Sign in to follow this  
warbird

Alergic to sunlight?

Here in the midwest we have actual seasons.  In the last couple years as the weather gets pleasant,  boats get ready for launch and yardwork becomes a pastime I breakout in hives on my forearms. This breakout seems to last a week and is always when I start outdoor activities. Am I alergic to sunlight?

17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

poissone ivey?

No, no hikes in the woods.  Most yards are all lawn , 1/4 acre or smaller. Hmong neighbor off the back yard with a 1 1/2 acre lot does a large garden, seems no chemicals, but because this started when I lived in another area, 1-3 acre lots, I am believing it is not environmemtal. 

24 minutes ago, warbird said:

Here in the midwest we have actual seasons.  In the last couple years as the weather gets pleasant,  boats get ready for launch and yardwork becomes a pastime I breakout in hives on my forearms. This breakout seems to last a week and is always when I start outdoor activities. Am I alergic to sunlight?

i don't know what it is but...although it is never an issue here in the northern plains...EVERY TIME I GO SOUTH IN THE WINTER, I END UP WITH A MASSIVE OUT BREAK OF HIVES on my forearms and lower legs.  It so bad that i question whether i should go back.  I have pics of my legs on March 16, 2020 as we left Vallarta for home...not a pretty sight.

13 minutes ago, chester said:

i don't know what it is but...although it is never an issue here in the northern plains...EVERY TIME I GO SOUTH IN THE WINTER, I END UP WITH A MASSIVE OUT BREAK OF HIVES on my forearms and lower legs.  It so bad that i question whether i should go back.  I have pics of my legs on March 16, 2020 as we left Vallarta for home...not a pretty sight.

I screen up, 50, on the boat usually for health reasons but  believe some early sun and mild taning in moderation isn't to bad. This reaction is an inconvenience but not a deal breaker for short sleeved yardwork, boat launch and mast stepping, 4 boats and masts in the last week.

I used to get this after the first few days each year of being wet racing dinghys. I think it was some kind of allergy to algae that started growing in the water in the late spring

1 minute ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I used to get this after the first few days each year of being wet racing dinghys. I think it was some kind of allergy to algae that started growing in the water in the late spring

That algae thing may be true but I havent been on a boat except stepping a mast at the seawall. 

Sunshine allergy is a real thing. Wife gets it. I didn’t believe her explanation until Google confirmed. 

Filipinos are weird. Sunshine allergies and cannot swim. Who coulda guessed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warbird said:

I checked on allergies and psychosis.  This:  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321578

This would explain why a sane person would post the things you do.

It just indicates that you're a pussy.

4 minutes ago, hasher said:

I checked on allergies and psychosis.  This:  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321578

This would explain why a sane person would post the things you do.

That's all fine except I have been an asshole poster for 15+ years and this reaction is only 3 or 4 years old.

• Like 2

Sounds to me like you're in Mitch McConnell's gene pool.  Sorry about that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, warbird said:

That's all fine except I have been an asshole poster for 15+ years and this reaction is only 3 or 4 years old.

Your sins catch up to you as you slow?

Psychosis is an abnormal condition of the mind that results in difficulties determining what is real and what is not.

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Sounds to me like you're in Mitch McConnell's gene pool.  Sorry about that.

That explains a lot.

It’s real. I take benedryl if I’m going to be on a boat all day

Along with sunscreen and UV clothing

11 hours ago, warbird said:

possible Grovers disease 

that and the true personality of some folks really shows up, or they can not contain themselves or both

11 hours ago, warbird said:

yardwork becomes a pastime

there are certain compounds found in plants that don't directly cause irritation until you get hit with UV & only then they cause a nasty rash. any chance you've consistently weed-whacked some wild parsnip juice onto your arms?

10 minutes ago, mcpusc said:

there are certain compounds found in plants that don't directly cause irritation until you get hit with UV & only then they cause a nasty rash. any chance you've consistently weed-whacked some wild parsnip juice onto your arms?

Creossotte dose samethinge.

• Like 1

Do you take NSAIDS? They and other meds including otc ones can cause sun rashes. I got them for years.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/sun-sensitizing-drugs

Some sunscreens also are problematic for me.

https://dermnetnz.org/topics/sunscreen-allergy/

Try wearing SPF shirts with long sleeves, no sunscreen. 

2 hours ago, mcpusc said:

^^^

This...

My daughter, who is of the outdoorsy style got some plant sap on her arm. Sun exposure triggered some reaction and she ended up with second degree burns... It was not "regular" sunburns, the area was very limited and with very precise boundaries.

I don't remember the plant species but I can investigate if you want.

Must be allergic to boat and yard work. When my wife decides it is time for a springtime yard cleanup, it is amazing what kinds of diseases surface.

Ever been tested for allergies?  If so, how long ago?  Might be time to be tested again.

The white pine in our front yard produced a bumper crop of pollen this year -- I"ve never seen so much, and we've been in this house for 30+ years.

14 hours ago, chester said:

I have pics of my legs

Let’s see them, sicko!

My arms and legs get red and itchy every spring when I start prepping boats.

