Sign in to follow this  
Mid

Black Lives Matter

3 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

No. That would imply bea admissione  that America had done something wrong.

fixte                   :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

fixte                   :)

Thack you. :)

Attorneys Mark and Patricia McCloskey protect their castle against the evil BLM protesters.  Why are white people so paranoid and hysterical?

Are you serious as why people are scared of BLM and the guilt-ed white millennials?  What fucking rock have you been living under you snowflake.  I am assuming you think they are walking around burning shit down so they can roast marshmallows, playing the guitar, holding hands, singing happy songs.  Bring that shit to my hood and see what happens.  They are testing the limits of civility and most people wont take it.  These groups are not scared of the cops, cause the cops are scared to get in trouble.  Walk onto a private citizens property and you are going to get lit up.  

Protest all you want, but don't expect a free pass to ruin someones personal property without them defending it.  

44 minutes ago, Jules said:

Attorneys Mark and Patricia McCloskey protect their castle against the evil BLM protesters.  Why are white people so paranoid and hysterical?

Now beamed into loungerooms around the world. Might as well pumps 4 rounds into their own feet.

WTF

What are they gonna do when Donnie loses, start pulling the trigger?

Quick honey, we need sandbags and artillery...............

10 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

A Question.

Do you have a national "Sorry" day or "national day of healing/reconciliation" in the USA?

Either for indigenous Americans or Black Americans?

We have a lot of those, from National/Federal to state ...

1. Martin Luther King Day
  2. Holocaust Memorial Day
  3. World Religion Day
  4. Black History Month
  5. National Freedom Day
  6. Susan B. Anthony Day
  7. Women's Day
  8. Social Justice Day
  9. Cesar Chavez Day
  10. National Women's History Month
  11. Genocide Awareness Month
  12. Day of Silence
  13. Yom Hashoah
  14. Press Freedom Day
  15. Cinco De Mayo
  16. Memorial Day
  17. Cultural Diversity Day
  18. Jewish American Heritage Month
  19. Asian Pacific Heritage Month
  20. LGBTQ+ Pride Month
  21. Race Unity Day
  22. Anniversay of Legalization of Same Sex Marriage in the USA
  23. Refugee Day
  24. Americans with Disabilities Act Day
  25. Day of World's Indigenous Peoples
  26. Day of Remembrance of the Salve Trade and Abolition
  27. Women's Equality Day
  28. Senior Citizen Day
  29. Day of Charity
  30. Neighbor Day (that's mine, btw, remember it, 3/11)
  31. Labor Day
  32. Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
  33. National Hispanic Heritage Month
  34. Bi- Visibility Day
  35. Day of Charity
  36. National Disability Employment Awareness Month
  37. Day of Non-Violence
  38. Coming Out Day
  39. Indigenous People's - Native American Day
  40. Day for the Eradication of Poverty
  41. National American Indian Heritage Month
  42. Transgender Day of Remembrance
  43. Day for Tolerance
  44. Thanksgiving Day
  45. International Day of Person's with Disabilities
  46. AIDS Day
  47. Human Rights Day
  48. Bill of Rights Day
  49. Wounded Knee Day

They encompass a lot of cultures and heritages, but do you notice one glaring omission in all of that? One monstrous, glaring omission? One omission so freaking enormous that its absence is a national disgrace?

6 hours ago, Jules said:

Why? What kind of egotistical asshats live in a house like that and then stand in front with guns? It looks like The Beverly Hillbillies house as inhabited by someone who doesn't get the joke.

He and his wife could have come outside, offered sodas and snacks to the marchers, supported them, but Mark and Patricia are obviously a couple of paranoid delusionals who won the lotto.

Patricia and Mark hold their guns in a way that says "please, someone shoot us, this pretending is hard work."

11 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Why? What kind of egotistical asshats live in a house like that and then stand in front with guns? It looks like The Beverly Hillbillies house as inhabited by someone who doesn't get the joke.

He and his wife could have come outside, offered sodas and snacks to the marchers, supported them, but Mark and Patricia are obviously a couple of paranoid delusionals who won the lotto.

Patricia and Mark hold their guns in a way that says "please, someone shoot us, this pretending is hard work."

They're both lucky he didn't shoot her, or either of them shoot themselves.

Anyway, they should be a little more paranoid now than they were before, because now the people who do crimes know where to go to steal some guns

- DSK

• Like 1

They're really lucky.  Aside from the lack of muzzle discipline, by either of them  -  her trigger discipline is non existent.  She had her finger halfway through the fucking trigger guard the whole time, as she muzzle-swept the crowd...

Irony: it seems one of his clients is a police brutality victim, cop kicked him when he was down & cuffed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jules said:

Attorneys Mark and Patricia McCloskey protect their castle against the evil BLM protesters.  Why are white people so paranoid and hysterical

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Mark+McCloskey+

Money to Candidates MCCLOSKEY, MARK
ST LOUIS, MO 63108
MCCLOSKEY PC 10-27-2016 $400 Trump, Donald (R)
ST LOUIS, MO 63108
MCCLOSKEY PC 10-23-2016 $400 Trump, Donald (R)
ST LOUIS, MO 63108
MCCLOSKEY PC 10-13-2016 $400 Trump, Donald (R)
ST LOUIS, MO 63108
MCCLOSKEY PC 10-13-2016 $400 Trump, Donald (R)
ST LOUIS, MO 63108
MCCLOSKEY PC 10-01-2016 $400 Trump, Donald (R)

One guess.

