Total bullshit that they had to all go to Bermuda to complete in the finals.  I get the photo op and promotional shit, but it's still defeating the purpose of eSailing.

Shipping people around fucking the planet when they could take the green angle.

Found this. Skipped around commentators or whoever not riveting. 

This last "Winning Calls" webcast with Rome and Phil was phenomenal. And there was some great inside information that will hurt many of the KiWhingersTM' feelings...which is always fun.

I'll do a write up soon. You'll want to read it.

As I said, the "Winning Calls" webcast with USA was incredible...

1767234945_ScreenShot2020-08-20at9_26_28PM.thumb.png.f2daf32d38243fec70e6c78216d0e132.png

Here are the main takeaways:

1. 100% flight time is generally a bad thing…despite the KiWhingerTM idiots over on SA claiming otherwise.
  2. The raw data may soon be available to the public. That will be kind of sick.
  3. This open-source data model has made sailing much more about the entire team/organization – not just the guys on the boat. And this means it is opening up huge opportunity for professionals of all kinds (sailors, data analysts, engineers, shore teams, etc.)
  4. The teams are planning to use this data to train in the simulator “on their competitors’ boats” to see if they can better those numbers.

12 hours ago, smackdaddy said:
  1. the teams are planning to use this data to train in the simulator “on their competitors’ boats” to see if they can better those numbers.

What differences among boats are there? What variations do they allow in setup? 

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

What differences among boats are there? What variations do they allow in setup? 

Well, obviously the overall intent is one-design. So, in that regard, there are no "appreciable" differences in setup. Now, there might be weedy stuff in the rule that teams can play with - I don't know and I'm not bothered to find out.

The point is that the combination of one-design AND open-source data means that it ALWAYS comes down the ability of the teams. And that makes BA's domination in Sydney that much more impressive - whether it came purely from sailing talent, or from both sailing and data talent.

(BTW - During the webcast, they presented a data dashboard from Sydney that the analysts use and there was some very interesting/educational stuff in there.)

But this model also means that not only can every team see and emulate exactly what BA did in every second of every race, but at some point this data can be fed into a sim to FEEL (against your own instincts) what GBR was doing with that boat to get that performance. And all of that is then immediately translatable to your own boat - if you're good enough to implement it. It's really mind-bending and is taking top-tier sailing to places we can't imagine right now in terms of talent and performance. Think of it as "The Sailing Singularity".

As I said in my write up...

Where the America’s Cup is back to its Darwinian change at a glacial pace that has thus far produced a 75′ version of this…

giphy.gif

…which seems to only be good at this…

1576779391467.jpg

…SGP is a rocket-ship in every respect…precisely because of how it’s doing things. And “Winning Calls” highlights this better than anything else I’ve seen.

So e.g., although they all use the same foil set that day, GBR may have different rake than USA  and so USA tries the sim course with those settings, etc.? Ok.

That open data model is useful for tech transfer beyond SGP, agreed. But for a league, how do you think it will work out once the teams truly are under different ownerships? And the owners want to win...

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

But for a league, how do you think it will work out once the teams truly are under different ownerships? And the owners want to win...

Hire the best sailors, data analysts, engineers, etc. Think about it like NFL, NBA, UFC, Xtreme Curling, etc - same gear for all, which simply means the real talent always wins.

If owners want to spend money on building their own boats and trying to get the edge there instead of with the talent - there's always the AC. And we see how that's going.

Just now, smackdaddy said:

Hire the best sailors, data analysts, engineers, etc. Think about it like NFL, NBA, UFC, Xtreme Curling, etc - same gear for all, which simply means the real talent always wins.

Right, but won't owners want to hire analysts and engineers and develop their own tricks wrt settings they won't want to share?  

Or will guys like that stick with TP52s, other foiler leagues, or whatever replaces them?

Just wondering about evolution.

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Right, but won't owners want to hire analysts and engineers and develop their own tricks wrt settings they won't want to share?  

