trimfast

Annapolis Performance Sailing - OFFICIALLY DEAD

4 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Welp, the rumor is finally out. 30% off everything.

Come on fella...like Scooter says...buy an ad!  You think his blow for A4 crew is getting cheaper?

2 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

Come on fella...like Scooter says...buy an ad!  You think his blow for A4 crew is getting cheaper?

No reason for an ad. Don't work there. The news is that a store most people have bought something at over the 25+ years is closing. It was a courtesy to let others know they have a sale if you need anything.

• Like 8

Writing was on the wall when they went to all apparel. Alienated a lot of customers who have now found other sources for what they need.

• Like 11

So the conversion to a tourist clothing boutique store way out in Eastport failed? Wow - who knew THAT could happen :rolleyes: There is an opportunity here though - that building is within walking distance of one of the biggest concentrations of racing sailboats anyplace south of Newport. I bet if you sold sailboat hardware out of that building you would have a lot of customers ;)

• Like 14

from their Facebook page: 

It is with much sadness that we are announcing the permanent closing of APS. Unfortunately, we are unable to bear the burden of the losses caused by the COVID-19 crisis. We want to first and foremost thank you, our customers, for your continued support throughout our 29 years of business. 2020 was our first year under the new model of exclusively retailing foul weather gear and sailing apparel. The ability to focus all or our creative energies on, and share our knowledge of technical sailing gear is something that allows a specialty retailer like APS to provide an outstanding value. Both January and February were a strong start, with increased sales that exceeded our projections handsomely. In the midst of a new store build out and many other new initiatives, APS’ new model was on the path to full realization. Unfortunately, nothing could have prepared us for the new reality of COVID-19, something many small businesses are now facing. Since Maryland's order to close all non-essential businesses, APS’ operations have been shuttered and all employees furloughed.  We have been processing the few orders we receive online twice a week for a few hours, but other than that we have been closed, and with very minimal cash flow.  With the costs incurred from properly transitioning the company to the new sales model last fall, and a closure forced right at the end of the off season (when funds are low and accumulated off season costs are highest), the financial realities have become too much, and drastic action is required in order to protect all parties to APS’ business. Sadly, APS will be permanently closing, and all inventories liquidated by way of an online sale. We would like to thank our customers and vendors, who we have so enjoyed serving and working with.  The sport of sailing and the sailing industry is full of wonderful people that make it a special place to work and play. 
Most sincerely, and with gratitude,
Kyle E. Gross
Founder, Owner and President, APS Ltd.

• Like 2

I just went looking to see if I could get any deals on foulies as mine are a bit less than watertight. Their “30% off” prices are about 5% less than manufacturers like Musto will sell direct at full price. 

I liked APS when they were a real chandlery. I worked there as a kid. But I don’t have much emotion to spare them given the way they have changed over the last few years. 

• Like 3

Usually the going out of business "sales" are 30% off full retail and many times the price is higher than what they sold for in that same store before the sale.

Sorry to hear they are going away. Unfortunately this is a reflection of both the Corona BS and the current state of the sport. 

28 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

So the conversion to a tourist clothing boutique store way out in Eastport failed? Wow - who knew THAT could happen :rolleyes: There is an opportunity here though - that building is within walking distance of one of the biggest concentrations of racing sailboats anyplace south of Newport. I bet if you sold sailboat hardware out of that building you would have a lot of customers ;)

Except if they couldn't make it as a specialty retail shop in one of the busiest sailing towns right in town with no other chandleries there, that tells ya something.  Remember Fawcetts, Viking and JT's, same thing...

31 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Even without COVID 19 this was expected.

Unfortunately so.  I was puzzled why they got out of the hardware and rigging business which they were so good at, and got into a market where everyone was a competitor.  Boating biz needs to move back to basics - do what you can do well and be a little patient if you can.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, C&C29er said:

Unfortunately so.  I was puzzled why they got out of the hardware and rigging business which they were so good at, and got into a market where everyone was a competitor.  Boating biz needs to move back to basics - do what you can do well and be a little patient if you can.  

Although I am not familiar with their financial situation before the move to a clothing store that was exactly my thought. If they could not make it as a damned good "hardware and rigging business" as you aptly put it, then there is no way in the world they could make it selling foulies.

• Like 2

I was an APS customer for 20 years, right up until they stopped selling the stuff I wanted to buy from them.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Alaris said:

Writing was on the wall when they went to all apparel. Alienated a lot of customers who have now found other sources for what they need.