A Harris County prosecutor who shared a social media post that appeared to compare protesters to Nazis has resigned, the district attorney's office told ABC13.

Last week, Kaylynn Williford, who works for Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, shared a black and white photograph of wedding rings and the words, "Wedding bands that were removed from Holocaust victims prior to being executed, 1945. Each ring represents a destroyed family. Never forget, Nazis tore down statues. Banned free speech. Blamed economic hardships on one group of people. Instituted gun control. Sound Familiar?"

6281466_062920-WILL-SOCIAL-POST.jpg

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

They encompass a lot of cultures and heritages, but do you notice one glaring omission in all of that? One monstrous, glaring omission? One omission so freaking enormous that its absence is a national disgrace?

I spotted it right away. 

There's no Donald J. Trump Appreciation Day. 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 6:38 PM, Steam Flyer said:
On 6/27/2020 at 11:44 AM, mikewof said:

Nailed it.

Politicians aren't any kind of panacea. They're our low-level employees, empowered to do what we tell them, and that's limited to a political arena, which is can be powerful, but is more often impotent.

There are millions of protesters doing more than talk ... they're walking, screaming, getting gassed, they're voting, writing, waving signs, talking to television cameras, streaming videos, hanging juries, voting indictments on grand juries.

This is how things change. The USA is as vibrant with action as we've ever been. Change keeps coming.

This is the one that matters. If they had made a habit out of voting earlier, things would not be where they are to have all the protests 'n shit

- DSK

I'm not sure I completely agree.  It all comes down to the quality of the candidates.  And we've had total and complete shit for almost as long as I can remember - especially congress.  So just voting accomplishes nothing unless those voters also demand accountability and are willing to punish the politician when it doesn't happen and demand that they work for the We the People and not the corporate cronies and banks.  I have not seen that happen on any sort of broad scale since..... like...... never. 

So yeah, vote all you want, but nothing is changing unless the candidates themselves change.  And as long as we keep rewarding politicians for being greedy scumbags, don't expect your vote to make one scintilla of difference. 

Sorry for the pessimism, but I just don't think voting on it's own for the sake of voting does fuck all.  If you can't be bothered to actually to take the time and effort to understand the issues and the candidates like @shaggy, who advocates simply voting for the letter after the name - then we will remain on our long slow slide to the bottom.  

Advanced issues found

Just now, Burning Man said:

I'm not sure I completely agree.  It all comes down to the quality of the candidates.  And we've had total and complete shit for almost as long as I can remember - especially congress.  So just voting accomplishes nothing unless those voters also demand accountability and are willing to punish the politician when it doesn't happen and demand that they work for the We the People and not the corporate cronies and banks.  I have not seen that happen on any sort of broad scale since..... like...... never. 

So yeah, vote all you want, but nothing is changing unless the candidates themselves change.  And as long as we keep rewarding politicians for being greedy scumbags, don't expect your vote to make one scintilla of difference. 

Sorry for the pessimism, but I just don't think voting on it's own for the sake of voting does fuck all.  If you can't be bothered to actually to take the time and effort to understand the issues and the candidates like @shaggy, who advocates simply voting for the letter after the name - then we will remain on our long slow slide to the bottom.  

So, run for congress then.

37 minutes ago, Jules said:
2 hours ago, mikewof said:

I spotted it right away. 

There's no Donald J. Trump Appreciation Day. 

And there never will be, inshallah

- DSK

On 6/27/2020 at 6:58 PM, frenchie said:

The idea behind intervening aimed at younger folks, is: they're future parents. 

Someone with a college degree is (a) less likely to have a kid out of wedlock and (b) more likely to be a good parent.

I'm fine with that.  I never said it had to be an "either/or" proposition.  But focusing on the HS and college age kid while doing almost nothing for the beginning of the spectrum is like trying to prevent beach erosion by moving a grain of sand at a time using a tweezer.  

On 6/27/2020 at 9:47 PM, frenchie said:

"if voting could change the system, it would be illegal"

- graffitti, montreal, circa mid-80's.

Sadly true.

17 hours ago, frenchie said:

Them AND the DA. 

It's not just "poorly trained" police that are the problem  -  it's also the DAs who allow (hell, support) the results of that "poor training".

Go on twitter, do a search for #copslie.  Yesterday, public defenders started using that hashtag for their stories of cops lying in courtrooms. 

Patterns emerge:

• Even when they prove a cop's lying, there's no guarantee the DA drops the charges;  
  • there's no guarantee the DA won't put that cop on the stand in the future;  
  • but it's pretty much guaranteed the DA won't prosecute the lying cop for perjury, and
  • it's absolutely guaranteed they won't mention, next time they put that cop on the stand, that the cop's a proven liar.

Seriously, browse the stories for an hour.  It's a wake-up.

You're thinking way too shallow, IMO.  I think you were much more correct, 9 hours earlier: this isn't a problem that can be fixed by reform or improvements to training. 

The whole system needs a radical re-design.  Structural, gut, renovation: not a coat of paint.