Or will guys like that stick with TP52s, other foiler leagues, or whatever replaces them?

Just wondering about evolution.

They may want to - but that's not what SGP is about...as has been made clear from the beginning. And as we see more details of this model, you really begin to see the wisdom in it, and how it can elevate sailing across the board for FAR more people.

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Slingsby trying to get finale in Sydney. Or any event.

SD will be pleased by best sailors quote. 

But sounds like AUS may not be in good shape.

Just biddness but sigh. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/sailing/best-sailing-harbour-in-the-world-aussies-fight-to-save-event-20200821-p55nwg.html 

Adam's obviously a moron...

The lucrative concept, which pits the best sailors in the world against each other on identical hi-tech F45s...

I think Slingers might well pull it off. Stay tuned.

Maybe Slingers can replace Russell in management.

Australians and papers are more interested in hyping their harbor than their sailors.

PS where are the guys who show up yelling at me to get outta here cuz I am a hater? Hope they are not covidianed.

29 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Australians and papers are more interested in hyping their harbor than their sailors.

Well, you kind of hit on it right there. Think about the AUS team's need for sponsorship. And think about the incentive for Australia/Sydney to keep the event there from a global exposure standpoint. Now think about the level of investment for such a direction - compared to the complete economic dumpster-fire we're seeing with Auckland and AC36.

Seems to me it's a great opportunity for AUS (and SGP) to pull out the petrol can and finish things off to the south with a bit of douse and giggle.

How long do you think it's going to be before the Auckland Council, MBIE, etc. are ready to throw money at sailing events again after getting so royally screwed by GD?

I think you can start connecting the dots from there. It's all about strategery for the long term.

I expect a lot of interest on SailGP after that Tenet by Christopher Nolan will hit the screen. 

I think Slingers was helming the white boat and Rome was in the Blue - so I guess it was also the rest of Aus and USA onboard each one. 

As I understood it access to sim time and team data was managed/controlled for each team relative to their results/experience - so Spain, Rockwool and, ironically, INEOS would have gotten more time than Aus and Japan in the build up to 2020. This could be a self-managing system that will slowly lessen the performance gap between teams - whether it can give the 'smaller' teams quick enough improvements to keep them financially viable is yet to be seen.

I don't know to what extent teams are allowed to source their own individual analysis and development but I would expect it's going to be quite controlled to maintain the 'level playing field' aspect. Also ownership is more corporate than individual so you're less likley to find the Hasso Platners and Hap Fauths of the TP/Maxi world throwing endless cash into optimisation as the owner/drivers - teams will have a fixed sponsorship budget...

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 6:09 AM, smackdaddy said:

Think about the AUS team's need for sponsorship. And think about the incentive for Australia/Sydney to keep the event there from a global exposure standpoint.

Funni as fuck right?  Maybe AUS needs sponsors because no one here gives a fuck about it.  No one here is going to pay for this shit, we would rather go sailing.  Those who don't sail don't give a fuck.  As we have seen recently, the US has totally confused Reality TV with reality.  Happening again.

Any one remember the Super Foilers?  They lured Gashby onto those but it didn't save them.

Does it have three rings or just one?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/122597818/sir-russell-coutts-sailgp-embraced-by-hollywood-in-new-hit-movie

A bit more on the filming for Tenet including constraints from the imax cameras (short time to film) and having expected to film from a 14 knot boat, lol. 

Anybody who sees the movie, report back!  I won't until it's on demand. 

On 8/29/2020 at 3:28 AM, NeedAClew said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/122597818/sir-russell-coutts-sailgp-embraced-by-hollywood-in-new-hit-movie

A bit more on the filming for Tenet including constraints from the imax cameras (short time to film) and having expected to film from a 14 knot boat, lol. 

Anybody who sees the movie, report back!  I won't until it's on demand. 

