Sign in to follow this  
Bull City

A request regarding acronyms & abbreviations

I wondered if we could rely a little less on abbreviations for things. Recently, someone used NIFR. I looked it up on Google and got National Indian Federation of Railwaymen. Some I get, FWIW, YMMV, IIRC.

Thanks.

B.C.

• Like 1

I'm with you on this, Bull. I get it if you're on your cell phone, though I painstakingly type most words and phrases out there too.  It's so easy to type a phrase on the computer's keyboard, rather than go to all caps to type in an acronym. At least it is for me.

I work for a large aerospace Corp that on our internal intraweb has a link to company acronyms.....which despite being pages long still misses about 50% of the time.......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bull City said:

I wondered if we could rely a little less on abbreviations for things. Recently, someone used NIFR. I looked it up on Google and got National Indian Federation of Railwaymen. Some I get, FWIW, YMMV, IIRC.

Thanks.

B.C.

Does that mean we can continue to use FWIW, YMMV, IIRC?

HTFU you lot! Just look at them as mental calisthenics.

• Like 1

Is a BLT a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sarnie  or a Branch Line Terminus?

When I was working in Saudi we got a 4 A4 page info sheet on what was going on in the company, with the last bit saying "please read your local notice board for further information", I Faxed back saying the nearest information board is 3000 Miles away, binoculars might be handy... Also please send a list of all the TLAs and other jargon known only to head office, in English ... 16 pages were eventually faxed back...

Now I'm back with the same problem with this company, we get emails from the USA, littered with business speak, references to American sports, abreviations and TLAs. The latest one being in reference to things happening in Minnesota.

They also keep demanding we attend meetings in the USA....in an hours time...

Today I had to do an online course on "Company Integrity and compliance"  I'm sorry but I haven't much of a clue what they're on about and USA laws do not apply in the UK.

NIFR to me is Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue

YHTBFKM

• Like 2

STFU.

• Like 1

WTF?

Where's the T&A?

4 hours ago, The Q said:

Is a BLT a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sarnie  or a Branch Line Terminus?

When I was working in Saudi we got a 4 A4 page info sheet on what was going on in the company, with the last bit saying "please read your local notice board for further information", I Faxed back saying the nearest information board is 3000 Miles away, binoculars might be handy... Also please send a list of all the TLAs and other jargon known only to head office, in English ... 16 pages were eventually faxed back...

Now I'm back with the same problem with this company, we get emails from the USA, littered with business speak, references to American sports, abreviations and TLAs. The latest one being in reference to things happening in Minnesota.

They also keep demanding we attend meetings in the USA....in an hours time...

Today I had to do an online course on "Company Integrity and compliance"  I'm sorry but I haven't much of a clue what they're on about and USA laws do not apply in the UK.

NIFR to me is Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue

I'm with you on this, and our American friends are the worst at this by a long chalk.  I work for an American company and the shit we get from head office just makes us laugh most the time.

We also work with an American consultancy who sent a note telling us not to use TLAs. I would have thought that unusually reasonable and sensible if their company name wasn't a TLA. Silly fuckers.

Uk coastguard hires standby ETV's, emergency towing vessels.  Takes an idiot to need a TLA to replace a three letter word: Tug.

• Like 5

I figure Urban Dictionary is probably my best source to look up any acronym I find on Sailing Anarchy.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, maxstaylock said:

Uk coastguard hires standby ETV's, emergency towing vessels.  Takes an idiot to need a TLA to replace a three letter word: Tug.

I'm always amazed when people speak (as opposed to write) in TLAs.  I noticed it first on detective shows when the actors would say "GSW" even though this actually more syllables to speak than what it stood for (gun shot wound).

• Like 1

So to all of  you going on and on about American companies and their TLA's, what is a TLA? Tuna Lettuce and Avocado sandwich?

Three Letter Acronym - it's the inside joke when you work with groups that acronym you to death and back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxstaylock said:

Takes an idiot to need a TLA to replace a three letter word:

Yep. I programmed 911 on my speed dialer.

It's now #38.

• Like 2

OB-GYN, which is admittedly shorter, until it's pronounced: 'oh-bee-gee-why-enn.' It seems to me that 'obstet' would be easier by far...

Reminds me of 10-4:

"10-4 is an affirmative signal: it means “OK.” The ten-codes are credited to Illinois State Police Communications Director Charles Hopper who created them between 1937–40 for use in radio communications among cops." (dictionary.com)

There are 99 ten-codes. Can you imagine having to know them all? No wonder state troopers/police are so odd.