I don't want anyone to have to live with "better trained" enforcers of a system designed to oppress.  I want that system replaced one designed to create actual justice.

Ending the War on Drugs would be a good start.  Most of the fucked LE infrastructure that's in place is a direct result of that horribly failed policy.

7 minutes ago, Burning Man said:
On 6/27/2020 at 9:38 PM, Steam Flyer said:

.....   This is the one that matters. If they had made a habit out of voting earlier, things would not be where they are to have all the protests 'n shit

Ah, sorry... I thought it was kind of assumed that urging people to vote for the range of offices, local and national, sort of included informing oneself about the candidates and their most likely courses.

I apologize for causing you discontent and confusion.

- DSK

10 minutes ago, Burning Man said:
  On 6/27/2020 at 9:47 PM, frenchie said:

"if voting could change the system, it would be illegal"

- graffitti, montreal, circa mid-80's.

Sadly true.

You mean like Brexit?  Or the 19th Amendment?  

Just because somebody spray paints something, doesn't make it true.

26 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Ah, sorry... I thought it was kind of assumed that urging people to vote for the range of offices, local and national, sort of included informing oneself about the candidates and their most likely courses.

I apologize for causing you discontent and confusion.

- DSK

You would think so, but the stark reality is that we are FAR FAR from being able to make that ASSumption.  And there is nothing that tells me that is changing anytime soon.

Sorry for your confusion.

20 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Agreed.  But in this case, it is not far off being an empirical fact.  

Voting is simple, really.

any R is pretty much a “nope” as while they are not necessarily white supremacist fascists, they are ok with white supremacy and fascism.

from there a quick read of party platforms can help you.

what takes me awhile is all of the ballot measures. I find that looking at who paid for/endorsed it is a reliable indicator of its a POS or worth voting yes for. 

8 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Voting is simple, really.

any R is pretty much a “nope” as while they are not necessarily white supremacist fascists, they are ok with white supremacy and fascism.

from there a quick read of party platforms can help you.

what takes me awhile is all of the ballot measures. I find that looking at who paid for/endorsed it is a reliable indicator of its a POS or worth voting yes for. 

I'll put you down in the "votes only for the letter sheeple" column along with shags.  Lazy cunt.  

16 minutes ago, Burning Man said:
38 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Agreed.  But in this case, it is not far off being an empirical fact.  

Disagree

For example, unhappiness with the police could in many many cases have been forestalled by voting for mayor, county commissioner(s), superintendant, and/or sheriff (after taking the effort to be informed about the candidates, of course).

- DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Disagree

For example, unhappiness with the police could in many many cases have been forestalled by voting for mayor, county commissioner(s), superintendant, and/or sheriff (after taking the effort to be informed about the candidates, of course).

- DSK

Or you could be like r'zr here and just save all that time and effort and vote for the letter.  Good to go, no thought needed or desired.

12 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Or you could be like r'zr here and just save all that time and effort and vote for the letter.  Good to go, no thought needed or desired.

Well, looking at what the letter "R" behind the name has stood for over the past 20+ years, it's a good starting point.

If you want less rights, less legal protection for workers, more pollution, less honesty in gov't, higher debt with the majority of public benefit going to the 1%, then you should vote for the "R." If you do not want those things, vote for somebody who does not have an (R) after their name.

That's actually quite a well-informed voting decision.

- DSK

3 hours ago, mikewof said:

We have a lot of those, from National/Federal to state ...

1. Martin Luther King Day
  2. Holocaust Memorial Day
  3. World Religion Day
  4. Black History Month
  5. National Freedom Day
  6. Susan B. Anthony Day
  7. Women's Day
  8. Social Justice Day
  9. Cesar Chavez Day
  10. National Women's History Month
  11. Genocide Awareness Month
  12. Day of Silence
  13. Yom Hashoah
  14. Press Freedom Day
  15. Cinco De Mayo
  16. Memorial Day
  17. Cultural Diversity Day
  18. Jewish American Heritage Month
  19. Asian Pacific Heritage Month
  20. LGBTQ+ Pride Month
  21. Race Unity Day
  22. Anniversay of Legalization of Same Sex Marriage in the USA
  23. Refugee Day
  24. Americans with Disabilities Act Day
  25. Day of World's Indigenous Peoples
  26. Day of Remembrance of the Salve Trade and Abolition
  27. Women's Equality Day
  28. Senior Citizen Day
  29. Day of Charity
  30. Neighbor Day (that's mine, btw, remember it, 3/11)
  31. Labor Day
  32. Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
  33. National Hispanic Heritage Month
  34. Bi- Visibility Day
  35. Day of Charity
  36. National Disability Employment Awareness Month
  37. Day of Non-Violence
  38. Coming Out Day
  39. Indigenous People's - Native American Day
  40. Day for the Eradication of Poverty
  41. National American Indian Heritage Month
  42. Transgender Day of Remembrance
  43. Day for Tolerance
  44. Thanksgiving Day
  45. International Day of Person's with Disabilities
  46. AIDS Day
  47. Human Rights Day
  48. Bill of Rights Day
  49. Wounded Knee Day

A national apology to the descendants of those enslaved? A national apology to all who's ancestors were stolen and sold?