Seen the movie at the Cinema, super dissapointing scene honestly, I was laughing a bit too hard during whats supposed to be a pretty serious scene. It's the most out of place scene in the entire movie honestly. As a somewhat Chris Nolan film fan.

Don't see this movie for the sailing in it. Watch it as a typical Nolan film which happens to have some sail boats in it for a tiny bit.

It is one of the more averagely shot sailing scenes, typical continuity problems which shows the guys editing really don't know their sailing.

Stuff like close up of characters on port tack, cuts to a distance shot of the boat while the conversation is continuing and they are now on Starboard, cut back to close up on Port tack etc.

Then the really painful shot of the main characters sailing the F50 from the leeward hull to get the shot of the other F50 out sailing with them with of course the crew all to windward... With of course all the actual guys doing everything out to windward and out of frame.

It's probably about as good as you can expect, filming this stuff for cinematic quality is hard, and it's going to be edited together for the 10 million people who want a pretty picture not the 10 thousand people who know their sailing. 

• Like 1

So I wonder how much Larry had to pay to get the F50 in the movie ... they don't do that shit for nothing.

Video with Slingsby explaining why they sailed without jibs, why not to "throw somebody off the boat," and such. Pleasant video, nice guy.

Congratulations to Plymouth, after loosing the Transat and finish of the Fastnet.  Plymouth sound makes a great natural amphitheater, I watched the very first AC World Series there in 2011, big screen on the Hoe and could look down on the race course after watching the AC45 being launched in Millbay dock.

AUSTRALIA is apparently doing a behind the scenes series. It's on YouTube. 

Most interesting thing was when Slingsby first was on foiling cats in SF (AC72) he was afraid to cross while they were foiling. Got over that, didn't he?

Thats a great vid, full of the good natured comedy you'd expect from the Aussies.

It's even worth checking the thread with smackbadly goorn.

It no longer stinks.

Fantastic series, I hope they keep it coming!

"It's far fetched saying the best teams ever" bahahahaha

He knows we (sailors) are just starting to learn how to sail these new flying things - let alone how to sail them competitively enough to warrant a designation such as "best".

Two American stop overs, San Fran and NY, Plymouth in the UK, Aarhus in Denmark, and currently slated for a French and Spanish stopover to be determined?

Is there a page anywhere listing the new schedule? 

I know they aren't coming to Miami -- but I can still try to get close.

Our plans to head back to NZ for AC have been dashed. NZ has strict quarantine rules that I agree with, and yet make any visit a quite involved adventure.

Peter Burling on how seeing a relatively empty ocean helped spur the conservation efforts with Live Ocean. Remember Live Ocean Racing is the partner for the NZ SailGP team.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/122798295/yachting-star-peter-burlings-powerful-and-timely-message-on-world-stage

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/burling-and-tuke-lead-nz-sailgp-team

Info on the videos they are releasing.  The short ones will be on their media sites.  The 4 long ones might be on TV(?) in 2021.  But maybe on the app too for free? Dunno.

+++++++++++++++++++

LONDON – September 16, 2020 – In a new content series launched today by SailGP, audiences around the globe will get unprecedented access to the sport’s pinnacle league as it gears up toward its second season, launching April 2021 in San Francisco.

Through interviews with the league’s creators, world-class athletes and leading-edge designers, fans will get to the core of SailGP and learn more about the remarkable story of the global championship, plus get exclusive access to the key personalities within it. The content series will include four episodes that will air prior to Season 2 in 2021. Ahead of that, exclusive short-form videos will debut every two weeks on SailGP’s digital channels, starting October 1.  

Each of the four episodes of SailGP: Racing on the Edge will have a distinctive theme. The first will get under the skin of the sport’s best athletes who compete in the championship and put it all on the line to reach speeds never before seen in sail racing while aiming for the season title and prize of US$1 million.

