Sign in to follow this  
Mid

Day # 8

Live Now: New York protesters march | end to police brutality | USA | George Floyd

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mid said:

No pasarán.

Protestors fighting cops, cops fighting protestors, eventually, someone will look up from the street and notice the people up on the overlooks, who decided to militarize the cops, decided not to train them how not to kill Black people at 2x the rate of everyone else.

22 minutes ago, mikewof said:

2x the rate of everyone else.

check your numbers

If not for covid I would be in downtown Houston now - am grateful to see it's a peaceful protest and hope it stays that way. It is a huge help that we have a responsible police chief - I can remember when that was not the case although not the time to detail an ugly history. 

Change is coming and I hope it is productive.

7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

check your numbers

1442065759_Screenshot_20200602-223314_SamsungInternet01.thumb.jpg.81c3ec8fbd9c5bc298f2017fbcfd8329.jpg

What about Razor Clean?

6 hours ago, d'ranger said:

If not for covid I would be in downtown Houston now - am grateful to see it's a peaceful protest and hope it stays that way. It is a huge help that we have a responsible police chief - I can remember when that was not the case although not the time to detail an ugly history. 

Change is coming and I hope it is productive.

I am...not entirely happy...being on the far side of the world for all this.

As a tubby bastard with a history of asthma, chancing COVID-19 to go out and protest may not be the wisest move. But damn, I want to add my voice and do something.

Outside of ranting on social media and sending off a few bucks, it seems so freaking impotent being here.

5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

As a tubby bastard with a history of asthma, chancing COVID-19 to go out and protest may not be the wisest move. But damn, I want to add my voice and do something.

Outside of ranting on social media and sending off a few bucks, it seems so freaking impotent being here.

My only suggestion -

Target three of your friends or relatives stateside who don't vote.  Get them to vote.  Harass them, cajole them, negotiate with them, bribe them if necessary.  Get them to vote.  It doesn't even matter who or what they vote for.  Just get them to vote so they can get into the habit of voting.  If you believe in democracy as the best form of government, voting is the most powerful tool for change.  The status quo wins when the status quo is maintained.  The best way to disrupt the status quo is to get new pieces on the board - new voters.  If you can get one of the three to participate, you've won this round.

Otherwise, stay safe.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mikewof said:

1442065759_Screenshot_20200602-223314_SamsungInternet01.thumb.jpg.81c3ec8fbd9c5bc298f2017fbcfd8329.jpg

What about Razor Clean?

Again - this is a bad statistic.  How many blacks are arrested as compared to whites.  This needs to be binnd by population in the US, and buy crimes comitted by color.  Bad statistics are bad, m'kay?

17 hours ago, Mid said:

Really good and reasonable interview. people actually admitting that the kids are alright (and smarter than we are)

9 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

well they did have a protest in Auckland on monday, and you're pretty safe from CV19 in NZ?

Sydney yesterday

Organise a protest..Melbourne style

3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

well they did have a protest in Auckland on monday, and you're pretty safe from CV19 in NZ?

Sydney yesterday

What's a "clap stick"?

47 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

What's a "clap stick"?

Musical instrument.

clapsticks_esm.thumb.jpg.0d354af12639b27b8d0243532b35c9fe.jpg

3 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

Musical instrument.

Well...OK. I was imagining a chap stick for your willy, didn't think that was really necessary at a protest.

6 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Again - this is a bad statistic.  How many blacks are arrested as compared to whites.  This needs to be binnd by population in the US, and buy crimes comitted by color.  Bad statistics are bad, m'kay?

Did you actually read what you wrote up there? Why should ANYONE be killed by police after they are arrested? The whole point of police making an arrest is that they then remove that person's custody to "the people." The police then have an obligation to protect that person's life as that person would protect their own life.

Your idea of "bad statistics" apparently means "statistics that you seek to ignore."

The Blacks and Latinios are killed by police at a higher RATE than the rest of society is not "bad statistics." And you seem to need to educate yourself on the meaning of the word "rate" because you seem to have no grasp of the meaning based on what you wrote up there, m'kay?

That data is meaningful and important, and it addresses both your's and Clean's ignorance about "bad statistics" and "check your numbers."

Screenshot_20200602-223314_Samsung Internet~01.jpg

hey that's a great statistic.  Do you have any other cool 5-month snapshots from "The Counted" from 5 years ago? 

1 hour ago, cmilliken said:

Musical instrument.

In latin music, they call those sticks the clave. The clave rhythm forms the backbone of afro-cuban music.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Sydney yesterday

The Auckland protest was over before I knew about it...

And it looked like it was breaking the "Groups of 100" Level 2 guidelines, but they didn't break it up.

I'm thinking they mean 'clap sticks' like these:

Inflatables Items - All Products

(Don't know how they got a pic of me as a kid)