I believe the 10 codes were created as a response to the shitty comm equipment of the day - they are more distinct than words when coming across crackling airways and shitty speakers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Three Letter Acronym - it's the inside joke when you work with groups that acronym you to death and back.

Just for fun... when invited by your partner to a work function where the use of TLA’s is most of the conversation, start chatting with the other non work people and throw in some completely made up TLA’s

18 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Just for fun... when invited by your partner to a work function where the use of TLA’s is most of the conversation, start chatting with the other non work people and throw in some completely made up TLA’s

haha, since the TLA was sprung on me when first involved in a telecom group I used it to comedic effect several times.  Hilarity ensued over drinks afterwards.

TICBS! I can throw that one into a discussion without offending the decorum police who might take exception if I bellowed "this is complete bullshit". Marry a Marine's daughter and you'll have need of a few of these from time to time.

Worse than acronyms is corporate buzzword speak. You know, "leveraging our global brand presence across multiple geographies to onboard the multiple best forward outcomes". I must hand it to our current CEO though. He was notorious, but when he stepped into the CEO position, he asked people to e-mail him thoughts on how he could best lead our (consulting engineering) firm. One of my suggestions was to communicate to our mostly engineering staff in clear, concise language, much the way we do when we write engineering reports for our clients. I don't know how many had similar comments, but his firm-wide e-mails now look to be written by a human.

Edit: Just realized I used TLA's for Chief Executive Officer. Hit forehead with palm; shake head.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Reminds me of 10-4:

"10-4 is an affirmative signal: it means “OK.” The ten-codes are credited to Illinois State Police Communications Director Charles Hopper who created them between 1937–40 for use in radio communications among cops." (dictionary.com)

There are 99 ten-codes. Can you imagine having to know them all? No wonder state troopers/police are so odd.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I believe the 10 codes were created as a response to the shitty comm equipment of the day - they are more distinct than words when coming across crackling airways and shitty speakers.

proper radio codes are Q codes .

• Like 1

Why are all those people getting uppity about the Bureau of Land Management, and spray painting on all the windows and walls? 

• Like 2

You guys should sit in a meeting with DOD management slobs.  Friggin retards speak in acronyms all the time.

9 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

OMFG, I was just trying to summon up some falcon codes from aging brain cells. In 1972 I was on one of the last surviving diesel subs and there was a soon to retire radioman chief that developed (as so many lifers did back then at the end of their servitude) an amusingly bad attitude. Chief Willy began leaving little anonymous Falcon code printouts around the boat that were obviously from the radio shack as they printed on yellow paper exclusively.

The crew immediately began communicating in Falconese whenever they could. Sadly, I only recall my favorite Falcon 49 "Excuse me sir, you've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a fuck!"

Pretty lame now but absolutely revolutionary back then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shu said:

Hit forehead with palm; shake head.

HFWPSH

The boss of a company I once worked for didn't like the name R&D Dep't (a bunch of guys sitting around all day with their feet up, reading books. I was one of them.) so he renamed it Advanced Technology Group - ATG. My manager resigned (not over that) so the boss advertised for an ATG Manager. Didn't get many responses.

11 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

The boss of a company I once worked for didn't like the name R&D Dep't (a bunch of guys sitting around all day with their feet up, reading books. I was one of them.) so he renamed it Advanced Technology Group - ATG. My manager resigned (not over that) so the boss advertised for an ATG Manager. Didn't get many responses.

'splain please. I googled ATG, and don't get it.

36 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Because ATG dpt. is not a thing. R&D dpt. is.

R&B dpt. is waaaay cooler, though.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 4:30 PM, SloopJonB said:

I was always amazed at how the WW2 generation could hear things on the radio that I didn't even recognize as speech.

"Herman had to bail..."

"There's a German on your tail!"

Hell, 70's taxicab radios were indecipherable to me.

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Because ATG dpt. is not a thing. R&D dpt. is.

R&B dpt. is waaaay cooler, though.

Thank you.

13 hours ago, Bull City said:

Neither did he.

Hehe, reminds me of that old joke:

“One of the most imminent problems in modern medicine is that there are only 170,000 possible ways to combine three letters to an acronym, and most are in use already.” 

You can substitute “medicine” with almost anything... engineering, navigation, aviation, computer programming, ... 

OMG RTFM FYYFF.

I had an engineering summer job in the Structures and Materials lab...  we really, really, really should have had t-shirts that said S&M Lab.  If I had merited business cards I'd have insisted.

There is a business on Venables Street in Vancouver... S+M Auto Body. The mind boggles.

(It's just down the street from B+E Furniture Liquidators.)

Not an acronym but a great name - there used to be Midnight Auto Parts on S.E. Marine.