Episodes two and three will focus on the cutting-edge technology and innovation of the F50 race boats. SailGP: Racing on the Edge will go behind closed doors at Core Builders Composites in New Zealand, where the F50s are continually evolved. The series will follow the design team, which continually seeks new ways to make one of the world’s most technologically advanced race boats even faster.

The final episode, which will air ahead of the season opener in 2021, focuses on the future of the league and the role it is taking in shaping the sport.

The series is being produced by Engage Digital Partners, which recently brought to life the story of Indian Premier League team Kolkata Knight Riders and has also produced content series for World Rugby and Major League Baseball.

The distribution rights are being managed by IMG as part of SailGP’s partnership with Endeavor. To date, a number of international broadcasters are confirmed to screen the docuseries, including TV3 (Spain), Fox Sports (Australia), Claro (Latin America) and Super Sport (Sub-Saharan Africa). Additional broadcasters and platforms will be announced in due course.

SailGP CMO Tim Godfrey said: “With a growing focus on creating innovative content, we want to give fans true insight into the league and allow them to witness first-hand what it takes to race at the pinnacle of the sport. Through SailGP: Racing on the Edge, we will provide unparalleled and exclusive access to the athletes – both on and off the racecourse – and fully immerse the audience in SailGP.”

Engage Digital Partners Creative Director Neil Cole said: “We are delighted to work with such an innovative brand as SailGP and use our expertise to bring creative storytelling to life in this new content series for SailGP,  which has been created to broaden the appeal of the sport.”

SailGP Season 2 will begin with two U.S. stops (San Francisco, April 17-18; New York, June 4-5), before crossing to Europe, where racing will continue in Plymouth, UK (July 17-18), and Aarhus, Denmark (August 20-21). France, Spain and additional venues will be added to the calendar in the coming months.

Watch the SailGP: Racing on the Edge trailer here

SAILGP

SailGP is racing redefined. Established in 2018 and headquartered in London and New York, SailGP is an annual, global sports championship featuring bold, cutting-edge technology and awe-inspiring athleticism. The fan-centric, inshore racing that is powered by nature takes place in some of the most iconic harbors around the globe and culminates with a $1 million winner-takes-all match race. Rival national teams battle it out in identical supercharged F50 catamarans, engineered for intense racing at electrifying speeds exceeding 50 knots (nearly 60 mph/100 kph). Visit SailGP.com for more information.  

CONTACT

Sacha Kemp, Head of PR, SailGP

skemp@sailgp.com | +44 7772 577129

Busy news day for SGP. The new Tip&Shaft has an interview with the co CEOs of the NZ team. My pick of excerpts contrasting the SGP circuit with AC and answering the "who is paying?" question: RC et al are.

20200925_125405.jpg

20200925_125340.jpg

• Like 1

Article about the SGP - e1 partnership. Sound like RC is helping develop the boat. He does have an engineering degree, maybe this is an electrified power RC44 type circuit? I don't follow F1 at all so somebody else should opine.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/27/e1-electric-powerboat-racing-alejandro-agag-russell-coutts/

Interesting video from the US SailGP team, explains how they use the data to improve manoeuvres.

• Like 1

So will there be a schedule shakeup? Last we heard Season 2 reboot started in SF in April, then NYC in June, Plymouth in July enroute to Denmark.

https://sailgp.com/news/aarhus-selected-to-host-fourth-sailgp-event-of-season-2/

But now the Bermuda Royal Gazette says Bermuda in April!  They would be there with Inspire a couple of weeks before racing...so one reads. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/sailing/sport/article/20201025/bermuda-in-frame-to-host-sailgp

So is the US getting skipped? We are still very covid19 ridden. Even Larry Ellison's 98% owned Island of Lanai, completely covid-free until last week, now has soaring cases after his Four Seasons hotels re-opened. Island goes on lockdown stay at home Tuesday. So maybe US venues less appealing...because Amerricans?

Denmark is shutting out foreign tourists again. It's still a long time until July, but things are unpredictable ATM that any season planning will stay exactly that, planning.

