FishFood

Tips For Being Rescued

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Here is the thread that is the genesis of the saga: 

Basically, he picked up a beautiful Peterson 1/2 Ton named Scorpion .  Beautiful boat, but a woody, so hard to sell.  I assume he got it for next to nothing though because it was for sale about 8 years ago with no takers i was aware of.

His first voyage wasn't much - mainly a bunch of bluster as far as i could tell since he was constantly moving the goal posts on what he planned to do and on which boat (he talks about some type of Hobie beach cat as well IIRC).

The rescue if my memory serves me correct was simply a matter of Scorpion coming loose from it's mooring and drifting off to a dock or some other hard place during a storm. He had some help recovering her but she was pretty much unscathed from the incident I believe.

Nice photo of Scorpion below.  Looks like it was taken on Feb 14 of this year - sometime after said incident.

 

 

20200214_093110_1581701471560.thumb.jpg.f4c8d1631bb44d3c5a91be5136ad88ac.jpg

Oh man.... what a bummer, the boat is so cool! Makes me sad that he didn't even care enough to try to wrestle the main back up or jury rig any other sail and stay with her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BlondeWithFreeBoat said:

Oh man.... what a bummer, the boat is so cool! Makes me sad that he didn't even care enough to try to wrestle the main back up or jury rig any other sail and stay with her. 

He’s a clueless idiot that doesn’t listen, it’s not really surprising. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of makes me wish I had taken him up on the free boat offer.  Would have been costly to get it up into Canada - plus the border was shut down shortly after he made the free boat offer.  But it would have been cool to have a one off later generation Peterson half ton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlondeWithFreeBoat said:

Some of the commenters seemFrom what I can tell, the boat is also still out there and will either end up wrecked or will be a hazard to others on the water. All around, not great. 

Unlikely to be "out there". The prevailing NW'lys have been blowing for weeks. Surely it has run ashore somewhere. Even in Monterey Bay the shoreline beach is not carefully watched. Could be easily sunk in the shallows of a beach before being noticed. Elsewhere the coast is rocky cliffs where it could be hidden, sunk near shore, or ground to bits in hours. Nobody is looking for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A sad waste of a good looking boat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Unlikely to be "out there". The prevailing NW'lys have been blowing for weeks. Surely it has run ashore somewhere. Even in Monterey Bay the shoreline beach is not carefully watched. Could be easily sunk in the shallows of a beach before being noticed. Elsewhere the coast is rocky cliffs where it could be hidden, sunk near shore, or ground to bits in hours. Nobody is looking for it.

when it comes ashore, is fish fuck not responsible for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, basketcase said:

when it comes ashore, is fish fuck not responsible for it?

And you think that’ll make any difference? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mad said:

And you think that’ll make any difference? 

well, normally no. but come on, i can be optimistic in this case....maybe fish's feet will be held to a fire.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iirc back in the original thread FF was talking about getting rid of sails that came with the boat "to eliminate weight." Some tried to tell him bad idea. I think we got him to put a reef in once, can't remember if it was a boat he was taking care of (????) or his. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

99% chance it is in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Serious people therein. Could exert force if they felt like it. FF probably a deadbeat though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Fish you mentioned a 'she' in your tale of shame. Can you could post some pics of her cans?

Thank you.

  • Like 9
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that the boat will be smashed to pieces quickly, but it would be a positive thing if this fuckwit would be held accountable for once in his life.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit

If i was rescued in those conditions I'd be so embarrassed I'd hide anywhere I could. Sounds like it was a nice day (night) for a laser to be out sailing!

I hope USCG sends him a humungous bill for wasting their time and putting crew at risk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crossing the gulf of california last summer in pretty shitty conditions, we heard a Pan Pan call from a boat that a crewmember onboard that was so seasick and panicked that they actually stopped breathing for a while

Last I heard they made it to cabo and got transported straight to hospital

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not wanting anything unsafe for people, or the environment, but let the story play out!

Keep posting FishFood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, alctel said:

Crossing the gulf of california last summer in pretty shitty conditions, we heard a Pan Pan call from a boat that a crewmember onboard that was so seasick and panicked that they actually stopped breathing for a while

Last I heard they made it to cabo and got transported straight to hospital

 

 

Don’t wanna play Mr. Smartass here, but wouldn’t that be Medico Medico? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Don’t wanna play Mr. Smartass here, but wouldn’t that be Medico Medico? 
 

Pan pan is correct for a medical issue that is not serious enough to warrant a Mayday.

Pan pan medico is old school, and would still be understood but is not current.

Not sure about medico medico, not one I have ever come across.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet FishFood had the situation well in hand until he had to uphold social distancing, then it all went sideways...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 4:51 PM, Irrational 14 said:

Pretty little boat. Too bad it's in the wrong hands.