18 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Not an acronym but a great name - there used to be Midnight Auto Parts on S.E. Marine.

There is a B&E Glass in Victoria.

Back in the days when I was teaching neuroscience, there was always somebody who discovered that the neurotransmitter NMDA was really......

image.png.c9e770725608c7987f82143c12a89076.png

image.png.cf80b95db436b829fb70552523fac49c.png

57 minutes ago, Secret Experiment said:

Back in the days when I was teaching neuroscience, there was always somebody who discovered that the neurotransmitter NMDA was really......

image.png.c9e770725608c7987f82143c12a89076.png

image.png.cf80b95db436b829fb70552523fac49c.png

That's so cute. It's like having a deer.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's so cute. It's like having a deer.

Or a cute little ass.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Or a cute little ass.

i cant tell how cute her ass is, shes standing behind the donkey...

Back in the 1970s in Miami, Florida, there was an old marine supply store named Crook & Crook. It's still there. Their motto is: "We don't aim to live up to our name."

• Like 1

I had a good buddy who in our younger years got pretty good at furnishing our abodes at the time by doing some high level dumpster diving. When asked what he did for a living at that age he used to tell people that he had a Phd in FOT. (Found Object Technology)

On 6/6/2020 at 2:22 AM, d'ranger said:

So...back in my Adman days we had a computer tech client who wanted a double page spread in a magazine featuring their latest smart box.....I took the brief. It was full of indecipherable acronyms that we were assured would be "self-evident" to the target audience.....I didn't agree, particularly as the purchasing decision makers were not the tech heads. I re-jigged the brief and what resulted was a feature photo of a pretty boring box with lots of arrows pointing to different areas of the box....each arrow indicating a "TLA". Massive Headline read....."Now with More TLA's!" The tongue in cheek approach was a commercial hit - even collected an award! Taking the Piss with TLAs and tech ...was a winner!

• Like 2

As for sailing acronyms.....LOMBARD was always good. A LOMBARD is a problematic boat owner......as in: "It's a nice boat but the owner's a bit of a LOMBARD"...... Lots Of Money But A Real Dickhead!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Couta said:

So...back in my Adman days we had a computer tech client who wanted a double page spread in a magazine featuring their latest smart box.....I took the brief. It was full of indecipherable acronyms that we were assured would be "self-evident" to the target audience.....I didn't agree, particularly as the purchasing decision makers were not the tech heads. I re-jigged the brief and what resulted was a feature photo of a pretty boring box with lots of arrows pointing to different areas of the box....each arrow indicating a "TLA". Massive Headline read....."Now with More TLA's!" The tongue in cheek approach was a commercial hit - even collected an award! Taking the Piss with TLAs and tech ...was a winner!

A bit like the old Volkswagen "Ugly" series.

Smart, entertaining advertising is the best.

• Like 1

I have worked in government property for many years. One of my jobs was in Police.

The government of the time had a great idea to join together the police Department and the State Emergency Services to form this new agency called the Department Of Police and Emergency Services.

After I organised the statewide name change on all their buildings and abbreviated their name using the initials as an acronym, there was a sudden change of heart about this organisational name change  .........

You should try to read an oil well drilling or workover report.

11/21/01          DSS 4. WOC @ 2174’in Anhyd. Drld 224’ in 9 hrs. 8-5/8” csg @ 2174’. MW 9.6, vis 34, pH 8, WOB 55, rot 100, gpm 307, PP 1450. Bit # 1: 12¼ STC F37 retip, sn 708804, 12-12-12, in @ 0’, out @ 2174’, drld 2174’ in 52.75 hrs, ROP 41 ft/hr. Surveys: 1¾º @ 2170’. Summary: Drilled to surface casing point @ 1515 hrs, 11-20-01. Circ & drop totco. POH & LD 8” DC’s, RU casing crew & ran NGS (0.80’), 1 jt 8.625” 32.0# ST&C new casing (43.63’) FC (1.50’), 53 jts 8.625” 32.0# ST&C new casing (2135.62’) TLS 2181.55’. Set csg @ 2174’. C&CH. RU FCI & cmtd w/660 sx lite cmt w/1% CaCl2 & 1/4# celloflake, tailed w/340 sx Cl C w/2% CaCl2. Lost returns w/25 bbls displacement left, did not circ cmt. Notified TRC (Bill Hartzoge). WOC. $33576/88632/229,450.

• Like 3

Many of these things may go back to the time when it cost $ 1 (and took one second) to transmit one letter digitally. 

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

You should try to read an oil well drilling or workover report.