Don't make plans to go until close to an event seems to be the rule. 

Bermuda is doing a big push to get Americans to go "work from home" there. Modest testing and quarantine restrictions. Lots of resorts are doing that in the US, too. 

SGP just feels like wasted potential. All the money and publicity, yet they can't even properly direct a TV broadcast. All the performance issues aside, where the AC guys make everyone else look like opti racers, in my opinion SGP has serious presentation issues. High-octane stadium racing, yet its totally unclear what the hell is going on in the race, who is passing whom, how and why penalties are assigned and cleared, what the hell the actual rules are. It's clear the TV director(s) aren't sailors and have no idea what's going on, spending a minute on tight shots of the race leader sailing all alone while there's a close midfield battle going on behind. The commentators are awful and honestly detract from the whole experience with inane, pointless, and often misleading narration. The on-screen graphics have regressed several-fold from AC35, often showing completely wrong information or just simply not showing up. Rules, and their enforcement, make no sense, and are never properly described. Why do at least two teams have penalties after every start? Why was Outerridge cleared from an OCS by dropping back to third? Why was Robertson penalized when he needed to tack to avoid the boundary? Is there proper course? I understand the need to appeal to the "lowest common denominator" but the lack of explanations of the rules mechanics make it confusing no matter how much you know about racing.

I really hope they solve some of these issues before the 2021 season, because honestly despite how exciting it is at times, the way it is presented completely baffles me and makes me want to stop watching, which is a damn shame when they're trying so hard to bring sailing to a wider audience. Honestly, the 18footer series in the 80s and 90s still remain the pinnacle of "TV sailing" in my opinion, and even the short-lived superfoiler series was a notch up from the trainwreck SGP has been. Just a small rant.

• Like 1

I agree with your comments about TV directors and the commentary, @ivansh

Looks like SGP is deservedly kicking the US to the curb for 2021, the SF and NYC venues are now supposed to be the Season 2.1 finale in early 2022.

2021 starts with Bermuda in April and then Taranto Italy in June.

https://www.sailweb.co.uk/2020/11/23/sailgp-head-to-bermuda-and-southern-italy-for-start-of-2021-22-season/

FYI, the latest presser (apologies if already posted):

Bermuda and Italy selected to host first SailGP events of second season   
Global league gains new venue partners ahead of restart in 2021

LONDON - November 23, 2020 - SailGP today announced an updated schedule for the first half of its second season, with the opening events now set for the island of Bermuda and the southern Italian city of Taranto. On April 24-25, 2021, the Bermuda Grand Prix presented by Hamilton Princess will set the stage for an expanded season that is planned to feature nine events. Following the opener, the first-ever Italy Grand Prix will be held June 5-6 in Taranto.

Though San Francisco and New York were initially set to host the first events following SailGP’s Season 2 postponement due to COVID-19, the league shifted the schedule to ensure greater certainty and reduce travel in the early part of the year. The United States Grand Prix | San Francisco will now serve as the SailGP Season 2 Grand Final, and is planned to take place in April 2022. 

Just over 1,000 km/640 miles off the East Coast of the U.S., Bermuda is not only the ultimate island destination, but has been largely shielded from the pandemic. Due to its successful health and safety measures, Bermuda is an ideal venue to restart SailGP’s global racing championship and host pre-season training.

Following the league’s restart in Bermuda, SailGP will shift to Europe – where four of its eight national teams are based – for a series of five grand prix events beginning in Taranto. Italy has long been one of the top sailing destinations in the world, and the southern coastal city will welcome the world’s best sailors for the first time. 

As previously announced, the Great Britain Grand Prix | Plymouth will then take place on July 17-18, followed by the ROCKWOOL Denmark Grand Prix | Aarhus on August 20-21. Two additional European host cities will be announced with the remaining season schedule in early December. 