100%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

It is with much sadness that we are announcing the permanent closing of APS. Unfortunately, we are unable to bear the burden of the losses caused by the COVID-19 crisis. We want to first and foremost thank you, our customers, for your continued support throughout our 29 years of business. 2020 was our first year under the new model of exclusively retailing foul weather gear and sailing apparel. The ability to focus all or our creative energies on, and share our knowledge of technical sailing gear is something that allows a specialty retailer like APS to provide an outstanding value. Both January and February were a strong start, with increased sales that exceeded our projections handsomely. In the midst of a new store build out and many other new initiatives, APS’ new model was on the path to full realization. Unfortunately, nothing could have prepared us for the new reality of COVID-19, something many small businesses are now facing. Since Maryland's order to close all non-essential businesses, APS’ operations have been shuttered and all employees furloughed.  We have been processing the few orders we receive online twice a week for a few hours, but other than that we have been closed, and with very minimal cash flow.  With the costs incurred from properly transitioning the company to the new sales model last fall, and a closure forced right at the end of the off season (when funds are low and accumulated off season costs are highest), the financial realities have become too much, and drastic action is required in order to protect all parties to APS’ business. Sadly, APS will be permanently closing, and all inventories liquidated by way of an online sale. We would like to thank our customers and vendors, who we have so enjoyed serving and working with.  The sport of sailing and the sailing industry is full of wonderful people that make it a special place to work and play. 
Kyle E. Gross

Thank the "STAY CLOSED" Democrats 

• Like 7
  • Downvote 6

Sad to see another sailing business going by the wayside regardless of the cause. 

11 minutes ago, jesposito said:

Bullshit. If you can't stay in business selling racing tires, carbs, oil filters, and sparkplugs with the only store on the grounds of Daytona Speedway, you sure as hell aren't going to stay in business selling hats and shirts.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Sad to see another sailing business going by the wayside regardless of the cause. 

Except it wasn't really a sailing business anymore :rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jesposito said:

oh fuck off trumptard. how's that bleach injection workin' for ya?

• Like 14
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Editor said:

oh fuck off trumptard. how's that bleach injection workin' for ya?

Besides for that West Marine managed to stay open because *actual parts for boats* are a critical business, hats not so much.

• Like 1

The amount of respect we have had for APS over the years is massive. 
The company he built, the selection and inventory.

It's hard to maintain all that, it's a daily fight and the game keeps changing too.
But, god, we always looked up to them.

A business owner is going to do what they have to do, and while some calls are not easy - sometimes, well, you have to try things.
Sometimes, you are wrong.

--
I didn't know Kyle very much personally, but, I stopped by their store last week to say hello.
Closed up tight, unfortunately. And I know a lot of companies are struggling because of being forced to be closed - and layoffs.

Unfortunately, a lot of those jobs just won't come back. 

I wish those guys all the best.

My respect for APS is not diminished at all by this, or their decision in October to pivot. 
That was a damn good operation, no question about it.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Bullshit. If you can't stay in business selling racing tires, carbs, oil filters, and sparkplugs with the only store on the grounds of Daytona Speedway, you sure as hell aren't going to stay in business selling hats and shirts.

The more I think about it, and looked at their site to buy something in support, It feels like a bit of a Covid/Hogan cover excuse as the reason. The stock is not there even if they were staying open. No new items, no size runs, etc.  

43 minutes ago, Sisu3360 said:

I was an APS customer for 20 years, right up until they stopped selling the stuff I wanted to buy from them.

Bingo.  Anecdotally, how many sets of foulies do I need?  Mine have lasted forever.  But blocks, shackles, line, epoxy...all things I continued to buy the last 3 months.  I hate to see them go out of business and I'm sure all involved were good folks, but they simply didn't have what I need.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, atyourcervix said:

Another small business murdered by Democrat leaders in government. 

Bullshit. We all pretty much predicted their demise when their sell clothes and shoes idea first came up well before this current crisis. Also note our leader is a REPUBLICAN :lol::lol:

• Like 3

Jeebus the polital foaming mouth idiots can't help themselves.  Since  when does a virus choose parties?

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Besides for that West Marine managed to stay open because *actual parts for boats* are a critical business, hats not so much.

Isn't it essential to look good in those retarded boat shoes?

2 hours ago, bgytr said:

Except if they couldn't make it as a specialty retail shop in one of the busiest sailing towns right in town with no other chandleries there, that tells ya something.  Remember Fawcetts, Viking and JT's, same thing...

