Good to see the old war horses in all of their glory.

Myron took care of her for years, and built the funny moulded fiberglass engine cowling wich minimised the space taken up but the engine in the middle of the cabin.. She was a sweet ride.

She didn't have any IOR bumps and measured in as a maxi MORC as I remember it. Gary Mull design.

Talk about a stroll down memory lane!?  

Ta for that Video - reminded me to be thankful for all the good stuff I've had the great fortune to experience ....they were great times...great teams with comrades, great regattas in fantastic locations...and yes, great boats...as one of them was so aptly named...Great Fun!

Ha,  those were hairy chested days!  Memories of stiff Line 7s, wet curly dog hair, and  close crossings where the tactician could have passed the bow a drink in passing.  I think we were in it for the sheer madness of the boat dropping deeper and deeper into the hole in the water the more we pushed it.  That and the racer-chasers, of course. 

There aren't many people that I would merrily trust to leave a shore and cross a windy ocean with, and they all come from that era.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, crashdog said:

here aren't many people that I would merrily trust to leave a shore and cross a windy ocean with, and they all come from that era.

Good observation.

The old IOR days were as good as it got. Yes, the boats were slow compared to what we sail now, but technology and materials have advanced about 35 years since the last IOR boat was built. It was without a doubt the most fun you could have with your clothes on.

• Like 3

Yes, it was lots of fun, particularly for us itinerant boat jockeys.  Cowes, Sydney, SORC, Hawaii, Sardinia and about everywhere else too.  And some magic deliveries on the big boats.

Bashing uphill with a number 5 jib and two reefs, the only decisions were which kite to carry for the next leg, and do we do a bear-away set or gybe set.  Or the miraculous race-winning tack-gybe-set if it was a starboard rounding. 

And which staysail to plug in afterwards.

I know I sound like a cracked record, but it really was a metric shed-load of fun.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Mine - 

Pretty-Penny-1.jpg

Unless my memory fails me she was docked in the SFYC harbor for many years along with a sister ship Shadow. Lots of good times racing against both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Ta for that Video - reminded me to be thankful for all the good stuff I've had the great fortune to experience ....they were great times...great teams with comrades, great regattas in fantastic locations...and yes, great boats...as one of them was so aptly named...Great Fun!

Great Fun (Davidson 50) continued to have a long life as a single-handed ocean racer around here.

Oh Baby, what a time we had. Loved the sail inventories as a sailmaker, light #1, Heavy #1, Medium #1, #2,3,4, storm jib and staysails, spinnakers, bloopers, and on and on plus the winch farms and hydraulics for everything.  Great to see the photos, definitely brings back a lot of memories, and did we have fun when not on the race course?  Just sayin, what happened at the regatta stayed at the regatta.

• Like 4

The opening photos was made in 1990.  Last time an IOR regatta was held.  Yeah sure they were cool back in the day.  But so was Bush 41 and Reagan.

Does anyone know who shot the pictures of the 50's in Newport?  In particular the shot of SPRINGBOK under water in a jibe?

1 hour ago, JimBowie said:

The opening photos was made in 1990.  Last time an IOR regatta was held.  Yeah sure they were cool back in the day.  But so was Bush 41 and Reagan.

1990 was not the last IOR regatta...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, snake said:

Does anyone know who shot the pictures of the 50's in Newport?  In particular the shot of SPRINGBOK under water in a jibe?

Nope... was distracted that day.

IMG_20200519_001731.jpg

• Like 2

Great video.  The Glory Days for sure.... Think Blackaller was on the helm in one of those shots?

F'ing rubber Line 7 gear duck taped to rubber boots.... 

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

1990 was not the last IOR regatta...

When was?

Somehow, and I know all their faults, the late IOR yachts just look like proper raceboats to me.

5 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

When was?

Somehow, and I know all their faults, the late IOR yachts just look like proper raceboats to me.

Well the 93 Whitbread was IOR Maxi...and unless my memory and photos are wrong there was still IOR at Cowes Week that year. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

The IOR boats looked very edgy compared to the RORC boats that preceded them. More race oriented by late period. Huge cockpits compared to the more seamanlike offshore arrgts previously.

13 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

the more seamanlike offshore arrgts previously.

Is that some sort of pirate thing?

Just now, SloopJonB said:

Is that some sort of pirate thing?

Yes for sure.

11 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Unless my memory fails me she was docked in the SFYC harbor for many years along with a sister ship Shadow. Lots of good times racing against both.

Her original owner was once the commodore of the San Francisco yc

12 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Oh Baby, what a time we had. Loved the sail inventories as a sailmaker, light #1, Heavy #1, Medium #1, #2,3,4, storm jib and staysails, spinnakers, bloopers, and on and on plus the winch farms and hydraulics for everything. 