Really a shame, honestly. Picture from the one night aboard, waiting to see if FF would show up. 20200123_172744.thumb.jpg.dd5e42699e247c400c5e8e25a9a9b694.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JohnMB said:

Pan pan is correct for a medical issue that is not serious enough to warrant a Mayday.

Pan pan medico is old school, and would still be understood but is not current.

Not sure about medico medico, not one I have ever come across.

 

Thanks thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PAN  PAN is good for any non life threatening event, if for instance someone came across the boat still floating they could issue a Pan Pan call to advise of a vessel at location XY drifting this way as a danger to navigation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the situation seems like it should have been navigable, even with a passenger getting off with the CG.

I've had plenty of bad decisions and moments that were too close to danger for comfort, but never bit off more than I could chew.

Take this memorial day weekend for an example - I have been prepping my old 23 footer that I sail out of SF bay regularly for 2 years, with the idea of finally doing a petaluma-out the gate-to tomales bay run. I scheduled my extra day off (to give me 4 days) 3 months ago. I was watching the weather starting 1.5 weeks prior. Saw that it was blowing steady 25+ knots outside the gate, and regretfully decided to do a delta run instead, which I did and it was great and low drama (despite the small craft advisory which I reviewed and was not concerned about and more than prepared for. In fact that was a bit of excitement B)). I believe I could have made it outside the gate but it would have been a bit too much excitement and danger.

Still even with my small trip, I learned things and came back with a few more ideas I can implement to increase the safety and ability even more.

Glad everyone made it. Hope the boat can be saved and that someone was on the lookout for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

PAN  PAN is good for any non life threatening event, if for instance someone came across the boat still floating they could issue a Pan Pan call to advise of a vessel at location XY drifting this way as a danger to navigation.

That would be a Securite securite no?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PaulinVictoria said:

That would be a Securite securite no?

You are correct a too late in the evening brain fade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh, we all get them. I always think of them like this:

Securite: "Hey something you want to look out for"

Pan Pan: "Heads-up, shit might be going down here"

Mayday Mayday: "Shit went down, help!"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the boat went aground in the rocks, it is likely that nothing visible remains.  Remember the Aegean hitting North Coronado Island in the Newport to Ensenada race a few years back? The GPS track gave precise coordinates of the wreck site,  but nothing was found until some divers found a few small pieces of fiberglass. Scorpion is wood. The mast is probably hidden in a kelp forest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shu said:

If the boat went aground in the rocks, it is likely that nothing visible remains.  Remember the Aegean hitting North Coronado Island in the Newport to Ensenada race a few years back? The GPS track gave precise coordinates of the wreck site,  but nothing was found until some divers found a few small pieces of fiberglass. Scorpion is wood. The mast is probably hidden in a kelp forest. 

what a shame.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish Food, if you're still reading this, I hope this episode and the harsh comments here cause you to pause and reflect a lot.  You lucked out on your trip north, and hit some roughish weather, but nothing out of the ordinary for the central California coast. It may have even been a bit on the mild side. You seemed to be a quick learner, and figured out how to get the boat through a nasty bit of ocean, even though you and the boat were not well prepared. But it seems you didn't learn humility before the ocean. It doesn't care about you, and can kill you quickly (or slowly). Most sailors have a healthy fear of that stretch of ocean for a reason. 

It was one thing when you were on your own.  But you put two others in a dangerous situation, because you didn't prepare, and you didn't realize that you were lucky, or blessed, or fortunate, or whatever on that first trip. Perhaps this latest experience will bring with it that typical product of making serious mistakes and suffering the consequences: wisdom - wisdom to be a little afraid, wisdom to be willing to cancel or turn back, wisdom to know how little you really know, and to do everything you can to learn.

Some people prepare and prepare and prepare, and never leave the dock. Bravo to you that you left the dock. Shame on you that you didn't prepare, particularly this second time. You have been given another time; you only lost a boat (a very nice boat, that several people here have fond memories of).  I hope you use this third time well.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, basketcase said:

what a shame.

 

A bit of an understatement of a drama where 4 people lost their life.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

A bit of an understatement of a drama where 4 people lost their life.