38 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Imagine! (asshole)

40 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I'll put you down in the "votes only for the letter sheeple" column along with shags.  Lazy cunt.  

Such bullshit.

Oh, sorry, that's right, you think GOPers in the modern incarnation are still "good people"

35 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

A national apology to the descendants of those enslaved? A national apology to all who's ancestors were stolen and sold?

Already done.

17 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Such bullshit.

Oh, sorry, that's right, you think GOPers in the modern incarnation are still "good people"

No, as a whole - they are utter shit, especially at the national level.  Hence why I started the BTBD theme.  But I refuse to believe that there are not some individuals out there, especially at a state and local level who are all bad and should be tarred with your broad R = Bad brush.  Just like I have no issue voting for a Dem if their policies marry up to my views better than the R.  

57 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Nope, we have several days of recognition for that.

But we don't have a day honoring our country's many.Muslims who have given their lives in service to the USA.

To be fair, we don't riot against them like Cronulla or lock them up on Nauru and Manus, the way you Aussies do. But we have a horrible history with our War on Terror where we victimized many innocent Muslims, and we need some recognition of how we fucked up with that.

25 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Already done.

when? where? by whom? to who? I'm just curious. Can you link some information

25 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

No, as a whole - they are utter shit, especially at the national level.  Hence why I started the BTBD theme.  But I refuse to believe that there are not some individuals out there, especially at a state and local level who are all bad and should be tarred with your broad R = Bad brush.  Just like I have no issue voting for a Dem if their policies marry up to my views better than the R.  

As a long-time lefty, I can affirm that as a rule, lefties are just as intolerant -- albeit in different ways -- than the righties.

Righties tend to think all lefty thought is bad, lefties tend to think all righty stuff is bad. In a way, we're all just slight variations of the same banana split.

For instance now, the idea of lefties protecting our nation's history, warts and all, that doesn't fly. And good luck trying to convince a righty that Black lives matter more than "all lives" because it's Black lives that are being snuffed out by a fundamentally racist collection of institutions.

Neither lefties nor righties tend to put forth the effort to understand nuance. Life is a giant version of Poltical Anarchy, us against them. Better get used to it, JBSF.

14 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Nope, we have several days of recognition for that.

Cite?

But we don't have a day honoring our country's many.Muslims who have given their lives in service to the USA.

That's worse than slavery and stealing and selling their children?

I'm talking about a national apology, given by the President on behalf of the various governments of the USA

like this

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Ending the War on Drugs would be a good start.  Most of the fucked LE infrastructure that's in place is a direct result of that horribly failed policy.

Why do we have a War on Drugs?

When we end it, what will we use to replace it?

18 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

That's worse than slavery and stealing and selling their children?

I'm talking about a national apology, given by the President on behalf of the various governments of the USA

like this

Australia: We apologize for an the fucked up shit that we did to you Native Peoples.

Native Peoples: Awesome! We're just going to take back some of our more valuable stuff then, not that we don't appreciate the rock, but we're thinking coasts.

Australia: Deepest apologies, but we have a phone call we have to take. Jim Saleam, would you mind taking over for a bit?

15 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Australia: We apologize for all the fucked up shit that we did to you Native Peoples.

It's a start on the long road to reconciliation.

Canada had done the same.

I'm simply pointing out that before the USA can even begin to heal the Black/white divide, a national Apology from all governments, local, State and federal has to be made. On the same day with the same wording. By the President.

The Federal Government does this on all governments behalf.

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

I only vote for ones in my district. Given trends in Republican policy, I have tended to vote for fewer and fewer, last few cycles I have only voted for ones personally known to me. There may be plenty of non-Trumpublican Republicans in Iowa or Wyoming or somewhere, but I don't cast votes for/against them. Only the ones in my states and county.

Of the last two decent ones that I would vote for, one died and one retired.

- DSK

I can find this draft resolution.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93059465

On Tuesday, the U.S. House of Representatives issued an unprecedented apology to black Americans for the institution of slavery, and the subsequent Jim Crow laws that for years discriminated against blacks as second-class citizens in American society.

Rep. Steve Cohen, a Democrat from Tennessee, drafted the resolution. Cohen explains the apology's long journey for Congressional approval and the significance of its timing.

Transcript: Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) Introduces U.S. Apology for Slavery, Jim Crow

July 29, 2008

Thank you, Mr. Speaker, and Mr. Chairman. It is with pride that I introduce this resolution with 120 co-sponsors from both sides of the aisle. It is with pride that I serve as a member of this institution, in this building that was built with slave labor, and for which the new Visitors Gallery will be known as Emancipation Hall. It was a gentleman from this side of the aisle, the party of Lincoln, Representative Zach Wamp from my state, and this side of the aisle, Representative Jesse Jackson Jr., who eloquently spoke to a subcommittee of which I'm a member, urging the remembrance and recognition of the work of the slaves who helped construct this magnificent capitol building and have the entryway named Emancipation Hall.

This country had an institution of slavery for 246 years and followed it with Jim Crow laws that denied people equal opportunity under the law. There was segregation in the south and other places in this country, at least through the year 1965 when civil rights laws were passed. There were separate water fountains for people, marked white and colored, there were restaurants, there were separate hotels, there were job opportunities that were not available to African-Americans. There were theaters that were segregated.