There was SO much going on in front of the mast...

2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Sure they do.

Just like all the millennials think of Emma Watson as a sex symbol. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Sure they do.

Just like all the millennials think of Emma Watson as a sex symbol. 

emma-watson.jpg&q=85

or

a99dc8298b33c91e4e4ce69873970d96?width=1

• Like 2

^^^ I'm not exactly a millenial, but... I probably wouldn't kick her out for eating crackers in bed.

ed477c16811418c975f68bad9d4bcce4.thumb.jpg.0f0c1eb4105171c21dd0a668bfcaf340.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, sledracr said:

^^^ I'm not exactly a millenial, but... I probably wouldn't kick her out for eating crackers in bed.

Dude!

You're not a millennial. You're a tired old dude applying for a position well above your pay grade. Any woman younger than 50 looks like Miss America to someone in their 60s. Hell, I'd go for it just to be free of the cellulite! Nothing quite as silly or sad as a crusty old fart going after someone half his age.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

You're not a millennial. You're a tired old dude applying for a position well above your pay grade.

<lmao>  so... you're saying I have a shot?

1 hour ago, sledracr said:

<lmao>  so... you're saying I have a shot?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sledracr said:

She looks like Twiggy in 1967

3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Nothing quite as silly or sad as a crusty old fart going after someone half his age.

This ^^^

Even if they succeed.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, Black Jack said:

Mine - 

Pretty-Penny-1.jpg

A few years ago there was a user here "prettypenny" who was the new owner. Are you the new new owner? So great to see her in great shape and being loved and sailed.

• Like 1

Too Impetuous - Graham Lambert's steed in the early 80s.  With Di Hard (sister of Hitchhiker) and Surefoot (ex-Big Foot) she made up the 1983 Admiral's Cup team for Papua New Guinea.  And after Fresh, Clayboy and I delivered them back from the ship in Moresby to Sydney, the same team did the Southern Cross.  I was on Surefoot which had been bought by Ray Roberts.

Lambchops was (hopefully still is) an all round good bloke.

• Like 3

I

3 hours ago, fastyacht said:

A few years ago there was a user here "prettypenny" who was the new owner. Are you the new new owner? So great to see her in great shape and being loved and sailed.

I am. Pretty Penny has always been ideal for me. My wife bought her for me because she want to sail with me.  She wanted creature comforts like a head, a truly finished cabin and an inboard - all the things my boat did not have. She is excited to sail with me which makes my heart sing.  To get her - I had one condition - i had to sell my planked framed  Mull 30 - hull 1, Lively Lady. She was on Craigslist for only a couple day. The nice owner got a for a song.  we closed the deal as soon as we took a sea trial today up and down the estuary.  She sailed wonderfully.  I have first dibs if he ever sells her.  The new owner plans to sail her out of richmond.  She has been a project of mine for 5 years. I will miss her very much. I have first right of refusal if they want to sell her which helped ease my heartache.

00T0T_4BVk9S2cnzN_600x450.jpg

00F0F_kPtxzYu5Iuf_50x50c.jpg

• Like 1

Funny, I thought I remembered Pretty Penny with a varnished transom when Gordon Strawbridge owned her. Maybe I am confusing her with one of the Gemini twins.

3 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Too Impetuous - Graham Lambert's steed in the early 80s.  With Di Hard (sister of Hitchhiker) and Surefoot (ex-Big Foot) she made up the 1983 Admiral's Cup team for Papua New Guinea.  And after Fresh, Clayboy and I delivered them back from the ship in Moresby to Sydney, the same team did the Southern Cross.  I was on Surefoot which had been bought by Ray Roberts.

Still going strong, golf 3 times a week and sailing every saturday in summer, most of the crew have sailed with him since the Impetuous days

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snake said:

That Springbok image is from Sail magazine, Jan 1991 (from the final 50-Foot World Cup Series held in Narrangansett Bay)

Is it me but was flying a blooper about 10x harder?

21 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Nope... was distracted that day.

IMG_20200519_001731.jpg

Wrong thread, that's not an IOR boat!!! :P

9 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Are those bloodstains on the blooper?

Wire halyards and guys with meat hooks....

47 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

So yes, bloodstains :)

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Hooks..it was fucking brutal being a rigger back then. 

s-l300.jpg

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

So yes, bloodstains :)

Bloodstains???..Bowman were lucky to get fucking home live back then.

images - 2020-05-19T234633.616.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

In the gkorious cup years of the turn of the century indeed, one did not come home.