SailGP CEO Sir Russell Coutts said: “After our successful opening season in 2019, cities have taken notice of SailGP, recognizing the economic potential and international exposure that comes with hosting our global events, as well as the community impact of our Race for the Future purpose-driven agenda. We’re incredibly pleased that our venue partner portfolio has expanded to include events in Bermuda and Italy. Both venues should provide excellent conditions for our high speed, close-to-shore racing. This new schedule allows us to plan our first events of 2021 with more confidence while still retaining a U.S. event at the end of the season.”

Bermuda
The Bermuda Tourism Authority will serve as Official Host Partner of the league’s first-ever Bermudian event and, through SailGP, will highlight Bermuda as a world-class destination for leisure and business travel and tourism investment. 

The Hamilton Princess & Beach Club will serve as Title Partner for the kick-off event. A Fairmont-managed hotel, the Hamilton Princess is Bermuda’s most known and iconic hotel situated on the edge of Hamilton Harbour. The West End Development Corporation (WEDCO) is the Official Venue Partner of the Bermuda Grand Prix presented by Hamilton Princess, while the event has the support of three additional partners: insurance firm BF&M, global reinsurer RenaissanceRe and leading independent offshore bank and trust company Butterfield Group. 

SailGP will also work closely with Bermuda on the common goal of diverse and meaningful social impact with clear engagement points across the community, including through SailGP Inspire. 

As an island territory, Bermuda’s sailing legacy is integral to its 400-year-old history; the seafaring nation invented the iconic Bermuda Rig, which is still used in sailing yachts today. Bermuda played host to the 35th America’s Cup in 2017, providing a spectacular playing field for the competition that first featured the foiling catamarans that evolved into the F50 used for SailGP.

Glenn Jones, interim CEO of the Bermuda Tourism Authority said: “Bermuda is open, safe and welcoming travelers in search of a truly extraordinary experience. A getaway to Bermuda delivers warm weather, cultural exploration and exciting sporting events year-round. Bermuda is incredibly proud to have been selected to host the prestigious 2021 season-opening event for SailGP, which is rapidly emerging as the pinnacle league in professional sailing. The island's tremendous sailing legacy, cultural diversity and global proximity will be on full display. The spring event will play a vital role in our tourism recovery; it's also an ideal season for superyachts to come and charter here, enjoying spectacular scenery with a front-row seat to this dynamic on-the-water event. Last month, the island hosted the 70th Bermuda Gold Cup and 2020 Open Match Racing World Championship, along with golf’s Bermuda Championship that became the first PGA TOUR event to welcome live spectators since March." 

Taranto
Taranto in Southern Italy will host the first-ever Italy Grand Prix and will be the second stop of SailGP Season 2. The ‘City of Two Seas’ is situated between two bodies of water – the Big Sea and Little Sea – and the unique natural harbor will provide the perfect setting for the adrenaline-filled racing, in front of a backdrop that marries the old and new of Southern Italy. 

SailGP will join the list of international sporting events hosted by Taranto. Most recently, in October 2020, Taranto was a stop on the prestigious Giro d'Italia – one of cycling's three Grand Tours – and in 2026, will welcome 26 countries to compete in the XX Mediterranean Games.

Taranto Mayor Rinaldo Melucci said: “With 28 centuries of history at the heart of the Mediterranean, Taranto is proud to host teams and guests from all over the world for SailGP in 2021. This will be the competition’s first stop in Europe, at the start of our legendary Italian summer. Founded as a Spartan colony, the city is emblematic of the Italian art of living well and home to one of southern Europe’s largest ports. Its waters will also become the venue for various contests in the XX Mediterranean Games. Today, Taranto is at the forefront of the Italian green new deal, and undergoing a major transition in terms of innovation and resilience. Many people might not be familiar with this corner of Italy, but Taranto’s wonderful light, flavors and beauty are something that you will cherish forever. You are all very welcome.”