A3280B01-0A08-4E42-94B1-30123365F8A9.jpeg

C093929E-78B1-4A10-8164-BAC751CA60CD.jpeg

DB3C4423-05CC-451A-8F40-B160CE1711E1.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Let’s see them, sicko!

What hulle nubber ist that littelle pigge............   I meane Enswine                                         :)

teak dust

I actually don’t know!

Lady didn’t want to buy this for $20,000, said it was too much money. 

She’s $10,500 into it before I got it Monday. She paid about$2,500, had it hauled from Niantic, CT  for $2,000 to get it and had the local yard install new bulkheads and Awlwood the benches for $6,500. It’s going to be a couple of grand to recore the beat cabin top and Prep the decks for her to “paint“. By the time her retired brother collapses from trying to sand the topsides for them to paint and the rudder is removed and repaired they will be in possession of a $5,000 beater with a shit paint job:)

The red boat went up to CT to live on a mooring.

ADCE4C99-1A7C-48AD-B09A-EA49DE58A0FE.jpeg

53 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

teak dust

That’s balsa dust. 

This is teak dust!

and shavings

A98B5FF4-BBEA-4B33-AC63-B6A3C58027B5.jpeg

858A4C53-D032-4273-8C96-E58F3C13E6D3.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

That’s balsa dust. 

This is teak dust!

and shavings

A98B5FF4-BBEA-4B33-AC63-B6A3C58027B5.jpeg

858A4C53-D032-4273-8C96-E58F3C13E6D3.jpeg

My comment was to the OP....I am allergic to teak dust and shavings in the summer when it is hot and I am sweaty, the fresh cut teak dust mixed with sweat especailly when sunlight is in the mix. 

Ahh, I am allergic to cedar dust in the summer-wintertime is not a problem though. 

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I got this from just vacuuming that cabin out again after cleaning it out yesterday. In this case it’s ‘glass dust. 

0D6DE52C-AED9-4CDE-A38B-C6D259F6A2D5.jpeg

If I lay on my back on our lawn my back swells up with big hives.

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

What hulle nubber ist that littelle pigge............   I meane Enswine

Lots of lipstick to apply to this porker but the cockpit brightwork is top notch. 

3125965E-0BA1-41C7-A21C-B6739AB90268.jpeg

05F6A12A-3DFF-4293-A1C9-9F3D42C84754.jpeg

82AF2847-1248-4BC9-BD89-EBE3F24EA958.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Let’s see them, sicko!

you asked for it.

0?ui=2&ik=cfa0810924&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1667954091276072624&th=1725c368a82b76b0&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8TQ8zdknLcFnwhmwvTEkZpw3FTJQjvm6_n1Hw6OSvnHZrV2-TUBgZmG78Tgysgd9pE8o4xjUZ8tQK9tztaCTJD9k3H0JgkKg2ZqGtjI8IegyFItU_XSD3HIxw&disp=emb

also my arms mostly from the elbows to wrist

I don't think my problem is sun....I live in a place that averages 325 sunny days per year!

A few years ago my MD buddy glibly offered: "oh, you introduced a foreign protein", I'm sure he's right but not practically helpful.  The year he said that we had done from Vallarts=a to San Blas to stay with friends and i distinctly remember  being stung on the finger by what looked like a biggish black ant... also San Blas is noted for it's persistent infestation of sand flies.  hives expressed by the time we got back to Vallarta.  This year, we were in San Blas about 10 days in and the hives took off.  so it's fucking San Blas!  never going back.  

But...I also got them in Costa Rica (pacific coast around Haco).  Both San Blas and CR are warmer and more humid than Vallarta itself in the winter, is humidity trigger?  In 2018 we went to Vallarta and stayed in the city and I came away unscathed BUT I had taken a prophylactic course of prescription antihistamines...that left me constipated, sigh.

This year i was taking a lesser dose of an overcounter anti histamine AND Metamucil  and things were going well until 10 days in we went to SAN BLAS!  I had a very few red spots that were visible but not raised and not itchy until then so I don't know if they would have expressed as in the picture if we had not gone to the bug infested hell that is San Blas. SB does have an incredible, long shore break though!

I keep it in small amounts to use as filler or thickener. Once in a while if I can’t get a fire pit to get going I toss in a small amount of shavings.

Having tons of teak makes for a lot of ideas and selling the shavings was not in my business plan until now!

39C377B1-A829-4CCE-BA0B-706B0C64EC14.png

ED1648A2-63BB-4BAF-9B6E-7CB54A1BD903.png

3 minutes ago, chester said:

The year he said that we had done from Vallarts=a to San Blas to stay with friends and i distinctly remember  being stung on the finger by what looked like a biggish black ant... also San Blas is noted for it's persistent infestation of sand flies.  hives expressed by the time we got back to Vallarta.  This year, we were in San Blas about 10 days in and the hives took off.  so it's fucking San Blas!  never going back.  

But

My first time in the Keys my lower legs were covered in hives from some Tiny insects that got my one night. Lasted for days....