11/21/01          DSS 4. WOC @ 2174’in Anhyd. Drld 224’ in 9 hrs. 8-5/8” csg @ 2174’. MW 9.6, vis 34, pH 8, WOB 55, rot 100, gpm 307, PP 1450. Bit # 1: 12¼ STC F37 retip, sn 708804, 12-12-12, in @ 0’, out @ 2174’, drld 2174’ in 52.75 hrs, ROP 41 ft/hr. Surveys: 1¾º @ 2170’. Summary: Drilled to surface casing point @ 1515 hrs, 11-20-01. Circ & drop totco. POH & LD 8” DC’s, RU casing crew & ran NGS (0.80’), 1 jt 8.625” 32.0# ST&C new casing (43.63’) FC (1.50’), 53 jts 8.625” 32.0# ST&C new casing (2135.62’) TLS 2181.55’. Set csg @ 2174’. C&CH. RU FCI & cmtd w/660 sx lite cmt w/1% CaCl2 & 1/4# celloflake, tailed w/340 sx Cl C w/2% CaCl2. Lost returns w/25 bbls displacement left, did not circ cmt. Notified TRC (Bill Hartzoge). WOC. $33576/88632/229,450.

That's pretty clear - "We drilled a very deep hole and it cost a shitload of money".

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 6:41 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Beg to differ with a couple of those. Falcon 269 was actually 121. And they originated with Air Force FACs (Forward Air Controllers for non-TLA afficionados) who were getting chastised by some REMF (go look that one up if you don't know it) types in Seventh Air Force who had corn cobs shoved up their ass and were concerned the American public wouldn't support the war if they learned their pilot heroes were prone to using profanity. So the FACs came up with their own codes which were augmented by helpful suggestions fellow aviators in O Club bars from Cubi Point to U Banh. Seventh AF got the message and dropped their complaints but the horse was out of the barn.

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's pretty clear - "We drilled a very deep hole and it cost a shitload of money".

But did they strike oil?

You lucky bastards...

The French administration seems keen on FLA (Five Letter Acronyms, did I invent this one ? ). These aren't even acronyms, "comité de pilotage" becomes a bloody COPIL. For those who might wonder, this is a meeting where you pretend to take decisions while offloading work to your neighbour.

1 minute ago, Panoramix said:

You lucky bastards...

The French administration seems keen on FLA (Five Letter Acronyms, did I invent this one ? ). These aren't even acronyms, "comité de pilotage" becomes a bloody COPIL. For those who might wonder, this is a meeting where you pretend to take decisions while offloading work to your neighbour.

FLA is the TLA for a five letter acronym (or is it four?)

Edit: I have a friend who loves this one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

But did they strike oil?

Lost returns w/25 bbls displacement left,

Looks like yes but not enough to bother with. :D

Maybe CL can convert that thing to English?

6 hours ago, Panoramix said:

You lucky bastards...

Our Federal government has a practice that is not really acronyms but falls into the same general range of language fuckery - partly driven by trying to accommodate two languages in one "code word".

The tax revenue department is Revenue Canada or RevCan

Environment dep't is EnviroCan

Statistical dep't is StatsCan

And so on.

^^ Sounds kinda like: "You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream".

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Our Federal government has a practice that is not really acronyms but falls into the same general range of language fuckery - partly driven by trying to accommodate two languages in one "code word".

And so on.

Sanitation is ShitCan? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

And so on.

Dance department is CanCan...

• Like 2

On 6/8/2020 at 4:07 PM, Rasputin22 said:

I had a good buddy who in our younger years got pretty good at furnishing our abodes at the time by doing some high level dumpster diving. When asked what he did for a living at that age he used to tell people that he had a Phd in FOT. (Found Object Technology)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292475467_Empire_of_scrounge_Inside_the_urban_underground_of_dumpster_diving_trash_picking_and_street_scavenging

On 6/7/2020 at 10:18 PM, sculpin said:

I had an engineering summer job in the Structures and Materials lab...  we really, really, really should have had t-shirts that said S&M Lab.  If I had merited business cards I'd have insisted.

A Cape Breton Island Trucking firm.  a friend who sails a C&C 38 drives for them, all over North America. http://www.smtrucking.ns.ca/

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjlGvO24V-1IPjGOJM9t3

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Dance department is CanCan...

We do have a CanCon - controls Canadian content of TV and in the movies etc.

On 6/10/2020 at 7:04 PM, Salazar said:

A Cape Breton Island Trucking firm.  a friend who sails a C&C 38 drives for them, all over North America. http://www.smtrucking.ns.ca/

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjlGvO24V-1IPjGOJM9t3

They could deliver the S&M, but I was doing cutting edge research!