 

Sorry, i was not referring the Aegean incident in such a crass way. That was heartbreaking. I was thinking that its a shame that a pretty boat like Scorpion was left in the hands of a fuckwit like fish food.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FishFood,

i don't know how it's arranged in the US... In the Netherlands the lifeboats are from the KNRM which is completely funded by donations... (a bit like the RNLI in UK)

if it's the same in the US donate a lot! (and considering your behaviour keep doing it!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be great if some young family or person with a love of the ocean finds the boat and saves her from the rocks, claims her, cares for her and enjoys her happily ever after... That’d be the hallmark ending... Alas, real life isnt all glassy seas and laminar breezes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know...FF had been trying to get rid of Scorpion/Freedom for a while.  It seems to me he saw an opportunity and took advantage of it.  Rather quick thinking, actually.  Hell, for the movie to be relevant in current times it could be scripted as a conspiracy from the get go.  Good looking female fakes a panic attack.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, unShirley said:

You know...FF had been trying to get rid of Scorpion/Freedom for a while.  It seems to me he saw an opportunity and took advantage of it.  Rather quick thinking, actually.  Hell, for the movie to be relevant in current times it could be scripted as a conspiracy from the get go.  Good looking female fakes a panic attack.....

Was there insurance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, unShirley said:

  Good looking female fakes a panic attack.....

 

6FB1D0C8-BFCB-42B0-9D45-EFDBEBF5E491.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid should have stayed with the boat. Talk about an adventure ! Alone and adrift, no food or water surviving only on his wits. 

 

 

On second thought.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

The kid should have stayed with the boat. Talk about an adventure ! Alone and adrift, no food or water surviving only on his wits. 

 

 

On second thought.......

hahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the main needs a couple of seams resewn.

Derelict-Freedom-2048x1536.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would fucking love to see someone snag her. It looks, aside from the sails, to be just fine. Still floating on her lines even. 

I'm really disappointed that it came to that. It's a beautiful boat, inside and out. Not even that weathered. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see that the boat is still possibly alive despite the fuckwit fishfood/tetramin's best efforts. Would be the stuff of legends if someone snagged it. Hopefully someone posts a "what boat is this" thread with it in 10 years.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting the windage didn't take her ashore. Persistent NW'lys all this time. Time to update those drift models. Looks like a 300 mile beam reach to the SW from HMB area. And doing it in, what, three weeks? Faster than Rimas.

Should I go get it? Two days out of Monterey. Then a tow to SoCal. Then what? Nah.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pity they did not have a tracker on it, we could all enjoy watching its travels around the Pacific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it would make it much easier for rescuers to find you on the surface if you wore a stinking life jacket, jack-ass.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Ed could go out, grab it and turn it into Anarchy 5.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what the guy who sold Fish Food the boat is thinking now.  "Ah, my old boat is in the News AGAIN."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Team Subterfuge said:

I wonder what the guy who sold Fish Food the boat is thinking now.  "Ah, my old boat is in the News AGAIN."

More like "I wish I had sold that boat to someone remotely responsible".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Maybe with the main crumpled on the port side of the boom, she drifts on starboard tack?  

Boats like this will usually lay beam to seas and wind quite reliably. With a proper keel some forward progress, too. Especially if the tiller is restrained a bit as this one likely is. 300 miles in three weeks? 0.6 knots. Next stop is Marshall Islands...my guess.

With one gagged woman and one simple gybe our fuckwit blogger would still have a boat and blog posts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 10:25 PM, DtM said:

Maybe the Ed could go out, grab it and turn it into Anarchy 5.

What's it rate??  Less than 10' beam?   Man, that would be a story.....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shaggy said:

What's it rate??  Less than 10' beam?   Man, that would be a story.....  

22.0 IOR would be my guess.  Beam almost certainly >10ft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had no steerage while dealing with this individual and the CG over radio. I had to man the tiller and navigate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 6:18 PM, El Boracho said:

Interesting the windage didn't take her ashore. Persistent NW'lys all this time. Time to update those drift models. Looks like a 300 mile beam reach to the SW from HMB area. And doing it in, what, three weeks? Faster than Rimas.

Should I go get it? Two days out of Monterey. Then a tow to SoCal. Then what? Nah.

Man, go get it!  That boat is trying desperately to live!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was involved in a rescue once, as the rescuing skipper. Perhaps Fish Food could give some advice on how I can do better, if there is a next time.

https://www.jamesgblaine.me/rescue-at-sea-a-series

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was part of a rescue of a smaller racing boat out at the SF Lightship. Maybe ‘94? 

It’s a small world, one of my current crew was the owner of the boat we “rescued”. 

it was mainly a stand by, floating over needed equipment, and then a 6 mile tow in rowdy conditions.

owner got one of the Hanson medals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure it went something like :

*FF*  "It's not me, I'm in control.  Everyone else is the problem." 

Also pretty sure he believes his story. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 9:39 AM, bridhb said:

Man, go get it!  That boat is trying desperately to live!

I hope someone does! She deserves another chance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Pretty sure it went something like :

*FF*  "It's not me, I'm in control.  Everyone else is the problem." 

Also pretty sure he believes his story. 

 

A case of high self-esteem despite all evidence to the contrary

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now