I thoought Fawcett's still going on? I liked them.
https://www.fawcettboat.com/

Had they stuck to hardware it would have given them a few more years.I am waiting for west marine to fall next now the sell more fishing and kayak gear.

• Like 1

Fawcett's has opened back up, with restrictions in place (number of customers in the store at a time, facial coverings, etc.) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Kyle E. Gross

I think you are all being a little unfair on APS.

Since starting the business himself as a store and then a catalogue and finally an online offering with an emphasis on catering to one design sailors as well as the larger bucks for bigger boats , Kyle has given a very great deal to our sailing community.  All of us owe him a bit of gratitude and all of us should feel a bit sad that CV19 caught him at such a tough time in his inventory cycle.

We have lost one of our long standing vendors who supported our sport with a passion. He was entitled to refine the business model to earn a profit...it was doing well.....but clothing has a very seasonal inventory cycle and CV19 kicked him to the ground. It is a damn shame.

Kyle......we have never met but I have been a customer and I enjoyed your product reviews and videos and I appreciate all you have done for the sport. I hope there is another chapter and we wish you the best of luck.

Eye

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jesposito said:

Joe - You got that right.

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Except it wasn't really a sailing business anymore :rolleyes:

Kent - how nice, and typical I guess, to see you dancing on the grave.  What an ass.  Since you seem to know all why don't you open a store in that space selling sailing gear and show us all how its done.  I am not a fan of the change they made in the business model and they lost me as a customer as a result but that said the guy and the place served the community well for many years.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 3

53 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Jeebus the polital foaming mouth idiots can't help themselves.  Since  when does a virus choose parties?

Over the last two months, watching and occasionally working with doctors and nurses who are both democrats and republicans, taking care of patients who were democrats and republicans.....I can answer that question convincingly..........this virus was indifferent to politics.

I can also tell you that never in my life have I been so proud of some of my fellow Americans from all sides of the political spectrum and I am so grateful to the nation that provided the opportunity for a college education for two sisters whose parents did not go to college, so that we could both go on to be MDs. My sister and I have never seen eye to eye on politics but in my book she is an all-American heroine, as an internist who volunteered to step up to the front line.   You rock sis! (even if we vote for different parties) 

• Like 10

I liked APS, they were always great to do business with.  I bought a lot of line from them and a few PFDs and fiddly bits - a big decal with racing flags and penants explained, a couple racing reference books.  Great resource for the racer and a block or two from my boat.  There is no place else in Annapolis either where you could walk in and get your hands on different kinds of control lines to get a feel for them, and figure out what the crew would tolerate and what I wanted to use.  They kept oddball stuff in stock - if you need a midsized J/boat lifeline stanchion because you screwed up docking Wednesday night, you could be repairing the boat Thursday after work because they had them... and oddball keelboat blocks and traveler parts, you name it.  I guess it was a dinghy mecca too.  They always had good intel on open slips, boats for sale... just strong community members.   

I didn't resent their pivot to clothing, understood it - it's a grow-or-die world.  I feel bad they are closing.  But I feel worse for us, it got harder to get the stuff we need to keep our boats going when they pivoted and now a good member of the community is closing its doors.   

And answering the question above, there are two or three shops on West Street where you can get high fashion sailing or at least sailing styled gear.  That isn't an easy market either though it's larger.  Tough times. 

Tough situation for sure, retail everywhere is hurting.

If someone has Mr. Gross' contact information and can shoot me a PM that would be much appreciated.

I mostly bought hardware and line from APS so I never quite understood the move to clothing only, but they knew their financial situation better than anyone else and the numbers they saw at the time must have said that it was the right move. They were always helpful and had a great selection, even going back to my first purchases through their catalog when I was sailing in college. I'll miss having them as an option and a resource. 

Eh, their announcement tried to blame this on Covid. First line was how happy he was about the change to clothing.... BS.  After spending god knows how many thousands upon thousands of dollars with them over many years (I am an SSA member, which is a block away) I stopped shopping with them online or in the store when they went all overpriced clothing. There was simply no purpose for them to exist for me after that. I could get clothing or foulies anywhere... on sale for far less. I went there for what I couldn't buy online. Rigging and hardware. I still occasionally got foulies there, but it was secondary and merely because I was in there anyway. Maybe we will end up with something that actually supports the sailing community in its place.  I have my doubts.  I could see the land turned into overpriced condos.  I am sorry to see someones business implode.  But I think that it was inevitable when they stopped serving the needs of the community around them.  To blame this on Covid is disingenuous. 
Edit or delete this
  • Like 2

Retail in general needs to change. Obviously.