Pre-Season Training
Prior to the season start, SailGP’s eight national teams – Australia, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Japan, New Zealand, Spain and the United States – will use the stunning blue waters of Bermuda’s Great Sound to hone their skills during a pre-season training camp. And, for the first time, female athletes will be included in the training as part of SailGP’s gender equity initiative.

In its inaugural season, SailGP attracted a global broadcast audience exceeding 256 million and an average economic impact of US$23 million per venue, boosting local hotels, restaurants and businesses.

What I really like about it are these graphics:
sgp21.jpg.e9b58187507f493a4d38481c3b853702.jpg

Sponsored by Jehovah's Witnesses???

The graphics are execrable and so is the arty clothing they are selling. Desperation or new art director with no taste?

Ken Done might be available and he would do a lot better than this shite. Colors are actually hard to work with successfully.

35 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

The graphics are execrable and so is the arty clothing they are selling. Desperation or new art director with no taste?

Ken Done might be available and he would do a lot better than this shite. Colors are actually hard to work with successfully.

I can't stop laughing when looking at these pictures, especially the Bermuda one. It's a bad Bob Ross painting showing a pterosaur and a vessel "on a mission from God". 

• Like 3

On 11/20/2020 at 12:53 AM, ivansh said:

SGP just feels like wasted potential. All the money and publicity, yet they can't even properly direct a TV broadcast. All the performance issues aside, where the AC guys make everyone else look like opti racers, in my opinion SGP has serious presentation issues. High-octane stadium racing, yet its totally unclear what the hell is going on in the race, who is passing whom, how and why penalties are assigned and cleared, what the hell the actual rules are. It's clear the TV director(s) aren't sailors and have no idea what's going on, spending a minute on tight shots of the race leader sailing all alone while there's a close midfield battle going on behind. The commentators are awful and honestly detract from the whole experience with inane, pointless, and often misleading narration. The on-screen graphics have regressed several-fold from AC35, often showing completely wrong information or just simply not showing up. Rules, and their enforcement, make no sense, and are never properly described. Why do at least two teams have penalties after every start? Why was Outerridge cleared from an OCS by dropping back to third? Why was Robertson penalized when he needed to tack to avoid the boundary? Is there proper course? I understand the need to appeal to the "lowest common denominator" but the lack of explanations of the rules mechanics make it confusing no matter how much you know about racing.

I really hope they solve some of these issues before the 2021 season, because honestly despite how exciting it is at times, the way it is presented completely baffles me and makes me want to stop watching, which is a damn shame when they're trying so hard to bring sailing to a wider audience. Honestly, the 18footer series in the 80s and 90s still remain the pinnacle of "TV sailing" in my opinion, and even the short-lived superfoiler series was a notch up from the trainwreck SGP has been. Just a small rant.

I think that is a bit harsh.  I have watched a lot of sailboat racing and, while far from perfect, it is the best coverage going.  The graphics make it easy to see who is ahead  The onboard audio and video is amazing, as is all the cinematography.  The rules are adequately if not completely explained.  If they discussed every rule at every situation, it would become tedious. 

The commentating is a little hit and miss.

They have some great characters out there.  They just need to let them shine.  Great entertainment-hope I get to see them live.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, efrank said:

I think that is a bit harsh.  I have watched a lot of sailboat racing and, while far from perfect, it is the best coverage going.  The graphics make it easy to see who is ahead  The onboard audio and video is amazing, as is all the cinematography.  The rules are adequately if not completely explained.  If they discussed every rule at every situation, it would become tedious. 

The commentating is a little hit and miss.

They have some great characters out there.  They just need to let them shine.  Great entertainment-hope I get to see them live.

I think some of the harshness is because the start of Season 2 (the one event) did not fix the commentating problem despite changing people and because the camerawork though high quality what was shown was often pointed at the wrong thing. For all the money put into it, compared to most saolboat racing, you'd think they would get better value. 

• Like 1