It's hard to imagine, in 2008, that such a society existed and was sanctioned by law, that the laws of the nation provided for segregation and enforced slave fugitive slave laws. In fact, the history of slavery goes not just through the Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments to our constitution, but as so eloquently written, just yesterday, in "The Baltimore Sun" in an editorial by Mr. Leonard Pitts Jr., that slavery existed up until about World War II, but it was a form of slavery where people were bought and sold for debts, it was slavery by another name. In a book called Slavery By Another Name by Douglass Blackman, a correspondent for the Wall Street Journal, when he talked about a convict leasing system in the south where in poor black men were routinely snatched up and tried on false petty or nonexistent charges by compliant courts, assessed some fine they could not afford, and then put into the servitude of an individual who bought them. This system continued up until World War II.

The fact is, slavery and Jim Crow are stains upon what is the greatest nation on the face of the earth and the greatest government ever conceived by man. But when we conceived this government and said all men were created equal we didn't in fact make all men equal, nor did we make women equal. We have worked to form a more perfect union, and part of forming a more perfect union is laws, and part of it is such as resolutions like we have before us today where we face up to our mistakes and we apologize, as anyone should apologize for things that were done in the past that were wrong. And we begin a dialogue that will hopefully lead us to a better understanding of where we are in America today and why certain conditions exist.

In 1997, President Clinton talked to the nation about the problem this country had with race. And he wanted a national dialogue. He considered an apology for slavery. I happened to run into President Clinton at that time, at the Amtrak station here in Washington and discussed with him having an apology for Jim Crow as well as slavery. I encompassed that in a letter dated July 2, 1997 that as a state Senator in Tennessee I wrote to President Clinton. In that letter, I urged him to have a slavery apology and a Jim Crow apology and to mark it on the 30th Anniversary of the Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, and that event tragically took place in April of 1968 in my city and that the appropriate time for President Clinton to have that apology would be on that 30th anniversary.

In going through my papers as I was elected to congress, I found this letter and I thought about it and I said to myself, you're a member of congress, you don't need to wait on a response from the President of the United States, which my friend, the president's office, failed to make a response. I can take action myself. So I introduced the resolution in February of 2007 with 120 sponsors joining me as time went on. It is important on this day that we admit our error, that we apologize. I've been in this body and voted with the rest of the body on unanimous voice vote to encourage, this past year, the Japanese Government to apologize for its use of Chinese women as "comfort women" during the war. And not a voice was raised questioning that resolution which passed unanimously on us calling on a foreign country to apologize for its use of "comfort women." Twenty years ago this congress passed a bill apologizing for the internment of Japanese citizens during World War II. In fact, subsequent to the consideration of this resolution, the distinguished lady from California, Ms. Matsui, has a resolution recognizing and celebrating the 20th anniversary of the passage of that bill.

This Congress did the right thing in apologizing for the imprisonment of Japanese-Americans during World War II and in encouraging the Japanese Government to apologize for the use of "comfort women." But the fact that this government has not apologized to its own citizens, African-Americans, for the institution of slavery and for the Jim Crow laws that followed and accepted that fact and encouraged changes in our dialogue and understanding in the actions of this country to rectify that is certainly a mistake. And today we rectify that mistake. This is a symbolic resolution but hopefully it will begin a dialogue where people will open their hearts and their minds to the problems that face this country, from racism that exists in this country on both sides and which must end if we're to go forward as the country that we were created to be and which we are destined to be. So it is with great honor that I speak on this resolution and urge the members of this body to pass this historic resolution, recognize our errors, but also recognize the greatness of this country, because only a great country can recognize and admit its mistakes and then travel forth to create indeed a more perfect union that works to bring people of all races, religions and creeds together in unity as Americans part of the United States of America. Mr. Speaker, I thank you for the time and I urge my colleagues to vote unanimously to pass this resolution today. Thank you.

but I can't find any reference that the resolution was ratified by congress or any speech by the President televised 

I

Sorry, if you’re still an R voter, you may not be a racist, but you’ve got no problem with racism. (Sexism, homophobia, etc)

I’ve got no time for that.

41 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I only vote for ones in my district. Given trends in Republican policy, I have tended to vote for fewer and fewer, last few cycles I have only voted for ones personally known to me. There may be plenty of non-Trumpublican Republicans in Iowa or Wyoming or somewhere, but I don't cast votes for/against them. Only the ones in my states and county.

Of the last two decent ones that I would vote for, one died and one retired.

- DSK

I wouldn’t care if they were the reincarnation of Dave Durenburger. If they sign on as a Republican, no vote from me.

But I refuse to believe that there are not some individuals out there, especially at a state and local level who are all bad

oh there’s some decent politicians at that level but they are utterly ignored and ostracized by the National Party and it’s voters. until the voters change nothing will. And you voters seem to always double down on the stupid, because it’s who you are.

And? I posted that.

I can't see where that was ratified by congress or made public it was but a non binding resolution passed by the house.

The House on Tuesday evening passed a resolution apologizing for slavery and Jim Crow laws.

corner_wire_BL.gif

The nonbinding resolution, which passed on a voice vote, was introduced by Rep. Steve Cohen, a white lawmaker who represents a majority black district in Memphis, Tennessee.