Apple Store is an obviously highly successful example. Instead of focusing on sales, it focuses on the experience: go to the store to try the new keyboard, to see which size watch fits best. Then order online.

Clothing needs physical stores for similar reasons: to feel the fabric, see the workmanship. But then the store should just take your measurements, and you order exactly the size, style, color, etc. you want online.

The rigging shop at Newport Beach West Marine is an example of such a retail location: its possible to actually see the product, talk with people who know what they are talking about (sometimes anyway). Then order it online, and West Marine guarantees price matching so you always get the best prince.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Joe - You got that right.

Kent - how nice, and typical I guess, to see you dancing on the grave.  What an ass.  Since you seem to know all why don't you open a store in that space selling sailing gear and show us all how its done.  I am not a fan of the change they made in the business model and they lost me as a customer as a result but that said the guy and the place served the community well for many years.

So they don't sell boat parts anymore, they lost you as a customer, and you have no idea why they went out of business? WTF? Just think about EVERY OTHER customer - JUST LIKE YOU. I actually have a run a marine business. It is a huge PITA on a good day.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

I mostly bought hardware and line from APS so I never quite understood the move to clothing only, but they knew their financial situation better than anyone else and the numbers they saw at the time must have said that it was the right move. They were always helpful and had a great selection, even going back to my first purchases through their catalog when I was sailing in college. I'll miss having them as an option and a resource. 

Here's just one of the challenges of a niche industry retail:

You sell line. People buy it, you add blocks and shit, they buy that, soon you're a chandlery and selling a broad range of stuff, but the cost of carrying inventory is a killer. Some of this shit moves like once/year, but you need to carry it to compete.

You look at your margins, and you find you make all your money on clothing, cause it's drop shipped and you don't have to carry inventory. Cool! Maybe (and I'm NOT saying this happened here) we could cut that low margin stuff that's killing me, and sell the high margin stuff?

Problem is, without the loss leader of that PITA hardware shit, no one comes in to look at the high margin stuff cause, guess what, those clothing vendors will drop ship through anyone. You now are just another clothing website, and who goes to those?

• Like 11

Wormer, Dead!

Marmalard, Dead!

Neidermeyer, Dead!

APS, DEAD!!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, carcrash said:

Retail in general needs to change. Obviously.

Apple Store is an obviously highly successful example. Instead of focusing on sales, it focuses on the experience: go to the store to try the new keyboard, to see which size watch fits best. Then order online.

Clothing needs physical stores for similar reasons: to feel the fabric, see the workmanship. But then the store should just take your measurements, and you order exactly the size, style, color, etc. you want online.

The rigging shop at Newport Beach West Marine is an example of such a retail location: its possible to actually see the product, talk with people who know what they are talking about (sometimes anyway). Then order it online, and West Marine guarantees price matching so you always get the best prince.

My biggest gripe with West Marine Is that they’ll build their Flagship stores, and then staff them with failed grocery store workers.  My other gripe is when they take a product that works fine and dumb it down 50%, and drop the price 10%.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Here's just one of the challenges of a niche industry retail:

You sell line. People buy it, you add blocks and shit, they buy that, soon you're a chandlery and selling a broad range of stuff, but the cost of carrying inventory is a killer. Some of this shit moves like once/year, but you need to carry it to compete.

You look at your margins, and you find you make all your money on clothing, cause it's drop shipped and you don't have to carry inventory. Cool! Maybe (and I'm NOT saying this happened here) we could cut that low margin stuff that's killing me, and sell the high margin stuff?

Problem is, without the loss leader of that PITA hardware shit, no one comes in to look at the high margin stuff cause, guess what, those clothing vendors will drop ship through anyone. You now are just another clothing website, and who goes to those?

Pretty much. Selling ANYTHING brick and mortar is always going to suck, your "customers" look at all your merchandise and then go buy it off Amazon or Ebay once they find what they like. Looked for any camera shops lately? APS kind of screwed up in a unique way though. They were about a 30 second walk from SSA and maybe 45 seconds from EYC and well within a 15-25 minute walk from AYC and a bunch of marinas. Fawcetts had long since moved out from downtown and West was also out of walking distance. They were THE place to go if you were in a hurry.

Fast forward to being a clothing shop. BFD :rolleyes: How often do you need clothes right this second before a race? All the various tourists have plenty of shops to choose from along Main Street, the tourist foot traffic over to the east end of Eastport is fairly minimal. I never thought this plan had any chance of success for in-store sales and selling clothes online puts you right up against numerous big players. I can't really see the Covid issues being relevant at all YET, how much tourist clothes buying goes on before Memorial Day?

