us7070

North Sails "Norlam" - What is it?

I googled Norlam.., but didn't learn much...

I think maybe they don't use it anymore.., or maybe they call it something else.

North has a habit of throwing NOR in front of any material they buy and then resell as a finished product. Ipso facto their Dacron sails are made of Nordac.

2 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

North has a habit of throwing NOR in front of any material they buy and then resell as a finished product. Ipso facto their Dacron sails are made of Nordac.

That might be a bit of an oversimplification.

North’s got a cloth department and looms. I think they weave/wove Nordac. They likely buy the yarn but if you’re breaking it down that far who really makes anything?

I think they're pretty good about telling you when you’re buying a 3rd party cloth (ie Airx kites).

Leftover HoodLam or QuantLam relabeled?

But for 40% more?

I remember Norlam from waaaaayyy back. I only seemed to see the delammed Norlams so unless it is something they re-introduced you are probably talking very old cloth.

Woven polyester laminated to monofilament. 

Since the early 90's, NorLam has been the group name for many of the proprietary paneled laminate fabrics North makes.  The name is used less now than it was 20 years ago but North still makes a lot of laminate sailcloth. They have a very extensive weaving and laminating facility in Sri Lanka with some of the best equipment and people in the laminate cloth world running it.

• Like 2

Norlam used to be what North called its cruising laminate for tri radial, paneled sails.  It was a polyester scrim sandwiched between Mylar film, with light weight polyester taffeta son both sides.  I don’t know if they are still selling it or not. 

It’s pretty comparable to contender’s CDX and dimension polyant’s DCX.  There are incremental improvements in all three company’s products every few years.  

The Norlam I've seen was just mylar film sandwiched between two layers of taffeta. Cheap to make and not comparable to DCX or CDX.. And cloth companies always say they improve but that isn't always true. DP went though a really bad period with their DC cruising laminates where it all de-laminated, after being good for a long time before. 

Anyway maybe Norlam has been replaced by other products now like 3di nordac. And Im not sure North even weave their own dacron anymore - The Nordac premium from what I have seen was a very good dacron, but discontinued. Last I heard it was Challenge cloth re branded as Nordac. Who really knows :)

I think NORLAM specifically is an old designation.

AFAIK North are now making all their own cloth in-house in their Sri-Lanka plant (apart from the Nevada 3Di site). The laminated materials are now referred to as North Panel Laminates (NPL) and broken down into different models depending on the composition of the yarns/scrim/taffeta. It does all seem to be explained on their website (https://www.northsails.com/sailing/en/sails/materials/npl/tour) but they do appear to be guilty of using random in-house descriptions/names rather than simply identifying by the materials used which COntender and DP are typically more upfront about..

This is partly because North are selling direct to consumers where as DP and Contender are just cloth suppliers marketing to other sailmakers so their business model and advertising strategy will be different..

On 5/26/2020 at 7:21 AM, Kestrahl said:

The Norlam I've seen was just mylar film sandwiched between two layers of taffeta. Cheap to make and not comparable to DCX or CDX.. And cloth companies always say they improve but that isn't always true. DP went though a really bad period with their DC cruising laminates where it all de-laminated, after being good for a long time before. 

Anyway maybe Norlam has been replaced by other products now like 3di nordac. And Im not sure North even weave their own dacron anymore - The Nordac premium from what I have seen was a very good dacron, but discontinued. Last I heard it was Challenge cloth re branded as Nordac. Who really knows :)

I think Kestrahl is correct about the cruising version of Norlam way back when.  It had row skins of warp oriented Dacron on the outside, with one layer of mylar film in the center.  The racing version of Nordic was a Dacron cloth core in the center, with mylar on the outside.

This is From the 2004 archive of North’s website:

PicturePolyester laminates are the next step up in performance from woven polyesters. They combine Mylar™ film with polyester cloth in two or more plies. The much looser construction allows for flat, straight yarns, especially as compared to the pure woven cloth above, and a warp oriented layout. The cloth can be woven more loosely because the Mylar film provides diagonal stability. North NorLam™ laminated polyesters deliver lower stretch and lighter weight than woven polyesters. For cruisers, the laminate structure is typically a Mylar core with polyester cloth on both sides (see close-up left). For racers, a heavier, stiffer Mylar film is typically laminated to one or both sides of a cloth core.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040603142329/http://na.northsails.com/North_Cloth/fiber_to_fabric.html