic, ça va etre un peut plus de temps...

 

Je m'excuse pour mon Français, ça fait des années que je ne l'utilise beaucoup. 

 

Anton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, drivejunk said:

Je voulais venir en France pour rendre visite a des amis, et j'allais vous envoyer un message pour demander si je pourrais venir voir votre bateau, mais avec le pandemic, ça va etre un peut plus de temps...

 

Je m'excuse pour mon Français, ça fait des années que je ne l'utilise beaucoup. 

https://translate.google.com/

Quote

I wanted to come to France to visit some friends, and I was going to send you a message to ask if I could come and see your boat, but with the pandemic, it will be a little longer ...

 

I apologize for my French, I haven't used it a lot for years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some pictures of the MultiCup in Port la Forêt. A nice family reunion : we raced against Moxie and Quicksilver...

 

multicup2.jpg

multicup1.jpg

multicup3.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Do you have any photos of QUICKSILVER from her new home in France?

Sure, lots ;-)

These were taken last weekend.

quick1.jpg

moxie-quicksilver.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, waloo said:

Sure, lots ;-)

These were taken last weekend.

quick1.jpg

moxie-quicksilver.jpg

Looks like MOXIE is sitting considerably lower on her lines than when I knew her on the Vineyard 33 years ago.  What a fine few years that was!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Do you have any photos of QUICKSILVER from her new home in France?

I understand from previous posts that you knew Les Moore and have sailed on the boat. Would you know when exactly she was built / launched? 

Even better: would you have a copy of the NEMA newsletter that followed the March/April 1999 issue? It contained the second episode of Les Moore's story of Quicksilver.

Here's a video of QS I shot in 2017 : https://s.streamlike.com/xdguhb

QS has been significantly improved recently : new rudder under the (new) transom, new semi circular beam, new tiller, magnificent wardrobe... She sails better and faster than ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, waloo said:

I understand from previous posts that you knew Les Moore and have sailed on the boat. Would you know when exactly she was built / launched? 

Even better: would you have a copy of the NEMA newsletter that followed the March/April 1999 issue? It contained the second episode of Les Moore's story of Quicksilver.

Here's a video of QS I shot in 2017 : https://s.streamlike.com/xdguhb

QS has been significantly improved recently : new rudder under the (new) transom, new semi circular beam, new tiller, magnificent wardrobe... She sails better and faster than ever.

http://www.multicoquesconsulting.com/en/multicoques/newick-quicksilver-40/

Quote

This boat with a canoe stern was built by Leslie Moore and Mike Conley in Massachusetts in 1979. Designed for regattas in the USA, it raced for almost 20 years on the East Coast and participated in the Newport Bermuda Race multihull in 1979, 1981 and 1983. Race he won in 1983 in corrected time. Brought back to France in 1990, then sold to the current owner Michel Geoffroy in 2002, it was renovated in 2004 and 2016. (Inboard engine, bow thruster, mast, sails, rigging)

IMG_3382.thumb.jpg.e153434682a3d45f97117251e0b23024.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     Still one of my favorite rides ever. I sailed on it the summer after the 1986 Carlsberg Two Star and then came back the next spring to build that big traveller horse across the back. Mike had come up with a Gougeon B mast that we fit to it with disappointing results. I was convinced that QUICKSILVER would be just the boat for me to do the OSTAR in 88 but not with that monster mast onboard. It turned the boat into a death trap even on the NEMA circuit and singlehanded in the TransAt would have been suicide... 

    I think  that aluminum spar in the photo was the original but it was stepped further aft originally and had a ribbon of a main sail with a backstay and a huge overlapping Genoa much like the Prout rig that never quite became popular back when the boat was built. 

    The mods as of now look great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now