Agreed with Raz'r.  When I go to West Marine (only show in town, sadly) for line or blocks or whatever, I often wander over to the clothing section to see if there's a nice lightweight inshore jacket in my size, or maybe a new hat.  If all West Marine sold was clothing, I'd just go online and buy clothes from whichever web site has the lowest price.  Always sad to lose a marine products store, but marginally less sad to lose a clothing retailer.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, fastyacht said:

they got re-incarnated on the edge of Annapolis and somewhat online.  The downtown boat chandlery seems to be a dead institution.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bgytr said:

they got re-incarnated on the edge of Annapolis and somewhat online.  The downtown boat chandlery seems to be a dead institution.

Fawcett's seems to be more about RIBs and powerboats these days.

1 minute ago, Inattentive Observer said:

Fawcett's seems to be more about RIBs and powerboats these days.

ya, they're on the way to Jabin's boatel rack.

5 hours ago, jesposito said:

Take it to PA

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

At least they are still in an Annapolis zip code! When I was a kid, I'd ride my bike down to the waterfront and almost the only boats tied up were working boats--there were even skipjacks! That started to rapidly change. By the time I was in college there were only a couple crab boats over along the quay by Fawcett's. Skipjacks gone by then. Then of course MSX killed what was left. Chick & Ruth's deli used to be a place to go get breakfast...the "fancy" stuff included "Peppers" where you could spend too much for an alligator shirt or sunglasses, and of course the Fudge place. There was even a kite store (a good one!) on a back alley between the State House and the oyster bar.

Rents obvoously spiked, and a chandler being down there was not going to work. The average tourist discovered the gritty waterfront...haha. Of course even Fells Point in Baltimore went high rent!

6 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

APS didn’t seem to embrace the loss leader concept.  After all, West Marine probably makes no money off their Harken parts either, but they understand that for each of the shoppers who browse blocks and shackles, their wives or kids buy shoes, hats, shirts etc where all the margin is.

Once APS stopped selling hardware and lines, I had no reason to go in. And they used to have the best rigging and line selection too.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

At least they are still in an Annapolis zip code! When I was a kid, I'd ride my bike down to the waterfront and almost the only boats tied up were working boats--there were even skipjacks! That started to rapidly change. By the time I was in college there were only a couple crab boats over along the quay by Fawcett's. Skipjacks gone by then. Then of course MSX killed what was left. Chick & Ruth's deli used to be a place to go get breakfast...the "fancy" stuff included "Peppers" where you could spend too much for an alligator shirt or sunglasses, and of course the Fudge place. There was even a kite store (a good one!) on a back alley between the State House and the oyster bar.

Rents obvoously spiked, and a chandler being down there was not going to work. The average tourist discovered the gritty waterfront...haha. Of course even Fells Point in Baltimore went high rent!

Geez you must be as old as I am... Fawcett's was a pretty happnin place through the 70s, remember how busy it used to be with sailors- you'd go in there and run into 10 people you knew.

I bought a new Main halyard from APS right before the switched over to clothes and shoes. I paid almost $700 for 200 feet of line.
I have a hard time believing there was no profit in doing those. (They did a great job with it BTW)

2 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

I bought a new Main halyard from APS right before the switched over to clothes and shoes. I paid almost $700 for 200 feet of line.
I have a hard time believing there was no profit in doing those. (They did a great job with it BTW)

I have 3 APS halyards. Very happy with them.

8 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I have 3 APS halyards. Very happy with them.

Mine was a work of art. Anybody know where the riggers who worked there went?

Ouch, I've been an APS customer for years so it's sad to see them go. Pretty much every marine store that I went to in person and now even e-commerce are gone. It's a tough business - low margins, seasonal, cyclical - I don't know how anyone will survive. If it were me I'd go for a pure play e-commerce site similar to Backcountry is for skiing, but even that's risky. I do know one thing: we're all going to hate when West Marine is the old company left in this market. 

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Mine was a work of art. Anybody know where the riggers who worked there went?

Second this. Where is the go to rigging shop in Annapolis now? It used to be so easy to just walk in to APS and walk out with *exactly* what you wanted. Plus a significantly lighter wallet, but that’s part of the game. 

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

If the shackle was properly spliced in and the line is a larger diameter, the price is worth it for the labor. 

Anybody remember the APS 'bite lights'? Was a thing for a day before headlamps...