While many states have apologized for slavery, it is the first time a branch of the federal government has done so, an aide to Cohen said.

In passing the resolution, the House also acknowledged the "injustice, cruelty, brutality and inhumanity of slavery and Jim Crow."

"Jim Crow," or Jim Crow laws, were state and local laws enacted mostly in the Southern and border states of the United States between the 1870s and 1965, when African-Americans were denied the right to vote and other civil liberties and were legally segregated from whites.

The name "Jim Crow" came from a character played by T.D. "Daddy" Rice who portrayed a slave while in blackface during the mid-1800s.

The resolution states that "the vestiges of Jim Crow continue to this day."

"African-Americans continue to suffer from the consequences of slavery and Jim Crow -- long after both systems were formally abolished -- through enormous damage and loss, both tangible and intangible, including the loss of human dignity and liberty, the frustration of careers and professional lives, and the long-term loss of income and opportunity," the resolution states.

What I'm searching for is a joint resolution apologising for the damage done by various acts of enslavement and Jim Crow.

something like this

One hundred years after the seizure,Congress issued a joint resolution formally apologizing to the people of Hawaii for the U.S. government’s role in the coup on November 23, 1993, as the New York Times records.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STATUTE-107/pdf/STATUTE-107-Pg1510.pdf

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Why do we have a War on Drugs?

When we end it, what will we use to replace it?

War on Gunz.  And it will end just as badly.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

What I'm searching for is a joint resolution apologising for the damage done by various acts of enslavement and Jim Crow.

something like this

One hundred years after the seizure,Congress issued a joint resolution formally apologizing to the people of Hawaii for the U.S. government’s role in the coup on November 23, 1993, as the New York Times records.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STATUTE-107/pdf/STATUTE-107-Pg1510.pdf

I honestly don't know why it hasn't happened yet.  Why didn't Obama do it?  Why didn't the House and Senate do it in 2010 when they held majorities in both chambers?  

It's long overdue, frankly.  Maybe Joe will get around to it finally.

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

oh there’s some decent politicians at that level but they are utterly ignored and ostracized by the National Party and it’s voters. until the voters change nothing will

Would you vote for them?  

I honestly don't know why it hasn't happened yet.  Why didn't Obama do it?  Why didn't the House and Senate do it in 2010 when they held majorities in both chambers?  

It's long overdue, frankly.  Maybe Joe will get around to it finally.

Well I suppose you need the numbers in both houses and agreement from the States to make it meaningful.

That would have been impossible under Obama.

I'm simply making a point that without a heartfelt apology first there will be no meaningful healing or change.

People here got all indignant about apologising for something they had no hand in until it was explained that the apology was from the governments and the nation as a whole rather than an individual mea culpa .

People claimed that it would give rise to monetary claims for reparation.(our "stolen generations" were still living, as were Canada's) It didn't though some reparations were put in place by other means.

It's simply the first necessary step on a long road.

War on Gunz.  And it will end just as badly.

No. There will be no war on guns. Because the people with guns have power.

The next war -- and it's already started -- is on the people who have no power. Immigrants.

You want to be aware of Social Justice, this new JBSF. You can't think like some dittohead, you need to think like a Social Justice Warrior. The War on drugs was built in the 1950s to enslave more Black people. And now Black people have political power, so the war has to shift. It will shift to the Mexican immigrants. Because the slavery machine needs people to enslave. And the new slaves will be immigrants.

TELEMMGLPICT000166717250_trans++RLU6RByD

Welcome to the future JBSF. It ain't gunz.

Australia was just the test market. Manus Island, Nauru, was just the focus group for what they want to do here.

5a163cd63dbef482008b7de9?width=1100&form

Now, which one of those photos is Australia's slavery, and which one is America's slavery? Can't tell too easily, can you?

Seriously JBSF? War on Guns? Do you actually believe that you're part of some kind of oppressed class? Get a fucking clue. You aren't.

41 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Well I suppose you need the numbers in both houses and agreement from the States to make it meaningful.

That would have been impossible under Obama.

I'm simply making a point that without a heartfelt apology first there will be no meaningful healing or change.

People here got all indignant about apologising for something they had no hand in until it was explained that the apology was from the governments and the nation as a whole rather than an individual mea culpa .

People claimed that it would give rise to monetary claims for reparation.(our "stolen generations" were still living, as were Canada's) It didn't though some reparations were put in place by other means.

It's simply the first necessary step on a long road.

No Hand?

Spoken from the lady who got a free million dollar townhouse built on land which covered the bones that her ancestors genocided.

Great, some dumb-assed politician apologized. Wonderful. Why didn't you apologize?

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

It's a start on the long road to reconciliation.

Canada had done the same.

I'm simply pointing out that before the USA can even begin to heal the Black/white divide, a national Apology from all governments, local, State and federal has to be made. On the same day with the same wording. By the President.

The Federal Government does this on all governments behalf.

Lady, you apparently have no clue about life in the USA, regardless you apparently delusion to your expertise.

What the fuck difference does some elected asshole apologizing on television make if the people don't give a rat's ass about their plunder? We don't apologize through our politicians in the USA, because anyone who is sufficiently self-aware (i.e. probably less than 5% of our population) to know that they are in the fact the source of the problem has already apologized fifty times in fifty parking lots with fifty Four-Lokos.

