Sign in to follow this  
VWAP

THE SPORTBOAT CAN BE SUSTAINABLE

I stand by my statement. The quality of those renderings display a lack of real insight and engineering into the actual design and I think they get halfway through the build before it gets paused because they realize they need a lot more $$ to produce a finished design that sails.

The announcement is the builders fishing for people to buy in and help them finish the boat and the design. 

• Like 1

My sportboat doesn’t have flax fiber and I don’t care about the glass in the resin that can’t be recycled personally. But if they can get past prototypes into production, cost and results will be the same. How do you recycle flax fiber from the resin? Does the resin get recycled? I’m curious to know. 

I am partial to the Fareast line of boats. I might sell or trade this 28r in for a 23r shoal draft for gunkholing with the kids. 

96B36D8E-FCD3-4DB7-8677-FFBB57A844C4.jpeg

You sure could "recycle" a lot of Melges 24's for that pre-order cost...

8 minutes ago, oldskool said:

You sure could "recycle" a lot of Melges 24's for that pre-order cost...

What pre-order cost are you seeing, all I can see is the refundable deposit of 500Euro  (note euro comma is a decimal point) and a price list TBA

3 hours ago, jackolantern said:

It's been a while since we had renderings of vaporware that will never get built.

Well to be fair, this design already got built as RAN. It looks like this company just used their drawings.

My deck has a balsa core - I wish my boat was less biodegradable, not more.

The boat is probably just a conceptual demonstration. Maybe it makes more sense to make car bodies out of this stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

My sportboat doesn’t have flax fiber and I don’t care about the glass in the resin that can’t be recycled personally. But if they can get past prototypes into production, cost and results will be the same. How do you recycle flax fiber from the resin? Does the resin get recycled? I’m curious to know. 

I am partial to the Fareast line of boats. I might sell or trade this 28r in for a 23r shoal draft for gunkholing with the kids. 

96B36D8E-FCD3-4DB7-8677-FFBB57A844C4.jpeg

Sportsboats weigh under 1000kg.

That is not a sports boat, sorry

15 minutes ago, lydia said:

That is a ridiculous and arbitrary cutoff. There are plenty of 25-30 footers that prove you dead wrong. Cone?

5 hours ago, lydia said:

My boat was the sportboat of the year in 2016. It was the boat in the centerfold  shot in fact. That’s why I call it a sportboat. It does 25mph+ so... 

6615981F-DDFB-4F15-95EC-36C3478F7C11.jpeg

But not a sportsboat. :ph34r:

still a very fine boat. I sailed the 23r, never knew there was a shoal draft version. Gosh, learned two things today, and right here in the sa forums. Who wouda thunk.

it will be interesting to see how the flax fiber with self separating bond between resin and fiber looks after 15 or so years on the water.

what bonehead decided a sportboat displacement criteria of <1000kg?  Is that in some rulebook somewhere or does some all-knowing sailboat god determine such bullshit?  who coined the term sportboat anyway?  stupid..

rant over... back to work.

43 minutes ago, bgytr said:

it will be interesting to see how the flax fiber with self separating bond between resin and fiber looks after 15 or so years on the water.

what bonehead decided a sportboat displacement criteria of <1000kg?  Is that in some rulebook somewhere or does some all-knowing sailboat god determine such bullshit?  who coined the term sportboat anyway?  stupid..

rant over... back to work.

Seems like SAD should be in the equation somewhere... 

• Like 2

Actually, we don't need to go to flax for 100% recyclability. It is not a bad thing, but it is not necessary to use degrading plant material for sustainable composite construction.

Note that plants are actually very inefficient at converting energy into matter, which is why farms have to be so enormous.

Burton snow boards are the example. The now late Mr Burton hated to see (and pay for) the amount of waste going out of his factory. So he worked (spent real money) with chemical companies to come up with a solution. They did!

An additive to resin was developed that causes the resin to completely detach itself at a molecular level from fibers, given the proper amount of heat. So now, Burton tosses the trimmings from the snow boards (carbon or glass laminated into resin) into an oven, heats it to 450 degrees C (I think that is right), and the resin comes out perfectly clear and clean, and the fibers look like they have never been used: shiny as can be.

The resin is then re-used, and the fibers are re-used in smaller parts, and eventually as almost powder in 3d printed parts.

Burton has zero waste. No dumpsters! No land fill fees. And no purchased raw materials that do not go into actual product.

And an old used snowboard board can be recycled, getting that clean resin out and clean cloth out to be used for another board.

The cost of the resin additive is very low. So the economic result is more profit.

This additive has been exposed to very many boat builders at the annual IBEX (International Boat Builders Expo) that is usually in Tampa at the beginning of October. This is an industry only show, and one I attend almost every year for the past decade or so. Very interesting to see the impressive advancements being made in composite construction.

There are other shows and news outlets related to sustainable composite construction, as composites are not just for boats: boats are a tiny fraction of composite industry. Lots of car parts of course, but even things like roadway bridges and building structures are now being made with composites. The amount of global effort going into sustainable composite construction is very, very significant.

• Like 3

Hey carcrash, question for you.  That's pretty cool!  It brings to mind a question though.  How viable over longer periods of time is this approach?  Said another way, I get that you might get a new snowboard every 5 years or so, and that car parts might get recycled (at least from cars in accidents, etc) lets say every 10 years.  But as many of us are sailing composite boats that are 30 or 40 years old, how commercially viable would 40 year old resin and fiber be?  Or will it need to be "post processed" into something more commercially viable/ usable?

Crash

• Like 1

Both tensile strength and youngs modulus values I saw in tech journals of hemp vs glass fiber showed the glass fiber about 8 to 10 times higher for both values.   One of the tech articles discussed the propensity for water absorption of the hemp with degradation of mechanical properties.  Likely not ideal in a marine environment, unless you are certain that water won't wick into the fibers at some point.  I wouldn't take a 20 yr old hemp composite boat on an offshore passage, you can be damn sure. But have at it if you want to.