Roleur

Regatta Page on NKE Multigraphic?

New boat has NKE with a Multigraphic display (yay!).  Old boat had NKE with a Gyropilot Graphic.  The multi is great, but we are puzzled by a few things:

How do you setup the Regatta page?  In the manual it seems straightforward, but we aren’t finding a base page to start with.  There is the Tactic page, which is similar, but we aren’t able to change the middle display from circular Tactic information to the Race Timer + favored end info like shown in the manual.

There is a VMG% field.  That’s great, but what is it based on?  We are often sailing upwind at 110-115% VMG.  That’s great as a relative number, but I’ve not found the input to calibrate this number.  Seems like there would need to be a polar table, but I’ve not seen that.

From the tactic page press the down arrow to go to the start line page.   I never use it but as far as I remember that is how to access it.

Do you have a regatta or HR processor?   These allow you to enter a polar.  But it's much easier to not use that polar and have Expedition drive all your performance data.

We do have Regatta Processor.  I see now how the polars are entered there.  We don't have Expedition yet, so this is good.  There are apparently already polars entered, but we'll be adding a J1 and a larger kite and then we only sail DH, so all the numbers will need updating.  Our boat came from San Francisco Bay where it is almost always breezy, so they didn't even have a J1 in the inventory.  

The down arrow!  Or the up arrow works too.  Wish that was in the manual.  My wife would like that hour of her life back that she wasted trying to figure it out.

Once you start using Expedition or another software to do the performance calculation, you should modify the config file to include the line Performance= N.  (This is likely set to Y in your config file now).

This ensures the polar is no longer taken from the regatta processor, but from Expedition instead

On 5/24/2020 at 9:02 PM, Roleur said:

The down arrow!  Or the up arrow works too.  Wish that was in the manual.  My wife would like that hour of her life back that she wasted trying to figure it out.

Roleur, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly if you have any questions - 310-500-6216...so your wife doesn't waste any more time on things that aren't in the manual! 

Cheers

Jerome Sammarcelli

Sailutions

What version of the MultiGraphic do you have? Version 2.6 is the most recent and now allows for the display in feet instead of meters which up until now was a bug in the system. There also i a new feature or rather channel to create waypoint angle. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it plays a more important role in the tactic page. Also for those with a higher magnetic declination (like those on the west coast) the tactic page has the ability to display the heading in either true or magnetic. 

4 hours ago, RImike said:

What version of the MultiGraphic do you have? Version 2.6 is the most recent and now allows for the display in feet instead of meters which up until now was a bug in the system. There also i a new feature or rather channel to create waypoint angle. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it plays a more important role in the tactic page. Also for those with a higher magnetic declination (like those on the west coast) the tactic page has the ability to display the heading in either true or magnetic. 

Mike, I have used the version 2.6 for several months but as you know it is still a beta version so it is actually not yet on the nke ftp server when updating the system (or at least last time I checked). Last time I heard, nke could not yet make the 2.6 version final because it hasn't been tested enough due to the lack of sailing (C-19). I have installed the 2.6 version on many customers' boats though and so far, it has been without any issues or glitches.

When you refer to waypoint angle, do you mean "Turn to Waypoint"? This is actually a new channel that I asked nke to include (basically the difference btw BTW and COG). I believe this channel is only available in the 1.3 (beta 4) version of the new multidisplay, but not in the Multigraphic display. I could be wrong....but will check in the next day or so.

In the starting page (version 2.4), you can set a waypoint (distance and bearing) which can be useful for VMG or CMG information while racing around the buoys...

This being all said, the new version of the MG (and MD) allows to create and display magnetic heading channels BUT the heading information displayed in the tactic (or GPS page actually) still reference the True heading, not the magnetic. If you want to use magnetic heading, it has to be on a separate page than the tactic or gps page.

Jerome

1 hour ago, jsam31 said:

Mike, I have used the version 2.6 for several months but as you know it is still a beta version so it is actually not yet on the nke ftp server when updating the system (or at least last time I checked). Last time I heard, nke could not yet make the 2.6 version final because it hasn't been tested enough due to the lack of sailing (C-19). I have installed the 2.6 version on many customers' boats though and so far, it has been without any issues or glitches.

When you refer to waypoint angle, do you mean "Turn to Waypoint"? This is actually a new channel that I asked nke to include (basically the difference btw BTW and COG). I believe this channel is only available in the 1.3 (beta 4) version of the new multidisplay, but not in the Multigraphic display. I could be wrong....but will check in the next day or so.

In the starting page (version 2.4), you can set a waypoint (distance and bearing) which can be useful for VMG or CMG information while racing around the buoys...

This being all said, the new version of the MG (and MD) allows to create and display magnetic heading channels BUT the heading information displayed in the tactic (or GPS page actually) still reference the True heading, not the magnetic. If you want to use magnetic heading, it has to be on a separate page than the tactic or gps page.

Jerome

Yes, I believe it is as you described (I haven't had a moment to test it on the water yet though)

12 hours ago, ZeeZee said:

@jsam31

Do you happen to know what the latest software version for the Regatta Processor is?

Version 4.0.
3.9 still works great. 

On 8/27/2020 at 3:40 PM, us7070 said:

I just saw those NKE displays on a boat - they are really nice!

As someone who is stuck with two gyrographics, I long for a multigraphic :lol:

On 9/17/2020 at 12:51 PM, JonRowe said:

As someone who is stuck with two gyrographics, I long for a multigraphic :lol:

PM me and I’ll do my best to help out. The newer displays are mind blowing compared to the old gyro displays.