So you think you are absolved of your own genocide, of your own theft because some nerd politician apologized for you? That's not the way it works. If you don't personally find a way to apologize in a meaningful way, then your good intentions are just a festering cloud of Mambo fart.

.4a76dcf2-e811-472d-aa98-472bd142576d-797

11 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I'm fine with that.  I never said it had to be an "either/or" proposition.  But focusing on the HS and college age kid while doing almost nothing for the beginning of the spectrum is like trying to prevent beach erosion by moving a grain of sand at a time using a tweezer.  

You said we were starting too late. 

I'm having trouble conceptualizing how to start earlier than "nefore you were a twinkle in your father's eye"... 

11 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Nah, it's deeper than that.  We forgot (or misunderstood?) all those warnings that the founders left us, about Standing Armies.  Once you let yourself have one of those, they find shit to do.

Witness the current attempt to expand the WoT to include a mythical organization ("antifa"). 

10 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Took me a long time to get through my fucking head, but you have to pick a letter, in order to cast the sort of vote (in the primaries) that can actually change what kind of candidates we get in the general. 

(I'm aware this is not true in all States; but it is, here, and in about half the States)

linc.jpg

Soros.png

15 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Never advocated for it.  Just said it happens, stop putting words in my mouth...  

8 hours ago, mikewof said:

Seriously JBSF? War on Guns? Do you actually believe that you're part of some kind of oppressed class? Get a fucking clue. You aren't.

Lighten up, francine.  It was a joke.

5 hours ago, frenchie said:
16 hours ago, Burning Man said:

'm fine with that.  I never said it had to be an "either/or" proposition.  But focusing on the HS and college age kid while doing almost nothing for the beginning of the spectrum is like trying to prevent beach erosion by moving a grain of sand at a time using a tweezer.  

You said we were starting too late. 

I'm having trouble conceptualizing how to start earlier than "nefore you were a twinkle in your father's eye"... 

We are currently starting too late because the focus is on getting blacks into college while pretty much completely ignoring working with parents and pregnant mothers and early childhood development.  I would like to shift the focus to prenatal care and parental education to teach them the importance of nutrition, reading, etc.  Head Start programs attempt to do that, but they only deal with the kid and very rarely with the parent.  It has to start at the parent.

26 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

We are currently starting too late because the focus is on getting blacks into college while pretty much completely ignoring working with parents and pregnant mothers and early childhood development.  I would like to shift the focus to prenatal care and parental education to teach them the importance of nutrition, reading, etc.  Head Start programs attempt to do that, but they only deal with the kid and very rarely with the parent.  It has to start at the parent.

Bull shit

There are a lot of programs giving assistance to families, for just one example refurbing and supplying laptops to low-income households, etc etc

You don't know what the fuck is going on, you just wanna bitch about how your little white butt-buddies are getting screwed. And your chosen politicians have worked to slash the kind of programs you say you're in support of.... "yeah like Head Start, BUT..."

And then you whine that we call you a racist fuck-head. Because you make it very obvious you are one.

- DSK

15 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Bull shit

There are a lot of programs giving assistance to families, for just one example refurbing and supplying laptops to low-income households, etc etc

You don't know what the fuck is going on, you just wanna bitch about how your little white butt-buddies are getting screwed. And your chosen politicians have worked to slash the kind of programs you say you're in support of.... "yeah like Head Start, BUT..."

And then you whine that we call you a racist fuck-head. Because you make it very obvious you are one.

- DSK

Stop projecting your BS.  WTF do laptops have to do with helping teach a parent the importance of reading to their child, good nutrition, etc.  Just handing them a laptop and telling them to google how to raise a child is ludicrous.  

What programs are out there that specifically address teaching parents how to be better parents?  If there is one, I'm not aware of it.  And I doubt it exists because it would be too much of a political football.  Imagine telling low income POC that they suck as parents and that they need help.  But the fact is they do need help.  Just like poor white parents out in the styx suck as parents too.  In fact, judging by the kids I see these days - most middle class white and black parents suck at it.  

I would make parenting classes mandatory for all low income folks receiving assistance - white or black.  And that includes maybe making a decision not NOT have more kids.  

But yes, I'm sure in your mind that is a racist policy proposal.  shrug.

8 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Stop projecting your BS.  WTF do laptops have to do with helping teach a parent the importance of reading to their child, good nutrition, etc.  Just handing them a laptop and telling them to google how to raise a child is ludicrous.  

What programs are out there that specifically address teaching parents how to be better parents?  If there is one, I'm not aware of it.  And I doubt it exists because it would be too much of a political football.  Imagine telling low income POC that they suck as parents and that they need help.  But the fact is they do need help.  Just like poor white parents out in the styx suck as parents too.  In fact, judging by the kids I see these days - most middle class white and black parents suck at it.  

I would make parenting classes mandatory for all low income folks receiving assistance - white or black.  And that includes maybe making a decision not NOT have more kids.  

You're not aware, period.

You want to burn existing programs down, with the vague idea of something better in the future. You want to make your narrow ideas mandatory, and then accuse me of projecting.

