Remodel

One month after opening, Covid 19 spiking

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

I don't know that it's an accomplishment but fewer deaths from Covid is good news is it not?

It most likely means that the medical establishment picked up the ball and ran with it. Better medicine is saving lives, but it looks like a temporary win though. Schools in Japan and in Europe have reopened,  in South Korea, baseball season is in full swing, in Iceland, restaurants are in full swing, and many parts of the world are seeing a financial recovery.

That isn't happening here because it is starting to look like we blew our response. Donald Trump downplays the virus every time he gets near a microphone, the White House forbids Dr. Fauci from talking to the press, the CDC cannot hold press conferences, and Americans are paying the price. Americans are refusing to wear masks and insist on socializing in proximity, We have seen the enemy, and it is us.

7 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

It most likely means that the medical establishment picked up the ball and ran with it. Better medicine is saving lives, but it looks like a temporary win though. Schools in Japan and in Europe have reopened,  in South Korea, baseball season is in full swing, in Iceland, restaurants are in full swing, and many parts of the world are seeing a financial recovery.

That isn't happening here because it is starting to look like we blew our response. Donald Trump downplays the virus every time he gets near a microphone, the White House forbids Dr. Fauci from talking to the press, the CDC cannot hold press conferences, and Americans are paying the price. Americans are refusing to wear masks and insist on socializing in proximity, We have seen the enemy, and it is us.

A lot of falsehood in the post

• Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

You make a claim, back it up.

47 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I’ll take “how many weeks does it take to get a bullshitter to switch from wanting to talk about case spikes in a thread about case spikes, to wanting to talk about body counts?” for $1,000, Alex. 

Three. Move those goalposts, bullshitters!

Which is more important?

38 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

But a falling death rate is a good thing right?

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Yes,  But the spike is starting to fill hospitals to capacity, so expect the death rate to rise in certain areas.

1 minute ago, Dog said:

It is far too early to tell if the CFR is dropping and if it is by how much. It is good news if/when it drops, however mistaking incubation time, the lag time between infection and death, and delays and/or inaccurate reporting of data for a drop in the CFR and therefor a reason to not be concerned about rising infection rates is dangerous. 

4 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Yes,  But the spike is starting to fill hospitals to capacity, so expect the death rate to rise in certain areas.

That's the nature of pandemics. Breakouts occur in a succession of places rising, peaking and then subsiding.

9 minutes ago, Dog said:

That's the nature of pandemics. Breakouts occur in a succession of places rising, peaking and then subsiding.

Yes, but we are looking like an outlier compared to the rest of the world.The rest of the world is returning to normal, we are not. In the first five days of July the U.S. saw 250,000 new cases. I would venture to say we are edging closer to serious trouble than a place of subsiding breakouts.

45 minutes ago, Dog said:

Only in America, Fuck Yeah!

33 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Yes, but we are looking like an outlier compared to the rest of the world.The rest of the world is returning to normal, we are not. In the first five days of July the U.S. saw 250,000 new cases. I would venture to say we are edging closer to serious trouble than a place of subsiding breakouts.

We are returning to normal too. At the peak we were recording 11 times the daily deaths we do today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

Not filling hospitals to capacity other than a few examples 

• Downvote 5

23 minutes ago, Dog said:

We are returning to normal too.

Nah, we - we’ll craven morons like you - are bullshitting through it and pretending we are back to normal. Which you’ve been doing for 4 months:lol:

14 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

State Representative Estimates for Percentage of ICU Beds Occupied (All Patients)

30 minutes ago, Dog said:

We are returning to normal too. At the peak we were recording 11 times the daily deaths we do today.

Do you live in Florida?  Where the death rate is now increasing?  And if so, how is that "returning to normal"?

20 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Are you in Florida?  Where 4 hospitals no longer have ICU beds available, and in general 86% of the ICU beds are full across the state?  Leaving just 14% open?

It's too bad we don't track how many people are affected by having to change hospitals to get an ICU bed.  Or have a longer ambulance ride.  I've gone through that.  Have you?

Just now, Grrr... said:

Do you live in Florida?  Where the death rate is now increasing?  And if so, how is that "returning to normal"?

The death rate is increasing but NO where close to how the new cases are increasing, this is an EXCELLENT fact.... the virus is here to stay and we are learning how to coexist with it. 

• Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Just the facts... not estimates 

Actually, you'll find that the page you linked to specifically says ESTIMATES.

image.png.58aae89070fa788171b454f579d37eee.png

WHOOSH.  Right over your head.

image.png.0e30cf3e7e38efb5e2534ee24e3463a2.png

Just now, BravoBravo said:

The death rate is increasing but NO where close to how the new cases are increasing, this is an EXCELLENT fact.... the virus is here to stay and we are learning how to coexist with it. 

Wait until hospitals are at capacity. That is the fear the hospitals had from the very beginning when they demanded more ventilators.

1 minute ago, BravoBravo said:

It is an excellent fact.  Especially if you knew that the death rate lags the hospitalization rate by 10 days or more.  And the number of new cases found is directly tied to how many tests are done (and how they are stratified).  So a strict measure of just 'new cases' should be divided by the number of tests performed to get a week over week comparison.

Don't worry.  We know this isn't your strong suit fruitcake.

14 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I was speaking of the national situation which is improving but that does not mean there are no hot spots remaining.

52 minutes ago, Dog said:

Today's Washington Post had an interesting article where both Trump and Biden campaigns are trying to focus on the pandemic for votes. 

Biden will focus on Trump failures.

Trump will blame China.

Meanwhile, White House officials also hope Americans will grow numb to the escalating death toll...

So what is an acceptable number for Americans to accept? 100,00 dead per day, 500,000 dead?

You know what's dead? Republican campaign strategy with a focus like this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-and-biden-campaigns-shift-focus-to-coronavirus-as-pandemic-surges/2020/07/06/53a4ec50-bd62-11ea-80b9-40ece9a701dc_story.html

Just now, Dog said:

I was speaking of the national situation which is improving but that does not mean there are no hot spots remaining.

The national situation is not improving. The economy is flat, children are not in school, 25 million Americans are out of a job, there is no vaccine, we can't even get Americans to socially separate, or wear masks. Hospitals are nearing capacity, and we can't even agree on what that means. It appears that we are very close to shutting down the economy again to save lives, but the White House will block that for election votes. America is one fucked up country.

6 minutes ago, Dog said:

:lol: Just a babbling fucking idiot like his boy Shitstain 

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

The national situation is not improving. The economy is flat, children are not in school, 25 million Americans are out of a job, there is no vaccine, we can't even get Americans to socially separate, or wear masks. Hospitals are nearing capacity, and we can't even agree on what that means. It appears that we are very close to shutting down the economy again to save lives, but the White House will block that for election votes. America is one fucked up country.

No...The national situation is definitely improving.

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Those are case we identified. We don't know the actual number of new cases.

Well, thanks for adding that.

From one guy coming in from China 

to

the virus is here it's a fact of life and we have to get used to it

In just a few months.  That's what I call bullshitters spinning it up! It's as if we have a Kayleigh MacenBullshitter repeater right here among us. 

How many states have declining case counts, bullshitters? (Now that we've gone over 3 million confirmed cases.)

Just now, Sol Rosenberg said:

How many states have declining case counts, bullshitters? 

Would that be more or less important than states with declining death rates?

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Ha ha, California our biggest economy has already ordered closures, we are taking care of handling the pandemic. Florida has said they will do the same.  32 states are reporting spikes in new cases. How long do you think it will be before they will take moves to secure their populations?

We went from fellow Americans, to a chess piece for election politics.  Today, Trump demands an apology from Bubba Wallace, hoping to build his own popularity stirring racial tension.

7 minutes ago, Dog said:

Would that be more or less important than states with declining death rates?

I see “deaths are the only thing that matter” is the new babbling point for the bullshitters. That’ll nip this covid thing.

Figured out how to read a graph yet fuckface? What a function is? Or are those permanent victims of your TrumpnesiA?

it was always the final ending point for their argument.

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Three million cases confirmed in the US by the end of the day, bullshitters. Maybe bullshit isn’t as effective at stopping a virus as it is in winding up dumbfucks. 

If only we had stuck to using the ebola thread instead of bullshit, we would all be at the beach right now.

2 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Like what?

18 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

I see “deaths are the only thing that matter” is the new babbling point for the bullshitters. That’ll nip this covid thing.

