I've heard before thet ABN was left to rot in a parking lot of a shopping mall in Abu Dhabi, today I stumbled on some pictures..  A sad sight.

1.jpg

49181221_10155758478540759_7703882319144157184_o.jpg

49307677_10155758477140759_2505208742484639744_o.jpg

49348280_10155758475950759_6656543656272461824_o.jpg

49419834_10155758486435759_3581262955401969664_o.jpg

How does a boat like that end up in supermarket car park?

There's a history over there, but the parking lot wins for sure....

image.png.ca00c016278b1b97be9039a91e53d993.png

33 minutes ago, cifrian said:

More amazing is how the wheels and the winches are still on it...

Think Abu Dhabi; anyone who has an interest in yachting already owns a boat worth 10 x as much as that. And anyone who removes a piece risks losing their right hand.  A different world.

Did you hear that the people in Dubai don't like watching the Flintstones; but the people in Abu Dhabi do.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:

How does a boat like that end up in supermarket car park?

Went for toilet paper,  still waiting?

• Like 1

Why does the shopping trolley jammed under the bow in the 1st pic make it all the more sad?

Crazy that someone hasn’t snapped up that boat for ocean racing like the Wizard program.  One of the fastest v70s ever

With the transom hatch being open like that, I don't think downstairs would be very pleasant. Doesn't matter what the country, that's not a good sign...

Number I was sold a few years back in a sad state & was racing again, don’t know what happened recently. 

This was number 2,  the white boat. 

Who owns it and why not sell it or give it away?

4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Number I was sold a few years back in a sad state & was racing again, don’t know what happened recently. 

This was number 2,  the white boat. 

One (Black Betty) became Delta Lloyd and is out there somewhere trying to race but needs proper money spent on her. Too was the kids boat. Strongest of the first generation so held the 24 hour after the 05-06 race. The transom hatch only opens the after watertight compartment, so maybe not so bad inside. Would need a full refit, but agree, should be racing somewhere considering how many VO70s there are available.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:46 PM, Foolish said:

Think Abu Dhabi; anyone who has an interest in yachting already owns a boat worth 10 x as much as that. And anyone who removes a piece risks losing their right hand.  A different world.

Did you hear that the people in Dubai don't like watching the Flintstones; but the people in Abu Dhabi do.

It took me a while

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chimp too said:

The transom hatch only opens the after watertight compartment

So the hatch is not accesible from the ''living'' area? I tought the pourpose of the hatch was that the crew can escape from a turtled boat.

31 minutes ago, M26 said:

So the hatch is not accesible from the ''living'' area? I tought the pourpose of the hatch was that the crew can escape from a turtled boat.

Yes, but there is another watertight hatch between the aft compartment and the accommodation.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:56 AM, eliboat said:

Crazy that someone hasn’t snapped up that boat for ocean racing like the Wizard program.  One of the fastest v70s ever

Those boats are always on the edge of failure and weren’t designed to be a continuous hardworking boat - buying it, shipping it out of the Middle East, and getting it back in shape then getting crew up to speed. You’re talking about years and multiple seasons of investment and for what?

i hate to say it but time is the only thing millionaires can’t buy directly more of- built a new boat in Italy France or Uk and you can have it done and sailing and enjoying it earlier. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:31 PM, Keith said:

image.png.b999088e983cded6354112e4b49a2d13.png

Yikes.  I heard they broke the main hull in half in Abu Dhabi or somewhere over there.  This was a cool Irens  design.  Pushed really hard by Yvan Bourgnon, he even had a solo 24 hour record on this boat while training in the Azores.  A pity.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chimp too said:

One (Black Betty) became Delta Lloyd and is out there somewhere trying to race but needs proper money spent on her. Too was the kids boat. Strongest of the first generation so held the 24 hour after the 05-06 race. The transom hatch only opens the after watertight compartment, so maybe not so bad inside. Would need a full refit, but agree, should be racing somewhere considering how many VO70s there are available.

ABN 1 was the kids boat, they launched this first and sailed across to Newport with the main team onboard, then built ABN 2 as a refinement of boat 1. ABN 2 was then sailed by the main team and called black betty, with the initial boat then being passed to the kids. ABN1 was very marginally faster in certain conditions, but a hell of a lot harder to control.

After ABN 2 was rebranded delta Lloyd etc, it was sold to Turkish owners and sailed from Ireland towards Turkey, with the cradles dismantled and stored 'downstairs' for the trip. It ended up being impounded in Greece for a short while en route as well last I heard...

11 minutes ago, eltelatron said:

ABN 1 was the kids boat, they launched this first and sailed across to Newport with the main team onboard, then built ABN 2 as a refinement of boat 1. ABN 2 was then sailed by the main team and called black betty, with the initial boat then being passed to the kids. ABN1 was very marginally faster in certain conditions, but a hell of a lot harder to control.

After ABN 2 was rebranded delta Lloyd etc, it was sold to Turkish owners and sailed from Ireland towards Turkey, with the cradles dismantled and stored 'downstairs' for the trip. It ended up being impounded in Greece for a short while en route as well last I heard...

The white boat was the first launched and was VO70 no 1, but was officially named ABN AMRO Too. The second boat was the primary boat that Moose and co used and was officially called ABN AMRO one. They were very different in design and performance, but the first boat, the white one was a lot stronger, apart from the ram trunnions, which were initially 7000 grade Alu and failed.

• Like 1

& ABN AMRO 1 was also sail number NED1. ABN AMRO 2 was sail number NED2 

10 hours ago, Chimp too said:

The white boat was the first launched and was VO70 no 1, but was officially named ABN AMRO Too. The second boat was the primary boat that Moose and co used and was officially called ABN AMRO one. They were very different in design and performance, but the first boat, the white one was a lot stronger, apart from the ram trunnions, which were initially 7000 grade Alu and failed.

I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification.