MrAspelund

Best grippy shoes

The rubber on my sailing shoes has gone hard and I'm now dancing around like Bambi when I'm on fordeck. What type of shoes have people had good experiences with?

Water draining is not a problem since I generally wear boots if it gets wet (mostly sailing in colder conditions), but want something for the lighter days. 

Fully converted to Adidas. Grippy and light. Beware there is 0% support so if that's something you need then it's not the shoe for you.

HW

Almost any sneaker is good for one season. I had a pair of Harken boat shoes that I kept on the boat, never touched anything but deck. By the second season thy were a little slippery. By the third season it was like ice skating. Now I get a new pair of sneakers for the boat at the start of the season.

8 hours ago, sailorman44 said:

Almost any sneaker is good for one season. I had a pair of Harken boat shoes that I kept on the boat, never touched anything but deck. By the second season thy were a little slippery. By the third season it was like ice skating. Now I get a new pair of sneakers for the boat at the start of the season.

The Adidas did 3 years of sailing ~4d/wk plus gym time. Still grippy

HW

21 minutes ago, Steve_sos said:

Which Adidas shoe are we talking about?

The previous model was just called Adidas Boat. Now it’s the Terrex. I’m a big fan as well. 

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

The previous model was just called Adidas Boat. Now it’s the Terrex. I’m a big fan as well. 

+1 on the terrex. Grippy and have drains in the sole. The zhik zkg I had were pretty grippy, but didn't offer much support, didn't have drains in the sole, fell apart extremely fast, and are twice the price of addidas. 

I have had luck restoring the grip of sailing boots and shoes by sanding the bottom with a vibrating sander.  100 or 80 grit paper.  

I love classic Sperrys sailing shoes. They hold 2 seasons for me, then they become perfect summer non sailing shoes. I prefer them to any more modern sailing shoes both in grip, design and comfort

On 5/29/2020 at 7:45 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

the last time i looked , they didn't sell the adidas in the US, which sucks..

They are available at many online retailers in the USA, including Adidas.com

9 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

They are available at many online retailers in the USA, including Adidas.com

I bought my current pair off Amazon

On 5/29/2020 at 5:50 AM, Misbehavin' said:

I like my Sperry 7 Seas.

s-l640.jpg

I got some of these. Best boat shoes I've owned, 5 decades on the water.

• Like 1

As previous poster stated, I too have sanded the bottoms of my deck shoes, works for me....then ten coat of varnish.

Brought some Adidas boat shoes and very pleased with them. Very grippy but not tried in the wet yet.

I'm currently using Topo Hydroventures. They give excellent grip but tend to leave some minor marks on the deck. Offshore it's Keen sandals in the tropics, and Dubarry boots in colder climates.

vans. great grip

• Like 1