Figured out how to read a graph yet fuckface? What a function is? Or are those permanent victims of your TrumpnesiA?

Are they more or less important than cases?

30 minutes ago, Dog said:

I don't think so, not anymore.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Look at the US Map through to today.  I can't seem to snip the pic anymore, but if someone can post the pic - I'd be grateful.

20 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

it was always the final ending point for their argument.

Abstract it and treat it as a game. It’s their only play. 

Substitute Trump for Casey Jones and you can visualize a bunch of happy train riders.

20 minutes ago, Dog said:

Right, because the map is turning red?

3XTZCMKFMRGTLF5TI3X3HQKVQA.png

That's from all the MAGA hats, right?

- DSK

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Are they more or less important than cases?

Dog, I'm agreeing with Sol on this one.  You're moving the goalposts.  Yes, its good that deaths are (so far) not spiking with the # of cases.  But it's not a binary thing.  Everyone of those cases, or most, represent an infection.  And some % of those infections also means someone is sick and in the hospital.  Even young people are getting their asses kicked and are ending up on ventilators.  Many of those will have permanent damage as a result.  So simply focusing in deaths alone implies that the rest are all happy and safe.  You know that is not the case.  

The fact is that both the leadership has failed us on this and the individual selfish cunts out there with no personal responsibility or care for their fellow human being caused this latest outbreak.  I don't fault states for reopening, but it was done poorly and about in the worst possible way.  With some simple steps, we would be in a far better place now than we are.  We are seeing the consequences of those failed actions and missed opportunities. 

Bullshitting now that the only thing that matters is the body count is missing the big picture.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I don't think so, not anymore.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Look at the US Map through to today.  I can't seem to snip the pic anymore, but if someone can post the pic - I'd be grateful.

I can't read this as anything other than improvement.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-3-day-average

5 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Dog, I'm agreeing with Sol on this one.  You're moving the goalposts.  Yes, its good that deaths are (so far) not spiking with the # of cases.  But it's not a binary thing.  Everyone of those cases, or most, represent an infection.  And some % of those infections also means someone is sick and in the hospital.  Even young people are getting their asses kicked and are ending up on ventilators.  Many of those will have permanent damage as a result.  So simply focusing in deaths alone implies that the rest are all happy and safe.  You know that is not the case.  

The fact is that both the leadership has failed us on this and the individual selfish cunts out there with no personal responsibility or care for their fellow human being caused this latest outbreak.  I don't fault states for reopening, but it was done poorly and about in the worst possible way.  With some simple steps, we would be in a far better place now than we are.  We are seeing the consequences of those failed actions and missed opportunities. 

Bullshitting now that the only thing that matters is the body count is missing the big picture.

And I would submit that focusing on cases is flawed because by cases we mean identified cases not the actual number of cases which is a value we have never known. I will agree that when the percentage of tests that come back positive is increasing there is a growing problem.

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

Look at Steam Flyer's map and tell me how it will look when we hit the predicted infection rate of 60% - 70%. How will that affect the economy? and the biggest question is why is the United States one of the few who will look like that?

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

And I would submit that focusing on cases is flawed because by cases we mean identified cases not the actual number of cases which is a value we have never known. I will agree that when the percentage of tests that come back positive is increasing there is a growing problem.

:lol: as dumb as Fucking Shitstain.

20 minutes ago, Dog said:

This?

image.thumb.png.2e220f80f6d909c6640e581840b68bb6.png

From the end of April thru the 3d week of June, looks great.

How do you account for that saw tooth in the graph? How about the last two weeks? Looks like cases go up & down with a general trend of slightly up.

Considering that the rate of new cases is starting to get vertical, do you suppose deaths will really go down in the next month or so?? If yes, why?

- DSK

Screenshot (134).png

• Downvote 5

15 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

That is concerning.

9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

This?

image.thumb.png.2e220f80f6d909c6640e581840b68bb6.png

From the end of April thru the 3d week of June, looks great.

How do you account for that saw tooth in the graph? How about the last two weeks? Looks like cases go up & down with a general trend of slightly up.

Considering that the rate of new cases is starting to get vertical, do you suppose deaths will really go down in the next month or so?? If yes, why?

- DSK

I expect we will follow the same pattern as other countries further along the curve with a slow tapering off. 