13 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Blooper made a reappearance 35 years later

image.thumb.png.68846fe6f7c6527550ab8af7830775d1.png 

imp 2.jpg

That blooper is the friggin ugliest sail ever made.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sledracr said:

Probably eating.. ..IOR.. if they didn't smoke and bring food they were gone.

images - 2020-03-15T132538.675.jpeg

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

A good Bowman made even the dumbest afterguard look brilliant.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, sledracr said:

I would more room on the floor:D

9 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I would more room on the floor:D

Why bother??...In IOR there was always carpet down there...though not necessarily matching the colour of their curtains.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Why bother??...In IOR there was always carpet down there...though not necessarily matching the colour of their curtains.

We can fix that

34 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

We can fix that

Good luck explaining that "fix" to the Jewish girls who prefer their men IOR.

IMG_20200509_110334.jpg.bf0783ff66dbea1bbb8e065e8900528e.jpg

7 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I just puked a little bit thanks

Not sure if that is antisemitic or misogynist. Please clarify.

:)

On 5/17/2020 at 8:25 PM, Couta said:

Great Fun met a sorry end, as did her then owner. Seems that he put out his Mayday a little before the open seacocks got the job done. Life rafts are for climbing up into.

• Like 1

They weren't all bad, those IOR race horses.

A long time ago, Brad Butterworth gave a talk at GIYS about sailing CERAMCO in the Whitbread. It was a fantastically inspiring talk and slide show. Some of the photos of her looked like she was doing 20 knots! I can't find those photos on the internet.

Here's a nice little write up on her for you young people haha.

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/04/ceramco-new-zealand-farr-68.html

• Like 1

IOR Lives Matter!

• Like 6

Another interesting part of that time was the lack of automated navigation and 'weather routing'.

Loran was a coastal navigation aid! Celestial navigation was a requirement!

Weather info came via weatherfax - on paper, what every 6 hours?

A computer didn't ask you to choose 1 of 10 routing options based on several weather models integrated with your polars!

A tad more seat of the pants back in the day...

• Like 1

You mean skillfull

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lydia said:

You mean skillfull

+1

On 5/19/2020 at 3:54 AM, P_Wop said:

I had the "pleasure" of looking after Clayboy and Fresh at Lymington in 83 when I was at Berthon. On arrival, install PNG embassy on the roof of the Ship Inn on the quay and hold a welcome party.... Clayboy was THE male model of the day, famous photos of his shock of blonde hair, but most impressive were his shorts which had more holes than fabric, and his boat shoes with almost no sole attached to upper, and a gait which every would be BN tried to copy.

Wish I could still find their joint business card, which extoled their services, including boats delivered, wars started, virgins deflowered ....

Happy days, specially when you see what Fresh went on to do. Clayboy perhaps just stuck to the wars and virgins bits?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 11:28 AM, lydia said:

You mean skillfull

Yes, but I didn't want to offend the snowflakes that are paid to trim a single line...

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, P_Wop said:

Di Hard alive and well in Phuket Thailand. Swept spreaders tiller, minimum overlap headies, look at the sheeting angle! LCG keel  noice...yysw232354.jpg.664d11a62a5de3a881ebb49610a49f9d.jpg

• Like 2

Fuckers.

Sailing in fucking shorts and fucking tee-shirts.

Bastards.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Fuckers.

Bastards.

You get 3 days a year.  What are you complaining about? :lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Fuckers.

Bastards.

There are some that are fluent  at swearing but others take it to a higher level ☺

On 6/12/2020 at 1:06 AM, Lowly Crew said:

There are some that are fluent  at swearing but others take it to a higher level ☺

Fair enough. I'll try harder in future.

Fucking happy now?

• Like 1

It's a fascinating word, isn't it?  It can be used as a verb, a noun, an adjective, an exclamation and an adverb.

An example is the famous Australian phrase describing the demise of a piece of deck gear:

"Fuck! The fucking fucker's fucking fucked."

• Like 5

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

It's a fascinating word, isn't it?  It can be used as a verb, a noun, an adjective, an exclamation and an adverb.

An example is the famous Australian phrase describing the demise of a piece of deck gear:

"Fuck! The fucking fucker's fucking fucked."

"What the fuck was that?"