You're just a toddler having a meltdown. Some day perhaps you'll realize how wrong you've been, but I doubt it. Burn the house down, bitch

- DSK

36 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You're not aware, period.

You want to burn existing programs down, with the vague idea of something better in the future. You want to make your narrow ideas mandatory, and then accuse me of projecting.

You're just a toddler having a meltdown. Some day perhaps you'll realize how wrong you've been, but I doubt it. Burn the house down, bitch

- DSK

Talk about a toddler having a meltdown.....^^  Where did I say anything about stopping existing programs?  Short answer is I have never said that.  I simply said either refocus our effort or add additional programs.  

Bitch.

13 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Talk about a toddler having a meltdown.....^^  Where did I say anything about stopping existing programs?  Short answer is I have never said that.  I simply said either refocus our effort or add additional programs.  

Bitch. 

Oh good, your generic complaints about programs you don't know about, doing stuff you disagree with, is not the right-wing racist asscarrot equivalent of DEFUND THE POLICE

I apologize for the mistake

- DSK

antblm.jpg

28 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

antblm.jpg

Yeah. And?

Why would a global superpower be concerned about a bunch of civil rights protestors?

Yes, make it mandatory for low income parents. Cause wealthy parents only raise, successful, well adjusted spawn.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Yeah. And?

Why would a global superpower be concerned about a bunch of civil rights protestors?

They are One World Order subversives...both tools in the Marxist overthrow 

5 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

They are One World Order subversives...both tools in the Marxist overthrow 

Subversives are good. We need them. They help maintain the vibrancy of our freedoms.

As for the Marxists, even China has gone full-throttle American, and now they're beating us in the Economic War. We have a lot more to worry about at this point than a "Marxist overthrow." Right now, decay from within, corrosion of our own economy resulting from the impacts of our decisions and fears is a far greater than anything else.

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

JBSF, are you joking about this one again?

It's really a bad idea. Public assistance is due to economic considerations, not parenting ones.

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Yes, make it mandatory for low income parents. Cause wealthy parents only raise, successful, well adjusted spawn.

He’s a Republican, they are all about paternalistic big government for “the poor” aka them dirty minorities that “can’t take care of themselves”. He’s a social Darwinist, he’d fit right in at Tuol Sleng.

27 minutes ago, mikewof said:

JBSF, are you joking about this one again?

It's really a bad idea. Public assistance is due to economic considerations, not parenting ones.

No I'm not joking.  Why would making public assistance conditional on taking some parenting classes and getting the children some help to close that 2 year gap that @Cal20sailor talks about, a bad thing??  

• Like 1

No I'm not joking.  Why would making public assistance conditional on taking some parenting classes and getting the children some help to close that 2 year gap that @Cal20sailor talks about, a bad thing??  

then why not mandatory for the wealthy?

4 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Why not make the IRS standard deduction and any other subsidy for offspring conditional on taking some parenting classes then?  

5 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Do you have children?

The 2-year-gap that Cal20sailor describes is a result of poverty. What you describe is punitive, and thus little good will come of punitive actions against law-abiding citizens.

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

then why not mandatory for the wealthy?

Because the wealthy are not getting public assistance that we can use to make receiving the aid conditional.  Maybe the word "Mandatory" is incorrect.  Conditional on receiving taxpayer aid.  They can refuse to take the classes, but then they give up the aid.  So not mandatory per se.

Edit:  I suppose we could do the same with the rich in order to receive their tax loopholes.  I have no issue will all parents being required to attend child rearing classes.  It would help rich and poor alike to maybe not have so many kids grow up to be soulless douchebags..

On 6/27/2020 at 8:37 AM, Venom said:

That’s very generous of you, Jules. How much of your  monthly income are you willing to chip in?  

I'll donate 75% of my contribution to the war budget.  I think many others are willing to do so too.  100% of my contribution to money spent by the feds at little don's socialist playgrounds for the elite.

3 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Because the wealthy are not getting public assistance that we can use to make receiving the aid conditional.  Maybe the word "Mandatory" is incorrect.  Conditional on receiving taxpayer aid.  They can refuse to take the classes, but then they give up the aid.  So not mandatory per se.

Edit:  I suppose we could do the same with the rich in order to receive their tax loopholes.  I have no issue will all parents being required to attend child rearing classes.  It would help rich and poor alike to maybe not have so many kids grow up to be soulless douchebags..

Why not just take the kids away from them, put them in boarding schools where they can learn how to become productive citizens and forget their self-destructive thug culture?

- DSK

10 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

while we're at it, we could make corporate subsidies and tax breaks contingent on the executives getting a certificate in corporate responsibility, ethics, and governance.  40 hours should do it for each exec.  And let's do one for all legislators and executives in states who receive federal dollars. How about a class on Constitutional Law for those guys?  Mandatory, but only if you want the money.  Totally legal.  Also, any company who gets TIF financing or other tax incentives for locating a business in a specific city or state. They can take courses on community planning, business and environmental impact statements, transparency in government and corporations, and similar.  

You don't even need to do all this re-education in camps either.  Online works fine.

• Like 1

Oh, wait - anyone who gets a homestead exemption or home interest deduction should definitely have to pass a class in basic finance, personal accounting, will preparation, recordation, and liens/security interests.