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

That is concerning.

I expect we will follow the same pattern as other countries further along the curve with a slow tapering off. 

Why would you expect that, when we're not taking the same anti-viral measures they have been taking?

- DSK

46 minutes ago, Dog said:

Sigh.....

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why would you expect that, when we're not taking the same anti-viral measures they have been taking?

- DSK

Because that's the typical pattern for pandemics. That said a second wave is also a common pattern so I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

Because that's the typical pattern for pandemics. That said a second wave is also a common pattern so I could be wrong.

On a macro scale, sure.

However, there's a big BIG difference between 2 million Americans dying in this pandemic, and less than 100,000 dying from it. There are a lot of countries who are doing far far better at preventing mass deaths.

Do you think mass death due to a preventable disease is a good thing? Is that why you are urging us "along the typical pattern for pandemics"? After all, everybody is going to die sooner or later, and 100 years from now this will just be one of the more boring pages in a dusty history book. Why should we give a fuck?

- DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Do you think mass death due to a preventable disease is a good thing? I'm thinking...I'm thinking... Ummm no. Is that why you are urging us "along the typical pattern for pandemics"? I'm not urging anything, I just expect a typical pattern.

- DSK

5 minutes ago, Dog said:
10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Do you think mass death due to a preventable disease is a good thing?

I'm thinking...I'm thinking... Ummm no.

If that is true, then why are you defending Trump's inaction to protect the country, and his actions in actively hindering the medical establishment from doing it's job?

6 minutes ago, Dog said:
11 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

...  Is that why you are urging us "along the typical pattern for pandemics"?

I'm not urging anything, I just expect a typical pattern.

Why do you "expect a typical pattern" for one thing, when what 40% of the country is doing (and dragging the rest with it) is something very very different? The "typical pattern" for an unchecked pandemic is for cases to rise exponentially, followed by deaths rising exponentially, until about 75% of the population has had the disease.

Right now, less than 1% of the US has had it. And you expect it to start tapering off, without serious, major, medical intervention?

- DSK

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

If only we had stuck to using the ebola thread instead of bullshit, we would all be at the beach right now.

I read that “we’ll all be in the bleach”....

50 minutes ago, Dog said:

That is concerning.

Why would you expect that? Seriously. The shit is accelerating again because “freedom.” 

We’re the grand experiment for herd immunity.

6 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Why would you expect that? Seriously. The shit is accelerating again because “freedom.” 

We’re the grand experiment for herd immunity idiocy.

Typhoid Mary in a MAGA hat.

250,000 new cases in five days, hospitalizations are spiking, half of Florida's cases in the last five days. Dr. Fauci warns the US could be seeing 100k/day (which is why he is no longer allowed to do TV).

Nothing to see here, so just move along.

51 minutes ago, Dog said:

Sheesh,  and you Trump 'tards have made sure we aren't even out of the first wave yet.  Second wave could be even more nasty than what we are seeing now. 

5 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Sheesh,  and you Trump 'tards have made sure we aren't even out of the first wave yet.  Second wave could be even more nasty than what we are seeing now. 

if we just stop testing, there will be no second wave.  We just have to let everyone get it in the first wave, and keep the goalposts moving so nobody talks about the bad stuff.  

Hey, look at what those blacks are doing! 

43 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

If that is true, then why are you defending Trump's inaction to protect the country, and his actions in actively hindering the medical establishment from doing it's job?

I haven't defended any inaction by Trump or attempts to hinder the medical establishment. 

Why do you "expect a typical pattern" for one thing, when what 40% of the country is doing (and dragging the rest with it) is something very very different? The "typical pattern" for an unchecked pandemic is for cases to rise exponentially, followed by deaths rising exponentially, until about 75% of the population has had the disease.

Right now, less than 1% of the US has had it. And you expect it to start tapering off, without serious, major, medical intervention? 

Well deaths have tapered off already. The shape of our curve is not unlike that of other countries.

- DSK

1 minute ago, Dog said:
58 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well deaths have tapered off already. The shape of our curve is not unlike that of other countries.

That's just a fucking lie, based on the graph that YOU provided a link to.

