Sign in to follow this  
Ter

Bowsprit

Looking for suggestions on rigging bowsprit to be adjustable, hinge at forebeam. Don't want to be locked in with stationary bobstays. I'm thinking dyneema through a couple low friction rings back to a clutch? She's a Raider 302. 6' pole. Thanks in advance.

Disconnect the sail & stay, lower the front of the pole a little using the hold-up line allowing the back end to slide up and out of its connection (perhaps after releasing securing pin) and withdraw the pole backwards. That way your bobstay and side stays can use normal shackle connections that are not subject to chafe. Installation is the reverse.

52 minutes ago, djh said:

Disconnect the sail & stay, lower the front of the pole a little using the hold-up line allowing the back end to slide up and out of its connection (perhaps after releasing securing pin) and withdraw the pole backwards. That way your bobstay and side stays can use normal shackle connections that are not subject to chafe. Installation is the reverse.

Problem is/would be with the prodder out 6 feet, how to "release" connections to raise the prodder to either change connections or at a marina.

Lowering the tip of the sprit, extracting the inboard end from the mount and sliding the sprit inboard is quick and simple, do it all the time with my 7' sprit.

So that would be for stowage- are you looking for side to side swing adjustment - to get the tack off centerline?

If you are don't underestimate the loadings - clutches on Dyneema won't cut it.

9 minutes ago, boardhead said:

If you are don't underestimate the loadings - clutches on Dyneema won't cut it.

Perhaps with multi-part purchase (e.g. 4:1) but definitely not without.

• Like 1

We've been using a Wichard snap shackle as a bobstay quick disconnect on our F82R for about six months now with good results.

It connects to a spectra strop which passes through the bow just above the stationary waterline.

The bowsprit (about 5' long) is hinged to fold upwards with a single horizontal bolt, and when unfolded the butt of the bowsprit rests against the bow taking compression loads. 

The safe working load of the shackle is about he same as the sailing weight of the boat, so I expect it's strong enough.

The main downside is that you have to reach down from the bow or dock to disconnect, but otherwise it has been quite effective.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:33 PM, boardhead said:

Lowering the tip of the sprit, extracting the inboard end from the mount and sliding the sprit inboard is quick and simple, do it all the time with my 7' sprit.

Makes sense. 

On 5/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, gspot said:

We've been using a Wichard snap shackle as a bobstay quick disconnect on our F82R for about six months now with good results.

It connects to a spectra strop which passes through the bow just above the stationary waterline.

The bowsprit (about 5' long) is hinged to fold upwards with a single horizontal bolt, and when unfolded the butt of the bowsprit rests against the bow taking compression loads. 

The safe working load of the shackle is about he same as the sailing weight of the boat, so I expect it's strong enough.

The main downside is that you have to reach down from the bow or dock to disconnect, but otherwise it has been quite effective.

I was thinking about rigging in a snap shackle the same fashion but didn't want to be dangling from the bow to release her and fold up. Trogear had a diagram for a 2:1 purchase but it was for a monohull. Was thinking about doing something similar but 4:1 and from the safety of the tramp.

Check out the pictures and discussion on the "Bowsprit Retrofit" topic.

Still unsure if the question in this topic was sprit rigging relative to stowage or off centerline articulation, either way a simple, robust, inboard universal mount is key. The thrust loading is substantial although it can be reduced with efficient bobstay anchor location.

My Corsair 31, and I think many, came with a 2:1 bobstay to hold the sprit down.  The line is tied to the bow eye at the water line, leads up to a big harken block on the end of the sprit then back down to another harken block on the bow eye then straight up to, and over, the anchor roller to a small dedicated cleat on the bow.  My sprit hinges up and down.  Works great.  Be sure to tie a halyard to the end of the sprit if you leave it out.  A friend had his just dangling from the stock Corsair retaining cable on the pulpit.   Its not made to take any force other than the weight of the sprit when at rest.  In big waves and wind on the ocean my buddies sprit was being continuously dunked in and out of the water and finally the retaining line had enough and the the sprit and its bow fitting was torn off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Perfect place for low friction rings

On smaller boats with lighter loads!

Stay tuned. Got the sprit. Will post pics as soon as I get something together. Thanks for the ideas.

• Like 1