Did management change/buyout at APS?

Hood River: A few years ago a local, iconic restaurant sells to new owners with no restaurant experience!

They changed everything, even the signature dishes that kept the location operating! The chocolate volcano cake was epic!! The new owners proudly cleared that off their 'new' menu - I never went back!

It's a wine tasting room now! They died quickly... 

5 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Anybody remember the APS 'bite lights'? Was a thing for a day before headlamps...

Did management change/buyout at APS?

Hood River: A few years ago a local, iconic restaurant sells to new owners with no restaurant experience!

They changed everything, even the signature dishes that kept the location operating! The chocolate volcano cake was epic!! The new owners proudly cleared that off their 'new' menu - I never went back!

It's a wine tasting room now! They died quickly... 

Same thing happened to Armadillos in Annapolis. Used to be a pretty good Mexican restaurant. Then I went back and nobody was there. The food was disappointing. "What happened?" we asked...

^ It's comical and tragic....

I lived in Annapolis/Arnold, MD for a few years. There was a great mom and pop and daughters and cousins, etc traditional Greek restaurant inside a mini mall minutes from me. They sold it to a not Greek family... the food quality changed overnight and I never went back...

22 minutes ago, Alaris said:

Second this. Where is the go to rigging shop in Annapolis now? It used to be so easy to just walk in to APS and walk out with *exactly* what you wanted. Plus a significantly lighter wallet, but that’s part of the game. 

West Marine. Coincidentally this was also the first winter APS didn't have a rigging sale. Is it a connection?

27 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Same thing happened to Armadillos in Annapolis. Used to be a pretty good Mexican restaurant. Then I went back and nobody was there. The food was disappointing. "What happened?" we asked...

I lived in the region for a few years recently... Having spent the last 20+ years on the west coast, gotta say, the Mexican food on the East Coast of the USA is not great!

During a happy hour I chatted up a local Annapolis bartender that turned out to be from LA! My first question: Are there any good taquerias near here?  Fuck no, best one's 30+ minutes away and she had spent a few years searching for it...

Sorry for the hijack...

• Like 1

Just now, Liquid said:

I lived in the region for a few years recently... Having spent the last 20+ years on the west coast, gotta say, the Mexican food on the East Coast of the USA is not great!

During a happy hour I chatted up a local Annapolis bartender that turned out to be from LA! My first question: Are there any good taquerias near here?  Fuck no, best one's 30+ minutes away and she had spent a few years searching for it...

There are two really good ones. One used to be a food truck. The other only takes cash. 

1. El Cabrito

2. Taqueria Juquilita

Chick and Ruth's redeemed my disappointment in not finding a good burrito in the region!!!

• Like 1

I worked at Wesr Marine in the early 90’s in Peabody. MA. The prices weren’t cheap but you only had to go to one store because we had it in stock. And if we didn’t we’d call around to our competitors to see if they had it and send them there. 
Tent sale in Newport, RI in September for foulies. 60% of at least. 

10 hours ago, trimfast said:

No reason for an ad. Don't work there. The news is that a store most people have bought something at over the 25+ years is closing. It was a courtesy to let others know they have a sale if you need anything.

Yup long time customer myself for decade or more.  Five years ago I would have placed online order for $1000 rigging and get it done right.  Two years ago same order would be hosed.  This year, ferget about it.  Someone wasn't watching the store so to speak.

I was involved with 2 different boating stores just before and during the last economic meltdown. It's a really tough business and a great way to make a small fortune from a large one. In the current market it's easy to see why they gave up. Will be missed, never was a big customer but always enjoyed the stuff I bought and I wish them well in whatever they decide to do next.

I agree with those who saw this happening when they stopped selling hardware and rigging.  Yes, I bought sailing clothes from them, but usually after going to their site for some blocks, cleats, line or rigging.  They had also were informative about which lines to use where, recommendations, and I ordered my halyards and spin sheets there.  All that disappeared so they could focus on selling clothes.
My recollection is that Lands End started as a real chandlery and got out to become Sears' clothing line.
Hard to blame the temp shutdown of in-person retail clothing shopping for what was for most of the national market a mail-order business.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alaris said:

Jay Herman, Annapolis Rigging is the man.

Tom Wohlgemuth also, he's semi retired, but still does stuff. 

These are the 2 best guys in Annapolis that I know of.

• Like 1

Oddly enough my favorite little go-to place for odds and ends is an Ace hardware/chandlery. Maybe the hardware store gives enough steady volume so they can can carry the other inventory. Really makes the Marine electric stuff, etc a lot cheaper than say West Marine. 