Bullshit is very ineffective at fighting a virus

- DSK

3 hours ago, Dog said:

For perspective.   This is the most useful map I've seen.  Instead of circles by cluster size, which is meaningless when comparing urban vs rural, Nebraska vs Phoenix, this looks at relative risk of becoming an anti trump statistic.   What are the odds the person standing next to you has just infected you?   This comes close to answering that.    Your own health status can help predict survival, hospitalization, etc, but virus load and luck enter the equation as well as excess pounds and other health issues.  

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/   How the US ranks compared to other countries.  If this defaults to the US hit the worldwide button on the left.   

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/   How the US looks on a county level.   Hot spots is an understatement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

That's just a fucking lie, based on the graph that YOU provided a link to. No...it's not

Bullshit is very ineffective at fighting a virus

- DSK

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:
2 hours ago, Dog said:

Sigh.....

Yeah.  He will "agree that when the percentage of tests that come back positive is increasing there is a growing problem". 

When provided data indicating that is the case, he is "concerned".  That's barely above a "meh" and only slightly below "nothing-burger".

Just now, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

Oh but the State Governors will save us right????

Since the President punted to them, I guess so.

1 minute ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

"Drink Bleach"

Hey be fair now.

He also said that we could some how shine a light inside the body. That would knock out the virus in a minute! In just one minute!!

- DSK

Maybe we should use it to clean Plane windshields as well, you want green or red Laser Pointers?

16 minutes ago, Lark said:

For perspective.   This is the most useful map I've seen.  Instead of circles by cluster size, which is meaningless when comparing urban vs rural, Nebraska vs Phoenix, this looks at relative risk of becoming an anti trump statistic.   What are the odds the person standing next to you has just infected you?   This comes close to answering that.    Your own health status can help predict survival, hospitalization, etc, but virus load and luck enter the equation as well as excess pounds and other health issues.  

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/   How the US ranks compared to other countries.  If this defaults to the US hit the worldwide button on the left.   

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/   How the US looks on a county level.   Hot spots is an understatement.

Excellent stuff.

And I have to say "god damnit California, clean it up!"

25 minutes ago, Lark said:

Holy cow.  Thank you.  

3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Today, Trump demands an apology from Bubba Wallace, hoping to build his own popularity stirring racial tension.

tyler.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

"Drink Bleach"

At least you'll smell better in your state of death.

29 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Yeah.  He will "agree that when the percentage of tests that come back positive is increasing there is a growing problem". 

When provided data indicating that is the case, he is "concerned".  That's barely above a "meh" and only slightly below "nothing-burger".

It’s just entertainment to him.

36 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

According to your chart it rose from about 5% to about 7.5% after falling from over 20%. Not going to hit the panic button over that. Although I'm sure much of that earlier decline was do to the increased testing of the asymptomatic.

It's 109-degrees in Phoenix right now.  Maricopa County is getting hammered with new cases.  "coronavirus will 'miraculously' be gone by April 'once the weather warms up'"-Trump

What say you bullshitters?  Does anything he says matter?  But Dog will vote for him... because.. (fake) Jesus? Guns? (fake) Pro-life? Whiteness? Military funding?

3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Substitute Trump for Casey Jones and you can visualize a bunch of happy train riders.

Oh d' please don't substitute Trump for anything having to do with the Dead. Please give me fucking something he can't ruin.

11 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

It's 109-degrees in Phoenix right now.  Maricopa County is getting hammered with new cases.  "coronavirus will 'miraculously' be gone by April 'once the weather warms up'"-Trump

What say you bullshitters?  Does anything he says matter?  But Dog will vote for him... because.. (fake) Jesus? Guns? (fake) Pro-life? Whiteness? Military funding?

How many southern people spend much time outside in the heat?  I've been to NC in the summer, and had to promise my GF never to drag her to an unairconditioned boat down there in June again.   Why did we expect weather make a difference for those that live in HVAC controlled office buildings and go to parties in air conditioned homes?   Air Conditioning may influence the geography of US cases almost as much as politics.    Since the Midwest is baking in a heat wave of our own, that doesn't bode well for the next few weeks.     

Sunlight kills saliva protected COVID in about 7 minutes (15 minutes  in the early morning or under clouds.  That helps but doesn't eliminate the risk for a bunch of people clustered together at the beach or on the crowded deck of a boat.   Add Fourth of July cookouts with shared condiment containers (even if outside) and we're in for a rough month or two.