Sign in to follow this  
johnanom

Melges 24 - Water Underneath Cabin Floor

Hello,

Thanks for reading. I have a Melges 24 Hull #4, built in '93.

Cleaning the boats insides, water is accumulating underneath the cabin floor. When I bounce on the floor I can hear the water underneath.

Very hard to get a shop vac in there, just wondering if others have experience with this issue.

Thanks!

20200517_154440.jpg

Stop bouncing. It's hull #4. 

If you tilt boat on trailer, or leave on a hill will you be able to get at it? If not carefully core a hole on the sole smaller than vacuum nozzle and try suck it out like a catholic school girl? 

8 hours ago, Irish River said:

If you tilt boat on trailer, or leave on a hill will you be able to get at it? If not carefully core a hole on the sole smaller than vacuum nozzle and try suck it out like a catholic school girl? 

Irish!  Im offended.  My wife is the quintessential catholic school girl! I'm highly offended!  Her sucking ability would be no match for hull 4!

8 hours ago, Irish River said:

Thanks for your response. I am able to get at some of it with the trailer tilted, but I don't like the idea of it being consistently wet down there and not being able to see it. Perhaps a small porthole or plugged hole is necessary.

Stick a vacuum hose through the instrument panel access and behind the little bulkhead.

Could you stick a dehumidifier in the boat and dry it out? We use a dehumidifier with a lift pump and dump the water in the cockpit with the hatch closed up. In about 24 hours it bone dry.  

100 lb sacks of rice left on the bunk tops will absorb all that water and humidity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

100 lb sacks of rice left on the bunk tops will absorb all that water and humidity.

and weight 400# when time to remove

Newer boats have the floor cut out so that the problem you are experiencing does not happen. 

I am sure no one in the class would object if you modified 004 to match, and then got re-weighed/certed to confirm.

image.png.b704759422f153e1087e3e1734e2d5b6.png