We do have the luxury of a great chandlery but it’s attached to a ship yard, and I bet the retail stuff is 5% of the total inventory.

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

I was involved with 2 different boating stores just before and during the last economic meltdown. It's a really tough business and a great way to make a small fortune from a large one. In the current market it's easy to see why they gave up. Will be missed, never was a big customer but always enjoyed the stuff I bought and I wish them well in whatever they decide to do next.

How do you make a small amount of money in the marine industry?

Start with a LOT!

Makes me remember taking a few 5 finger discounted Harken blocks from Brewers in Mamaroneck, NY for my Blue Jay... Just a door away from Directors BY. Strange yard, built on quite a slope!! I couldn't watch moving the owners boat....

1 minute ago, Liquid said:

How do you make a small amount of money in the marine industry?

Start with a LOT!

Makes me remember taking a few 5 finger discounted Harken blocks from Brewers in Mamaroneck, NY for my Blue Jay... Just a door away from Directors BY. Strange yard, built on quite a slope!! I couldn't watch moving the owners boat....

It's amazing, but they built the 140 foot Nigel Gee high speed cats that ran the Atantic Highlands route in those buildings. I surveyed one in the yard--landed cattywampus but just fit! Favourite weirdness: driving up to the roof to park!

Oh, and the interior for Koslowski's Frer's sloop was put together there, too (the hull was built in Bridgeport--you yoused to see it gleaming in the sun as you went over the 95 bridge). I spumbled across the interior in one of the rooms in that building, on the way down from the roof parking!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fastyacht said:

It's amazing, but they built the 140 foot Nigel Gee high speed cats that ran the Atantic Highlands route in those buildings. I surveyed one in the yard--landed cattywampus but just fit! Favourite weirdness: driving up to the roof to park!

Oh, and the interior for Koslowski's Frer's sloop was put together there, too (the hull was built in Bridgeport--you yoused to see it gleaming in the sun as you went over the 95 bridge). I spumbled across the interior in one of the rooms in that building, on the way down from the roof parking!

I was a teenager, that shop scared and baffled me...

A boat yard built on a slope??? 

• Like 1

As a longtime customer and former competitor of APS it is sad to see them go, but there is no one to blame but all of you.  When they made the decision to stop selling hardware last year, I'm sure it was a difficult decision but one that was necessary from a dollars perspective.  The number of SKU's required to keep up with all the classes they supported is astronomical and the carrying costs of the inventory means most small sailing business' teeter on the edge all the time.  Couple this with the decline is the sport in general and the attitude of nearly every sailing customer I've ever dealt with (nearly 15 years with 3 major manufacturers and retailers) and it was inevitable.  I now sell powerboats and the difference is night and day.  Every sailboat customer sounds the same, "Whats my price?", "Can I get a discount?", "I see you have the line I want in 5 different colors but I want the one you don't have", "I know you have it here in my local store today and opened early for me on a Sunday morning so I can make it to the racecourse in time, but I can buy it from xyz cheaper, will you match their price?"  And you wonder why business's like APS go under.  Look in the mirror and you'll find the answer.  Everyone thinks a professional is expensive until they hire an amateur.

To Kyle and everyone at APS, best of luck you will be missed, and thanks for everything you did for the sport of the past 3 decades.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Anybody else here who remembers 'Spig' and Mary Fawcett? Met and spoke with them often as we were both parishoners of St Luke's in Eastport.

13 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

If the shackle was properly spliced in and the line is a larger diameter, the price is worth it for the labor. 

I can and do build custom rigging if you need it. I'm not 100% local (Alexandria, VA) and I'm not cheap but I do know what I'm doing. Also just as happy if you take your business to the pro's in town, this is FAR from my day job.

54 minutes ago, jgils said:

As a longtime customer and former competitor of APS it is sad to see them go, but there is no one to blame but all of you.  When they made the decision to stop selling hardware last year, I'm sure it was a difficult decision but one that was necessary from a dollars perspective.  The number of SKU's required to keep up with all the classes they supported is astronomical and the carrying costs of the inventory means most small sailing business' teeter on the edge all the time.  Couple this with the decline is the sport in general and the attitude of nearly every sailing customer I've ever dealt with (nearly 15 years with 3 major manufacturers and retailers) and it was inevitable.  I now sell powerboats and the difference is night and day.  Every sailboat customer sounds the same, "Whats my price?", "Can I get a discount?", "I see you have the line I want in 5 different colors but I want the one you don't have", "I know you have it here in my local store today and opened early for me on a Sunday morning so I can make it to the racecourse in time, but I can buy it from xyz cheaper, will you match their price?"  And you wonder why business's like APS go under.  Look in the mirror and you'll find the answer.  Everyone thinks a professional is expensive until they hire an amateur.