- Last words of the Mayor of Hiroshima

George Carlin
'The History And Many Uses Of The Word Fuck'

Perhaps one of the most interesting words
in the english language today, is the word f***.
out of all of the english words which begin with the letter f, f*** is the only word referred to as the "f" word, it's the one magical word.
fuck as most words in the english language,
is derived from german,
the word "fricken[?]", which means to strike.
in english, f*** falls into many grammatical categories.
As a transitive verb, for instance.
john fuck-ed shirley.
as an intransitive verb, shirley fucks.
it's meaning's not always sexual; 
it can be used as an adjective, such as
john's doing all the fuck-ing work.
as part of an adverb,
shirley talks too fuck-ing much.
as an adverb enhancing an adjective,
shirley is fuck-ing beautiful.
as a noun, i don't give a f***.
as part of a word abso-fucking-lutely,
or in-fucking-credible.
and, as almost every word in the sentence,
fuck the fuck-ing fuck-ers.
As you must realize, 
there aren't too many words 
with the versatility of f***.
as in these examples describing situations
such as fraud,
i got fuck-ed at the used car lot.
dismay, aw f*** it.
trouble, i guess i'm really fuck-ed now.
agression, don't f*** with me buddy.
difficulty, i don't understand this fuck-ing question.
inquiry, who the f*** was that?
dissatisfaction, i don't like what the f*** is going on here.
incompetence, he's a fuck-off.
dismissal, why don't you go outside and play hide-and-go-fuck yourself?
I'm sure you can think of many more examples.
with all these multi purpose applications,
how can anyone be offended when you use the word?
we say, use this unique, flexible word more often in your daily speech.
it will identify the quality of your character immediately.
say it loudly, and proudly!
fuck you!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mudsailor said:

Always reminds me of The Commitments. Something about the Irish way of swearing that elevates it.

• Like 1

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 5:04 PM, cms said:

I had the "pleasure" of looking after Clayboy and Fresh at Lymington in 83 when I was at Berthon. On arrival, install PNG embassy on the roof of the Ship Inn on the quay and hold a welcome party.... Clayboy was THE male model of the day, famous photos of his shock of blonde hair, but most impressive were his shorts which had more holes than fabric, and his boat shoes with almost no sole attached to upper, and a gait which every would be BN tried to copy.

Wish I could still find their joint business card, which extoled their services, including boats delivered, wars started, virgins deflowered ....

Happy days, specially when you see what Fresh went on to do. Clayboy perhaps just stuck to the wars and virgins bits?

Hey, i remember the PNG Admirals Cup team at Berthons in 1983. I was an apprentice there, apart from Di Hard, the other memorable thing was their boat car that had loads of flattened beer tins rivetted to the body work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

"Chucky" is a derogatory term used by loyalists in the North to refer to republicans. It is an anglicised version of the Irish word Tiocfaidh (pronounced chucky). "Tiocfaidh ar la" was/is a slogan of some in the Irish republican movement and it means Our day will come. What's disturbing to me is that such a young child is parrotting it withe the F word. Obviously taught by parents.

Here endeth the lesson.

And all this time I thought she was talking about CHUCKY!!!

Chucky' TV Series a Go at Syfy | Hollywood Reporter

On 6/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, Mudsailor said:

George Carlin

out of all of the english words which begin with the letter f, f*** is the only word referred to as the "f" word, it's the one magical word.
is derived from german,
john fuck-ed shirley.
as part of an adverb,
or in-fucking-credible.
As you must realize, 
such as fraud,
dismay, aw f*** it.
fuck you!

Out-fucking-standing work!

On 6/13/2020 at 7:59 PM, Mudsailor said:

George Carlin

is derived from german,
john fuck-ed shirley.
as part of an adverb,
or in-fucking-credible.
As you must realize, 
such as fraud,
dismay, aw f*** it.
fuck you!

I’m sorry, I’ve no more to give...

- Stumbling 

On 6/11/2020 at 6:25 PM, Shiraz said:

Di Hard alive and well in Phuket Thailand. Swept spreaders tiller, minimum overlap headies, look at the sheeting angle! LCG keel  noice...yysw232354.jpg.664d11a62a5de3a881ebb49610a49f9d.jpg

Die Hard in her heyday on the cover of Seahorse Magazine 1983.

IMG_20200615_0001.jpg

15 hours ago, Black Sox said:

"Chucky" is a derogatory term used by loyalists in the North to refer to republicans. It is an anglicised version of the Irish word Tiocfaidh (pronounced chucky). "Tiocfaidh ar la" was/is a slogan of some in the Irish republican movement and it means Our day will come. What's disturbing to me is that such a young child is parrotting it withe the F word. Obviously taught by parents.

Here endeth the lesson.

Agree.

7 hours ago, fivestar said:

Die Hard in her heyday on the cover of Seahorse Magazine 1983.

IMG_20200615_0001.jpg

Fresh with (some) hair facing the camera.

1 hour ago, sailingbeme said:
17 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Here endeth the lesson.

Agree.

It occurred to me later that Chucky could be construed in the same vein as the N word, in that it would have been used by a more powerful section of society against a less powerful section. Not saying that it offends me particulary but I'm sure there are those who would be offended. Mind you, that goes for just about anything these days.