22 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

My first time in the Keys my lower legs were covered in hives from some Tiny insects that got my one night. Lasted for days....

this is a distinct possibility.  the sand flies may not be around in Vallarta, we are on Los Muertos beach which is steep and gets a thumping surf.  They may have been present CR.  San Blas is noted for them.  our friends are always using the deet and shutting the doors.  the touble is the little fuckers are essentially invisible nor do you actually feel them bite.  If you asked me if I had any sensation of bugs and bites, my answer would be no! 

How bad is San Blas's reputation? In March we were gassing up in Tepic and when Mario said they were from matechan bay the attendant started miming slapping bugs! 

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Let’s see them, sicko!

Mold and mildew can sure cause that.  Mix a little saw and sanding dust and stir in some caustic cleaning compounds and you've got a dermatologist's hellscape.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcpusc said:

Euphorbia is another plant to avoid gardening with with bare skin. 

26 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Mold and mildew can sure cause that.  Mix a little saw and sanding dust and stir in some caustic cleaning compounds and you've got a dermatologist's hellscape.

You can see the waterline on the bunks so you can be sure there is much more mold in there. Thank goodness for organic cartridge filter masks!

18 hours ago, warbird said:

I want to make fun of you, but whenever I go from indoors to bright sunlight, it makes me sneeze. Doesn’t matter if it’s summer or winter. 

9 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I want to make fun of you, but whenever I go from indoors to bright sunlight, it makes me sneeze. Doesn’t matter if it’s summer or winter. 

That's different -- look up "achoo syndrome".  Seriously -- I have it.

16 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

I knew it was a real condition, just never knew the name. I’ll try listing it next time I renew my license. Maybe they’ll give me handicap plates!  :D

7 hours ago, mcpusc said:

7 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Creossotte dose samethinge.

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Do you take NSAIDS? They and other meds including otc ones can cause sun rashes. I got them for years.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/sun-sensitizing-drugs

Some sunscreens also are problematic for me.

https://dermnetnz.org/topics/sunscreen-allergy/

Try wearing SPF shirts with long sleeves, no sunscreen. 

4 hours ago, Laurent said:

^^^

This...

My daughter, who is of the outdoorsy style got some plant sap on her arm. Sun exposure triggered some reaction and she ended up with second degree burns... It was not "regular" sunburns, the area was very limited and with very precise boundaries.

I don't remember the plant species but I can investigate if you want.

4 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Ever been tested for allergies?  If so, how long ago?  Might be time to be tested again.

The white pine in our front yard produced a bumper crop of pollen this year -- I"ve never seen so much, and we've been in this house for 30+ years.

Thanks all. 2 different home locations, one brand new with a few saplings planted of species different from the 27 year homestead. The lawn is fescue and clover (clover and fescue?) with a few dandilions. I take no medications, vitamins or pain relievers. I haven't started boat work and I haven't been in the woods. If this is like the last couple years, it will clear in a week or so.

8 minutes ago, Monkey said:
28 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

I knew it was a real condition, just never knew the name. I’ll try listing it next time I renew my license. Maybe they’ll give me handicap plates!  :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

:)

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Let’s see them, sicko!

Might be a stretch to call that a boat.

It is in an alpha female’s world. She’s writing the check after all!

I’ve crushed better Ensigns.

On 5/27/2020 at 5:09 PM, warbird said:

Hives can be triggered by sunlight, it is a common thing. They should temper down in a day or two...  if not, take some Diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Or, there is the old Amish cure, just pee on it!

On 5/28/2020 at 12:26 PM, warbird said:

Might be a stretch to call that a boat. 

Looks like the classic "bring out another thousand" to me.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:10 PM, Sail4beer said:

Lots of lipstick to apply to this porker but the cockpit brightwork is top notch. 

82AF2847-1248-4BC9-BD89-EBE3F24EA958.jpeg

those ensigns have a dance floor for a cockpit...   my cockpit looks like that ,except 3 ft shorteer and about 2 ft narrower..

On 5/28/2020 at 12:24 PM, Sail4beer said:

they're called noseeum's ..

Ceratopogonidae is a family of flies commonly known as no-see-ums, or biting midges, generally 1–3 mm in length. The family includes more than 5,000 species, distributed worldwide, apart from the Antarctic and the Arctic.

I think that’s what got me.

I remember waking up/coming to in the screen enclosed porch one morning and seeing the Spots. Weeks of red itchy welts

My boat is in Panamarina, a jumping off marina for the San Blas. First night on the boat on the water in November was hellish with noseeums, but then the marina office told me to try old fashioned "mosquito coils" burned slowly all night in the companionway. Completely stopped them, so we used one each night when in the San Blas for a week and blis!

sunburn-8.jpg

On 5/28/2020 at 3:14 AM, El Boracho said:

Sunshine allergy is a real thing. Wife gets it. I didn’t believe her explanation until Google confirmed. 

Filipinos are weird. Sunshine allergies and cannot swim. Who coulda guessed?

I have a Lab that won't swim. 

It's embarrassing but I love her so I tolerate it.

I guess you feel the same way about your wife.

• Like 1