To Kyle and everyone at APS, best of luck you will be missed, and thanks for everything you did for the sport of the past 3 decades.

Customer: How much for a radar?

Me: $2500 plus installation. (my cost for the radar is say $2350 or so)

Customer: WHAT??? I can buy them for $2000!

Me: Really? Wow, I can't beat that. Tell me where to get the $2000 one and I'll grab on of those and install it for you. Even better, if I can get 5 or 10 for for that price from your source I'll install yours for half price :D

Customer - Ah well (cough cough) I am not real sure about that, maybe they don't have any and I can't remember where I saw it.

Me: I thought so GTFO :rolleyes:

Customer: My insurance company says I need a SSB for my trip, can you install one for me.

Me: Sure, when are you leaving?

Customer: In the morning.

Me: (WTF!!!!! its already past lunch time) Well I can sell you the shop radio plus I happen to have an antenna. We'll be on the boat way past dinner, but we'll have her ready for you in the morning. $X will cover it.

Customer: What kind of rip off is this! I can get that done for $1000 less at the other shop and the radio would be brand new.
Me: (good, I can be home for dinner and not be missing my radio until a new one shows up) Sound great, I would do that!

Customer: They don't have any radios in stock today or antennas either.

Me: Time's wasting, I sell stuff cheaper too when I don't have it, you in or out? (The actual crew on the boat was grateful and brought a great dinner to the boat for us)

I loved working on boats, but the endless "The bill is just a starting point for negotiations" crap could really get to you. Try that with your car and you'll be walking.

• Like 4

Yep. I'm generally of the opinion that retail is dead for this sort of thing. Yes, its nice to be able to grab something locally when you're in a bind, we've all been there, but the cost for retail space in prime sailing locations is just too bloody expensive these days, see every other shop that bailed on downtown Annapolis and Eastport that doesn't directly service boats on site.

7 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Yep. I'm generally of the opinion that retail is dead for this sort of thing. Yes, its nice to be able to grab something locally when you're in a bind, we've all been there, but the cost for retail space in prime sailing locations is just too bloody expensive these days, see every other shop that bailed on downtown Annapolis and Eastport that doesn't directly service boats on site.

Dinghy shops were never near the water...

Jon Wright Jr. in Philadelpia and later Conshohocken Pa.

Billo's (sp?) in New Jersey.

Clews & Strawbridge in Frasier, Pa.

• Like 1

Fawcetts left because it was rumored to be 22K per month in rent. Obviously Helly Hansen covers that cost on main street with tourists, but a sailing store, no way. Then again, the building which was replaced downtown where Fawcetts was, has sat empty for how many years now?

11 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Fawcetts left because it was rumored to be 22K per month in rent. Obviously Helly Hansen covers that cost on main street with tourists, but a sailing store, no way. Then again, the building which was replaced downtown where Fawcetts was, has sat empty for how many years now?

It is a Boston Whaler dealership now.

4 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

It is a Boston Whaler dealership now.

Part of it yes, some of it was still not rented last time I walked past.

24 minutes ago, trimfast said:

If it was empty...then it sure was not bringing in 22k a month. Nothing dumber than an empty real estate investment.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Customer: How much for a radar?

Me: $2500 plus installation. (my cost for the radar is say $2350 or so)

Customer: WHAT??? I can buy them for $2000!

Me: Really? Wow, I can't beat that. Tell me where to get the $2000 one and I'll grab on of those and install it for you. Even better, if I can get 5 or 10 for for that price from your source I'll install yours for half price :D

Customer - Ah well (cough cough) I am not real sure about that, maybe they don't have any and I can't remember where I saw it.

Me: I thought so GTFO :rolleyes:

Customer: My insurance company says I need a SSB for my trip, can you install one for me.

Me: Sure, when are you leaving?

Customer: In the morning.

Me: (WTF!!!!! its already past lunch time) Well I can sell you the shop radio plus I happen to have an antenna. We'll be on the boat way past dinner, but we'll have her ready for you in the morning. $X will cover it.

Customer: What kind of rip off is this! I can get that done for $1000 less at the other shop and the radio would be brand new.
Me: (good, I can be home for dinner and not be missing m